Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Support claims they can't change my billing country, so I can't pay for ESOPlus

paney
paney
Soul Shriven
I'm posting here, because I lost all hope in the customer service guys, answering my e-mails.
The story is that I live in three countries, couple of months a year in each. Two of them are in Europe and one is in Asia. Oficially I'm a resident in only one of them (Poland) and therefore, because of the recent anti tax avoidance legislation, I only use my Polish bank account to recieve my payments. Because of that I can only use credit card issued by a Polish bank to pay for stuff online.
I started playing ESO about three weeks when i was in Norway, and I've been there since. Therefore the system automatically set my residence country to Norway and doesn't let me to change it myself. On the website it says i need to contact the customer service via ticket to do it. The problem is that support also claims they can't do it, because the system recognized me as a resident of Norway! And MasterCard wont let the payment through if the country code is invalid...
According to the e-mails i've been talking with three different guys, using probably fake English names, and every one of them said that changing the billing country can't be done, because the system knows better than me, where I reside.
Maybe some of the friendly mods on the forum will understand where I'm standing and could help me to solve the issue.
I would also like to state that changing the country will make me to pay more for the subscription (99NOK compared to 50 PLN) so I'm not trying to be cheap here. I just want be able to pay for the service I want to buy from you.
My ticket number is 190212-002715
I will appriciate any help.
Cheers.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno maybe you could have a look at this.

@paney Imo collecting data is one thing. Using collected data for company profiling is another... and I feel what has happened with your personal data is not allowed. You may have a look at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/privacy-policy and contact the privacy coordinator.

However I know nothing about polish law, or norwayian immigration laws.

I just think it stinks that information about your current place of residence is of any value regarding which residence your bank (account) has. As long as you use your bank account there shouldn't be a problem at all!

Good luck!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds more like a address matching issue than a privacy one. Credit cards need the addresses to match the address that the account is set up in for billing. It is a fraud prevention measure and entirely needed. It prevents another person from using your card or account without actually knowing your address and just using theirs.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    It sounds more like a address matching issue than a privacy one. Credit cards need the addresses to match the address that the account is set up in for billing. It is a fraud prevention measure and entirely needed. It prevents another person from using your card or account without actually knowing your address and just using theirs.

Well, he has 3 adresses... as far as I understood. And currently having 2 adresses myself I've not stumbled over any delivery or payment problems when shopping online lately. (And yes i sometimes use one other times the other adress for my stuff to be send to, wouldn't have been able to do my christmas shopping the last 2 years, if that wasn't possible. My bank only knows one adress, my permanent one. The second adress keeps changing now and then. )

edit: I almost forgot. Years ago i actually DID have problems with my credit card. I was on another continent, got so sick that my voice was gone within 3 days and thats when my bank decided it was very unusual for my credit card to be in that specific country... (I may add i really tried to get connected to a real person in my bank but the stupid automatic system just wasn't up to understanding someone far away and out of voice). Well, one week later, after a 18 h flight back home I headed straight to my bank and opened a drama that prevented any further mothering of my credit card, by my bank. So, THAT might be a tat difference.
    Edited by Elsterchen on February 13, 2019 8:30PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't about having multiple addresses. What is most likely happening is the Residence address is tied to the billing address. The billing address has to match your bank account address to work. That is where the problem is happening.

For example, if your bank account was setup with an address in another country, and you then moved to the US but didn't change your address. When you put in a zip code, you have to put in the code for the address the account is set up on and not the new address you are living at.

Now, I am not saying that it shouldn't be something that shouldn't be changeable from your account. Just that it isn't a personal data collection issue the way it was stated in the first response.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jaws343 ty for clearification, now I understand what you mean. :)

Well, @paney just maybe keep us informed, I am very curious now.
  • paney
    paney
    Soul Shriven
    @Elsterchen I will let you know when I get any further answers from the support. Polish and Norwegian laws according personal data protection are just like laws in any other country in Schengen area (they have been unified by GDPR). And I actually mentioned my right to correct my personal data in my last e-mail to the support. Norwegian immigration laws dont apply here as I'm in fact spending my holidays now in Norway (that's why i have time to play over 5 hours a day :)

@jaws343 As long as Zenimax (or Bethesda) allows me to freely edit my personal data I will have no claims regardig its misuse. And I totally agree that the it's the address mismatching issue. I'm just extremely surprised and frustrated that fixing it is so problematic.
  • paney
    paney
    Soul Shriven
    @Elsterchen @jaws343
    I just got another e-mail from the support. It's ridicilous!!!
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is XXX and I am part of the specialized team.

I understand you would like to change the country associated with the account from Norway to Poland. We would be more than happy to continue with this request, however, based off the information gathered from the ticket that was submitted we cannot make the requested changes to the account at this time.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any other worries, we would be delighted to help.

Warm Regards,
    XXX
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

*Name edited.
    Edited by paney on February 14, 2019 6:29PM
  • paney
    paney
    Soul Shriven
    @Elsterchen @jaws343
    If you guys are still interested I would like to inform you that I lost my patience and just sent them an official call to change the inaccurate data. If Zenimax dont't comply I will just complain to Polish Data Protection Inspectorate (GIODO), when I'm back in Poland in two weeks, and let them to their job in protecting my privacy.
    To Whom It May Concern:

I'm hereby requesting rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning me according to Article 16 GDPR.

Please make the following changes:
    - Residency country to 'POLAND'

In case you have disclosed the affected personal data to third parties, you have to communicate my request for rectification of the affected personal data to each recipient as laid down in Article 19 GDPR. Please also inform me about those recipients.

My request explicitly includes any other services and companies for which you are the controller as defined by Article 4(7) GDPR.

As laid down in Article 12(3) GDPR, you have to confirm the erasure to me without undue delay and in any event within one month of receipt of the request.

I am including the following information necessary to identify me:
    Name: XXX XXX
    Nationality: Polish
    Country of permanent residence: Poland
    ESO ID: paney
    e-mail: xxx@xxx.com

If you do not answer my request within the stated period, I am reserving the right to take legal action against you and to lodge a complaint with the responsible supervisory authority.

Yours sincerely,
    XXX XXX
  • paney
    paney
    Soul Shriven
    @Elsterchen @jaws343

And my superhero for today is Brian! Thanks a lot dude!
    Greetings,

I'm Brian a member of the Escalations Team here with The Elder Scrolls Online Support.

Upon review, I have changed the Country for the account from Norway to Poland as per your request. As always please let us know if you have any other questions, issues or concerns and we will make sure that you are taken care of.

May the Eight forever bless you with fortune and glory.

Warm regards,
    Brian
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear.

Sorry it took so much trouble.

Good luck to you (... and don#t forget: naming-and-shaming isn't allowed!) ;)
  • paney
    paney
    Soul Shriven
    @Elsterchen
    I praise not shame Brian :)