Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is actual drop rate of Maelstrom Inferno Staff?

• SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, i remember farming the inferno and lightning in sharpened before transmutation and farming bows in sharp, nirn, and precise

And players still want a token system with transmutation out, rip
  • luccerton
    luccerton
    ✭✭
    Rerum wrote: »
    Hello there.

Just for chill a bit. I've done about 30 runs in vMA last week(honestly on last week i'm only started doing vMA cause i'm playing ~3 months) and wtf s going on...i've got every kind of weapons(most of them 3-4 times) and 0 inferno staffs. Few times i've had 3 restoration staffs in a row, 2 bows in a row, 2 battleaxes in a row...This is just makes me mad. The probability of this is way higher than getting inferno staff? I know that this is game, not the end of the world and etc. But people doing vMA for 2 things - bow/inferno(sometimes lightning) and leaderboards. And farm needed staff such a pain. I've reached more or less comfortable point when i'm doing vMA in ~52 minutes, just mindless 52 minutes, but in the end it's always dissapointment cause of flawless rng that all devs loves as their children. I'm not agains rng in loot when you have up to 12 people who can get what you need and give away or trade it(in most disgusting cases), but not in solo content which is not the fastest and easiest for a lot of people. Why just not did a exchange, in example, 50 weapons on 1 that you needed. Is devs really think that farm vMA half of year or more is fun?

Sorry for my english. And thanks for reading. Mb someone can give an answer on the question in the title.

I got mine in 3 runs, and now I need the bow for my stambuilds but I only get infernostaffs. Feelsbadman.
    Also known as pyroxius, fanatic twitch fan and youtube content creator!
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC5o2wbJtblWL3v5FRaoiNkA?view_as=subscriber
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the drop rate is 1/12

Back in the day it was much worse because it had to be sharpened to be usable and, furthermore, the loot table was first into 4 roles (stam dps, mag dps, tank, and heal) and each of those four dropped with equal frequency. This added another bad multiplier to the rng as you tended to pile up lots of tank and heals weapons since there were few weapons for each role and few dps ones. The drop rate at that time for a sharpened inferno was 1/144. How is that for sucking.

For what it is worth, the staff is not that great for dps. It costs a 4 and 5 pc bonus on 1 bar and it's benefit is highly dependent on maintaining a light attack rotation which I can't do with resource management anyway. If I wasn't doing infallible on the opposite bar where my full heavy is primarily for a group buff I wouldn't use it and loose a 4 and 5 peice buff on the bar with it. I expect that if I switch to false god devotion next patch I will loose the vMA staff altogether. It's really less than impressive.

The only vMA weapon I am a fan of is the resto on my pvp toon that has heals on 1 bar and dps on the other. It is good for regen and loosing a penetration 5pc bonus on the heals bar is irrelevant. I hear the bow is also worth while but I don't play stam much so I really can't say.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my stats...

Ice Staves: 3
    Resto Staves: 17
    Sword & Shield: 11
    Lightning Staves: 2
    2Handers: 0
    Dual Wield: 24
    Bows: 41
    Inferno Staves: 0

It's not a great drop rate, I'd say.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello there.

Just for chill a bit. I've done about 30 runs in vMA last week(honestly on last week i'm only started doing vMA cause i'm playing ~3 months) and wtf s going on...i've got every kind of weapons(most of them 3-4 times) and 0 inferno staffs.

The more you want it, the less it's probably to drop. Lol
    Just relax, you will get it.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first drop was the fire staff. Just saying lol
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got the inferno staff today!

I was bored and a bit tired, so I decided to go for a MA run and maybe try flawless. It went pretty well, but then I somehow managed to die in the spider arena. The run went downhill from there on. I took insane ammounts of damage in the Igneous Cistern and died 4-5 times there (I almost never die in this arena) and when I made it to the last arena, I was already tilted and died A F**ING LOT. For the first time in my vMA career, I failed to Voriak grabbing three golden ghosts, which always spawned right behind him and I was never fast enough to get them first. At some point, I decided to push the mental reset button, frank a coffee, got back in and killed him. This was probably the shakiest, crappiest run ever, but it payed off.
    Edited by thorwyn on May 5, 2019 3:43PM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't know if it's a coincidence that my first leaderboard reward was a lightning charged staff. he thinks i'm a joke doesn't he.

I still am going for a flame staff, but i did some research and read that it's not a huge dps difference until you get above 50k, and i parse at 45k rn.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Yvarhna
    Yvarhna
    ✭✭✭
    On my pet sorc I got so many two handed mauls that it became a bit of a joke. No inferno or lightning staff, and only 1 bow. That was doing it 15 times on this char.

My non pet sorc got a lightning staff on first go.

I have now done VMA 22 times. Still no inferno staff and not seen another lightning either.

I wonder how it will be on a stamina based class.... I will soon test this and see.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just completed it on my stamblade for the first time.

Need a bow, of course I didnt get that BUT one of my mag characters now has a VMA inferno staff
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Mirrrr
    Mirrrr
    ✭✭✭
    I have 5 clears. First 1 got a bow. I got 2 restos. I think a sword and board. The last time it was on my stamblade and I got the Inferno
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its random, had the same problem with the bow, got the inferno staff on my 4th run but needed 30+ runs for a single bow...for others i know it was exact the opposite, they got bows over and over again but no inferno staff...
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • S1L3NTL4DY420
    S1L3NTL4DY420
    ✭✭
    My newest character; she’s managed to get 2 inferno staves in 3 runs. I don’t know what’s up with her RNG.

When I started running it initially probably 2 years ago now, it took me 100+ runs to get just the one though... What would be nice is a couple more lightning, just in case!
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    got my inferno on the 2nd run (wanted the lightning) 40 runs 9 resto 12 bows ect ect later i got lucky with the lightning staff, the RNG sucks you just got to stick at it
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭

Think I got all your Infernos..

Understand RNG is RNG
    But 21 runs this week thus far

20 Staves (6 Inferno, 6 Lightening, 5 Restoration, 3 Frost)
    1 2h Maul

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for chill, you do vMA ? Lol I'd find jumping off a cliff wearing shoes with sharp rocks inside and landing on my feet more chill than doing vma 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never got it. I got the lightning staff on my 3rd vma run then stopped because I find it too tedious. I'm happy with the staff just want the bow at this point when I decide to go it again
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive done 12 runs and gave up no destruction or resto staves in those the runs it sucks I really need a lighting stave to really max out my dps. and I think Malestrom is the worst most boring content in the game and why they put the best weapon

they defiantly need arena tokens for VDSA, VMA and VBRP
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • mimisapje
    mimisapje
    ✭✭✭
    Im in the same boat,
    i have literally all types of vma weapons except for the lightning or inferno staff.
    And my scoreboards gifts always seems to give me resto staves. (Seems like Zos just wants me to stick to healing or become a stam dd)

I really like doing vma, but the behemoth (7) puts me off because of the bugs.
    When he goes into his rage mode and start screaming, the mage puts up her shield, and suddenly a poison flower spawns right next to her. Or another 'fun' bug is, when he goes into rage mode, but he doesn't start screaming, and the mage doesn't put up her shield, YET i die from the scream attack;
    PC EU
    Falure - Breton Templar - Healer
    Lady Aurora Bellamont - Breton Templar - PVP
    Meluse - Imperial Templar - DD
    Nahzgra gra-Shatur - Orc Sorc - DD
    Elvanari - Breton Sorc - DD
    Ghathwen - Bosmer Warden - DD
    Nirathwen - Imperial Necro - DD
    Orci Porci - Orc Necro - DD
    Lexus Attius - Imperial DK - Tank
    Araure - Redguard NB - DD
    Mazikeen The Soulless - Breton Necro - DD
    Naevas of House Redoran - Dunmer DK - PVP
    Alisenwe - Altmer NB - DD
    Daddy Dawnbreaker- Breton Templar - Tank
  • KronikFlatulenz
    KronikFlatulenz
    ✭✭✭
    I went into maelstrom my first time looking for a lightning staff, got it my very first try. My friend has gone in dozens of times looking for a lightning staff and still does not have one. I got my flame staff on my third try. Its just RNG. I have no idea if theres a secret formula. But the way I see it, is itll drop sooner or later so ill just keep trying til it does. In the meantime there are other weapons that do just fine.
  • walidd24nrb18_ESO
    walidd24nrb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    100+ runs and no bow.

Done with that content. Just gonna run magica builds in pve.

I got the bow in my 3rd run XDD need the inferno staff tho.... U never drop what u need :/ got ice staff and dagger/shield
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    100+ runs and no bow.

Done with that content. Just gonna run magica builds in pve.

I got the bow in my 3rd run XDD need the inferno staff tho.... U never drop what u need :/ got ice staff and dagger/shield

because it is random and people dont usually go to the forums and post, or in this case, necro a thread, unless they have had really bad luck. the people that get the drops they want in the first 10 runs dont show up here, normally, and proclaim the game is too easy or that drops are fair. it just, generally, doesn't happen.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on December 3, 2019 6:02AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For players newer to vMA some get their desired weapon after only a few runs. Others have to do a couple dozen and probably sometimes more. For those with bad RNG it can be a pain.

Who remembers back when it was about 1/100 chance to get your perfect weapon because we needed the weapon in the correct trait?
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 in 1st 4 runs when I played for a bit on PC NA. + 2 Bows in total 1sr 5 runs. Mind it that it was during Writhgar event.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First Try : BOW Precise
    Second Try : 2h Maul Precise
    Third Try: Inferno Staff precise
    Fourth try: Bow Infused

So it takes 3 tries
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    First Try : BOW Precise
    Second Try : 2h Maul Precise
    Third Try: Inferno Staff precise
    Fourth try: Bow Infused

So it takes 3 tries

For you it did.
    I got an inferno on my first run, bow on my second. I now have 3 or 4 of each.

Others are not so lucky
    Beta tester November 2013
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I firmly believe that every time I consider doing vMA and then say "nah, cba" are the exact times that the inferno staff or bow would've dropped.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Ardan147
    Ardan147
    ✭✭✭✭
    Four times so far (3 on magsorc, 1 on magplar) and I get TWO effiin frost staves. WTF???

Maybe it should be possible to change the elemental type for destruction staves, the way we can change the traits on items. I don't even care if it costs 100 transmute crystals or whatever. Or remove maelstrom frost staves from the drop table entirely.

If I am going to go through nine rounds of that grueling ordeal, I should expect to get something that might actually be USEFUL! (Or at the very least, be made into something that can be useful instead of something that will probably just be deconstructed).

EDIT: Or maybe be able to get them from a Maelstrom achievement vendor (i.e., you'd have to clear vMA before being able to purchase them). How many times do they really expect us to run the same content over and over again?
    Edited by Ardan147 on December 14, 2019 6:00AM
    This creature called a songbird. What a devious creation! This winged nuisance erodes sanity with its incessant chirping. What a brilliant form of torture!
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just got mine today, nice bonus it was my first no sigil + no death run too.

I think I saw the first one in 15ish runs.

I have seen probably 7 bows so far though.
    Edited by karekiz on December 14, 2019 7:18PM
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/68 in my experience