Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some thoughts on race balance, a few weeks later

Aurielle
Aurielle
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Wrathstone has been out for a while now, as you all know. Initially, some of the racial changes seemed underpowered, even bizarre...

After re-rolling two of my characters as “off-meta” magicka characters, though, I can honestly say that I don’t think races have ever been more balanced — especially in no CP PVP. In fact, I would venture to say that there is no clear BIS race for any role in no-CP PVP anymore. Some races may have a slight edge, build depending, but since racial bonuses have been re-designed to function like gear set bonuses, you don’t absolutely HAVE to run stereotypical “magicka” races (and vice versa) to be effective; rather, you can use racial bonuses to fill in any gaps in your build.

Case in point: my mDK is now a Nord. Why? She’s in melee range most of the time, and needs to be a little tanker than ranged magicka classes (hence nord resistances, max health). Since she’s in melee range, she also needs to break free and dodge roll quite often (max stamina). She lacks a class execute as well and relies on Leap to serve that function, so the Nord’s ultimate regen also plays an important part in the build. This character hits almost as hard as my stereotypical magicka characters, and can survive well without having to invest in defensive gear.

In short, this thread is a belated thanks to the devs for achieving what I thought was impossible: racial choices that finally feel optional and allow you to round out a build, rather than define it. I’ve since rerolled my Templar as a melee Khajiit magickat in anticipation of Elsweyr (focused on sustain and crit jabs/crit heals), and am having a blast with it as well. If you’re on the fence about straying from meta racial choices, I’d encourage you to give it a go — you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
Edited by Aurielle on April 23, 2019 11:50PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awe we don't get many happy threads around especially lately. Thanks for sharing.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Awe we don't get many happy threads around especially lately. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. I am personally quite prone to taking to the forums with my concerns, rather than discussing the positives. I’ve been having SO much fun with my Nord mDK, though, and just had to share.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , if you could pass this feedback on to the devs, it would be much appreciated. :)
  • Peacatcher
    Peacatcher
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have a Breton stam DK, a Redguard magplar and an Altmer stam warden. They're all absolutely fine and the non traditional passives are actually useful for me.
    Ps4 EU
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish they could do something similar with classes, one can dream
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main has always been a Breton stamblade just play what you enjoy 😊
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Magicka races were pretty well balanced when the racial changes were first announced, then they went and nerfed Khajiit due to ridiculous forum hysteria. I'm still bitter!

For Sorcerers in particular, I think Bretons are the best choice. Shields and pets scale off Magicka only, so extra Spell Damage is not nearly as useful to us as the cost reduction. I'm happy with my Breton.

Edited by Emma_Overload on April 23, 2019 7:53PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main has always been a Breton stamblade just play what you enjoy 😊

I would have said that was a liability pre-Wrathstone, but since racial passives are now mostly flat stat bonuses rather than percentages, playing what you enjoy really IS viable!
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    I like the little sneaky Altmer extra sustain that is in the passive, at least for an altmer sorc.

Not sure what I mean -- do the math for base stam recovery, spell recharge, and dark conversion. It's a cute little dip into keeping that sustain high once you get used to the rhythm of it.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVP race doesn't matter that much because efficiency is much more skill-dependent then in PVE. I bet it's like 80% skill, 20% build, 0.1% race.

In PVE it's clearly 3 BiS races - main tank Nord, stamdps/offtank - Orc, magdps/healer - Breton.
    All others are behind by very small, but still notable margin and new food as we see it on PTS now only amplifies BiS races further:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/470344/new-food-doesnt-fix-balance

1. Only magicka has Purple and Gold quality maxHP/maxMagicka. It was not issue before, but now special food received scaling to CP160:
    - Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, 5652 HP, 5117 Magicka,
    - Bloody Mara, 5652 HP, 5117 Magicka, a drink! which means that it can be used with Bright-Throat set in PVP and deliver ultimate combination of stats 9117 base magicka, 5652 HP, 279 magicka recovery
    2. Sustain food:
    - Witchmother's brew - 2856 Magicka, 3094 HP, 315 recovery -> not good
    - CWC - 2975 Magicka, 3213 HP, 327 magicka recovery, 392 health recovery. Bright-throat+BloodyMara will be better.

3. Stamina doesn't have purple version of bi-stat food, so:
    - Rabbits with vegetables... 5395 HP, 4936 Stamina -> not good
    - Dubious Camorane - 2856 Stamina, 3094 HP, 315 recovery -> not good
    - ATB - 2975 Stamina, 3213 HP, 327 stamina recovery, 392 health recovery - maybe ok for non-vampires in PVP, on HP recovery builds, sometimes
    - Lava-foot soup 5117 Stamina,511 stamina recovery - new BiS, just compensate with health glyphs on armor and damage glyphs on weapon if required.

Racial conclusions:
    Breton+Fish Bowl/BloodyMara will be one and only BiS for magicka in PVE
    Orc+Lava-foot soup BiS for stamina like everywhere, because orc has one more 1k HP, so less to compensate with glyphs.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on April 24, 2019 4:23AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVP race doesn't matter that much because efficiency is much more skill-dependent then in PVE. I bet it's like 80% skill, 20% build, 0.1% race.

In PVE it's clearly 3 BiS races - main tank Nord, stamdps/offtank - Orc, magdps/healer - Breton.
    All others are behind by very small, but still notable margin and new food as we see it on PTS now only amplifies BiS races further:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/470344/new-food-doesnt-fix-balance

1. Only magicka has Purple and Gold quality maxHP/maxMagicka. It was not issue before, but now special food received scaling to CP160:
    - Bloody Mara, 5652 HP, 5117 Magicka, a drink! which means that it can be used with Bright-Throat set in PVP and deliver ultimate combination of stats 9117 base magicka, 5652 HP, 279 magicka recovery
    2. Sustain food:
    - CWC - 2975 Magicka, 3213 HP, 327 magicka recovery, 392 health recovery. Bright-throat+BloodyMara will be better.

- Dubious Camorane - 2856 Magicka, 3094 HP, 315 recovery -> not good
    - ATB - 2975 Stamina, 3213 HP, 327 stamina recovery, 392 health recovery - maybe ok for non-vampires in PVP, on HP recovery builds, sometimes
    - Lava-foot soup 5117 Stamina,511 stamina recovery - new BiS, just compensate with health glyphs on armor and damage glyphs on weapon if required.

Racial conclusions:
    Orc+Lava-foot soup BiS for stamina like everywhere, because orc has one more 1k HP, so less to compensate with glyphs.

I had hoped from my OP that it was obvious I was largely referring to PVP (no-CP PVP especially), but I guess it wasn’t. There will always be a BIS race and copy-pasted meta gear setup for PVE, sadly, because straying from the meta is verboten in PVE. Reason umpteen and one why I no longer run dungeons and trials. I enjoy theory crafting and playing against unpredictable opponents, but to each their own.
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uhm, wait? Are you talking about classes or races?

Talking about races, I think they messed things quite up. Why would the Altmer have a fake regen for the weaker damage attribute instead of the real magicka regen?

Why is the pay-for race, Imperial, a ridiculous carboncopy of the Nord? They have literally taken the Erial and just left the Imp. :s
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

2. Sustain food:

Racial conclusions:

As I recall Dubious Camoran is Stam, health and Stam recovery so your information appears to be incorrect. Stamina does indeed have a purple drink that works VERY well in most cases.
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An idea that my friends and I have been floating around is that Racial skill-lines should be buffed significantly. The idea is to have your chosen race be apart of your build choice and the idea was that Vampire and Werewolf would -replace- your race unless you have them cured.

Of course I'd like to see Vampire and Werewolf reworked as well (treat them as their own separate races, though you can't start as them because your starting race determines the base look of your character).

On the topic of buffing, I would definitely refrain from simply making some races good with stam and some good with mag. While High Elves are the masters of magic, they are not the masters of everything that deals with magicka, as there's various types of spiritual energy foci out there that they do not delve in. That is if they needed a lore reason to focus on things outside of attribute pools.
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They could have made choices or morphs of passives that do not allow min-maxing only, but rather gap closing.

Big chance wasted.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm, wait? Are you talking about classes or races?

Talking about races, I think they messed things quite up. Why would the Altmer have a fake regen for the weaker damage attribute instead of the real magicka regen?

Why is the pay-for race, Imperial, a ridiculous carboncopy of the Nord? They have literally taken the Erial and just left the Imp. :s

I’m talking about races... obviously, hence the title of this thread and the subject matter of my OP. I’m also talking about the way that the revamped races synergize with certain classes, and the fact that there is no longer one clear BIS race for certain classes/roles in PVP now that we have flat bonuses for racial passives.

That Altmer passive is pretty useful on a Sorc when you’re using Dark Conversion and breaking free from the million stuns, knockbacks, etc that you deal with in PVP. *shrug* My Altmer Sorc has only gotten stronger after the changes.

Edit: just noticed I fudged up one of the sentences in my OP. In my defense, I just worked three night shifts in a row and am still recovering. Hopefully the OP is clearer now.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 23, 2019 11:51PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Sustain food:

Racial conclusions:

As I recall Dubious Camoran is Stam, health and Stam recovery so your information appears to be incorrect. Stamina does indeed have a purple drink that works VERY well in most cases.

This is mistype obviously, i.e. copy from witchbrew since they are nerfed exactly the same one for magicka, and one from stamina.
    Aurielle wrote: »

2. Sustain food:

Racial conclusions:

I had hoped from my OP that it was obvious I was largely referring to PVP (no-CP PVP especially), but I guess it wasn’t. There will always be a BIS race and copy-pasted meta gear setup for PVE, sadly, because straying from the meta is verboten in PVE. Reason umpteen and one why I no longer run dungeons and trials. I enjoy theory crafting and playing against unpredictable opponents, but to each their own.

I agree that PVP-wise there is no problem with racial balancing. But were there problems with it before U21? Some health recovery stacking builds got a hit, ganking got a hit, but that's all. They nerfed playstyle, not races themselves since health recovery and damage from stealth was replaced with general stamina/magicka/health for those races.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Sustain food:

Racial conclusions:

This is mistype obviously, i.e. copy from witchbrew since they are nerfed exactly the same one for magicka, and one from stamina.

2. Sustain food:

Racial conclusions:

I agree that PVP-wise there is no problem with racial balancing. But were there problems with it before U21? Some health recovery stacking builds got a hit, ganking got a hit, but that's all. They nerfed playstyle, not races themselves since health recovery and damage from stealth was replaced with general stamina/magicka/health for those races.

I don’t think there were problems with balancing previously, per se, but you definitely were gimping yourself if you used traditional “stamina” races on magicka builds (and vice versa). The percent buffs to secondary stats were negligible if you were not already stacking those stats elsewhere in your build. Since they are now flat, raw stats, however (more like set bonuses than racial passives), you aren’t quite as restricted to running traditional “magicka” races. I would much rather have a flat 2000 raw stamina on a melee range magicka build than a piddly little 10% buff to stamina on that same build.
  • Maggi12
    Maggi12
    ✭✭✭
    I also made nord magicka sorc on my alt account, because of her passives. Her passive "gifts" her some extra ambrosia minutes (it becomes more important when we talk about aetherial ambrosia). Also, good tankiness, ulti regen, cold resist (ghosts in skyreach).. Now i can farm skyreach (CP) more effectively.
  • sionIV
    sionIV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrathstone has been out for a while now, as you all know. Initially, some of the racial changes seemed underpowered, even bizarre...

After re-rolling two of my characters as “off-meta” magicka characters, though, I can honestly say that I don’t think races have ever been more balanced — especially in no CP PVP. In fact, I would venture to say that there is no clear BIS race for any role in no-CP PVP anymore. Some races may have a slight edge, build depending, but since racial bonuses have been re-designed to function like gear set bonuses, you don’t absolutely HAVE to run stereotypical “magicka” races (and vice versa) to be effective; rather, you can use racial bonuses to fill in any gaps in your build.

Case in point: my mDK is now a Nord. Why? She’s in melee range most of the time, and needs to be a little tanker than ranged magicka classes (hence nord resistances, max health). Since she’s in melee range, she also needs to break free and dodge roll quite often (max stamina). She lacks a class execute as well and relies on Leap to serve that function, so the Nord’s ultimate regen also plays an important part in the build. This character hits almost as hard as my stereotypical magicka characters, and can survive well without having to invest in defensive gear.

In short, this thread is a belated thanks to the devs for achieving what I thought was impossible: racial choices that finally feel optional and allow you to round out a build, rather than define it. I’ve since rerolled my Templar as a melee Khajiit magickat in anticipation of Elsweyr (focused on sustain and crit jabs/crit heals), and am having a blast with it as well. If you’re on the fence about straying from meta racial choices, I’d encourage you to give it a go — you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Some sets just have more bonuses than others. Orc & Dunmer.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had a problem with the "power" of racial changes. IMO ESO shouldn't have significant racial bonuses so some of these changes, like from + % max resource to a flat bonus, are good.

But:

a) They were fundamentally dishonest.

The devs claimed that these changes were intended to make more races viable and on some levels they did this. But on some levels, eg. stealth bonuses, they transparently did the opposite.

b) Some races, like altmer and bosmer which unfortunately I have a lot of, ended up with very different styles of racial bonuses.

Some totally random effect from dodging is literally one of my most hated effects in any game. And one of the main appeals of ESO is it not having cooldowns. I dislike them even in passives, and altmer are stuck with them now.

I would need a lot more than 3 race change tokens to escape those and even if I had them, I shouldn't have to change my character's races to avoid things like this.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this is now a buff argonian thread
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe