The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

the most practical mount from the rp point ofview

Vyvrhel
Vyvrhel
✭✭✭
What mount, based on the lore, is the "most practical" choice? Guar, horse, anything else?
  • MotokoHutt
    MotokoHutt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vyvrhel wrote: »
    What mount, based on the lore, is the "most practical" choice? Guar, horse, anything else?

It depends on what you call practical. If you look at the real world for comparison then the number 1 spot has to go to the horse, despite it not being the best at any 1 biome type it is infact capable of easily surviving in and transporting people and or goods threw a slew of diferent types of terrain. Horses also have a pretty good temperment to work with and can be feircly loyal if treat right, it is for this and many other reassons like widespreadness, cost etc that horses where the number 1 used animal for transport, war and labour the world over.

HOWEVER if for instance you are restricted to 1 type of biome or you are looking to transport say much more good's or have an animal that can both work for argecultural work aswell as transport THEN you might want to look into other types of animals. Also for instance if you are talking about transversing extreme levels of cold's you may wan tto look into something a lot more suited for the climate as even though you can get cold weather horses they are not in abundance and there for would be much harder to aquire. If I was to make a lore comparison for instance skyrim has many horse breeds but if one was to trave lto Atmora I doubt they would be as widely spread.
    PC EU
  • mazeikeen
    mazeikeen
    ✭✭✭
    I would say, lore-wise, that it depends on what region you're in. Most places probably use horses. Camels are likely used frequently in the deserts of Hammerfell. Guar could be more popular in Morrowind. Senche are commonly used as mounts in Elsweyr. It all depends on the terrain, environment and climate.

From an RP standpoint, the simple answer would be whatever your character knows how to ride. I imagine riding a guar is very different from riding a horse, and both are vastly different from riding a senche.
    Edited by mazeikeen on March 12, 2019 4:40PM
    XBOX-NA / PC-NA
    Covenant at heart.
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to choose my mount based on the lore behind my particular character's origins or race. For example, my Dunmer main rides a Guar whilst my Altmer rides an Elk (and soon, an Indrik), etc.
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • GChaseXmas
    GChaseXmas
    ✭✭✭
    I would say horse is like the jack-of-all trades mount. Furthermore, it’s anatomical body makes it probably the easiest for riding (along with the camel). However, the best part about ESO now is that there are so many mounts. They have horses that are “built” for the Nordic winters and horses that are breed for carrrying heavy carriages. You also have Magical and Ethereal/Ghost mounts if ya want to make a more magical lore to your character and the mount it uses. I usually try to come up with a story for my character and pick the mount that best fits its story.
  • GChaseXmas
    GChaseXmas
    ✭✭✭
    But I will say one of my guild mates has based his took off of the Starks in GoT and has all the white wolf stuff sort of a Jon Snow theme. He uses wolf themed weapons and armor and decorated his home with wolf banners. The wolf mount didn’t come out at launch but once it did he pounced on it! So have fun with it and be creative.