The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Elsweyr Jode's Embrace home preview

• Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which class ofhome is this?
  • Currygaminginc
    Currygaminginc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say large either 600-700 slot. not purchaseable yet so don't know for sure.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This place is freaking beautiful, I had a chance to see the portal leading to the other realm before I was booted out. Just gorgeous.
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it'll be a buy for me, but Holy hell is it beautifully designed!

Loved the variety of wall textures, the floor designs, the arches & support beams! Also HUGE fan of houses with lots of hallways & sectioned off rooms, and this house seems to excel at that (As has alot of ESO's recent homes, good stuff ZoS!).

The 2 bedrooms each with their own hallway off the foyer and that grand room at the end laid out really well. Solid outdoor space as well!

At first looking at the outside it looked way too big for my personal taste but the interior looks very manageable! Very cool stuff!
  • mnemoniclights
    mnemoniclights
    ✭✭✭
    I am definitely getting this, this house is amazing in every way.
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...stunning! New furniture, pillows, tapestries, carpets...I'm feeling broke already..lol!
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the interior of the home, and REALLY love the gimmick of this place involving another plane. But, and I may sound a bit nitpicky, but I'm slightly disappointed with the design of the interior not matching the exterior.

When I look at the exterior, it's absolutely gorgeous, there's waterfalls, it has two or three stories, I can see a balcony overlooking the courtyard...aaand you have no way accessing that balcony normally. Even though it looks like there are at least two more rooms on the second floor from the exterior (like on the left and right of that big second floor room), there are no such rooms once you go inside.

I hope I'm not alone in this, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with homes having stunning exteriors with interiors that are smaller than what's presented t us from the outside. Linchal Grand Manor is another example of a home that does this. And, for me, I just wish that the people designing these homes would pay more attention to how the interior matches the exterior.

I still like the way the home looks. I just wish the interior had just two more rooms and a doorway to that balcony.
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on April 16, 2019 9:45AM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What portal? To where? Nothing shown in video 😕

Edit: just seen another video that shows it. So that’s where my cash is going this summer!!
    Edited by Hallothiel on April 16, 2019 4:30PM
  • mnemoniclights
    mnemoniclights
    ✭✭✭
    I love the interior of the home, and REALLY love the gimmick of this place involving another plane. But, and I may sound a bit nitpicky, but I'm slightly disappointed with the design of the interior not matching the exterior.

When I look at the exterior, it's absolutely gorgeous, there's waterfalls, it has two or three stories, I can see a balcony overlooking the courtyard...aaand you have no way accessing that balcony normally. Even though it looks like there are at least two more rooms on the second floor from the exterior (like on the left and right of that big second floor room), there are no such rooms once you go inside.

I hope I'm not alone in this, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with homes having stunning exteriors with interiors that are smaller than what's presented t us from the outside. Linchal Grand Manor is another example of a home that does this. And, for me, I just wish that the people designing these homes would pay more attention to how the interior matches the exterior.

I still like the way the home looks. I just wish the interior had just two more rooms and a doorway to that balcony.

This is a problem with a lot of the houses, the worst of it imo is Psijic Manor where you have towers and such but can't actually go into them. Alinor townhouse also has a tower, with windows, that can't be entered which annoyed me a lot.

Like for the vanilla and Vvaredenfell houses? Yea they're all fine, but a lot of DLC houses have this problem, most notably townhouse and psijic manor.
  • shaielzafine
    shaielzafine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a problem with a lot of the houses, the worst of it imo is Psijic Manor where you have towers and such but can't actually go into them. Alinor townhouse also has a tower, with windows, that can't be entered which annoyed me a lot.

Like for the vanilla and Vvaredenfell houses? Yea they're all fine, but a lot of DLC houses have this problem, most notably townhouse and psijic manor.

The vanilla and vvardenfell houses aren't all fine. For example, Daggerfall Overlook has a balcony on the front and extra rooms (well it looks like it anyway) that you can't access and aren't anywhere in the actual house. There's even a backyard in there, that you can't access. I think the boundaries are just weird with some houses and it's odd that it looks bigger from the outside and then there's less rooms indoors.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a beautiful house, but like other people I was put off by the mismatch between the inside and the outside, and the relative lack of interior space compared to what it appears to have. It's a cool idea, especially for mage characters (not necessarily sorcerers), but I think that would bother me too much.

The vanilla and vvardenfell houses aren't all fine. For example, Daggerfall Overlook has a balcony on the front and extra rooms (well it looks like it anyway) that you can't access and aren't anywhere in the actual house. There's even a backyard in there, that you can't access. I think the boundaries are just weird with some houses and it's odd that it looks bigger from the outside and then there's less rooms indoors.

Then there's Amaya Lake Lodge, where most of the ground floor is missing, and Domus Phrasticus where the inside bears no resemblance to the outside except for being Imperial styled.

I've yet to find a home which doesn't have at least minor differences between the interior and exterior layout, although I haven't checked them all. Some are harder to spot than others - Mournoth Keep for example took me a while even though it's probably the house I've looked at most. It's become one of the deciding factors in which houses I get - how long does it take me to notice how the layout doesn't match and how comfortable am I ignoring it after I've noticed?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not alone. I hate the utter disregard ZOS has for interiors matching outer shapes. The place is gorgeous from the outside, really amping the south-east Asian aesthetics they've gone with for the Khajit. But as soon a you step inside, you are utterly let down. The shapes do not match. There is no way to reach that balcony overlooking the front yard. None of the upper floor structures exist. The building has a large square foot print, yet the interior is t-shaped.

The interior is just a variant of the palace in Rimmen, and is utterly impractical as far as a living space goes. I suppose it works as a palace, you got the throne room, a grand staircase, and couple of large antechambers. But for living? Where's the kitchen supposed to be? What about bathrooms? Your master bedroom is on the ground floor? Really? Where am I gonna place the guest bedrooms? What about my study?

Two large rooms, an entrance chamber, and a way too large grand hall do not a house make. I wonder when is ZOS gonna understand, that we want actual houses for our homes, not cavernous halls unsuited for actual living.

Furthermore, with the ridiculous amount of space and volume in the interior, the large outdoor area, and an even bigger extra space in the "other world" (As gorgeous as it is...) means there is no way you can furnish it with 700 items.

It isn't worth the effort or the headaches.

The interior exterior thing is not limited to this house by the way... Just go look at the interior and exterior of the buildings in Rimmen. The bank is a particularly egregious example. And the inn does not fit the exterior either.

This has been a big issue in the game since launch, with the larger the exterior being, the less likely the interior matches it. But now even with small structures, like the bank building I mentioned, do not have matching interiors and exteriors either.

Extremely disappointing.

If the interior and exterior had matched, if the space was used for 8 or so sensibly sized rooms with maybe one larger hall, and the upper floors suggested by the actual structure existed, and you could access that balcony... Well then this would've been a must buy simply due to the fact of how damn cool it looks. Especially is the other world, that requires it's own load screen came with it's own item cap.

I am already struggling with and finding myself having to force myself to work on my Dawnlight Palace, since the exterior and interior match so poorly with one another in that place, I really do not need yet another source of ulcers in my life by trying to work around the utter idiocy that is this places interior design.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »

You're not alone. I hate the utter disregard ZOS has for interiors matching outer shapes. The place is gorgeous from the outside, really amping the south-east Asian aesthetics they've gone with for the Khajit. But as soon a you step inside, you are utterly let down. The shapes do not match. There is no way to reach that balcony overlooking the front yard. None of the upper floor structures exist. The building has a large square foot print, yet the interior is t-shaped.

The interior is just a variant of the palace in Rimmen, and is utterly impractical as far as a living space goes. I suppose it works as a palace, you got the throne room, a grand staircase, and couple of large antechambers. But for living? Where's the kitchen supposed to be? What about bathrooms? Your master bedroom is on the ground floor? Really? Where am I gonna place the guest bedrooms? What about my study?

Two large rooms, an entrance chamber, and a way too large grand hall do not a house make. I wonder when is ZOS gonna understand, that we want actual houses for our homes, not cavernous halls unsuited for actual living.

Furthermore, with the ridiculous amount of space and volume in the interior, the large outdoor area, and an even bigger extra space in the "other world" (As gorgeous as it is...) means there is no way you can furnish it with 700 items.

It isn't worth the effort or the headaches.

The interior exterior thing is not limited to this house by the way... Just go look at the interior and exterior of the buildings in Rimmen. The bank is a particularly egregious example. And the inn does not fit the exterior either.

This has been a big issue in the game since launch, with the larger the exterior being, the less likely the interior matches it. But now even with small structures, like the bank building I mentioned, do not have matching interiors and exteriors either.

Extremely disappointing.

If the interior and exterior had matched, if the space was used for 8 or so sensibly sized rooms with maybe one larger hall, and the upper floors suggested by the actual structure existed, and you could access that balcony... Well then this would've been a must buy simply due to the fact of how damn cool it looks. Especially is the other world, that requires it's own load screen came with it's own item cap.

I am already struggling with and finding myself having to force myself to work on my Dawnlight Palace, since the exterior and interior match so poorly with one another in that place, I really do not need yet another source of ulcers in my life by trying to work around the utter idiocy that is this places interior design.

Couldn't agree more. I care about the way my home is designed. People can say what they will about a home like Tel Galen. The fungus may look a tiny bit fleshy, but it's got a very well-designed interior. A main hall with three offshoot rooms, and then an upper tower room. Plus the rooms have doors. And there's just enough space where it feels like you have enough without having too much.

I'm also fairly certain that Jode's Embrace doesn't have as much interior living space as another well-designed home (and arguably the BEST-designed home) that's not even a manor; the Alinor Crest Townhouse. With that, you can have a small foyer, an office, a living/dining space, a kitchen, a library, a bedroom loft, etc. Whatever your heart desires, the townhouse has you covered!

With Jode's Embrace, like you said. You have an entrance hall, two antechambers, and a grand hall isn't living space. It's suitable as a temple at best, not a true home. Which is what I WANT from my homes! There should have been a wraparound wallkway in the entrance hall to the balcony, and two rooms accessible via doorways from the second floor. One above each antechamber. Heck, even putting doors to the balcony from those two rooms after adding them would've worked. Come on, ZOS! It's not rocket science to add doors to other rooms! Just look at Tel Galen and the Grand Psijic Villa.

And also like you said; while the other realm (likely connected to Jode), that adds sooo much more space when sooo many people already complain about the item limit. It would have been better (and easier, in my opinion) to add two more rooms on the second floor AND a way to access that balcony than to add a portal to another realm.

It's starting to seem like they don't care enough about housing, and like they aren't willing to make significant changes to homes before releasing them. This home hasn't been released yet. They could take it down, make the changes that would make it legitimately better, and THEN release it. But if Hakkvild's High Hall is any indication, ZOS probably isn't going to do that.
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on April 24, 2019 3:48AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree regarding Tel Galen. I disagree regarding the Townhouse. I've had much difficulty trying to fit in a guest bedroom. There just isn't one. You could make it the loft, but then guests would have to walk through the main bedroom. Or, you could make the main bedroom the other large room upstairs, but then everyone has to walk through it to get to the outside area. There aren't enough smaller rooms and some of them are overlarge, in my opinion. Amaya also suffers from this somewhat, but it had another floor with additional spaces to make bedrooms.

But, back on topic. I'm not interested in this home if it's CS-only, which if it's 700 slots, then it'll be CS-only. However, if it had rooms on the second floor, then I might give it a more serious look. As for the portal to Jode? Meh...

Many of us want actual homes, not palaces/temples/etc. that we have to force into a proper home by using up our item slots with walls/dividers to create the rooms we want.

I'll just have the Sugar Bowl Suite here and be done with it. Sure, I'll also get the Lunar Champion home, but I certainly won't bother to try and decorate it, or to do either of the Q3 dungeons to unlock one of the wings.
  • Jenzi
    Jenzi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are Jodes Embrace, Lunar Champion Home and the Sugar Bowl Suite confirmed as the only housing coming with a Elsweyr, or is there going to be a another limited time house like Tel Galen?
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I agree regarding Tel Galen. I disagree regarding the Townhouse. I've had much difficulty trying to fit in a guest bedroom. There just isn't one. You could make it the loft, but then guests would have to walk through the main bedroom. Or, you could make the main bedroom the other large room upstairs, but then everyone has to walk through it to get to the outside area. There aren't enough smaller rooms and some of them are overlarge, in my opinion. Amaya also suffers from this somewhat, but it had another floor with additional spaces to make bedrooms.

But, back on topic. I'm not interested in this home if it's CS-only, which if it's 700 slots, then it'll be CS-only. However, if it had rooms on the second floor, then I might give it a more serious look. As for the portal to Jode? Meh...

Many of us want actual homes, not palaces/temples/etc. that we have to force into a proper home by using up our item slots with walls/dividers to create the rooms we want.

I'll just have the Sugar Bowl Suite here and be done with it. Sure, I'll also get the Lunar Champion home, but I certainly won't bother to try and decorate it, or to do either of the Q3 dungeons to unlock one of the wings.

You put the guest bedroom where the office is on the first floor, and then move the office upstairs. That's what I would do, at least.

But yeah. Only one room on the second floor isn't enough. I love the idea of having that portal to the realm of Jode. But t doesn't constitute not having more rooms on the second floor. I mean, it pretty much leaves you with windows on the second floor exterior that aren't used for any purpose. Because, right now, Jode's Embrace seems more like it should be used as a temple than a home. And the Hall of the Lunar Champion already suits that roll better. So Jode's Embrace should feel more like a beautiful, opulent manor...yet it's lacking in the interior space that you'd expect from one.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is it's going to cost quite a hefty amount of crowns, so sadly - as a person without much expendable income - I won't be getting it. I do hope Elsewyr is going to offer some mid-sized or smaller housing options. I'll cross my fingers, but won't hold my breath.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly it suffers from the same 'building but not a house' syndrome as many others, in that it has barely any rooms, but instead just a bunch of large open areas. Who would sleep in a giant hallway with several stories worth of rafters above them? Hardly cozy. And there's no chance of a bathroom that doesn't echo all your spicy Elsweyr farts up to the highest lofts... :lol:

Secondly, I tried this on the PTS and the huge ceiling makes this house practically un-light-able (is that a word?) :neutral: The 'rooms' are so large, and have so many open spaces so far removed from any wall or celing that it's nearly impossible to get decent lighting in it. And yes, I did try the most obnoxious brightest clashing styled lamps available (daedric, clockwork, brotherhood, etc,) still nothing.
    I've had much difficulty trying to fit in a guest bedroom.
    Offtopic, so just some tips: the Townhouse is quite modifiable with Alinor walls. The large right side room downstairs with the two entrances makes for a great division, a smaller room and a medium room (just like it is on the left side downstairs), all it needs is one or two Alinor fences to create an internal wall. That way you have 4 separate rooms on the ground floor already.

The wood paneled stairway landing area on the top floor can also be cordoned off with an Alinor fence and an Alinor curtain (I put my bathroom there) and it doesn't interfere with the corridor between the two doorways on the left and right at all, and looks rather natural.

As for the large upstairs room with the terrace exit, I put my dining room there (kitchen area in the top quarter of the room, sectioned off by dividers) seeing as many houses place the access to the gardens in the living room or the dining room rather than a secluded private room. Getting 'rid' of the high sloped roof could also help with privacy if you're looking for more bedrooms, I created an artificial flat ceiling from Alinor ballroom floors because I didn't think that the high 'everybody sees everything from up here' design of the top floor was particularly cozy.

Anyway, I'd say the Townhouse is a great example of good interior design, and I hope maybe some of these ideas will make you give it another chance :wink:
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has to be the most underwhelming house ZO$ have come up with to date, for all the reasons previous posts have given.

Very disappointing.

I'll be saving my crowns for once.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is actually a really nice home and it doesn't take a whole lot of item slots to properly furnish it. I'm only at around 500 items slots and I really can't fine more areas to put things without making it look gaudy. But I haven't furnished Jode's Dimension yet, and don't plan on it.

The only thing I have issues with is the outside of the house does not properly reflect the inside.

There are windows that are off centre from the inside. Extra windows on the outside that are not on the inside, or a complete different outside texture that doesn't match at all.

This is basically a smaller shorter version of the Rimmen Palace. The entrance is identical and the hallway to the two rooms, though it is shorter in Jode's Embrace. The difference though is that, in the Palace, there are currently locked doors that go to a back courtyard which I really wish they could have integrated into this home. It would have given players a bit more of an outside to play with.

When you get to play Elsweyr you will see what I mean.

As Bluebird noted, this house falls into the trap as most of the others, in that they have only a couple very large rooms that you need to try to furnish and we don't have access to any of the matching walls or doorways that would allow us to section things off to create more rooms without using up a crap tonne of our already to small item limit.

If it wasn't for the Jode's Dimension part, this house shouldn't be selling for more than 10k, but because of that part, we'll likely see notable housing prices unfortunately.

Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not here to defend this house just noting what I have played with on PTR with it.

1. The interior rooms can all be built up to ceiling height. Thanks to the new Elsewyr construction furnishings you can make some pretty beautiful upper room floors to act as private bedrooms via staircases. Notably the backroom is especially good for this as their is already a ledge built in at the mid-point between ceiling and floor where you can attach more flooring without it looking too silly.
    2. The exterior area doesn't need too much with the addition of the sandpits. This makes it a lot more manageable than most of the exteriors on the estate homes where they require some flora to at least look like it's not a death pit of a yard. A few large statues and trees with some bushes are plenty to make the yard feel lush and full.
    3. For those curious on the exterior height limit the invisible wall begins at the mid section of the lowest roofs. In the Jode's Plane the height limit is the roofs of the towers you can climb up in. The farthest you can build out is about 1/4th the way over the "moon" in the crater.

As far as the other plane, I think this falls into the category of most estates: you'll probably have to cut somewhere. This sucks indeed but it's become part of the game and at least makes everyones houses a little more unique. Maybe you cut the siderooms or maybe you fence the yard in completely and they go straight to the house. I think that's all up to personal preference but at this point with the exception of Tel Galen most estates fall into this loophole of "Not enough furnishing slots."

But I'm satisfied with the house design and the freedom I have with it. There are significantly less invisible walls to tick me off inside the home (the ceiling is my world to do what I want with it) and I'm glad that they have at least learned from previous houses to stop adding invisible walls where none are necessary.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Firstly it suffers from the same 'building but not a house' syndrome as many others, in that it has barely any rooms, but instead just a bunch of large open areas. Who would sleep in a giant hallway with several stories worth of rafters above them? Hardly cozy. And there's no chance of a bathroom that doesn't echo all your spicy Elsweyr farts up to the highest lofts... :lol:

Secondly, I tried this on the PTS and the huge ceiling makes this house practically un-light-able (is that a word?) :neutral: The 'rooms' are so large, and have so many open spaces so far removed from any wall or celing that it's nearly impossible to get decent lighting in it. And yes, I did try the most obnoxious brightest clashing styled lamps available (daedric, clockwork, brotherhood, etc,) still nothing.
    Offtopic, so just some tips: the Townhouse is quite modifiable with Alinor walls. The large right side room downstairs with the two entrances makes for a great division, a smaller room and a medium room (just like it is on the left side downstairs), all it needs is one or two Alinor fences to create an internal wall. That way you have 4 separate rooms on the ground floor already.

The wood paneled stairway landing area on the top floor can also be cordoned off with an Alinor fence and an Alinor curtain (I put my bathroom there) and it doesn't interfere with the corridor between the two doorways on the left and right at all, and looks rather natural.

As for the large upstairs room with the terrace exit, I put my dining room there (kitchen area in the top quarter of the room, sectioned off by dividers) seeing as many houses place the access to the gardens in the living room or the dining room rather than a secluded private room. Getting 'rid' of the high sloped roof could also help with privacy if you're looking for more bedrooms, I created an artificial flat ceiling from Alinor ballroom floors because I didn't think that the high 'everybody sees everything from up here' design of the top floor was particularly cozy.

Anyway, I'd say the Townhouse is a great example of good interior design, and I hope maybe some of these ideas will make you give it another chance :wink:

Thanks for the tips, and I saw a build someone did on PTS that was very similar to what you describe (perhaps it was yours?). In any event, having to add walls, etc. to make a home work isn't, to my mind, good interior design. It's bad interior design. That said, I have considered adding to the loft by placing a floor over the large room below. I hadn't thought about dividing the large room downstairs into two, so I may think about that too. Despite my complaints, I still like the house, I just haven't done much to it as I'm trying to figure out where to put my guest bedroom.

On topic: Same goes for Jode's Embrace - it's not a good design if I have to build rooms and waste slots doing it.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

Thanks for the tips, and I saw a build someone did on PTS that was very similar to what you describe (perhaps it was yours?). In any event, having to add walls, etc. to make a home work isn't, to my mind, good interior design. It's bad interior design. That said, I have considered adding to the loft by placing a floor over the large room below. I hadn't thought about dividing the large room downstairs into two, so I may think about that too. Despite my complaints, I still like the house, I just haven't done much to it as I'm trying to figure out where to put my guest bedroom.

On topic: Same goes for Jode's Embrace - it's not a good design if I have to build rooms and waste slots doing it.
    I mean, I understand your frustration of not having the perfect layout that you would prefer for your guest bedroom, but I think that a house with 4 distinct rooms, 4 hallways and a separate private loft space is still some of the best interior design we ever had. It's only comparable to things like Strident Springs, Amaya, the Telvanni Tower, Velothi, Quondam, and Grand Psijic. All the rest are leagues behind (Khajjit houses are all one space, Nord homes have 1 room max, Orc homes have no internal walls or doorways, Altmer and Redguard have no concept or rooms, Argonian is also just one mudhall, Breton is also meh). So while you personally would have to rearrange the interior, the Villa does stand on its own as one of the best houses in terms of interior layout.