The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dirty warden combo - what are the counterplay options

TheMythicDawn
TheMythicDawn
✭✭✭✭✭
I saw this nasty warden combo

the guy buffed up, qued up sub assault, waited a sec, pulled me in with silver leash. Literally as soon as I dropped in front of him, not even regained control of my character yet the sub assault fires instantly with a dawnbreaker and then spin2win shredded me. I was like "wait they can do that lol"

man props to this guy for the perfectly timed burst combo but what got me was the silver leash. came out of nowhere and the last thing I expected was getting chained into this popular combo

so what are the counterplay options to chain part of this specifically? it felt like the burst all connected before I even recovered out of the silver leash animation. so breakfree throw up block when chained? try to roll dodge through the guy behind him? keep hots/major evasion up and hope I can recover from the burst?

yo give me the tips!
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sub Assault > Silver Leash > (Sub Assault fires off) > Dawnbreaker + Execute = Oof
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this nasty warden combo

the guy buffed up, qued up sub assault, waited a sec, pulled me in with silver leash. Literally as soon as I dropped in front of him, not even regained control of my character yet the sub assault fires instantly with a dawnbreaker and then spin2win shredded me. I was like "wait they can do that lol"

man props to this guy for the perfectly timed burst combo but what got me was the silver leash. came out of nowhere and the last thing I expected was getting chained into this popular combo

so what are the counterplay options to chain part of this specifically? it felt like the burst all connected before I even recovered out of the silver leash animation. so breakfree throw up block when chained? try to roll dodge through the guy behind him? keep hots/major evasion up and hope I can recover from the burst?

yo give me the tips!

Do you know which moves he used? If he is useing leash and you couldn't move your toon after that he is probably spamming shards and wall of elements with a frost enchants. But we need more info.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    animation canceling is all this is. is part of the game.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    animation canceling is all this is. is part of the game.

But so such an extreme? What moved would cause that?
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver leash is a snare too but basically, the silver leash animation pulls your character and while you are getting pulled you don't have freedom of movement

this guy qued up the classic warden combo, but he used silver leash to ensure I would get pulled in to it

so while my character was flying helplesslelly through the air I ate a dawnbreaker and sub assualt on the same global cooldown and was finished with an execute in the next one

it was quite a nasty burst :D
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh and I forgot to mention, I don't have a problem with the dizzy swing version of this combo where the stun from dizzy secures the subsequent burst

i'm looking for tips on the LEASH counterplay part of the combo :)
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this seems to be the new Warden cheese . There’s not much counter play to it because you lose control of your character. You have to immediately dodge after.
  • Nallenil
    Nallenil
    ✭✭✭
    Dodge in his direction to avoid the assault+dawnbreaker that might be your best bet.
    Then depending on your class use the best survivability skill to either get out of there or shield up while blocking.
    Major Evasion nowadays reduces aoe damage by 25% that's something.
    Cure your vampirism maybe if dawnbreaker is an issue too often?
    What class do you play?
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this happened to me on my stamdk, but I switched from the meta 7th + BS etc to a more glass cannon set up so that definitely didn't help lol
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on my old set up I might have had the tankiness to survive but i'm looking more for reaction advice to the combo as opposed to tweaking my build back to heavy armor setup atm

Edited by TheMythicDawn on February 24, 2019 5:24PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leash is a pain in the ass. Once you’re hooked by it you can do nothing but get hit with the DBoS. I swear to god people would rather everyone has a *** time with as little counterplay as possible than just take it upon themselves to play well and use things that aren’t broken somehow.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leash is becoming a staple of many stamina builds in BGs.

And the only counter to it is not a counter for magicka players.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nallenil wrote: »
    Dodge in his direction to avoid the assault+dawnbreaker that might be your best bet.
    Then depending on your class use the best survivability skill to either get out of there or shield up while blocking.
    Major Evasion nowadays reduces aoe damage by 25% that's something.
    Cure your vampirism maybe if dawnbreaker is an issue too often?
    What class do you play?

It’s not always that simple because you’re not getting pulled into one guy it’s into a stack of 4 with snares and aoes . Only reason I could avoid it was because I was playing Stam Sorc.

Edited by CatchMeTrolling on February 24, 2019 7:38PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, silver Leash just now catching on?

I got posts saying how bamf it is back in the day.

It's particularly nasty when combined with Zaan and Roots
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Seenoevil
    Seenoevil
    ✭✭✭
    Step 1.) Get your stam nb.
    Step 2.) Equip eternal hunt
    Step 3.) Place a rearming trap in front of you.
    Step 4.) Sneak/cloak and wait for prey.
    Step 5.) Silver leash into said trap.
    Step 6.) Incap anicancelled with dogeroll.
    Step 7.) Execute as needed
    Step 8.) Tbag the life out of them
    Step 9.) Repeat from step 3
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, the warden spent his dawnbreaker on you alone, instead of shalking your whole group

It's not that bad, I guess?
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sub Assault > Silver Leash > (Sub Assault fires off) > Dawnbreaker + Execute = Oof

See him cast Sub Assault
    Start blocking one second after that
    Look at him waste a Sub Assault and possibly a Silver Leash and a Dawnbreaker

Not perfect (shouldn't be) but block is often the answer to predictable burst combos.
    Edited by Aznox on February 25, 2019 7:16AM
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More defense, more healing, mutagen, rolling, blocking, healing ult, major evasion, major protection, and if all of that fails...

I know, I know I shouldn't say it, but...Whitestrakes! :D It might actually save you and give you time to roll.

If that still fails, well...er...get a healer buddy?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this combo. It works nice.

Can’t wait for people to start hate whispering that I’m just on some new band wagon >.>
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immobile pots should help with the silver leash
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    I use this combo. It works nice.

Can’t wait for people to start hate whispering that I’m just on some new band wagon >.>

Don´t forget Trap beast and Trapping Webs ;)

But to be honest, it gets boring rather quickly,
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically akin to Sub->Dizzy->DBoS only with less dmg (since Dizzy is more dmg than Leash) but more reliable to land and more cheese.

The problem is not really caused by Leash but more so by the delayed, AoE, undodgeable burst dmg of Shalk. Obviously that said Shalk can't get nerfed, because that would require a redesign of Warden class since the nerfs to the other skills resulted on Warden clutching on Shalk for dmg, burst and debuffing. That's not gonna happen, so it is what it is.

As for avoiding it, if you get pulled timely.. you can't. People forget that when you dodge your character's location is re-registered only when the dodge finishes. Hence you run (instead of dodge) out of the dragon poisons in HM Scalecaller Peak. So ground effects that are undodgeable (like Shalk) will hit you mid-dodge. You will also take more dmg from the post-DBoS steel tornando, since dodge puts a Silence effect on you which triggers the Ruffian passive of DW.

I would say that unless you have some insane speeds that can break the targeting system, your best option is to block once you see your character being pulled. You might end up blocking the DBoS and you should be able to block the Steel Tornado so that is less damage than dodging.
    EU | PC | AD
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver Leash - 2019's draining shot

almost as buggy. just as triggering.

twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some good info and tips in here everyone ty so much
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two days ago I was killed by this combo. I followed that guy and pvped him like 5 more times.
    After understanding a bit his moves and skills I did what I had... I reactivated my Stam warden xD
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    Silver Leash - 2019's draining shot

almost as buggy. just as triggering.

Indeed. Got one shotted by a NB using Snipe, Leash and Excute. I was in 5 heavy. Didn’t got ganked since forever.