Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo trial for tanks and/or healers

Limasaurus
Limasaurus
Soul Shriven
I've been thinking that it'd be really cool to have a solo trial for tanks and/or healers. Like Maelstrom Arena is for DDs and it is kinda unfair that other roles can't test their survival skills.
I'm not sure how solo trial would work for healer but tank could have something like he needs to survive waves for certain amount of time and enemies gets stronger after every wave.
I have lot of tanks and few healers, so this could be also a great opportunity for them to test how good they are. Or at least for one of them if they ever added anything like this.
I'm curious is anyone else hoping solo trials for tanks and/or healers? And what are their ideas for them?
  • pluckpluck
    pluckpluck
    ✭✭✭
    The great stuff with eso is that each class can be stamina or magicka, DD or tank or healer. The fact you decided your characters will be healers and tanks is only your choice, but you can respec everything to turn your characters as DDs the time of Maelstrom.

"The net is a waste of time and that's exactly what's right about it. "
    -- W. Gibson
  • Limasaurus
    Limasaurus
    Soul Shriven
    pluckpluck wrote: »
    The great stuff with eso is that each class can be stamina or magicka, DD or tank or healer. The fact you decided your characters will be healers and tanks is only your choice, but you can respec everything to turn your characters as DDs the time of Maelstrom.

Yes, I do have DDs also. But my point was that it'd be awesome for every role to have a chance to test their survival skills. It's only unfair to favor only DDs to have a chance for this.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maelstrom arena isn't actually for pure DD's though, it's a challenge for well-rounded solo PvE builds. You need a build that can dish out decent healing, means to survive and do dmg.

Not really sure there's enough strict healers or tanks to warrant a completely new trial mode either. Most people actually don't mind playing multiple roles and builds. I've completed Maelstrom on both healer and tank myself multiple times, by changing into a solo oriented build.

I'm not against the ideas itself though. Would be cool with a tank or healing challenge. Just not sure how it would translate into solo mode, since both healing and tanking is group oriented jobs. Tanking as well as healing is about helping and keeping team mates safe, not staying alive for as long as possible.
  • Limasaurus
    Limasaurus
    Soul Shriven
    eliisra wrote: »
    Maelstrom arena isn't actually for pure DD's though, it's a challenge for well-rounded solo PvE builds. You need a build that can dish out decent healing, means to survive and do dmg.

Not really sure there's enough strict healers or tanks to warrant a completely new trial mode either. Most people actually don't mind playing multiple roles and builds. I've completed Maelstrom on both healer and tank myself multiple times, by changing into a solo oriented build.

I'm not against the ideas itself though. Would be cool with a tank or healing challenge. Just not sure how it would translate into solo mode, since both healing and tanking is group oriented jobs. Tanking as well as healing is about helping and keeping team mates safe, not staying alive for as long as possible.

True. Solo trial might not be the best idea for it but I just wish there could be some way to test your tanking and healing. Like DDs have target skeleton where they can test their dps but tank and healers can only guess if they are good enough for vet dungeons and trials. Well I'm not saying tanks and healers would be hard to build but it might be kinda embarassing if they try out a new build and enters vet dungeon or trials and then notice their build is not that good. I have usually tested my tanking against world bosses but they are not nearly as deadly as vet dungeon bosses.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limasaurus wrote: »
    I've been thinking that it'd be really cool to have a solo trial for tanks and/or healers. Like Maelstrom Arena is for DDs and it is kinda unfair that other roles can't test their survival skills.
    I'm not sure how solo trial would work for healer but tank could have something like he needs to survive waves for certain amount of time and enemies gets stronger after every wave.
    I have lot of tanks and few healers, so this could be also a great opportunity for them to test how good they are. Or at least for one of them if they ever added anything like this.
    I'm curious is anyone else hoping solo trials for tanks and/or healers? And what are their ideas for them?

I think some specific content designed for healers and tanks would be great!

Healers could be required to keep NPCs alive with heals and support them to do the killing through some content. Not sure about tanks though. I feel like designing healing content would be easier and more straight forward.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about support roles is that it can not measured objectively like offense roles. It is exactly, what it says one the tin, a support role, meaning they are there to support others, leaving the primary job of killing enemies to the DDs.
  • Trikie_Dik
    Trikie_Dik
    ✭✭✭
    But the major component for support roles is not just healing or block-taunting though, anyone with a resto staff or a Templar can dish out enough heals for a group no problem or hold a block till the mob is dead... the real deciding factor for who I have run the heals and tank role on vet content in my trials guild is their ability to keep the uptime on their group buffs as near 100% and de-buffs on the target as much as the set/skill will allow.while still knowing how to position and adapt to any given fight.

Factor that skill in with acquiring the required sets to be versatile and swap to any other support set catering to the situation out weighs your raw Heals per second IMO. Keeping that IA up on the reset, combat prayer down on the DDs at all time, olo proc'd in the bulk of the DDs, puncture and drain on the targets, orbs and shards fed to the group and tank, crowd control and taunts, and knowing how to manage resources all come into play when deciding who's really up to par for the hardest of hard end-game-content. Sure a healer has to heal and a tank needs to tank, but that role is so much more then just throwing springs out or standing there with a S&B holding block the entire fight.

Back to the point, solo content for that type of role would be cool but wouldn't really give the same kind of info needed to know who's ready to support the group in ultimate end game content IMO.
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause I wanna spend 40 minutes blocking damage lol nah sounds incredibly boring and pointless.

**edit** most people can't tank a dungeon these days just imagine the very few percent that could survive a wave based arena as a solo tank.
    Edited by BlazingDynamo on February 10, 2019 5:58PM
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW actually had something like this in the MOP expansion. There was a solo arena with challenges for tanks, healers, and dps. I came across it during my one month of playing WoW lol. It was pretty neat.

Dps challenge was sort of like a more straight forward Maelstrom Arena with multiple difficulty tiers.
    Heal challenge had you keep some NPC tank/dps alive while they attacked the add waves. The loss condition included you or the npc's dying.
    Tank challenge had you aggro the adds/bosses to protect NPC healers/dps.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause I wanna spend 40 minutes blocking damage lol nah sounds incredibly boring and pointless.

**edit** most people can't tank a dungeon these days just imagine the very few percent that could survive a wave based arena as a solo tank.

if making round 3 or 5 would unlock "random vet" and "random DLC vet" queues you would be utterly surprised to see just how many new players would suddenly learn to tank properly...
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg sorry this was reply to wrong thread.
    Edited by IzzyStardust on February 25, 2019 1:25PM
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I liked about FFXIV was that before you could do any dungeons you had to go through an arena of sorts for whatever your role was. Wasn't necessarily meant to be a challenge but more so a tutorial on how to get started with whatever role you chose, priority, stuff like that. I've always thought it'd be cool to see something similar in ESO.

Theoretically I can see a more challenging arena along those lines... healers must keep 'team mates' alive and keep the boss debuffed and 'team mates' buffed for it to go more quickly, tanks keep things from hitting 'team mates' as well as debuffing or buffing to increase speed, with the faster speeds getting better scores... I'd personally enjoy something like that, but I'm not sure how much interest there would be in that type of content as the vast majority of players in this game are DDs.

There aren't a lot of solo opportunities in ESO for support that really grows you as a support player as Maelstrom does for DDs (that said I think that completing Maelstrom is fantastic for helping you grow as a player all around, even if you 'main' a support role).
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I see Drummer's post up there, it does not seem as though it would be up to the challenge like vMA.

I can really see the issue on the healing side as healing in this game is much more than healing and the healing part is pretty much just AoEs so it would come down to a very simple equation of stacking enough regen and the rest max stats.

Tanking as well since keeping agro is very straight forward in ESO, taunt or lose agro. Granted, the "challenge" can be increased by tossing in a number of NPCs to keep taunted and failure is loosing taunt on any one NPC. All this while having to move out of mechanics, maybe have some one shot attacks that need to be dodged or die, a tank swap (with an NPC tank) that if not done right you die similar to the vHoF committee fight, but I do not see anything that would really be on par with what we have in vMA.

IDK, maybe if someone actually came up with design ideas.