The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"BUG" Broken City Guards

Stellarvorous
Stellarvorous
✭✭✭
Incurred a instant kill on sight bounty from a guard for healing a player who had a bounty note I used no attacks on the guard used healing spores on the fellow player once after said player died the guard turned its attention to me and did the usual 15-25k melee attack no surprise in the melee damage aspect

But why did I incur a bounty for healing the player when it didn't count as an attack...

And here is my 2nd issue when I went to ….mess with the guard again just to see if I could recreate something I saw a few weeks ago and I did the guard hit me for a 149k ranged projectile this was while I had shield wall up now keep in mind here I wasn't naked I have 100 into ironclad and hardy champ points even when I go to blackrose prison as a t4 vamp in divines the hardest the imperial mage will hit me for with lava whip is 37k-48k Even when I go into PvP in 6 piece divines the highest damage I might get hit for is a 15k ferocious leap nothing to the extent of which is presented in that screen shot

Now there is a point to this rant … Zos has said there will be a new justice system for necromancers come elsweyr where a necro uses a single skill of theirs in town they will incur a bounty if its in plain sight of "citizen npcs" …. noting the ironic fact the guards cant die they spam CC and ranged projectiles that have been noted to occasionally go thru walls...

Now iv played with the guards a bit in the past its true the 15-25k is understandable and reasonable close to vet content style 2 hander mobs I can seriously understand but I don't understand the concept of healing fellow players incurs bounties or why a guard has the ability to do 149k from range I don't think iv ever been hit over 50k from any vet content even when I soloed selenes web in divines at most 20k is what I saw less I stood in the batswarm..

I said all of this to simply say if Zos is going to go thru with the new justice system for necromancers and possibly werewolves/vampires as its rumored imo if they still remain unkillable spam CC from range and melee gap closers with extremely fast reaction times can we atleast remove the ability for them to do 149k from range or allow players to heal fellow players who have bounties without incurring kill on sight bounties?

I would have to run naked thru a grp of emperor DD gank specs to see anything over 60k why is a city guard who cant be killed capable of doing 149k in a single ranged attack?
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a 'bug'.......guards are working as intended. Healing someone who is being attacked by a guard is the same as attacking the guard yourself. You are interfering in guard business. It has been that way as long as I've been playing (5 years). If you are going to heal someone who is being attacked by a guard, heal and run like hell!

The longer it takes you to get away from a guard, the stronger the guard becomes. Hence, the 149k damage.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    The screen shot posted wasn't an attempt to get away from the guard it was merely to see what the guards are actually capable of doing as I kited him around in his patrol area for about 3 mins whether people agree or not 149k is a bit high considering the guard has the ability to do this damage from range and are able to CC you and pull you back into melee range
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The screen shot posted wasn't an attempt to get away from the guard it was merely to see what the guards are actually capable of doing as I kited him around in his patrol area for about 3 mins whether people agree or not 149k is a bit high considering the guard has the ability to do this damage from range and are able to CC you and pull you back into melee range

It doesn't matter if you were trying to get away or not. After a certain amount of time, the guard will one-shot you. That's why, if a guard IS after you, it is best to get away and quickly. And there are ways to keep from being pulled back into melee. I use vampire mist form to keep from being pulled back but there are other ways, too.
    Edited by Hippie4927 on March 21, 2019 11:21PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aiding and Abetting a criminal - you could get a group of healers to keep the person alive vs the guards without the extra damage scaling that makes it impossible to maintain.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Also taking the time to note in the future when elsweyr drops and necromancers using their skills in town visible to citizens will incur the same response from guards even if the necromancers arent using their skills on anyone just doing it in general to see the animations and test the skills out to see how they function.

While a guard can patrol over catch said lowbie necro using their skills and unleash the 15-25k melee attacks and if the necro attempts to run and he aint fast enough lol ...get a 149k bolt to the back of the head
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    A 15k-25k melee ranged hit is one thing and I don't mind it so much as you have to be in melee range for that to happen but 149k from range is a bit more of a issue considering the guards cannot be killed
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also taking the time to note in the future when elsweyr drops and necromancers using their skills in town visible to citizens will incur the same response from guards even if the necromancers arent using their skills on anyone just doing it in general to see the animations and test the skills out to see how they function.

While a guard can patrol over catch said lowbie necro using their skills and unleash the 15-25k melee attacks and if the necro attempts to run and he aint fast enough lol ...get a 149k bolt to the back of the head

That just means that necros need to test their skills somewhere besides in town! lol
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    My honest complaint is this for what the guard is capable of doing and from the range it is capable of doing it they should be killable or have their damage adjusted to be more inline with some bosses...

Take for instance even in Tribunes folly if you went to fight Limenauruus a "World Boss" stood in shadow pool that does like 20k? maybe slightly more? for a world boss hes got around 2 mil HP killable for sure maybe even soloable if you have a good rotation and can heal vs all the adds.

Black Rose Prison the Imperial battlemage on normal does like 37-40kish on her lava whip and that's vs a squishy T4 vamp like my self now on Vet iv no idea as iv never done it but I am going to bet she aint lava whipping peasant prisoners for 149k
    if she is someone please prove me wrong and post a screen of it lol otherwise im going to assume no.

Now if a world boss like Limenauruus who is very killable maybe even soloable with his adds doesn't put out 149k in a single hit let alone from range.

And unless someone posts a screen proving otherwise for Black Rose Prison On Vet or other Vet DLCs/Trial content proving infact that those bosses can do over 120k or even 149k in a single hit.

My question is this If World bosses cant do 149k in a single hit Nor can Vet DLC Content Bosses assuming no one proves otherwise Why should city guards when there is at least 6-9 of them in Anvil alone be unkillable and capable of doing that damage and from range at that in a single attack...

For those who have played since launch that might reply with they have been like that for years... Then why shouldn't it be changed with the new justice system to be more balanced atleast with world bosses that are killable?

• DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stellarvorous when the justice system was first introduced. the guards were not as overpowered as now. But what started to happen was, thieves would team up, steal without a care and then kill the guards in their way. This was before they had their 1 shot ability. So then ZoS gave the guards epic health-bars. but this was just seen as a challenge to the playing thieves. And they did in fact over time and with some very determined players, succeed in killing a guard. So then ZoS gave the guards their one shot ability. thus giving them the ability to kill any who tried this whole "kill the guard" again.
    The result though not elegant does work to keep players from trying to kill the guards. But there is i believe still an extremely tiny chance to kill a guard. however it would require far more time and gold to do so that its no longer seen as interesting when other bosses actually drop loot after hard content.

So i'm sorry you encountered the guards 1 shot ability, but now you know why it exists.
    Edited by DBZVelena on March 22, 2019 12:18AM
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't so much the concept of a 1 shot I just got done watching a video from 2017 Trying to Kill a Guard in Eso they had what looked to be 11 people in grp trying to kill this guard and it aoe nuked them with riot control lol.

Guards being god mode unable to die is one thing … guards with 1 shot abilities is another ….but city guards with godmode and 1 shots especially in aoe form are not a recipe for balance..

So in the past guards were killable and didn't 1 shot ok and people managed to kill 1 ok noted I can understand they are supposed to serve some purpose but the concept they need to be unkillable now with the ability to 1 shot 11 people at once seems to be a 180 in terms of direction of how zos went about it.

If people don't mind guards that don't die with the ability to dish out 149k in single ranged attacks and how ever much damage riot control does for an 11 man aoe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjmDfyFozk&t=320s for those who want to see it and no one objects...

Imo zos should replace all of these unique supernatural monster end game content bosses with city guards and leave the guard mechanics the same as it is now or put a few to patrol inside of dungeons and trials to keep it interesting since guards are so balanced now no one should object >:)
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you missed the point.
    It wasn't that people were killing guards. it was that they were not following the design ZoS had for their Justice system at the time. Originally the system we currently have was only part of a wider plan that would include things like players putting a bounty on other players and that other players could then be bounty hunters.

But ZoS completely underestimated how immature we players can be. So to prevent whole towns being filled with the corpses of slain guards. they went the complete opposite way. And ultimately scrapped their bounty hunter plans. Many a long time outlaw is still salty they can't put a bounty of a rivals head unless they rp it.
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    @DBZVelena Im not overly worried about the concept of a bounty hunter system where players might beable to hunt down other players..

Im more concerned about the concept that there are city guards that do more damage in a single attack then the world bosses or end game vet dlc bosses and the concept those same city guards are unkillable theres atleast 6-9 per city and zos is going to introduce a new class that's going to get focused by them severally just for using their class skills in town lol...

The justice system could use a few tweaks imo and im not referring to the ones that expected to come unless there are more details about it then we know about currently but sure there should be some npc that runs around and upholds the law for the sake of standards and when people break it ok bounty noted

But in no size shape or form do I agree with the concept City guards should essentially be god mode unkillable but still capable of nuking 11 players at once or doing a single target ranged projectile for 149k especially when said standards bypass that of even their end game content dlc bosses..

That is my hang up bounties are one thing im not against them it keeps it interesting but when the NPCs collecting the bounties and enforcing the "Law" are literally unkillable and can nuke 11 players at once I question the nature of balance regarding them and frankly I question anyone who doesn't seen an issue with it tbh lol maybe the folks playing from launch are more used to what these guards represent...

While I am pretty sure zos will do absolutely nothing about these guards in terms of their damage output or the fact they are unkillable as they probably see it as fine which baffles me.

I know the reply ill get soon as I say this but ermm Elder scrolls Morrowind the guards were killable there were a lot more and they didn't outright put you in the dirt unless you were lv 1 and naked lol ….

Elder scrolls Oblivion ...Stop right there you criminal scum! .. those guards ..came in droves ...were still killable sure they had some good combat moves but they didn't 1 shot you unless once again you were naked and lv 1 lol.

And you already know skyrim the guards were once again killable provided a fair challenge upheld the law just like all of the guards from the other elder scrolls games they didn't 1 shot you..

Yet here Elder scrolls online … has guards that uphold the law too ….except they do more damage then end game content bosses maybe if I say that enough times itl sink in lol and ermm yeah their still unkillable the concept for why this is happening seems to be inconsistent but why is getting a bit old the question imo should be.

Should the guards remain the same as they are now unkillable and capable of 149k ranged projectiles and nuking 11 players at once for when Elsweyr drops the new justice system for necromancers
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "No lollygagging!"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all other elder scrolls games you mentioned are single person games. In those games there are no other players so there is no player-balance devs had to take in to account.

ESO however has to take in to account all players. A missing guard because some thief went on a murder-spree would affect another player doing a quest where they need to ask the guard for a sword for example* Or the quest that requires them to break in to a house becomes a lot more easy than intended.

And no i don't think guards will change for elsweyr. And i think that's a good thing, lore wise necromancers are not good people. once Elsweyr comes out, i'm sure some will try out their skills in town. but imo that kind of power use should be punished anyway. just like npc dont like it when you're running around town waving a sword about.
    perhaps if they also made dueling in town an justice infraction. players would stop doing that at the wayshrine and crafting stations.

* real quest in Auridon.
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    @DBZVelena So then if the guards should retain their god mode unkillable status are you opposed to them losing their ability to do 149k from range? >:) or nuke a grp of players 11 at a time? because those are my complaints not that they have 1 of these mechanics ...but that they have *ALL* of them

If they wanted to make guards do their usual 15k melee hits and be unkillable that's one thing and they could still retain their CC spam and gap closer but I don't really see the reason why guards need to have the range projectile for 149k ontop of riot control and considering riot control hasn't even been proced of recent that I know of I might have to gather a raid of fellow like minded players while we go pitchfork style >:) on a city guard to just see how they really handle it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No i'm not opposed to guards having all of those abilities. But then a guard wont randomly attack players. that the guard in that vid did was because they were all attacking him or healing group members. which is exactly the ONLY time the aoe gets used.

in normal play you'll never encounter it.
    and in normal necromancer play it wont either.

you're making an issue out of one thing that is specifically designed to combat players who are intentionally being ***.
    and for some reason refuse to understand that.

accept that its not a bug, and move on.
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Kulvar
    Kulvar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not an issue that guards cannot be killed.
    It's not an issue that guards damage increase until they can one-shot anyone.
    Otherwise they would be useless.

They're guards, not loot bag or boss.
    Unless you want all crimes to be impossible so guards stop killing player ?
    Is there people seriously upset that something in the game is designed to beat them ?
    Coward Argonian scholar of the Ebonheart Pact
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    @DBZVelena See when you brought up the lore and said necromancers are "Not good people"and they should be punished by that logic then.

Sorcs streaking thru town /using any of their skills or have a zoo of 2-3 daedric pets following them should also incur bounties because their summoning daedra in the public if anything the lore has told us daedra are not "good people".

Also half of them do it and stack their flappy wing summons on bankers guild stores anywhere other folks might need to access that same NPC the lack of consideration to others is appalling >:)

Don't worry though I got some for everyones class

Nightblades their entire class is based on murder they should undoubtedly incur bounties for using any of their skills in public. maybe even just be kill on sight for the concept their class is legit based on murder *Mostly law abiding npcs* SHAME! SHAME! I say that qualifies as "not good people"

DKs should also get bounties as half their skill passives talk about burning things down *ARSON!* causing ruin and destruction to everything around them sounds like a winner to me

Wardens? hrmm better put that winne the pooh away or face the wrath of the guards. stay out side and hug some trees

Templars … their repentance skill where they consume the dead sounds like Namira worship to me that is also frowned upon according to lore good stuff bounty!

And we already know vampires and werewolves any mutts running thru town should be killed on sight if packleaders they should get several guards chasing them because their summons are leaving mud tracks everywhere >:)

Doh and my fellow t4 vampires if were looking a bit too pale in the morning better slap on some sun screen and kick it at the beach for a few hours or get a bounty slapped on considering im a t4 vampire id go with it.

Oh and anyone saying none of these classes should get bounties them selves for using their own questionable abilities
    and while having questionable themes it will sound as if were just being discriminatory specifically against necromancers while using necromancers as a off topic reason of why guards need to remain broken because not everyone agrees with necromancy o:)

@Kulvar You obviously havnt read anything iv said and you just decided to join in without reading or understanding like most people do so ill bring you up to speed that way you can feel enlightened.

I never said I wanted guards to be useless I said guards shouldn't be unkillable and capable of 149k from range while having the ability to nuke 11 players at once ….If they were to retain unkillable nature and their modest 15-25k hits along with the justice system suggestions I made at least then the guards would be inline with some lowly world bosses.

Anything past that is obscene and unnecessary @Kulvar and your statement here "They're guards, not loot bag or boss."

Your right their guards they do more damage then end game bosses B) with 11 people aoe nukes and 149k ranged projectiles while the fact they are still unkillable but all of this notion aside I still have not heard 1 legit reason from anyone that's replied yet of why they should remain this way.

If your going to disagree with me in regards to a obviously broken NPC mechanic then you are actually gona have to provide some legit reasons and actual logical view points of why they should remain as thus. If you are unable to present such logical and good view points befitting your disagreement with me then I suggest get a bag of popcorn and become a bystander.

These replies of oh guards should stay this way because lore and necromancers and ….reasons! lol doesn't work because I am willing to bet if Zos ever did decide to expand the "justice system" to include other classes and then people had to actually wonder if their gona get a bounty when they go to use a banker or guild store with their flappy winged zerg following them blocking access to the npcs and guards just started wailing on them.

Then I expect people might change their minds some.

I await yals logical and perfectly sound view points aka because "reasons"