Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Because there is no reason to do so. They already said what they wanted to say about racials weeks ago, twice. Once in their big write up and several times with developer comments on the various changes they made. You don't have to like the changes or agree with them, but they already communicated their reasoning for ALL of the changes, multiple times. There's no need to do it again during ESO Live.

Except there is, because giving sneak detection as a solution to their statement: "since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game (many enemies in Tamriel can’t be bothered sneaking about!)" is a poor choice and a mistake on their part and it does not benefit players who enjoyed sneaking in PvE. We've already established the fact that Bosmers were never the top choice for min max players, so we can deduce from it that people who do choose to roll a Bosmer before the patch were for PvE reasons. Hence it is important that we get a passive which also benefits our PvE playstyle.

Having some clarity over the changes can help players understand why they did it. So yes, there is a good reason why a developer should address this change and/or others. I should let you know as well that you really have a bad habit of speaking for ZOS my friend, you're not doing them nor yourself any good at all and your remarks ends up coming across as arrogant.

Be honest: it doesn't matter what they say about the change, you all will not like their answer as long as it doesn't contain the words "we will give Bosmer back their Stealth bonus".

(in bold) Exactly.
    Well...just speaking for myself :open_mouth:
    Sejreia-Efeliel-Olympias-Emerald Ire-Asifi Kare-Skips~on~Starfire-Everbloom-Sugrahdun-Elsreia-Ceruval
    PC NA
    MMORPG:2004-2019
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty. - @Cundu_Ertur
    “Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I hope they address some of these weird lore-twisting racial changes tomorrow during ESO Live.

I'd bet my meager savings that they will not.

Because there is no reason to do so. They already said what they wanted to say about racials weeks ago, twice. Once in their big write up and several times with developer comments on the various changes they made. You don't have to like the changes or agree with them, but they already communicated their reasoning for ALL of the changes, multiple times. There's no need to do it again during ESO Live.

Oops, I'm back again.

Actually they didn't explain all of them, and some are actually lore breaking in ESO itself not just over the series. It also becomes a bigger issue when they make remarks about wanting to preserve established lore and totally do the opposite.

Again, it doesn't matter if you agree with their reasoning. They explained several things. What you might count as lore-breaking might not be the case for ZOS. To say they haven't communicated about the changes is not right. They have. You just don't like what they said.

No they communicate with represenatives not with avg players. Again no they didn't explain all the changes. If the game itself states you should have something in dialogue or lore books, you should have it. The devs shouldn't mess with in game lore. Also I thought you said you were done arguing about this?

Yeah I thought so too but you're all (like the ten guys that comment here mostly) just repeating the same arguments for over 30 pages now so I can do it too. Especially when some statements here are not true and full of exaggerations.

Most people don't even bother to join the forums. Just because it's the same people on here doesn't mean a lot of other people don't care as well.

How goes the saying? The dissatisfied people usually go to the forums to vent their anger, the satisfied don't. Based on that the amount of dissatisfied people (Bosmer in this case) seems to be tiny because, as I said, this thread is driven by just a handful of people (plus me now).

You do realize signing up on these forums isn't always a walk in the park right? A lot of people just won't bother specially if they never got a code after purchase like I did.

I know a few people who have this problem.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except there is, because giving sneak detection as a solution to their statement: "since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game (many enemies in Tamriel can’t be bothered sneaking about!)" is a poor choice and a mistake on their part and it does not benefit players who enjoyed sneaking in PvE. We've already established the fact that Bosmers were never the top choice for min max players, so we can deduce from it that people who do choose to roll a Bosmer before the patch were for PvE reasons. Hence it is important that we get a passive which also benefits our PvE playstyle.

Having some clarity over the changes can help players understand why they did it. So yes, there is a good reason why a developer should address this change and/or others. I should let you know as well that you really have a bad habit of speaking for ZOS my friend, you're not doing them nor yourself any good at all and your remarks ends up coming across as arrogant.

Be honest: it doesn't matter what they say about the change, you all will not like their answer as long as it doesn't contain the words "we will give Bosmer back their Stealth bonus".

(in bold) Exactly.

Yeah and this is exactly the problem of this thread.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I for one don't need any clarification. They trashed decades of Bosmer lore because they could. And it doesn't matter what they say, it's still wrong, and will be wrong until the day they return the stealth to it's rightful owners.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

Why do you feel compelled to "fix" this thread, though? lol
    Sejreia-Efeliel-Olympias-Emerald Ire-Asifi Kare-Skips~on~Starfire-Everbloom-Sugrahdun-Elsreia-Ceruval
    PC NA
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty. - @Cundu_Ertur
    “Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

Why are you even here? If you don't care, why are you here trying to change peoples minds when they clearly won't?
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

I'm not trying to fix this thread though. I am here to offer another opinion, one that might be disliked by the majority of posters here. As I said, I like to call out some statements that are just exaggerated or false.

Another question: if ZOS is going to say something about it, some very well-thought-out words, and they follow their reasoning of Bosmer losing stealth, will it satisfy you (all)? Or will this thread go on until the day Bosmer get their stealth bonus back?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, they talked about the changes. Several times. You chose to not like what they say and keep doing so until they say exactly what you want to hear. Don't act like it's just about a clarification on why they did this because it's not. You already have that.

That is exactly right, but at least if we got an answer that it won't change then we can choose to start a different character and stop waiting for an answer. Or stop playing ESO altogether for some who've always been a Sneak Thief Bosmer Archer in every single TES game. So yes, there really is a good reason.

Several times yeah, but can you point me to the one which explains why they contradicted themselves by give Bosmer stealth detection after making it clear that "since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game" or how they totally didn't achieve the fifth point of their "Goals and Process: Achieve the above goals while still obeying our rich and structured lore and storytelling."

Its pretty clear to us that they literally contradicted themselves and did not achieve their own goals and its pretty darn confusing what they are trying to do here and if they are planning on fixing these problems or not. I'm not acting like it's just about clarification, its actually about finding out if they are planning to do anything about their own mess and its the clarification that's needed from them whether they will or will not fix it that will help both players and themselves.
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭

Again, they talked about the changes. Several times. You chose to not like what they say and keep doing so until they say exactly what you want to hear. Don't act like it's just about a clarification on why they did this because it's not. You already have that.

That is exactly right, but at least if we got an answer that it won't change then we can choose to start a different character and stop waiting for an answer. Or stop playing ESO altogether for some who've always been a Sneak Thief Bosmer Archer in every single TES game. So yes, there really is a good reason.

Several times yeah, but can you point me to the one which explains why they contradicted themselves by give Bosmer stealth detection after making it clear that "since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game" or how they totally didn't achieve the fifth point of their "Goals and Process: Achieve the above goals while still obeying our rich and structured lore and storytelling."

Its pretty clear to us that they literally contradicted themselves and did not achieve their own goals and its pretty darn confusing what they are trying to do here and if they are planning on fixing these problems or not. I'm not acting like it's just about clarification, its actually about finding out if they are planning to do anything about their own mess and its the clarification that's needed from them whether they will or will not fix it that will help both players and themselves.

See, why would "the rest of us" have to put our two cents in when the regular posters in this thread posit valid points amazingly well and thoroughly themselves? I'd like an answer to this very thing @A_Silverius is bringing up, yes again. Thank you.
    PC NA
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you even here? If you don't care, why are you here trying to change peoples minds when they clearly won't?

Maybe he's here to bait people with arrogant statements like "but it's time to move on and get over it" "Get used to your new Bosmer" "problem of this thread" to get ZOS to lock the thread when people decide to take the bait. He thinks he's offering an opinion by invalidating ours and telling us to "move on and get over it" and expects us to agree with him while providing zero substance to the discussion.
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Wildbloom
    Wildbloom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's realistic to expect them to change it back.

Think about that from their point of view. If they patched the 3 yard for stealth back, people would demand more race change tokens so that they could go back to bosmer , then they'd be handing out more free stuff just because we all complained loud enough. And why would it stop there? Other races would ask for racial changes, they'd give out more tokens and now we'd all feel obligated to a race change every now and then, and it'd spiral into a disaster. Or they could not change other races racials and people would be angry that a few bosmer could argue for 34 pages to get a tweak but they can't.

I'm a bosmer. I always have been and I always will be. I've been stealthing around very, very well without the 3 yards post-Wrathstone, scoring the highest rank in my sacraments and heists just about every day since the event started (my fault for tripping on so many damn traps), as well as stealing more than my fair share of goods where the only bounty I get is from missing a pick-pocket.

But as I understand it, this thread is about one thing: change. People don't like change. I didn't like the change at all when it first hit. I didn't even want to log in, I was so bummed out, and I vented in this thread about it more than once. But when I started to play more, I realized that it wasn't as huge of a deal as people are making it out to be. You guys cry "breaking the lore" simply as a viable way to try to make an argument, when it's really about not being able to cope with a negative change to your play-style. It sucks, but I think it's unrealistic for them to give us the 3 yards back, and I think we should put that to rest.

What I do think, however, is that stealth will be expanded upon some more in the coming months, possibly with Elsweyr. They have strongly hinted at it recently (mid January, I think it was) and I know I personally can see a lot of ways they can make stealth more fun. How about a trait that procs the window of opportunity for pickpocketing more often? A trait that makes one pick take all 3 items from an npc? A vanish for every class? A passive that, well, reduces the radius you'll be detected in stealth by 3 yards?

Khajit have a big thing for thieving (hence, their awesome racials) and I don't think it's unrealistic to see some sort of khajit thieving guild in the expansion, or an expansion on legerdemain, or something along those lines now that they've tossed the idea out there. I'm upset about this change too, but this thread is getting a ton of negative attention over something that in no way broke the game. It hurt the lore, but is that really what everyone is upset about? 34 pages -just- because lore was twisted a little? Let's calm down, put on some Night Terror gear, and spend our time doing something more productive like asking ZOS to expand stealth in other, friendlier areas, other than going in circles arguing about the same thing every day for the past 2 months.
    "Hello, Skellington Pal! How are you today? Bone dry, you say? I’d offer you a glass of water, but it’d all fall through! I need more coffee."

ZOS_GinaBruno, patch 5.0.1 PTS patch notes, 4/22/2019
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to fix this thread though. I am here to offer another opinion, one that might be disliked by the majority of posters here. As I said, I like to call out some statements that are just exaggerated or false.

Another question: if ZOS is going to say something about it, some very well-thought-out words, and they follow their reasoning of Bosmer losing stealth, will it satisfy you (all)? Or will this thread go on until the day Bosmer get their stealth bonus back?

It would have to be some amazingly thought out words because a lot of people (especially the ones complaining in here) are here in no small part due to the lore. In lore, Bosmer are thieves and archers and right now we're neither.

People need to look past "Bomser players are just whining about something that won't be fixed" and see it more as "If they're willing to violate the lore that much for Bosmer, am I next?"

Future ZOS: "Sure Nords have had cold resistance for decades, but we feel that doesn't lead to any exciting choices. So now they can just 15% higher and dodge roll 15% farther to better represent the physical trials they grow up experiencing"

Future ZOS: "Redguard having a long history of being elite swordsman, but lots of races use swords. So instead getting a cost reduction on their weapon abilities they'll mount and dismount 50% faster to better reflect their renowned affinity with horses"

Future ZOS: "We feel that Orcs are too bland being a mixture of health and stamina. So we've given them a 258 magicka recovery buff to replace the health and replaced the weapon damage with spell damage to reflect the heritage of their most famous magic users like Gul'dan".

They had no reason (that we can see) to make the changes they made. Were there Bosmer/Khajiit players complaining that they felt too similar to Khajiits/Bosmer? Were there Argonians saying "man, I feel so OP having disease and poison resistance like Bosmer do, I sure wish we could lose the poison resistance that multiple quests say we have".

They made a change without soliciting feedback. Received overwhelmingly negative feedback and replied once with "We'll fix it later, but enjoy your nice combat buff until then" but left up use a garbage buff that is mathematically weaker than every other racial damage/healing/recovery buff in the game, but costs 3000 stamina to use.
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭
    Grats on your name change :)
    @Wildbloom
    Keep reading that thread from time to time wondering if I'll change mine some day. Identity is so very personal for human beings, I think. We only get one chance at it here hehe.
    Edited by Khipu on March 14, 2019 5:11PM
    PC NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he's here to bait people with arrogant statements like "but it's time to move on and get over it" "Get used to your new Bosmer" "problem of this thread" to get ZOS to lock the thread when people decide to take the bait. He thinks he's offering an opinion by invalidating ours and telling us to "move on and get over it" and expects us to agree with him while providing zero substance to the discussion.

I'm not baiting. If you feel offended by an opposing opinion that's your problem, not mine. I am as free as you to voice my opinion here, even if it's disliked by the majority of this thread.

My statements are not arrogant. They're reflecting reality. If you rate that as arrogant, okay. But I am stating facts.

Isn't it some sort of entitlement to expect ZOS to change the game in a way you would like to have it? Like honestly, you already said you're not satisfied with anything they give you except you get the stealth bonus back. That's first class entitlement and stating that is not arrogant. It's arrogant to expect ZOS to cater to your wishes.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

I weighed in pretty extensively about my objections to the stealth passive change. Near the end of the PTS it was clear that ZOS was not going to listen so I've stopped commenting, but I have followed this thread. There are a lot of good reasons to object to these changes lore, gameplay, general usability. These reasons have been explained at length.

It would be nice if ZOS would provide a clearer justification for the change. Their initial comment was logically inconsistent. They characterized stealth as a non-universal mechanic but gave Bosmer stealth detection, which, logically, is an even less universally applicable mechanic. They also stated that they split the stealth passive and gave parts of it to both Khajiit and Bosmer. This statement was false. Khajiit did get part of the old passive, but Bosmer gave none of it. This raises questions about ZOS's competence and attention to this issue.

In the class rep notes we received additional feedback that again did not address the core problem. They acknowledged some of the controversy but their solution was that there will be some changes in the future that make stealth accessible to everyone. So Bosmer players are left to wait for this change, likely through sub-par gear sets if ZOS actually remembers to make these changes. And when the changes do come, they will not be changes that give Bosmer a distinct feel separate from Nords and Altmers and everyone else.

So what could they say? I'm not sure. Maybe something like "We hear that Bosmer players are disappointed by the changes to their stealth passive. Our vision is for the races to be distinct and we want that passive to be exclusive to Khajiit. In return we have given Bosmer players a strong passive linked to dodgeroll. While this may seem like a narrow and limited passive, our internal analysis indicates that the full set of Bosmer passives are as strong or stronger than other comparable options like Orc and Khajiit." I wouldn't be happy with this, but I would be more accepting of it because the argument is based on data they have (and ideally would show us). I would rather have that than false or contradictory statements as well as half hearted pledges to make changes someday that don't address the core problem here.

My 2 cents. I've moved on. I'll either live with it or make my stamblade a Khajiit.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wildbloom wrote: »
    I'm upset about this change too, but this thread is getting a ton of negative attention over something that in no way broke the game. It hurt the lore, but is that really what everyone is upset about? 34 pages -just- because lore was twisted a little? Let's calm down, put on some Night Terror gear, and spend our time doing something more productive like asking ZOS to expand stealth in other, friendlier areas, other than going in circles arguing about the same thing every day for the past 2 months.

I think its easiest is to just change the stealth detection to reduced stealth detection as it benefits both PvE and PvP, I imagine PvP players would agree that reduced stealth detection would be more useful.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »

(in bold) Exactly.

I weighed in pretty extensively about my objections to the stealth passive change. Near the end of the PTS it was clear that ZOS was not going to listen so I've stopped commenting, but I have followed this thread. There are a lot of good reasons to object to these changes lore, gameplay, general usability. These reasons have been explained at length.

It would be nice if ZOS would provide a clearer justification for the change. Their initial comment was logically inconsistent. They characterized stealth as a non-universal mechanic but gave Bosmer stealth detection, which, logically, is an even less universally applicable mechanic. They also stated that they split the stealth passive and gave parts of it to both Khajiit and Bosmer. This statement was false. Khajiit did get part of the old passive, but Bosmer gave none of it. This raises questions about ZOS's competence and attention to this issue.

In the class rep notes we received additional feedback that again did not address the core problem. They acknowledged some of the controversy but their solution was that there will be some changes in the future that make stealth accessible to everyone. So Bosmer players are left to wait for this change, likely through sub-par gear sets if ZOS actually remembers to make these changes. And when the changes do come, they will not be changes that give Bosmer a distinct feel separate from Nords and Altmers and everyone else.

So what could they say? I'm not sure. Maybe something like "We hear that Bosmer players are disappointed by the changes to their stealth passive. Our vision is for the races to be distinct and we want that passive to be exclusive to Khajiit. In return we have given Bosmer players a strong passive linked to dodgeroll. While this may seem like a narrow and limited passive, our internal analysis indicates that the full set of Bosmer passives are as strong or stronger than other comparable options like Orc and Khajiit." I wouldn't be happy with this, but I would be more accepting of it because the argument is based on data they have (and ideally would show us). I would rather have that than false or contradictory statements as well as half hearted pledges to make changes someday that don't address the core problem here.

My 2 cents. I've moved on. I'll either live with it or make my stamblade a Khajiit.

Good post and something I can agree with. Especially the last paragraph.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wedgebert wrote: »

It would have to be some amazingly thought out words because a lot of people (especially the ones complaining in here) are here in no small part due to the lore. In lore, Bosmer are thieves and archers and right now we're neither.

People need to look past "Bomser players are just whining about something that won't be fixed" and see it more as "If they're willing to violate the lore that much for Bosmer, am I next?"

Future ZOS: "Sure Nords have had cold resistance for decades, but we feel that doesn't lead to any exciting choices. So now they can just 15% higher and dodge roll 15% farther to better represent the physical trials they grow up experiencing"

Future ZOS: "Redguard having a long history of being elite swordsman, but lots of races use swords. So instead getting a cost reduction on their weapon abilities they'll mount and dismount 50% faster to better reflect their renowned affinity with horses"

Future ZOS: "We feel that Orcs are too bland being a mixture of health and stamina. So we've given them a 258 magicka recovery buff to replace the health and replaced the weapon damage with spell damage to reflect the heritage of their most famous magic users like Gul'dan".

They had no reason (that we can see) to make the changes they made. Were there Bosmer/Khajiit players complaining that they felt too similar to Khajiits/Bosmer? Were there Argonians saying "man, I feel so OP having disease and poison resistance like Bosmer do, I sure wish we could lose the poison resistance that multiple quests say we have".

They made a change without soliciting feedback. Received overwhelmingly negative feedback and replied once with "We'll fix it later, but enjoy your nice combat buff until then" but left up use a garbage buff that is mathematically weaker than every other racial damage/healing/recovery buff in the game, but costs 3000 stamina to use.

That's what has bothered me, they claimed they reviewed the lore and wanted to preserve established lore. They didn't do that or didn't do it well at all.It's been a while since I did the AD quests so I don't know about Bosmer stealth, but Argonian disease immunity and poison resistance is in the damn games lore books and dialogue. The only feedback they seem to take are the top 1% of the players and screw the rest of the 99%. Those top players don't care about race or lore, all they care about is numbers and being the top. That's a bad way to do things if you ask me.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about that from their point of view. If they patched the 3 yard for stealth back, people would demand more race change tokens so that they could go back to bosmer , then they'd be handing out more free stuff just because we all complained loud enough. And why would it stop there? Other races would ask for racial changes, they'd give out more tokens and now we'd all feel obligated to a race change every now and then, and it'd spiral into a disaster. Or they could not change other races racials and people would be angry that a few bosmer could argue for 34 pages to get a tweak but they can't.

I'm a bosmer. I always have been and I always will be. I've been stealthing around very, very well without the 3 yards post-Wrathstone, scoring the highest rank in my sacraments and heists just about every day since the event started (my fault for tripping on so many damn traps), as well as stealing more than my fair share of goods where the only bounty I get is from missing a pick-pocket.

I haven't done any sacraments since my Bosmer is a thief, not an assassin, but heists are not a good representation of stealth mechanics. There are too many lantern enemies and the time limit is so short that almost all heists are memorization of guard routes and running past them when possible. I sprint as far as I stealth doing them. If there was time to properly stealth though and fewer enemies that ignored stealth, then yes that would be both more fun and a better example of this.

An no one is saying we can't sneak around and steal, it's just that we can do it like the Bosmer are supposed to be able to. Quite a few of us chose Bosmer for those lore reasons and had no reason to expect that such a drastic change would happen.
    But as I understand it, this thread is about one thing: change. People don't like change. I didn't like the change at all when it first hit. I didn't even want to log in, I was so bummed out, and I vented in this thread about it more than once. But when I started to play more, I realized that it wasn't as huge of a deal as people are making it out to be. You guys cry "breaking the lore" simply as a viable way to try to make an argument, when it's really about not being able to cope with a negative change to your play-style. It sucks, but I think it's unrealistic for them to give us the 3 yards back, and I think we should put that to rest.

It's not about disliking change. It's about the elimination of a playstyle that the race naturally excels at and has for decades. Lore breaking is a valid reason in and of itself because that's a big part of why we're playing ESO and not a different MMO. We came here to live in an Elder Scrolls world. Screw with the lore too much and it stops becoming that and that will end up driving people away.
    What I do think, however, is that stealth will be expanded upon some more in the coming months, possibly with Elsweyr. They have strongly hinted at it recently (mid January, I think it was) and I know I personally can see a lot of ways they can make stealth more fun. How about a trait that procs the window of opportunity for pickpocketing more often? A trait that makes one pick take all 3 items from an npc? A vanish for every class? A passive that, well, reduces the radius you'll be detected in stealth by 3 yards?

Then they should have messed with the races then. And there's not much they can do with stealth with a complete overhaul of how it works. Let's be honest, ES stealth has always been wonky. I can stand right next to roaring fire, but the enemy can't see me because 6m away and I'm invisible out to 5m.

Giving a trait to steal all three times at once would be way overpowered and would never happen. Procing the pickpocket window more often would just be a quality of life trait like forcing locks (something taken by non-thieves who don't want to be bothered). Vanishing isn't stealth, it's invisibility, a different mechanic. And you can't give a 3m stealth bonus in a skill line without taking it away from Khajiit. That's why they had to lower the initial 5m bonus Khajiit had back to 3m. You could literally walk up to a guard's face and steal from him without being seen.
    Khajit have a big thing for thieving (hence, their awesome racials) and I don't think it's unrealistic to see some sort of khajit thieving guild in the expansion, or an expansion on legerdemain, or something along those lines now that they've tossed the idea out there. I'm upset about this change too, but this thread is getting a ton of negative attention over something that in no way broke the game. It hurt the lore, but is that really what everyone is upset about? 34 pages -just- because lore was twisted a little? Let's calm down, put on some Night Terror gear, and spend our time doing something more productive like asking ZOS to expand stealth in other, friendlier areas, other than going in circles arguing about the same thing every day for the past 2 months.

Bosmer have an even bigger thing for stealing. Khajiit are good thieves because of their agility. It's not that they have a big thing for stealing as it is a different cultural outlook on the distinction between personal and public property. A Khajiit sees something and will just think "oh, that looks useful, I'll bet the owner won't mind if I use it".

Where as Bosmer know the object they're taking fully belongs to the other person, that's why they're stealing it. It's the whole Rite of Theft that is a big part of their culture. Khajiit have theives, Bosmer are thieves.

Put on Night Terror gear? What if we were already wearing Night Terror? Why not take away the Orc weapon damage bonus and just tell them to use more Glyph's of Weapon Damage?

None of us have any objection to them expanding stealth. However the point of these threads is that we're not happy with what they did to Bosmer. They took our racial identity away and in exchange told us to go PvP more.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not baiting. If you feel offended by an opposing opinion that's your problem, not mine. I am as free as you to voice my opinion here, even if it's disliked by the majority of this thread.

My statements are not arrogant. They're reflecting reality. If you rate that as arrogant, okay. But I am stating facts.

Isn't it some sort of entitlement to expect ZOS to change the game in a way you would like to have it? Like honestly, you already said you're not satisfied with anything they give you except you get the stealth bonus back. That's first class entitlement and stating that is not arrogant. It's arrogant to expect ZOS to cater to your wishes.

I'm not offended, but clearly you have offended some which the forum admin had to edit their comments. Of course you are entitled to voice your opinion here, but they were sadly unrelated to the topic and obviously went unappreciated.

Your statements were assumptions of ZOS' choices, speaking for anyone when they are capable of speaking for themselves is rude and arrogant. The reason why you should never do this is because you might give people the wrong impression of them.

Like I've said earlier, there is nothing wrong with being entitled to give your feedback because that's just the nature of how feedback works in this forum or anywhere in the world. A bunch of people criticising something and giving solutions on how it can improve. You're entitled to do debate this my friend, but sadly you were not when your arguments were "but it's time to move on and get over it"

Yes it is arrogant to expect ZOS to do anything, like when you said they shouldn't address the issues regarding racial passive changes. I for one, am hoping not expecting, that they will listen to us. There's the difference.
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

Is it wrong, that choosing race for a special playstyle (lets be honest, many of us choose Bosmers and Khajiits for their looks and RP merits as well as stealth prowess) and later losing the huge part of the flavor results in such demands without compromise?

While I don't own any Bosmers, I have 10 Khajiits and do sympathize with those people who like Bosmers. I don't see how having racial passive makes the game worse for anyone, and I clearly see how not having this passive makes it worse for many players.

I mean, that I don't feel that I needed distinction in stealth playstyle, when I had to chose between Bosmers and Khajiits as stealth races (and it was never the case). And if ZOS felt, that stealth passive required stealth play in PVP from Bosmer players, they could just remove the damage from stealth bonus and leave only detection reduction passive.
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 14, 2019 5:46PM
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(in bold) Exactly.

Good post and something I can agree with. Especially the last paragraph.

Thanks.

I was really salty about the bosmer changes a few weeks ago. It's probably the angriest I have been about anything in game. I built my bosmer knowing it was a weaker option for pve dps (than the old redguard or khajiit) specifically because of stealth and stam regen. I do all content in game and have houses and outfits and build designs based on him being a bosmer. Now I have to decide whether to scrap that history - 4 years of it - for mechanics or live with a set of passives I don't like. He's skill king of stam regen at least.

My saltiness has come way down but I still don't like it. I've also lost faith in ZOS for their unwillingness to listen to feedback. But it is what it is and there is no reason to let it make me so angry. I also question the value of spending my time on the forums giving feedback when I have yet to see my feedback captured in game updates.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not offended, but clearly you have offended some which the forum admin had to edit their comments. Of course you are entitled to voice your opinion here, but they were sadly unrelated to the topic and obviously went unappreciated.

Yes it is arrogant to expect ZOS to do anything, like when you said they shouldn't address the issues regarding racial passive changes. I for one, am hoping not expecting, that they will listen to us. There's the difference.

So you blame it on me that some posters here are posting baiting / insulting comments and ZOS is editing them instead of mine? Maybe my comments weren't the problem to begin with?

"Listen to you?" Again, you expect them to follow your guidance on that topic which is the epitome of entitlement. As several other posters already have said, they're just satisfied when ZOS does exactly what they want. That's not hoping, that's demanding.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My saltiness has come way down but I still don't like it. I've also lost faith in ZOS for their unwillingness to listen to feedback. But it is what it is and there is no reason to let it make me so angry. I also question the value of spending my time on the forums giving feedback when I have yet to see my feedback captured in game updates.

I don't want to be this angry either. I like the game overall, but this change has really killed my desire to play for any stretch of time. For the first week all I did was log in and do crafting writs and upgrade my mount. Even things like dungeons and trials were hard to get motivated for even though stealth had no use there.

I'm slowly getting back into playing, but it's difficult. A big part of my anger is not the actual changes themselves, but more the mindset behind them. It's bad game design and does not give me hope for the future. It's why I finally quit WoW and moved to ESO after the terribleness of the latest expansion BFA.

Yes, you can get used to bad changes. But when the developers start doubling down on bad decisions while trying to pass them off as great for the players, well it doesn't bode well for the future.

That I think is where a lot of the slow burning anger comes from.
  • Wildbloom
    Wildbloom
    ✭✭✭✭

I haven't done any sacraments since my Bosmer is a thief, not an assassin, but heists are not a good representation of stealth mechanics. There are too many lantern enemies and the time limit is so short that almost all heists are memorization of guard routes and running past them when possible. I sprint as far as I stealth doing them. If there was time to properly stealth though and fewer enemies that ignored stealth, then yes that would be both more fun and a better example of this.

An no one is saying we can't sneak around and steal, it's just that we can do it like the Bosmer are supposed to be able to. Quite a few of us chose Bosmer for those lore reasons and had no reason to expect that such a drastic change would happen.

It's not about disliking change. It's about the elimination of a playstyle that the race naturally excels at and has for decades. Lore breaking is a valid reason in and of itself because that's a big part of why we're playing ESO and not a different MMO. We came here to live in an Elder Scrolls world. Screw with the lore too much and it stops becoming that and that will end up driving people away.

Then they should have messed with the races then. And there's not much they can do with stealth with a complete overhaul of how it works. Let's be honest, ES stealth has always been wonky. I can stand right next to roaring fire, but the enemy can't see me because 6m away and I'm invisible out to 5m.

Giving a trait to steal all three times at once would be way overpowered and would never happen. Procing the pickpocket window more often would just be a quality of life trait like forcing locks (something taken by non-thieves who don't want to be bothered). Vanishing isn't stealth, it's invisibility, a different mechanic. And you can't give a 3m stealth bonus in a skill line without taking it away from Khajiit. That's why they had to lower the initial 5m bonus Khajiit had back to 3m. You could literally walk up to a guard's face and steal from him without being seen.

Bosmer have an even bigger thing for stealing. Khajiit are good thieves because of their agility. It's not that they have a big thing for stealing as it is a different cultural outlook on the distinction between personal and public property. A Khajiit sees something and will just think "oh, that looks useful, I'll bet the owner won't mind if I use it".

Where as Bosmer know the object they're taking fully belongs to the other person, that's why they're stealing it. It's the whole Rite of Theft that is a big part of their culture. Khajiit have theives, Bosmer are thieves.

Put on Night Terror gear? What if we were already wearing Night Terror? Why not take away the Orc weapon damage bonus and just tell them to use more Glyph's of Weapon Damage?

None of us have any objection to them expanding stealth. However the point of these threads is that we're not happy with what they did to Bosmer. They took our racial identity away and in exchange told us to go PvP more.

Oh, those were just random suggestions floating in my head. I'm sure ZOS/the community could think of something better if they put their minds to it. Your other arguments are fair, but it's nothing that hasn't been said before, but I still appreciate the reply.

And I'm not saying don't argue. I did plenty of it about two weeks ago. My main point is that it's gone on pretty loudly for months now over something that isn't the end of the world. I picked bosmer because of the stealth bonus, so of course I was upset when it was taken away, but I adapted. I do see your points though, making a steathly, thiefy race suddenly un-stealthy doesn't make much sense, and I can get behind it the argument any day of the week. But if every race got some buffs to thieving to the point where it was more or less trivial while khajit still have an edge, I would be upset but I wont lose my head over it.

Yes it sucks that we lost something important to our lore, but we may have to accept that, in this instance of Elder Scrolls, bosmer's niche in the stealthy category is gonna be a crappy stealth detection trait. I don't like it, you don't like it, I bet you anything some people at ZOS don't even like it, but it would be too big of a deal to change at this point.
    "Hello, Skellington Pal! How are you today? Bone dry, you say? I’d offer you a glass of water, but it’d all fall through! I need more coffee."

ZOS_GinaBruno, patch 5.0.1 PTS patch notes, 4/22/2019
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what has bothered me, they claimed they reviewed the lore and wanted to preserve established lore. They didn't do that or didn't do it well at all.It's been a while since I did the AD quests so I don't know about Bosmer stealth, but Argonian disease immunity and poison resistance is in the damn games lore books and dialogue. The only feedback they seem to take are the top 1% of the players and screw the rest of the 99%. Those top players don't care about race or lore, all they care about is numbers and being the top. That's a bad way to do things if you ask me.

This post is spot on. All these changes are designed for PvP, to satisfy elite min/maxers, with virtually no regard for the average casual PvEer. And they are changing established lore so much that even the wording of many quests makes no sense. Are they really going to go rewrite some of these quests, because some PvPers complained about the 10% damage bonus from stealth? So instead of removing the damage bonus, they scrapped the whole passive because it was easier, and then threw some stuff together to cover it up.

So why should we be happy about it and move on? That doesn't make it right, or logical. Maybe they should add ostrich form to the passive. +50 to burying your head in the sand!

Edited by Jaraal on March 14, 2019 6:51PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you can't give a 3m stealth bonus in a skill line without taking it away from Khajiit. That's why they had to lower the initial 5m bonus Khajiit had back to 3m. You could literally walk up to a guard's face and steal from him without being seen.

This is the part of their explanation that gets me really frustrated. The devs created a random rule that no race shall have the same racial skills as another race and then broke the self-imposed rule with a few races while using it as justification for bad decisions for other races.

I'm fine with them setting rules, it's their world and if I want to remain in it, I have to play by their rules. What I don't like is that they can move the goal posts and then turn around and say (paraphrasing): "we'll give everybody some kind of stealth improvement, so please stop complaining about our inconsistency, ktxbai".

I also don't understand the all or nothing attitude that was only applied to certain races - Khajiit has stealth, so Bosmer can't have any. Bosmer is resistant to poison, so Argonian can't have any - while other races had different numbers applied to the same (or very similar) racial skill.

I'd also like to point out that the statement of "giving stealth back to Bosmer (and every other race) outside of racial skills" is unlikely to happen/will not get Bosmers back to 3m.
    If EVERY race will, in the future, have access to extra stealth by whatever means, that implies that Khajiits will have access to it too.

They had to change Khajiit's range back when people began to test on PTS because the original 5m given to them was too much. If I were to believe the devs will implement a way to give what Bosmers lost - 3m - to all races, Khajiits would have their stealth go up to 6m.
    Edited by KMarble on March 14, 2019 7:46PM
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you blame it on me that some posters here are posting baiting / insulting comments and ZOS is editing them instead of mine? Maybe my comments weren't the problem to begin with?

"Listen to you?" Again, you expect them to follow your guidance on that topic which is the epitome of entitlement. As several other posters already have said, they're just satisfied when ZOS does exactly what they want. That's not hoping, that's demanding.

Nope, I am just saying you're being rude by giving opinions unrelated to the topic which trivialises other forum user's opinions.

To us*. Again, hoping, not expecting. Good for them then, one of the debates here was whether they think they would find 3m stealth detection useful though and several posters have explained here that it is not. So as you can see, there are still constructive arguments going on in this thread even after two months. So to quote you saying we're "just repeating the same arguments for over 30 pages" is another rude and arrogant thing you have said that was unrelated to the topic and unappreciated.

Like I've said, there is nothing wrong with being entitled to give feedback. If something is in "demand" and is reasonable and benefits the game, why the heck not? Guild store revamp, for example, was requested many times and it became a feature that benefited everyone greatly. And frankly, a 3m reduced stealth detection isn't much to ask for. It's good for both PvE and PvP players, players are happy, ZOS will be happy, everyone wins.

Food for thought: Imagine if no one had given their feedback or "demanded", as you so aptly put, improvements to the game in its original state on day 1 release. Would ESO still be around or be as successful as it was today? I imagine, not.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food for thought: Imagine if no one had given their feedback or "demanded", as you so aptly put, improvements to the game in its original state on day 1 release. Would ESO still be around or be as successful as it was today? I imagine, not.

Also, we've been making this criticism since the changes were announced on PTS. If we'd simply had said "well those changes are terrible, oh well" then we'd have the same people in here saying "well you should have spoken up before they went live!"
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So you're perfectly ok if tomorrow all Orcs are beautiful fairy creatures with butterfly wings who cast flower magic and who take the crown for the only remaining thing Bosmer are good at -- being cute? Altmer are hulking sword-swinging, rude and uncultured barbarians? Because that's what has happened to the Bosmer. The core of their racial identity -- Pact, Archery, Stealth -- has been completely stripped away.

Yes, Khajiit have always been thieves. You know who else have always been thieves? Bosmer. For 25 years. We aren't asking for anything new. We are asking that the legacy of the past 25 years be preserved, instead of this lore-breaking garbage. Not twisting. Not tweaking. BREAKING. This is contradictory to all aspects of Bosmer lore. And, as @wedgebert has repeatedly shown it's a garbage passive even when just looking at the numbers.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
This discussion has been closed.