The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Okay. I broke. Want to play the game again. Just one question though:

Kalgert
Kalgert
✭✭✭✭✭
How can I convince myself that the overworld content is worth playing and is definitely enjoyable to play through, and isn't nothing more than an unsatisfyingly easy experience, without having to do things to give it a bit of a challenge (Running around naked, not putting in Champion Points, etc.).

It seems to be a very useful superpower to have, to be able to convince myself that it's enjoyable. Which Infinity Stone will allow that?
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The mind stone.
    But I don't think even that could make you believe overland was enjoyable. :lol:
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reality stone...
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed playing Summerset and Vvardenfell as I suspect they were balanced for: on a new character with no CP.

If that doesn't appeal, and you don't want to balance your characters for the content, I suggest finding a roleplaying reason for why your character rips through quest content like wet tissue paper. My solution was simple: my dungeon-ready stam sorc DD is also my Dark Brotherhood Silencer. Of course she's super lethal in combat!
    Options
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    These types of threads are just plain ignorant, they serve to misinform and turn new players away from a great game.. Overland is plenty of challenge for a new player with no CP, no gear and no gold.

For someone who has played since 2015 of course it should be easy for you. Try growing up in the game and move on to dungeons / trials or PVP already.
    Edited by Skwor on April 29, 2019 9:43PM
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, one thing I would like to say though... It'd be nice to see the game provide some scaling tools that could let you tailor your experience to the way you like.
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    These types of threads are just plain ignorant, they serve to misinform and turn new players away from a great game.. Overland is plenty of challenge for a new player with no CP, no gear and no gold.

For someone who has played since 2015 of course it should be easy for you. Try growing up in the game and move on to dungeons / trials or PVP already.

I was going to say it a little nicer, but basically this...
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay. Fine, but there is a certain point to be had with this. As soon as you get yourself in grips with the game, it's likely that the game won't feel that super challenging.

I guess the thing I miss is Veteran Zones pre-One Tamriel update. Also no, no Dungeons, Trials or PvP. Tried those, isn't really working out that well, will lead me to feel physical pain.
    Options
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kalgert wrote: »
    Running around naked

In real life or in the game? :o
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bananko wrote: »
    Running around naked

In real life or in the game? :o

Ingame, though I wouldn't shy away from running the streets in the nude... Though I don't think law enforcement would be too happy with me.
    Options
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm trying to do those overland base game quests, I think that I lost my imagination, that I became dumb, non-perceptive.. but it takes just to turn off ESO and launch absolutely any good game to see that problem is not with me. DLC quests are.. overall OK, some are even good or great. But base game.. it sucks, greatly, in 90% of cases. I don't know why really, MMO or not, there is something especially tedious and pointless and in-immersive in that content.. I guess it was better before one tamriel.
    And this has nothing to do with CP, golden gear etc. When I only started playing ESO it was completely the same, easy, pointless, tedious and in-immersive. There are exceptions, a lot of them, but they all sunk in those 2-3 mobs placed each 2 meters and each of them attacks you with snares, dialogues about somebody summoned something and you need to close 4 portals/find 4 body pieces.. it is simply awful, from all the dozens of games I ever played I don't remember anything so mind-numbly boring. Though I didn't played MMORPG before and mostly play only best games in the market.
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a tank?

You won't ever feel like anything can hurt you but it takes some real work to kill your enemies.
    Options
  • Bryath
    Bryath
    ✭✭✭

I have to disagree, I've been playing for 4 months and overland+delves were a cakewalk from about level 20-25 on. The game needs to be playable for very low dps characters (whether due to build or player skill) so I get it .... but I do think it's a legit problem for a lot of players.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. I find these threads interesting since the OP tends to know the answer and is just trying to stir things up. I find it entertaining that people look to open world for a challenge since it has been awhile since I have seen a major PvE MMORPG with challenging open world content.

If you want challenge there are the vet HM trials with a new one that is about to be released where we can turn on HM for pretty much every boss. After all, that is where skilled players go to for PvE challenge. Some DLCs can still offer a challenge.

Now, I realize that is not everyone's cup of tea so for a real challenge in a PvE zone I suggest going to a game with open world PvP since that will be where the most challenge is and were players go that want more unpredictable fights as PvE is always predictable.

In conclusion, if you are looking for challenging open world PvE you will not find it here and this thread does not seem likely to bring it about. It seems more likely that it is looking for an argument in the forums.

As someone who has spent plenty of time in the vet trials for challenging fights I will say I enjoyed the story line the recent chapters and DLCs have brought us. Well, Murkmire was not a fav, but everything else was.
    Edited by idk on April 29, 2019 10:10PM
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a tank?

You won't ever feel like anything can hurt you but it takes some real work to kill your enemies.

Huh. Doesn't sound like a dreadful idea. I do also have a Templar built as a tank. I could give that a bash.

Though at the same time, it is a different extreme, where I am immortal, but can't really hurt back. Though I guess it's better than nothing.
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh... You sound absolutely paranoid @idk

And yeah. I'm aware that the overland won't be getting any updates to make it "Harder". Doesn't mean people can't remember the days before One Tamriel, where Champion ranks were a thing and after you were done with your faction's storyline, you could play through the other faction storylines and it would be at least moderately difficult.

At least that is how I remember things. And it wouldn't hurt the game to have tools that allow for tweaking things.
    Edited by Kalgert on April 29, 2019 10:17PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paranoid. LMAO. It would seem that I am right that you are just looking for an argument in the forums I you are suggesting I sound paranoid. That looks more like a lame attempt to bait. The fact you actually tagged me in that really proves the point. lol

And I do remember the days before 1T and overland was just as easy the day before it as the day after it. If you found it challenging, than good for you. If you are actually remembering your first days in the game 5 years ago then experience, or the lack of it, could be what you are really remembering.

But paranoid. Thx. I needed a laugh as there is nothing to be paranoid about your OP.
    Edited by idk on April 29, 2019 10:42PM
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone who gets it ...

If overland is the only playstyle a returning player willingly wants to play ... then it’s probably not time to come back to the game.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 29, 2019 10:46PM
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... what you are asking isn’t even hard.

Create a character. Really create a character. An actual character, like in a novel? Not just a set of numbers or a ‘build?’ Use actual creativity and imagination?

Then tell the story of that character through the landscape of the game. Create your own dialogue. Voice act. In short, ROLE PLAY.

I never get bored. That can only happen if my creativity runs out (which is never).
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it before One Tamriel people could artificially add difficulty to overland content by periodically skipping ahead - only 1/2 finishing a map or only doing the main story quests and avoiding killing anything that wasn't essential and then going on to stuff the game said you were too low level for. (Or skipping anything which was too difficult until you'd levelled up and it became easy.)

(I was playing back then but I'm a completionist - I'd rather not play a game at all than just play little bits of it out of order - so I had the opposite problem, I was always way above the recommended level. One Tamriel made the game noticeably harder for me, not to the point where I couldn't complete it, although I wasn't soloing world bosses any more, but at least I got to use more than 2 skills per fight.)

Now that doesn't work, at least not in the same way, because everything is scaled. But the option is still there to adjust the difficulty to suit yourself. The game is balanced for level 50, 160CP characters, so of course going above that is going to make it easier, just like going back to level 20 content once you got to level 50 made it easier. So don't use all those champion points. Or use skills you find fun instead of the latest top DPS meta build, or "trash" sets (or no sets). Whatever works for you.

The way I see it making the best possible character with champion points way, way above what the game is balanced for and then complaining that it's easy is like playing a single-player RPG on "story mode" difficulty (aka easy mode) and complaining that it's easy. The option is there for you to make it harder if you want to.
    Edited by Danikat on April 29, 2019 10:52PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not now how I missed this. This guy gets it. The only think I would add is the game has content and different difficulty levels and those that are up for it seek that out. That is those who can handle the challenge of the tiered content.

Somehow I am sure I will be tagged as paranoid for that comment.
    Edited by idk on April 29, 2019 10:57PM
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Paranoid. LMAO. It would seem that I am right that you are just looking for an argument in the forums I you are suggesting I sound paranoid. That looks more like a lame attempt to bait. The fact you actually tagged me in that really proves the point. lol

And I do remember the days before 1T and overland was just as easy the day before it as the day after it. If you found it challenging, than good for you. If you are actually remembering your first days in the game 5 years ago then experience, or the lack of it, could be what you are really remembering.

But paranoid. Thx. I needed a laugh as there is nothing to be paranoid about your OP.

Only one laughing here is me. You really ARE paranoid, if you think I am looking to bait or try to stir an argument or whatever it was that you were suggesting that the thread wants to do.

Saying that someone feels like the content that someone might be interested in playing through (And really, it's the only thing that really could draw me in to wanting to play it, at the present), and wishes for something to make the overland a bit more difficult, if so is chosen?

And what about Bryath, who's been playing the game for four months and considers the game to be easy? And that's a newer player saying that. You don't think that's a bit... Sucky? Or will you say that they are someone who "Can't appreciate a good game"?

Edit: I saw your comment about the different level difficulties and such. I am not gonna call you paranoid. I will call you a *** because you seem to have only got the notion that I am not very satisfied (Which is kind of true), and then try to imply I am someone trying to stir trouble because... Reasons?

A difficulty slider would be nice
    Starlock wrote: »
    ... what you are asking isn’t even hard.

Create a character. Really create a character. An actual character, like in a novel? Not just a set of numbers or a ‘build?’ Use actual creativity and imagination?

Then tell the story of that character through the landscape of the game. Create your own dialogue. Voice act. In short, ROLE PLAY.

I never get bored. That can only happen if my creativity runs out (which is never).

Yeaaaah... I don't think you get what I am asking for.
    Danikat wrote: »
    The way I see it making the best possible character with champion points way, way above what the game is balanced for and then complaining that it's easy is like playing a single-player RPG on "story mode" difficulty (aka easy mode) and complaining that it's easy. The option is there for you to make it harder if you want to.

That is a fair point and all, but let me ask you this: What is the point of the Champion Points, if I am supposed to avoid using them up to get the desired effect of "Hey, the world is actually posing a challenge to me, now I can enjoy the game to some degree"?
    Edited by Kalgert on April 29, 2019 11:08PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, since there was no reason for you to paranoid to being with there is no doubt you are trying to stir the pot in a pathetic manner. The fact you tagged me, the only post you tagged someone on made it clear. Believe me. Nothing about you could make me paranoid, but you do make me laugh.

As for Bryath, there are skilled players that start the game off ahead of the curve. That does not mean anything. However, for you, one that claims to have played this game starting years ago, you should know better and a logical mind with that experience already knows the answer to the question you posed in the OP.

Paranoid, LMAO. Calling it what it really is, that is all I did and you are proving me right.

So if you want more challenging overland content I suggest you move on, as you should already know.

BTW, I am going to move on since the best you can do to bait me is to call me paranoid, LMAO. If you come up with something decent I will come back.
    Edited by idk on April 29, 2019 11:22PM
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you certainly prove me right on one point.

You are a ***.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kalgert, I can offer you a way to make every moment you spend in overland the most agonizingly difficult trip you've ever taken:

Get rid of your super internet, sign up with wildblue or hughesnet. Welcome to the Difficulty Stone with 2k+ ms ping.
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then perhaps you should be more clear and explain?

If you focus on character and story, overworld is definitely enjoyable. Yu develop a character around an actual concept, which means you will never be one-shotting overland mobs because that requires min-maxing. You instead use creative combinations that express your character. No more samey samey lack of diversity because you actually use your imagination.
    Options
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

Then perhaps you should be more clear and explain?

Okay, I will put it simply: A difficulty slider, or some other kind of tools that could allow me to play the game with the mobs being a bit harder. I am pretty sure there's technology that could allow this in the game, with the scaling and such.

Whenever i make a character in any game that allows for such, I first think of "Who is this character?", and then things go on from there.

What gave you the impression that I was talking about the game being boring because of, what I guess you thought was "Lack of creativity".
    Edited by Kalgert on April 29, 2019 11:47PM
    Options
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

We have decided it best to close this thread as it has gone south and does not really seem to be very constructive. When creating posts/threads, we ask that they be kept civil and constructive, as well as within the rules that we have in place, found here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.