Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can anyone help me with VMA last boss?

Aralon
Aralon
✭✭
Hey guys, I am doing my first run of VMA on the Xbox. I got up to the last boss, but I just can’t seem to beat it. My biggest problem, even up to the last boss, are the ceremonial guards.

With their fire breath, I am finding myself spamming my shield or heal just to stay alive not getting the chance to actually damage it or running out of Magicka.

The boss seems simple enough, but that guard is killing me in the first part, or after the platform when I need to drop down to clear my stacks.

Basically, any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated. I am a magplar, with 400 CP. I am running Skoria, 5 piece spell strat, 5 piece mother’s sorrow.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the guards, until you can burst them down fast enough walk around them once they start breathing fire. To not try to kite them as they move to fast, but you can walk a tight circle around them and they do not spin fast enough. If you can drop ground dots during this great, but your focus here is avoiding damage. Add what you can as you get used to waling around him.

Once they stop breathing fire you should be able to kill them without huge issue.

Edit: but you are not alone with finding him a challenge during your early clears. The entire fight becomes much easier with time and will eventually become routine. Just walk around him and you will be fine. He does make a noise when he starts breathing the fire, but until you get comfortable with the fight you will probably have to work off visual cues. I did .

Edit: your gear is fine. It is a matter of what works for you in there and if you are making it to the final boss and only the guards are a real issue then I would not change the gear. vMA is more about seeing and avoiding damage. As you get used to each of the rounds you will find you get used to when and where everything spawns and instead of reacting to what you see you will already be where you need to be when something is spawning. ofc, that takes time spent in there getting used to everything.
    Edited by idk on March 26, 2019 12:49PM
    Answer ✓
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aralon wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am doing my first run of VMA on the Xbox. I got up to the last boss, but I just can’t seem to beat it. My biggest problem, even up to the last boss, are the ceremonial guards.

With their fire breath, I am finding myself spamming my shield or heal just to stay alive not getting the chance to actually damage it or running out of Magicka.

The boss seems simple enough, but that guard is killing me in the first part, or after the platform when I need to drop down to clear my stacks.

Basically, any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated. I am a magplar, with 400 CP. I am running Skoria, 5 piece spell strat, 5 piece mother’s sorrow.

Thanks!

Ok... so lets go through the basics.
    1. So the first thing is vamp. make sure you are not vamp stage 3 or above.
    2. the crem guards are your absolutely priority.

so i suspect you know this, heres how i do it on my magplar.

Before the Fight starts - Make sure you have an Ulti ready. (destro ideally)
    Boss spawns in the centre, nuke him as much as you can. Either block or dodge roll out of the skulls.
    He teleports. you need to interrupt ASAP. use force pulse or just a bash. if you bash, get the hell out of that circle, it will kill you. at this poitn the boss should be about 80-85% if not lower.
    The boss will spawn the healer and the crem. i tend to ignore the healer, but watch where the crem and boss spawn. they will be close. if not, kite them. Drop your ulti now! - ideally on both the boss and the crem. The crem should melt in your destro ulti even with nothign else, but make sure you keep moving. if you stand still, youll die.
    the boss might require a dodge roll/interupt or 2, but by this time, and assuming your destro has hit, you should be at 70%.

the boss will go to the centre and the clanfeer will turn up, i use this time to heavy attack to get some resource back and switch my tri-pot to my potion of immovability. heavy attack the clanfeer (itill go down in about 3 heavy attacks) and go up into the portal.

pop the immovability pot. and go to the first crystal. the trick here is DOTS DOTS DOTS! - use shards, wall of elements, whatever youve got. its the dots that will do the trick. i also tend to heavy attack on my lightning staff like mad perminantly (ut theres is probably a better way)
    you need to keep moving. i got to the crystal on the right first, just make sure you dodge roll out of the aoe/move as needed . your immovabliity pot will prevent you from getting knocked down, but you wont be able to avoid the bashdown, so you need to be behind the wall which is circling,.. keep one eye on it, the first wall moves slowly clockwise (which is why i go to thr right first).

youll see him smash the wall, and then you can finish dpsing the crystal if its not done. rince and repeat with the second and third crystals (including the pots) - but bear in mind the wall gets faster and faster AND the soul churn damage will become unhealable if your up there too long. it is a dps race in that respect.

IF you get knocked down in between crystals. run straight to the centre of the map - drop a destro ulti in the centre of the map, and let the crem melt in it, you then get a bit of time to kill the clanfeeer before going up again. (thats why HA's are important upstairs to build that ulti up!)

note at this point , you still havent used any sigils! -

if you do get knocked down, the wall speed resets - so it becomes easier. But rememeber that trick with the destro / centre map!

anyway, once youve mastered that, boss will port downstairs.

first thing you do is grab the sheild sigil. that will reflect damage back at the boss.
    next you go and bash the boss to interrupt.
    you then stay near the boss. grabbing the gold ghosts as needed. they are your absolutely priority. drop dots, and everything you can on the boss. at this stage he doesnt do too much damage.
    youll see a guy come in and do a summoning. kill him!! otherwise youll be in a world of trouble in a minute.
    rememebr to keep one eye one boss, and ghost will keep coming.
    at that point you should have grabbed 3 ghosts and the crem should have spawned.
    do the soul exposion and freeze the crem/boss
    drop an ulti on the crem (and ideally the boss) - kill that crem, but melt the boss, use the other sigils.
    to be honest he should be down at this point.

hope this helps. it takes practice practice practice!!

Answer ✓
  • norrisnick
    norrisnick
    ✭✭✭
    Rune, ritual, circle-strafe with sweeps.
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Run around him quickly when he spews fire. As soon as I understood this, I passed the boss at the second attempt. Before that there were 30-40 wipes.
  • Aralon
    Aralon
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate it. I tried again last night, it did help but I just couldn’t pump out the numbers as well. I am really bad at weaving in LA.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not stress about weaving if that is fouling you up. Right now you are working on the mechanics. Weaving is not necessary for clearing that.

Keep up the effort and you will get it. All of us that have cleared vMA have been in your place when they started. Even those that top the leaderboards.
  • Aralon
    Aralon
    ✭✭
    Wow that’s a detailed response! I will try everything when I am next on.

I am having a very odd issue on the Xbox, when I am doing circles around those guards the game won’t use abilities such as my shield or sweeps. The button is being registered as being pressed (the border around the ability shows that it was pressed) but nothing happens. Killed me a few times now!!
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having enough damage to nuke them down before they do significant damage to you is one way of dealing with anything in vMA. With your build and 400 CP, you should have that.

That said, I am a PvPer and I tend to go a little tankier, because magplar is in a pretty good spot and still does enough damage when you do. I wear Pirate Skeleton instead of Skoria and I transmuted my rings to Protective. Not specifically for vMA - it's my PvP setup - but it works in vMA.

I use Spell Strategist too, but Amber Plasm instead of Mother's Sorrow. The latter should be fine - more damage than Amber - but Amber sustains better and allows for more dodge rolls.

If you get backed into blocking and spamming Honor the Dead, you're pretty much screwed on magplar in general. It's the same in PvP. Because you're not damaging the guard, you'll just run out of magicka and die. The short answer is, don't do that. Face tank him with Sweeps.

I presume you're running a typical magplar setup with destro (lightning) front bar and 1-hand + shield back bar? I dislike that setup. Instead I run a resto back bar, no Extended Ritual, and I make sure to get as much healing over time as possible:

Front bar, Spell Strategist lightning staff: Sweeps, Inner Light, Elemental Drain, Radiant Glory, Elemental Blockade, Crescent Sweep or Dawnbreaker of Smiting or destro ult

Back bar, vMA resto (or any resto): Blazing Spear, Honor the Dead, Mutagen, Channelled Focus, Race Against Time, Light's Champion

You can get Major Sorcery from a potion or just stick with tri-pots in this setup. The guards get trickier when there are more adds around or there are knockbacks from the boss. One approach is to withhold your ulti for the guards and either pop the resto ult while you kill them or the destro ult to help do so. Furthermore the arena is designed so that, if you pick up all the golden ghosts, you tend to have a Spectral Explosion ready when the guards spawn. That also works.

Finally, SPEED HELPS. Speed makes vMA significantly easier and this round is no exception. It allows you to dash around, picking up the golden ghosts while juggling the boss and adds and you may even temporarily outrange the guards, if you stack enough speed or if you have some dodge rolls in you (Amber Plasm). You don't really want to run from the guards, but sometimes you want to reposition for a ghost or to kill a Necromancer at the same time. On my magplar I use the Steed mundus and Race Against Time with Protective jewelry. On some other characters I use Swift jewelry (at least purple).

The Steed mundus along with Citrus Fillet also gives me about 1.1K health regen. I don't really get backed into spamming Honor the Dead with my build, especially not in PvE where the Sweeps heal is substantial and supplemented by health regen, Mutagen and a restore health enchant on the front bar. When I do cast Honor, I typically block cast it, which adds the Psijic bubble into the mix.

P.S.: I do think weaving light attacks is important for your damage and to proc enchants.

P.P.S.: Ranged builds tend to be easier in vMA and Crushing Shock is great to interrupt Taking Aim enemies and the healers. Also the boss when he goes into his fast mode ranged attack spam. Furthermore, having a hard CC (Flame / Shock Reach?) interrupts the necromancers from rezzing the Bone Colossus, as will Dawnbreaker of Smiting, which can be a good ulti, even on magplar, for that reason. I tend to use Sweeps instead of Crushing Shock, though, for the obvious heal / AOE benefits.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • rov33rek
    rov33rek
    Soul Shriven
    @Aaralon when they start breathing fire run around them. You can dodge 90% of the damage this way. The only thing you have to watch out for when doing it are clanfears with their AOE. They tend to stack with dreadnoughts and when you run around dreadnoughts to avoid fire you may get killed by clanfear's tailsweep. When you see this AOE (big red circle around clanfear) just get out of it while still circling dreadnought and you will be fine :)