Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windows 10

ohaphazardo
ohaphazardo
✭✭✭
Hi
I've been running the game on a 3 year old Chillblast gaming PC using Windows 7.
Microsoft is dropping support fro that next year apparently.
I heard of some nightmare issues with Windows 10, especially double clicks.
Does the game run ok on Window 10 now?
TIA
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issues been running on 10 since launch
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had very few issues with Win10 and no issues related to Win10 and ESO.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this game on both W7 and W10. It runs just fine on either one.

The thing with Windows 10 is you want to do a clean install of it and not upgrade. That used to give best results. Is that still the case now since they have made so many changes to W7 to make it act like W10? Not sure. But even with older versions of MS OS, it was always best to start fresh.

Me, I am going to be buying a clean SSD and install the OS on that. You can get a 500GB for less than $100 now.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• everlastingodeb17_ESO
    everlastingodeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who still uses windows nowadays? Mac for life
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭

People that doesnt work with sound or image processing, and people that like to have lots of games to install :)

Win10 rules, you just need to make a fresh install instead of upgrading directly, and keep it on a newer version (the first versions were full of bugs).
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    Grungebr - Altmer magicka templar
    Eölbr - Dunmer magicka necro
    Drizztbr - Khajiit stamina nb
    "In my thoughts and in my dreams, they're always in my mind
    These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men, and elves
    Come close your eyes, you can see them too...
    "

• Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You won't notice any difference in game performance by just changing operating system as long as you have same or similar hardware (and GPU drivers). Graphic support is similar on both platforms.

Why would you run a 12 year old OS containing more security holes than a Swiss cheese though?
    EU PC
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People that want to play Elite Dangerous.

FD turned off Mac support LOL.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As said. You MUST do a complete fresh install then you will be fine.

If you upgrade the win 7 OS you will suffer greatly.
    Edited by Skwor on May 15, 2019 5:29PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the two years that I've been playing ESO, it's been on Windows 10, and I've never experienced any problems-- that is, aside from the usual lags and stutters and disconnects and "This account is already logged in" stuff, which has nothing to do with Windows 10. I have no idea what this "double-click" issue is that you mentioned. The only time I've had any issues that might be blamed on Windows 10 is when an anti-virus scan or a download for a huge update started in the background and caused the game to crap out due to the amount of internet connection and CPU time that was going toward the background task, but that can happen under any version of Windows.

As far as playing on a Mac, I recently tried to play ESO on a MacBook Air, but there were all sorts of horrible graphics issues that made it utterly unplayable. That was a bitter disappointment, because my Windows 10 laptop died a couple of months ago and I was hoping to use my MacBook Air to be able to play ESO whenever I was away from home.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: Misread the comment I was replying to. Mods please delete!

Edited by Tandor on May 15, 2019 8:26PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running Windows 10 and never had an issue.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    ... The thing with Windows 10 is you want to do a clean install of it and not upgrade ...

I did the free upgrade about a year ago when i built myself a new gaming computer (yes, you can still do the free upgrade!) and everything went smooth, no problems at all.

The key for me to make w10 a pleasant experience is to spent a day and turn off each and every "feature" that is trying to turn my desktop into an oversized phone.

I got it to be pretty close to what my old w7 was like ...
    :smile:

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had one issue since I started using Windows 10 over 2 years ago and it may not even be a Windows 10 issue.

Camera would start moving in circles which is actually a High DPI mouse issue and there is a setting in properties for the execute file you just override the high dpi scaling behavior. It was easy and did not affect the performance of the mouse. I certainly have not had any serious issues and the game runs fine.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

The thing with Windows 10 is you want to do a clean install of it and not upgrade. That used to give best results. Is that still the case now since they have made so many changes to W7 to make it act like W10? Not sure. But even with older versions of MS OS, it was always best to start fresh.

Me, I am going to be buying a clean SSD and install the OS on that. You can get a 500GB for less than $100 now.

You may well be able to, but with games taking anything up to 100GB or more each these days you really don't want to be stinting on the size of the hard drive.

I leave my OS drive pretty free of games and programs. Makes reformatting a much easier proposition not having to reinstall all my games.

While I have my OS on a 500GB drive, I have a couple of TBs of drives that have games on them. I won't have to fully reinstall any of those, just initialize them
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running on an upgrade version from when 10 first released. I don't update anything but the security stuff, and the OS has always worked perfectly. I don't have any issues at all with any games or even older programs (like my seriously antique Paint Shop Pro 6, and my even more antique WordPerfect 9).

ESO runs just fine, as do Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only issue I've ever had with windows 10 is when I try using the steam eso client. In order for me to run the steam version of the client, I actually have to launch steam in compatibility mode for windows 7 otherwise the steam ESO client doesn't recognize the steam connection.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ... The thing with Windows 10 is you want to do a clean install of it and not upgrade ...

I did the free upgrade about a year ago when i built myself a new gaming computer (yes, you can still do the free upgrade!) and everything went smooth, no problems at all.

The key for me to make w10 a pleasant experience is to spent a day and turn off each and every "feature" that is trying to turn my desktop into an oversized phone.

^ This, look up how to kill Cortana, Superfetch, and some of the forced update features and you'll be fine.
    love is love
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

^ This, look up how to kill Cortana, Superfetch, and some of the forced update features and you'll be fine.

Yeah, that too! Damned proprietary crap....
  • BrianLovesLisa
    BrianLovesLisa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

people that want to hear the mac users cry "when will the game support mac"
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 Problems with my Windows Version

Untitled.jpg
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi
    I've been running the game on a 3 year old Chillblast gaming PC using Windows 7.
    Microsoft is dropping support fro that next year apparently.
    I heard of some nightmare issues with Windows 10, especially double clicks.
    Does the game run ok on Window 10 now?
    TIA

The main issue I have with Win 10 is the background updates that bog your CPU and force you to restart. I had to manually disable those. I also do music production and can have over 80 synth instaces open without too much issue now that I disabled all of that.
    Edited by D0PAMINE on May 15, 2019 11:58PM
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using Windows 10 since it's release. Works fine with all the games I have. I do suggest though you get a program like CCleaner and remove all the "bloat ware" in the O.S. There is a LOT. Takes about twenty minutes to remove it all but well worth it.

Other than the bloat ware it works great.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get a 1TB SSD now for under a hundred or just at a hundred. I bought a Sandisk PLUS 1 TB SSD for $95 on XXXazon a few weeks ago.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, thats funny.

You were gaming all this time on a mac?
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    honestly in it state right now, i can personally and comfortably say that Win10 probably the best OS after win XP, its light and fast

but of course theres concern about privacy....but eh, after disabling most of the privacy setting and cover up the webcam, it should be fine...on most part
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • deadsheepb14_ESO
    deadsheepb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The only issue I've ever had with windows 10 is when I try using the steam eso client. In order for me to run the steam version of the client, I actually have to launch steam in compatibility mode for windows 7 otherwise the steam ESO client doesn't recognize the steam connection.

I use Windows 10 and the Steam client and every thing works fine. I have never had to use compatibility mode to launch ESO.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can enter in google "device/video game/OS/anything" + "doesn't work"
    and google will find TON of compains about it.

Does it mean all that bad? No.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No issues whatsoever