The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bug report. Mounting while sprinting prevents casting Rapid Maneuver unless you dismount again.

Jayman1000
Jayman1000
✭✭✭✭✭
I found a bug that prevents casting Rapid Maneuver while mounted. The cause is fairly straightforward: if I am sprinting and I mount up while still sprinting, then I wont be able to cast Rapid Maneuver while mounted, even if I stop sprinting. I have to dismount first.

Of course one can fairly easily avoid the issue by simply not sprinting when mounting but sometimes I do it by accident, so it's just somewhat annoying that I then have to dismount before I can be allowed to cast rapid maneuver. Im not sure if this bug is new or old, I don't recall it happen some months ago, but not sure exactly when I saw it the first time.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    I found a bug that prevents casting Rapid Maneuver while mounted. The cause is fairly straightforward: if I am sprinting and I mount up while still sprinting, then I wont be able to cast Rapid Maneuver while mounted, even if I stop sprinting. I have to dismount first.

Of course one can fairly easily avoid the issue by simply not sprinting when mounting but sometimes I do it by accident, so it's just somewhat annoying that I then have to dismount before I can be allowed to cast rapid maneuver. Im not sure if this bug is new or old, I don't recall it happen some months ago, but not sure exactly when I saw it the first time.
    Recall that a player character is not supposed to be able to use any "ability" while Sprinting. For example, a Sprinting sorcerer cannot summon a familiar. So, on the face of it, if a Sprinting character can successfully summon a Mount, then successfully doing that is probably a bug.

But you are right. A character can summon a mount while Sprinting. However, the character stops moving, summons the creature, and mounts before continuing to move, whether continuing to Sprint. Afterward, an attempt to cast Rapid Maneuver fails. (There is a slight motion of the character's arms outward and the RM buff is not applied.)

However, a character already buffed by Rapid Maneuver can summon a mount while Sprinting. Again, the character stops moving, summons the creature, and mounts before continuing to move. In my experience:
    • An attempt to cast Rapid Maneuver while a character is Sprinting is ignored. Also, if I cast Rapid Maneuver and press-and-hold the keybind to Sprint before the animation for Rapid Maneuver completes, then its cast is canceled.*
    • While a mount is Sprinting, attempting to cast Rapid Maneuver is ignored. If a mount begins Sprinting before the Rapid Maneuver cast animation is completed, then the cast is cancelled.*
    So, a character must cast Rapid Maneuver before Sprinting, whether on foot or on a mount. Sprinting continually requires a player to hold its keybind down, but whether the character Runs or Walks is selected by pressing the key bind to toggle Movement Speed from Run to Walk and vice-versa. (Yes, a character can Sprint while Walking, just think of it as "hurrying" instead. :wink: )

Note that toggling Automove "on" is the same as continually holding the Forward movement direction key down. While Automove is in effect, the player can press any other Movement key to change the direction that the character moves while that key is held down, but Forward movement resumes when the player releases the key.

However, if the player presses the Forward movement key, then Automove is toggled "off". The character stops moving, unless the player continues to hold the Forward movement key down. Of course, pressing the Automove key while it is "on" toggles it to "off" and also stops automatic movement of the character.

A character can summon a Mount while auto-moving, but the character stops briefly to summon and board the Mount, then resumes moving automatically. An auto-moving character can cast Rapid Maneuver or use any other ability, swap Ability Bars, make Light or Heavy attacks, Block or Interrupt, and Dodge-And-Roll, etc.** (Again, some animations cause the character to pause automatic movement until they complete.) While Automove is "on", a character can also use the Quickslot keypress to consume a Potion. But it might fail if the Quickslot key has something other than a Potion selected, such as a Food or Beverage.

Last, but not least, a character can Sprint while Movement Speed is toggled to either Run or to Walk (of course). But the restrictions with respect to what a character can do while Sprinting still apply. They apply regardless of whether a Running or Walking character is automatically moving, or moves only until and unless the player presses a Movement direction key.
    * A player can use Network Latency -- if it is high enough -- to anticipate completion of the Rapid Maneuver cast before it is shown on the HUD, thus press-and-hold the Sprint keybind before the animation ends. Which is to note that Network Latency can lead players to mistaken assumptions as to what their character can or cannot do while Sprinting.

** In my experience, an Interactive Prompt will not be displayed to enable looting a container while a character is moving. An Interactive Prompt can usually be obtained for any currently spawned crafting resource node while a character is moving -- whether afoot or mounted -- regardless of the movement speed. Of course, pressing the I.P. keybind causes the character to stop -- and to dismount, if mounted -- in order to loot the node. (That is, unless the player is using a "cheat engine".)

Edited by Shadowshire on April 3, 2019 9:25AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recall that a player character is not supposed to be able to use any "ability" while Sprinting. For example, a Sprinting sorcerer cannot summon a familiar. So, on the face of it, if a Sprinting character can successfully summon a Mount, then successfully doing that is probably a bug.

Yes agree that in any case it is a bug that results in not being able to cast rapid maneuver mounted. And it is correct that the character makes an upward motion of the arms for a split second, but no rapid maneuver is cast.

Well, now that we made our report hopefully ZOS will consider fixing at some point.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on April 3, 2019 1:39PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »

This is likely the bug, being able to summon while sprinting. At the very least preventing it is probably the likely fix.