Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Snares are still way too prevalent

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I want to see less snares, I’m curious how much of this is really because the game engine can’t handle the fast-paced combat (see: Swift stacking before the nerf and gap closer connects).

Gap closers got a specific snare that was reduced both in duration and effectiveness only when they were also adjusted for their damage, and the reason for the snare was specifically that otherwise the skill doesn’t connect as reliably. Still these snares are here though, although less people use gap closers these days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some skills had snares attached so they actually hit something a bit easier. If so, this might be hard to change. Some dev insight on the design goal of snares and the capability of the combat engine would be appreciated.
    Edited by Feanor on January 25, 2019 1:19PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let Ritual of Retribution (RoR) become Ritual of Remove Roots (RoRR)!
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crixus8000 wrote: »

Seriously though, I would love it if we could get a week with no snares (suppressed by battle spirit) in PvP content just to see what it looks like.

Heaven o:)

lol wat... I don't remember saying this. :/

For the record I believe a game without snares would be even worse than what we have now. Snares & move speed need to be rebalanced. Snares are having a negative impact on gameplay atm, but they are still needed, as it allows players to make contact with melee skills or control a fight. It just needs to be balanced so that the prerequisite for being snared isn't simply queuing into cyrodiil.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    simeion wrote: »
    Vapirko wrote: »
    ]

Im just gonna go ahead and counter some of this. Yes the speed pot meta was out of control, no one is saying that it didn't need to be balanced and on one wants it back? When we say mobility needs to be looked at that primarily means snares right now. Next, FM is still very helpful however shuffle is not. Two seconds is so bad and shuffle is so expensive for what it provides that using mistform on a medium armor build is almost better (almost), and some good players do use it. Quick cloak is also a very viable option in place of shuffle because shuffle is trash right now. So we are not "covered." 4 seconds of immunity would not make shuffle OP, it would actually work to balance the still prevalent heavy armor meta. Having the AoE damage reduction is in a good spot neither OP or under performing and it has no bearing on any single target damage so it's very situationally useful. For magic toons you can't just go attaching snare immunity to class skills. If there is going to be snare immunity it needs to require an extra slot just like stam toons i.e. mistform but it shouldn't be attached to vampire either. DK wings is fine as is. NBs DO NOT need cloak to remove snares (mostly because of stamblades), the warden suggestion could work out.

The ideas I gave are suggestions to get players thinking of options. It is worthless to complain about snares without having a meaningful conversation about them. Nothing wrong with having snares, long a everyone has the option to equip cleanses for snares.

I agree NB cloak cleanse would strong. I am all ears to a better suggestion.

Mistform is way to strong in it current form. My suggestion would put the snare and speed on 1 morph and the damage reduction on the other morph.

AoE damage reduction is a strong mechanic. ZOS has even talked about reducing it themselves to 15%. I am just worried about 1 skill getting to strong. I agree shuffle needs a snare immunity buff.

I just want a conversation that give ideas and if someone does not like them give a counter idea.

Mist form is *** lmao. Can't cast anything. Locks your mag regen and healing. Slower than running even with the snare stopping. Like seriously any other combo of movement stuff is better for avoiding damage than standing there like a 75% damage less spud being slowly whittled away and not healing.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a friendly reminder to keep the thread on-topic, constructive and civil. While we completely understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts, feelings and even frustrations, we want the forums to be a civil and constructive platform for the game and it's community as a whole.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • simeion
    simeion
    ✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Mist form is *** lmao. Can't cast anything. Locks your mag regen and healing. Slower than running even with the snare stopping. Like seriously any other combo of movement stuff is better for avoiding damage than standing there like a 75% damage less spud being slowly whittled away and not healing.

You dont have to agree with my assessment. I have just seen to many players carried by this skill. With a rework of the skill you can restore some of those negative effects of it current form. Once again it is about having a meaningful conversation. As in one of my previous post I have other ideas about how to remove snares. Players who choose to play magic should not be relying on one skill to cleanse snares.
  • Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roots are bigger issue imo, they need a real cooldown like stuns.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the record I believe a game without snares would be even worse than what we have now. Snares & move speed need to be rebalanced. Snares are having a negative impact on gameplay atm, but they are still needed, as it allows players to make contact with melee skills or control a fight. It just needs to be balanced so that the prerequisite for being snared isn't simply queuing into cyrodiil.

I agree to an extent. I don't think snares should be 100% removed. I think the main problem comes from simply how many regular spammable abilities snare. It doesn't fit with the balance change reasons ZOS gave when they nerfed abilities such as Crystal Fragments by removing it's stun. Snares are just thrown on as additional effects on so many abiltiies you don't have to think about putting one on your bar deliberately because 99% of the time you'll just end up with 1 or 2 anyway.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This point is still valid. Just to let you know.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want this thread to fade I've got hoped for the next PTS patch notes but I doubt anything will get fixed.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP at the moment, every fight feels like the "Planar Inhibitor" blue phase, you try to run, you try to roll, you are moving one inch and are still in the enemies reach and have done nothing except burn stamina, you fall and die as in the death screen you see 2 of his friends pop another Ice ultimate.
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably best to take both mechanics out and rework them entirely.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    I'm not on the PTS, but this is a constant problem in Both PvP and PvE.

Funny thing is, when you get 2 ball groups going at each other, with rapids going, fights are an absolute blast. Fluid, and fun! Wave goodbye to that when Elseweyr hits.

Exactly! Now imagine if all fights were like that not just big groups that can afford to spam rapids.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Vapirko

Well Rapids has lost the snare immunity now too, so at least big groups are on par with Solo and Small groups when we are all running around perma-snared at 1 mph.
  • Lutallo
    Lutallo
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka builds are literally unplayable in open world due to the snares. How can you avoid the 30 man rolling ball group when you're being spammed with 80% movement speed reduction?
    "Rock is too OP, please nerf"
    Sincerely, Scissors.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't mind being slowed down much. It's when Im completely immobilized or feared that I get angry, especially when I can tell that if I'm allowed to move I will win the fight. It sucks to know that the only reason I lost was that I couldn't break free from all the CCs.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another patch on the PTS and they are still, way too prevalent
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mashille wrote: »
    Another patch on the PTS and they are still, way too prevalent

Yep. Starting to believe they will not fix this any time soon so unfortunately get ready to build more tanks and be stuck in clunky slow fights.

At least most of the other patch notes look pretty decent even if some things are still broken they look a lot better than many previous patches.
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello there Mr. Frost Blockade. I'm melee so guess you win, GG o/
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing new on this either common ZOS at least let us know if you are working on it:(
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... Another set of patch notes and still nothing on snares.

I can kinda understand that they want to do a major balance patch with Eleswyr but that means waiting 3 more months until actually being able to run around in Cyrodiil
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did dragonknight say when he petrified you? "Double cc!"
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm snared constantly in just about any BG. And by constantly, I mean, quite literally the entire time I'm fighting more than one person, I can expect to be permanently snared. It's just not fun to play like this at all. If you're not snared, you're stunned, and if you're not stunned, you're snared again. It's just chain cc over and over and over and over again. Fix your broken gameplay IMO.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer