Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS make Crown trade scam proof

• BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Or you could use gifting for what it's for: Gifting.

Then you don't have to worry about being scammed.

We are not talking about gifts, we are talking about currency exchange. Think before you speak.

There are multiple ways to reduce the risks associated with crown trading to negligible levels. Trading with well-known friends is one option. The other one is to use a guild master that both parties can trust as a broker. Another option is to use established brokerage services that exist on some servers. If you can't manage in-game risks, buy crowns with your money, not gold.

I find currently existing system more interesting one and less buggy than any possible solution ZOS could come up with in couple of month. I think we need more QoL updates, but hopefully not crown-related.

Please stop making excuses for a company that you dont even work for. It is people like you that halt and delay new and useful features. I'm talking about this:

"If you can't manage in-game risks, buy crowns with your money, not gold."

Oh yeah lets all of us take unecessary risks wich could be avoided with a simple trade system or tweaks in the existing one, get scammed and spend hours crying for the support give us the gold back until they finaly do it just to stop wasting time.

Just get out.

Yes. The point is useful. If we came to this, there are lots of things that would be useful for more than couple percent of players that trade crowns. Like better dungeon finder tools or better inventory management UI or many other things that people asked here.

"A simple trade system" is not what comes to mind when you describe in-game trading system involving real money transactions (even real money equivalent). Don't be delusional. Because such systems usually come with customer support, refund system, integrity guarantees and many other things that you didn't have time to think of to actually consider how much effort this might require

After using wow tokens for years I can say that the delusional one is you, overcomplicating something that other games are doing for many years.

ZOS already deals with this probably on a daily basis and I bet it would be easier for them if they had a proper exchange ingame.

Right now the crown/gold trade couldn't be worse, people get scammed, third parties get away with profits and ZOS is losing money. I'm 100% sure that people would buy a lot of crowns solely to trade for gold, as it happens in wow. Instead, we have botters that sell gold online.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest thing to do is use a C.O.D. mailing system. The price is set by the seller, and the buyer doesn't get it until it is paid for. 24 hour wait period before the transaction is cancelled.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of honest options around if you want to buy/sell crowns via guilds / discord.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    klowdy1 wrote: »
    The easiest thing to do is use a C.O.D. mailing system. The price is set by the seller, and the buyer doesn't get it until it is paid for. 24 hour wait period before the transaction is cancelled.

That is also a good idea, I would be happy with it.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We are not talking about gifts, we are talking about currency exchange. Think before you speak.

We are talking about a gifting system that some players are using as a currency exchange.

Any attempts to codify this into a currency exchange will only work for material in-game items (gold, gear or consumables) and would leave anyone offering crowns for services (skyreach, vet dungeon or trial carries, for example) in the same situation as everybody who is using gifting as an exchange system now.

So unless you have a solution that covers all scenarios, I have actually thought about this more than you.
    The Moot Councillor
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    klowdy1 wrote: »

Which, again, is the system that deals with in-game items and currencies. C.O.D. system is not scam-proof per se. It's just that there are not many people that really want to cheat an in-game mailing system that badly. I think, if you introduce something more valuable there, like crowns, suddenly there would be much more dedicated people working on hacking in-game mailing.

Nowhere in the game we have a system that manages transfering crowns between players. So, basically, ZOS will have to implement such a system from scratch with all infrastructure involved. Because, it would be the next request in the line, should "gift trading" be introduced
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on February 12, 2019 5:01PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We are talking about a gifting system that some players are using as a currency exchange.

Any attempts to codify this into a currency exchange will only work for material in-game items (gold, gear or consumables) and would leave anyone offering crowns for services (skyreach, vet dungeon or trial carries, for example) in the same situation as everybody who is using gifting as an exchange system now.

So unless you have a solution that covers all scenarios, I have actually thought about this more than you.

I think part of the problem is that "We are talking about a gifting system that players are allowed to use as a currency exchange."

ZOS explicitly allows players to use Gifting as a currency exchange. Gifts for Gold, Gold for Gifts.

But ZOS didn't bother, despite feedback asking for it, to create a UI that actually supports the thing they allow players to do. Instead, the lack of UI creates more issues for players AND for ZOS Support.

While ZOS could certainly expand this suggested UI to cover a multitude of circumstances as you suggest, like trading Gifts for Gear, or what not, the root of the matter is that ZOS allows Gifts to be traded, and then failed completely to add a UI that actually supports it, forcing players to rely on middle-men or their own records of deals in the event that Support has to get involved.

I don't know how much work it would take for ZOS to actually implement a proper UI for trading Gifts. But I am of the opinion that since they do allow trading Gifts for in-game items, that they should design a proper UI for it. If you are going to do a thing, you might as well do it right.
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭

Oh really? Then tell us how would ZOS lose in this situation.

Oh really? Then tell us how many times have you traded an in game currency for real money currency? I did once a month for almost four years and never had a problem. Oh and tell us how, in any situation that you stated would be worse for players and bad for ZOS income?

There isn't all scenarios! There is one, gold for crowns, crowns for gold. That is it. One side gold, one side crowns. Gold = Crowns, crowns = gold. One player gives crowns, one player gives gold, both confirm trade after checking if the exchange is correct, and accept or not.

Do you understand now? I dont know any more ways to say in english that is gold for crowns.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We suggested this on the PTS before Gifting was implemented. For whatever reason, ZOS chose not to despite later clarifying that trading Crown Gifts for Gold is allowed.

I do hope they reconsider and create a proper trading Gifts for Gold UI.

Knowing them they'll save that for a major chapter dlc to hook players back in.
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar to how they should have a global auction house to minimize the need for players to run all over to find what they want from a trader, there should be a global gift request board that includes trading crowns for gold. Something that ZOS oversees and keeps things in the level. Because when these sorts of things are left up to the players, trouble is always bound to happen.
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect World (chinese f2p MMO) has no issues with self-maintained "cash shop money <> gold" exchange. Wonder why a b2p game with sub option can't have this?
    Edited by Nisekev on February 12, 2019 5:29PM
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, it seems some people cant or refuse to understand this thread. I'll try to explain in a different way, with more examples and details.

Players use the gifting system to exchange gold for crowns and vice versa. Problem is, this system is not ideal for that. Of all the gifts that have been sent, how many do you think were actual gifts? Not many compared to the currency exchanges. You can see that in game, people flooding zone and guild chats trying to sell or buy crowns.

Now, since the gifting system is not designed for that, people often get scammed and complain to support. Third parties also put their noses in to get a cut.

The point is, this trade is something that players do, want to do and many need to do. The request is a system where you put gold in one side and crowns in the other, where both seller and buyer can see and accept or not the trade.

These kinds of deals are very popular not only in this game, a specific system is needed.

I'm not talking about carries for crown or items, it is gold for crowns. If some people want to use the gold crown trade system for other uses, like we do with gifts, they would have to take the risk just like we do now for using an improper system.

Again, it is gold for crowns and vice versa. This is a common practice in mmorpgs and we need this.

People would get scammed with this system by using it for another purposes?
    Yes, they would! But please understand that cowns for gold is something that happens a lot, everyday and I'm sure every one of you know someone who got Crowns using gold.
    Edited by BrokenString on February 12, 2019 5:54PM
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    We all know that a lot of people get scammed and the support have to deal with it. I always bought crowns with gold from a friend because he has a surplus and I would never buy from someone else.

I sugest that zos implement a way to trade crowns in the trade window, like when you sell/buy an item with gold, where both parties can see the currency and confirm the exchange. That would make the trade safe. Also one less thing that ZOS would have to deal with.

RIght, it's common sense to include those safe trade options but they didn't because someone from ZOS is behind this and pulling strings while making profit to himself and he/she's minions that helped to achieve this move.

It's most possible highest chance of being accurate answer from this situation.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    What is the exchange rate on crowns to gold anyway?

I've seen 150 x 1 to 200 x 1. Some people may ask a bit more, some a bit less. Last time I bought at 150 x 1 since the seller is a good friend of mine.

lol whisper me the @name of that guy i want to buy some too, usually prices range around 300-400 gold per crown.
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »

I've seen 150 x 1 to 200 x 1. Some people may ask a bit more, some a bit less. Last time I bought at 150 x 1 since the seller is a good friend of mine.

lol whisper me the @name of that guy i want to buy some too, usually prices range around 300-400 gold per crown.

Sorry man, my friend sells to me for that price because well, he is my friend. The around 200 I've seen in guild chats in the US server. Usualy they lower prices for guild mates, I think they would ask more of strangers.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »

Sorry man, my friend sells to me for that price because well, he is my friend. The around 200 I've seen in guild chats in the US server. Usualy they lower prices for guild mates, I think they would ask more of strangers.

just kidding man ;) im just saying when someone is selling at the rate 200:1 in zone chat and large guilds its usually scam.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on February 12, 2019 6:15PM
  • Billdor
    Billdor
    ✭✭✭✭
    No thank you. As I said in the past, selling crowns (which I do alot) is a trust agreement. If ZoS was to implement an ESO token, like a WoW token, the markets would crash completly. I think if you want to have that in-game to monatary trade you NEED TO trust the person at the other end.
  • Oberstein
    Oberstein
    ✭✭✭
    Billdor wrote: »
    No thank you. As I said in the past, selling crowns (which I do alot) is a trust agreement. If ZoS was to implement an ESO token, like a WoW token, the markets would crash completly. I think if you want to have that in-game to monatary trade you NEED TO trust the person at the other end.

You don't need that much trust if they just added same mechanic like trade. But it must be profitable business if crown seller is not advocating this kind of trade mechanic, and they dictate price of gold per crown price ratio with their trust.
    Main example here is Tamriel Crown Exchange with 400 gold per 1 crown.
    Even there's discounted crown sale is happening they stayed with their price.
    History, like a human being, is thirsty when it wakes from its slumber…History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood. And even if history has tired of drinking blood, that’s only in regards to the amount. But what about quality? The larger the sacrifice is, the more delighted the cruel gods will be.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh really? Then tell us how many times have you traded an in game currency for real money currency? I did once a month for almost four years and never had a problem. Oh and tell us how, in any situation that you stated would be worse for players and bad for ZOS income?

There isn't all scenarios! There is one, gold for crowns, crowns for gold. That is it. One side gold, one side crowns. Gold = Crowns, crowns = gold. One player gives crowns, one player gives gold, both confirm trade after checking if the exchange is correct, and accept or not.

Do you understand now? I dont know any more ways to say in english that is gold for crowns.

And what I'm saying is that "gold for crowns and crowns for gold" is not the only exchange that can happen if gifting is available.

For example, say I want the skin from vMoL and I offer a vet Trials group an amount of crowns in exchange for a carry.

Is that different from wanting to trade gold for crowns? How would you protect the parties (both me and the guild in question) in this transaction, since you can't plop an achievement into a trade window?

And no, I have never traded crowns for anything. I'm perfectly capable of getting gold myself, and I only use the gifting system to actually gift stuff to friends.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Billdor
    Billdor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »
    Billdor wrote: »

You don't need that much trust if they just added same mechanic like trade. But it must be profitable business if crown seller is not advocating this kind of trade mechanic, and they dictate price of gold per crown price ratio with their trust.
    Main example here is Tamriel Crown Exchange with 400 gold per 1 crown.
    Even there's discounted crown sale is happening they stayed with their price.

I don't think "adding a mechanic" is the way forward, you completly missed the point. Also sidenote **** the TCE.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And what I'm saying is that "gold for crowns and crowns for gold" is not the only exchange that can happen if gifting is available.

For example, say I want the skin from vMoL and I offer a vet Trials group an amount of crowns in exchange for a carry.

Is that different from wanting to trade gold for crowns? How would you protect the parties (both me and the guild in question) in this transaction, since you can't plop an achievement into a trade window?

And no, I have never traded crowns for anything. I'm perfectly capable of getting gold myself, and I only use the gifting system to actually gift stuff to friends.

I guess my problem with your example is that you are letting the desire for perfection get in the way of what would be good.

No, a UI that simplifies the allowable trading Gifts for Gold wouldn't be perfect or cover every conceivable situation. But it would certainly be better than the current situation where we either trade/gift blindly or use middle-men to trade/gift blindly.

So I'd be pleased if ZOS came up with a more expansive UI to cover your situation. Perhaps a trader agreement, where you use in game text to describe the deal, similar to how ZOS Support actually does track down Gift scams using the in-game chat.

But if they don't, well, the fact that it isn't perfect shouldn't hold them back from making much needed fixes to the Crown Gifting/Trading situation (that they created in the first place.)
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. So rude, and the people who agree with you. What is wrong with you people? Why are you agreeing with someone who is rude? @BrokenString doesn't take their own thinking. @BrokenString is the one who should thing before speaking.

The point of @AlnilamE was that people shouldn't be using a feature for giving others something they don't have to pay for instead of using it as a trade feature. In other words don't use gifting for trading since that is not the purpose of gifting.

So who is the one who should really be thinking before speaking?
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • SiAScORCH
    SiAScORCH
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    SiAScORCH wrote: »
    Well to be fair they have TCE that handles buying and selling crowns and have never had any issues. The real fact is that people are trying to buy cheap and end up getting scammed. I often sell crowns on PC NA, but I normally do it for guild mates.

There are many reasons not to like TCE.

1) they are a third party. Zos should have a solution for this, no need for a third party

2) requires discord use. Some people like it, some people don’t.

3) prevents buyers and sellers from negotiating their own terms.

4) my biggest gripe: they take a 10%. They say that you can become verified after a certain volume, but they stonewalled me. They just want to suck you in. They want their cut no matter what.

For all of these reasons, I just sell to my regular customers now when I have extra.

I never said it was ideal. But you don't have to worry about being scammed. The middle person is there to make sure the seller and buyer are on the same page. You pay for guarantees you know?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    Well to be fair they have TCE that handles buying and selling crowns and have never had any issues. The real fact is that people are trying to buy cheap and end up getting scammed. I often sell crowns on PC NA, but I normally do it for guild mates.

There are many reasons not to like TCE.

1) they are a third party. Zos should have a solution for this, no need for a third party

2) requires discord use. Some people like it, some people don’t.

3) prevents buyers and sellers from negotiating their own terms.

4) my biggest gripe: they take a 10%. They say that you can become verified after a certain volume, but they stonewalled me. They just want to suck you in. They want their cut no matter what.

For all of these reasons, I just sell to my regular customers now when I have extra.

I never said it was ideal. But you don't have to worry about being scammed. The middle person is there to make sure the seller and buyer are on the same page. You pay for guarantees you know?

You don't see a problem with players effectively having to "pay for guarantees" to middlemen because ZOS didn't bother to design a proper UI, similar to the trade window we already have?

With regular in game trades, scams do happen. But most players are able to trade without middle-men taking a cut or paying for guarantees.

I think these middlemen are a necessary evil. Necessary because of ZOS' failure to design an appropriate UI once they decided that trading would be allowed, but still not a good thing for players and a worse option than a proper trading UI.
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »

Wow. So rude, and the people who agree with you. What is wrong with you people? Why are you agreeing with someone who is rude? @BrokenString doesn't take their own thinking. @BrokenString is the one who should thing before speaking.

The point of @AlnilamE was that people shouldn't be using a feature for giving others something they don't have to pay for instead of using it as a trade feature. In other words don't use gifting for trading since that is not the purpose of gifting.

So who is the one who should really be thinking before speaking?

He came to the thread and trolled, added nothing useful and gave no ideas with that post. Stop encouraging this kind of comments @Davor.
    Edited by BrokenString on February 13, 2019 1:09AM
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about carries for crown or items, it is gold for crowns. If some people want to use the gold crown trade system for other uses, like we do with gifts, they would have to take the risk just like we do now for using an improper system.

Again, it is gold for crowns and vice versa. This is a common practice in mmorpgs and we need this.

People would get scammed with this system by using it for another purposes?
    Yes, they would! But please understand that cowns for gold is something that happens a lot, everyday and I'm sure every one of you know someone who got Crowns using gold.

@AlnilamE
    Edited by BrokenString on February 13, 2019 1:21AM
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why we can't simply sell Crowns, but instead must gift items. It'd be far more convenient if we could simply send/give actual Crowns themselves like gold (via mail with or without COD, trade window, etc). If people are found to be exchanging real money in any way, ban them.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    They should have just went the WoW way of letting people buy ESO tokens for 20$ each and selling them in game for gold, either use for a month sub without the 1500 crowns or 1500 crowns

Or just go gw2 path gold to crowns and crowns to gold

This.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 13, 2019 6:40AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why we can't simply sell Crowns, but instead must gift items. It'd be far more convenient if we could simply send/give actual Crowns themselves like gold (via mail with or without COD, trade window, etc). If people are found to be exchanging real money in any way, ban them.

I assume it has to do with ZOS' control of crown store pricing and Crown packs. Generally, crown store prices are set at certain intervals based on crown pack prices/amounts and ZOS' data on how many crowns players have.

So if we could simply trade crowns for gold, and I want a motif that costs 5k crowns while I have 3.5k crowns, I only have to trade for 1.5k crowns. Under the current system, I have to trade for the Motif, worth 5k crowns no matter if I have 3.k crowns or 4.99k crowns.

In that case, player convenience does take a back seat to ZOS' profit.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank god for Tamriel Crown Exchange Discord.
    The wonderful people from TTG (PCEU) moderate all the transactions for a carefree experience.

Usually people that get scammed try to save some gold by being cheap, although there have been instances where players charge the normal fee and still don't deliver.

Having such a moderator guild is a blessing.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<