Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag Sorc

AlphaCrucis
AlphaCrucis
✭✭✭
I haven’t played ESO for over 6 months but since returning it seems that my shields are weaker (harden ward). I’m sure the tool tip said my shield would absorb over 19,000 but now it’s only around 10,000. What got nerfed?
Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
Brenton, Templar, Healer
Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
PS4, NA Server
Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shield strength is capped at 50% of your max health.

This only applies to conjured ward with morphs and annulment with morphs.
    Edited by Vildebill on February 11, 2019 6:49AM
    EU PC
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how shields are weaker in PvE than they are in PvP now. Totally good game design.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change to stamina sorcerer
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not using shields since Nerf :D
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how shields are weaker in PvE than they are in PvP now. Totally good game design.

When was the last time you got a critical hit in PvE or that you had to face tank?
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

When was the last time you got a critical hit in PvE or that you had to face tank?

I think what he meant was that your shield is actually larger due to the battle spirit passive in PvP. Since you get more health you get more shield.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welcome back to the new world of "balanced" ESO combat. Shields now scale of max health and use your resistances. So high health, high resistance builds have strong shields (I never could get my head around that brilliant piece of logic). You're traditional high DPS, low health mag build now has complete crap for shields. You'd be hard pressed to find ANY PVE players who liked the shield nerfs that came with Murkmire. The complaints where vehement, but ZOS didn't care. The devs thought it would make things interesting, so that's all that matters. :/
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to subscribe to the 'lol sorc r bad!' forum mentality here. The old meta is gone, long live the new meta.

Do add some actual armor. It's not like there aren't a ton of options for this with three different monster sets, skills like boundless, armor/defense sets (impreg, armor master, riposte) and protective jewelry.

Wear Impen, many of us were doing this before already.

Add some health, remember those tristat enchants nobody used because max Magicka was everything? Wear a few. There's tristat jewelry too, check it out.

Need damage? Check out the new sets. You get nearly 1000 spell damage buffed out of spell strat, and that's one set.

Healing? Use the matriarch. Yeah I hate it too, but it works. You can sulk about it, or use it and go double destro and slot elemental drain.

It's still a fun class to play, and I'm having a good time with it. It takes some skill and practice to really do well with, and that's a good thing.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    Welcome back to the new world of "balanced" ESO combat. Shields now scale of max health and use your resistances. So high health, high resistance builds have strong shields (I never could get my head around that brilliant piece of logic). You're traditional high DPS, low health mag build now has complete crap for shields. You'd be hard pressed to find ANY PVE players who liked the shield nerfs that came with Murkmire. The complaints where vehement, but ZOS didn't care. The devs thought it would make things interesting, so that's all that matters. :/
    Shields don't scale with health--they still scale with max magicka. And the health cap is irrelevant in PvP unless you have an absurd amount of max magicka (60+k). Stop spreading misinformation please.
  • Lasinagol
    Lasinagol
    ✭✭✭
    Shields scale off of magicka, but are capped at 50% of overall health pool. I only really ever ran a magsorc, the learning curve to git gud with it is not like a nightblade. Because of the amount of nerfs dealt over the time I've been playing have made it "fun" to adapt and watch the people who fail to do so die repeatedly. Wonder if my shields will even be able to get to that cap after the Racial Passives happen...
    Altmer Supremist, filthy spell slinger since Nerevar was assasinated
  • Murador178
    Murador178
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lasinagol wrote: »
    Shields scale off of magicka, but are capped at 50% of overall health pool. I only really ever ran a magsorc, the learning curve to git gud with it is not like a nightblade. Because of the amount of nerfs dealt over the time I've been playing have made it "fun" to adapt and watch the people who fail to do so die repeatedly. Wonder if my shields will even be able to get to that cap after the Racial Passives happen...

14k on hardened ward is quite doable resulting in a 42k eHP char :wink: .
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    I refuse to subscribe to the 'lol sorc r bad!' forum mentality here. The old meta is gone, long live the new meta.

Do add some actual armor. It's not like there aren't a ton of options for this with three different monster sets, skills like boundless, armor/defense sets (impreg, armor master, riposte) and protective jewelry.

Add some health, remember those tristat enchants nobody used because max Magicka was everything? Wear a few. There's tristat jewelry too, check it out.

Need damage? Check out the new sets. You get nearly 1000 spell damage buffed out of spell strat, and that's one set.

Healing? Use the matriarch. Yeah I hate it too, but it works. You can sulk about it, or use it and go double destro and slot elemental drain.

It's still a fun class to play, and I'm having a good time with it. It takes some skill and practice to really do well with, and that's a good thing.

Agreed. I found a build that works, and it works because most people don't know it and most players don't know how to counter it. I was forced to do it because of these changes but it made me better.
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The shield nerfs killed the fun in playing magsorc for me. Changed race and respeced to a stamsorc and haven't looked back.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield Changes?
    PVE . yeah its a nerf, but not a big deal,
    PVP, even stronger than before (play no CP for better effect: crit is so low that crit hit on shield isn't a problem, and you get a boost from resistances)
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »

The shield nerfs killed the fun in playing magsorc for me. Changed race and respeced to a stamsorc and haven't looked back.

You really need to try one of the new meta builds before you knock it (posted in PVP and youtube cyrusArya and pelican have really good ones).

The 'shield nerf' isn't a nerf if you build right, and you can still do plenty of damage.