The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Can you find a use for all 10 races?

Evil_Rurouni
Evil_Rurouni
✭✭✭
I'm one of those guys that runs ten characters.
2 of each class, 1 magika and 1 stamina.
Each character has a particular job I intend to use them for once they've got all their gear and undaunted passives.

Magika Templar: Trials healer.
Stamina Templar: Trials stam DPS
Magika Nightblade: Stealth based content and Ranged magika DPS.
Stamina Nightblade: Stealth based content and PvP.
Magika Dragonknight: Melee magika DPS.
Stamina Dragonknight: Trials tank.
Magika Sorcerer: Pet based magika DPS.
Stamina Sorcerer: Solo farming overland and in vMA.
Magika Warden: Dungeon healer.
Stamina Warden: Dungeon Tank.

If Zenimax have completely succeeded in making the races balanced it should be possible to use all 10 races to make good builds for my setups without feeling the need to have duplicates or omitted races, and there should be a variety of different valid setups suggested by different forum members.

Part of the reasoning for the balance changes was to avoid certain classes being typecast for certain races such as tank = argonian, mDK = Dunmer, petsorc = Altmer, and the potential templar DPS = Khajiit situation we saw in early PTS.

So, what race would you use for each of my characters and why?
Which races did you want to use 2 or more of and why?
Which races did you find hard to find a use for and why?
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't find your Nightblade is better at solo farming overland and vMA over your Stamsorc?
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some players use race to make up for what they lack. Others use race to push what they have even further.

Unless you're in the second group and doing bleeding edge trial runs for that...#1 slot or whatever, you can use any race for any of the setups you've listed above.

TLDR Use Bosmer for all of them for maximum cute.
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    You don't find your Nightblade is better at solo farming overland and vMA over your Stamsorc?

I often run stage 4 vampire on the nightblades for sneak speed.
    That conflicts with the fire damage in later stages of vma, amongst other issues.

I could use bloody mara to go down stages then mist form to go back up again as needed, but its a PITA.
    Easier to use stamsorc for that and use the nightblades for stuff where fire isn't an issue.

Besides, the minor expedition and AoE from hurricane combined with Vicious Ophidian is dirty good for vma or just murdering trash in delves quickly to get to the boss quicker.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton. Magika Templar: Trials healer.
    Orc. Stamina Templar: Trials stam DPS
    Dunmer. Magika Nightblade: Stealth based content and Ranged magika DPS.
    Khajiit. Stamina Nightblade: Stealth based content and PvP.
    Dunmer or Breton. Magika Dragonknight: Melee magika DPS.
    Imperial or Nord. Stamina Dragonknight: Trials tank.
    Altmer. Magika Sorcerer: Pet based magika DPS.
    Orc. Stamina Sorcerer: Solo farming overland and in vMA.
    Breton. Magika Warden: Dungeon healer.
    Nord or Imperial. Stamina Warden: Dungeon Tank.

Redguard and Argonian might as well be deleted from the game, and Altmer's trash utility only functions in highly niche situations, making it overshadowed by Breton and Dunmer all but 2-3 narrow cases.

Assuming current changes go live:

My main Altmer Magplar will be shifted to PvP. I have five Argonians, two Redguards, a Bosmer, and two other Altmer that all need race changes though. Every single PvE character I have got crapped on, but my top three priorities would probably be to change my support Argonians since they got the worst of it. Templar healer to Breton, DK tank to Imperial, and Warden tank to Nord.

But I'll probably just hold onto the tokens for a while because I have ZERO confidence in the balance stability of this game moving forward. And I won't be buying any more (ever again, and I've bought a lot in the past) because I have ZERO interest in buying things from a company that changes the product after-the-fact and then charges people money to fix their characters after horribly bungled "balancing". If they want to be a slimy business, then I'll be a freeloader from now on, until/unless I resub (which will only happen if they someday fix this embarrassing failure of a patch.) I've already moved everything into chests and deleted a ton of excess crap to clear bank space for mats so I can survive without the craft bag.

Sad thing is I run a trials guild and I've already seen several elite, endgame players quit the game over the past 2 weeks of PTS over these changes. This is the third time in four years of ESO that I've had a front row seat to watch ZOS incompetence and/or cash grabs drive my friends out of the social game we play together.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on February 23, 2019 8:49PM
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    RP, easy.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    Some players use race to make up for what they lack. Others use race to push what they have even further.

This, especially in pvp builds.

• LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Breton. Magika Templar: Trials healer.
    Orc. Stamina Templar: Trials stam DPS
    Dunmer. Magika Nightblade: Stealth based content and Ranged magika DPS.
    Khajiit. Stamina Nightblade: Stealth based content and PvP.
    Dunmer or Breton. Magika Dragonknight: Melee magika DPS.
    Imperial or Nord. Stamina Dragonknight: Trials tank.
    Altmer. Magika Sorcerer: Pet based magika DPS.
    Orc. Stamina Sorcerer: Solo farming overland and in vMA.
    Breton. Magika Warden: Dungeon healer.
    Nord or Imperial. Stamina Warden: Dungeon Tank.

Redguard and Argonian might as well be deleted from the game, and Altmer's trash utility only functions in highly niche situations, making it overshadowed by Breton and Dunmer all but 2-3 narrow cases.

Assuming current changes go live:

My main Altmer Magplar will be shifted to PvP. I have five Argonians, two Redguards, a Bosmer, and two other Altmer that all need race changes though. Every single PvE character I have got crapped on, but my top three priorities would probably be to change my support Argonians since they got the worst of it. Templar healer to Breton, DK tank to Imperial, and Warden tank to Nord.

But I'll probably just hold onto the tokens for a while because I have ZERO confidence in the balance stability of this game moving forward. And I won't be buying any more (ever again, and I've bought a lot in the past) because I have ZERO interest in buying things from a company that changes the product after-the-fact and then charges people money to fix their characters after horribly bungled "balancing". If they want to be a slimy business, then I'll be a freeloader from now on, until/unless I resub (which will only happen if they someday fix this embarrassing failure of a patch.) I've already moved everything into chests and deleted a ton of excess crap to clear bank space for mats so I can survive without the craft bag.

Sad thing is I run a trials guild and I've already seen several elite, endgame players quit the game over the past 2 weeks of PTS over these changes. This is the third time in four years of ESO that I've had a front row seat to watch ZOS incompetence and/or cash grabs drive my friends out of the social game we play together.

No idea why you'd pick Orc for a vMA stamsorc to be honest. Seems like Redguard is far and away the obvious choice for stamsorcs. The build has trashcan sustain and in vMA almost all of your skills are weapon skills (Shrouded Daggers, 'Nado, Rending Slashes, Hail, Poison Injection, and Ballista). Redguard seems like a no-brainer. I'm happily keeping my stamsorc a Redguard (and my stamDK and probably my stamplar as well).
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    No idea why you'd pick Orc for a vMA stamsorc to be honest. Seems like Redguard is far and away the obvious choice for stamsorcs. The build has trashcan sustain and in vMA almost all of your skills are weapon skills (Shrouded Daggers, 'Nado, Rending Slashes, Hail, Poison Injection, and Ballista). Redguard seems like a no-brainer. I'm happily keeping my stamsorc a Redguard (and my stamDK and probably my stamplar as well).

vMA is a burst and survive game. Orc gets more burst and more health.

I don't have sustain problems in vMA, so I don't care about the weapon cost reduction or the recovery on Redguard.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting question, I am eager to see an answer.

I am also wondering if all the races have a "meta" best in slot. I am guessing they do not.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magika Templar: Trials healer. - Breton or Altmer
    Stamina Templar: Trials stam DPS - Orc
    Magika Nightblade: Stealth based content and Ranged magika DPS - Breton or Altmer
    Stamina Nightblade: Stealth based content and PvP - Khajiit if ganking, Bosmer if not
    Magika Dragonknight: Melee magika DPS - Breton
    Stamina Dragonknight: Trials tank - Nord or Imperial
    Magika Sorcerer: Pet based magika DPS - Altmer
    Stamina Sorcerer: Solo farming overland and in vMA - Redguard
    Magika Warden: Dungeon healer - Breton
    Stamina Warden: Dungeon Tank - Argonian

And if you had magicka PVP I would put there dunmer to finish it :P
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

vMA is a burst and survive game. Orc gets more burst and more health.

I don't have sustain problems in vMA, so I don't care about the weapon cost reduction or the recovery on Redguard.

Even with VO, sustain is rough on an Orc running blue food in vMA, especially on boss rounds where you aren't killing a lot of adds. An Orc with gold food has less health than a Redguard with Blue food and the difference in max stamina makes up most of the Orc's weapon damage advantage.

But if you're comfortable with the low sustain of an Orc with blue food in vMA, a couple of things ...

1. Redguard was already not the optimal racial choice. Might as well be Khajiit on Live.
    2. A Redguard running a pure damage set with blue food has about the same sustain as an Orc running VO with blue food, especially on boss rounds. So you could potentially mix up gear sets and get better damage out of the Redguard. I think Veiled Heritance + NMG + Balorgh will be really sweaty on a Redguard stamsorc for boss rounds (or even Leviathan to pair with The Shadow). In fact, you could run the Redguard with Gold food and easily ditch VO altogether, but personally I like the speed bonus during trash rounds. That cheaper Ballista is really nice, too. Easier to use it on minibosses and still have it back up for the boss round.

I've been in vMA on a stamsorc on PTS and I prefer the flexibility of the Redguard. But, to each their own.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 23, 2019 11:19PM
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah man. There's a certain set combo I use that makes vMA a snoozefest on any class (including totally classless, which I've also done with no problems). It's not something that works everywhere in the game but it gets newbies through vMA as soon as they hit 160 in my guild. Nobody else really uses them because they're not particularly good sets outside of vMA. I've got sustain, healing, and defense all covered. I just need the race to bring raw damage stats.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on February 24, 2019 12:42AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton Orc and a Nord. Dont need the rest