Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Extremely mad at this game

seipher09
seipher09
✭✭✭✭
I am a huge pve player. Love the story and the classes and feel of the game. Recently decided I really want a shield that's only achievable from battlegrounds.

I said what the heck let's try it. First few matches went pretty bad, once I learned the exact goals and maps the games got really bad. Once I got a real feel for it it became the most annoying thing I've ever done in any of the 10ish mmos I've really invested time into.

As a huge pve player I always thought people on the forums just liked to whine about PvP. But after doing it I truly realized this games balance and PvP is just pure awful!!

Between the constant constant stuns hitting me breaking free became useless as the stamina cost hurts to bad so when I get stunned by certain hits it's useless to try without multiple teammates directly near you fighting. The aoes are just all over like crazy, certain nightblade builds are just insanely stupid making it impossible to even attempt to fight back.

Wow this game has great pve but zos...Just delete PvP you failed so hard at it in nearly every single balance aspect. Please play your game and see how broken it is.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I'm not going to claim that PVP in ESO doesn't have a steep learning curve. It totally does.

But if your first experience in PVP is No CP Battlegrounds...

I'm not surprised it went poorly. The learning curve is quite steep. Its not easy to jump in straight from PVP. And No-CP Battlegrounds is probably the hardest transition a PVE only player could face.

For those of us who stuck it out and learned to PVP (I learned in Cyrodiil and many thanks to the PVP guild that picked up PUGling me and trained me), BGs can be pretty fun. They've got their balance issues, sure, but nothing so bad that they should be deleted. Certainly not based on someone's first exposure to a PVP mode.

If you want to try it out again, look into a cheap Battlegrounds build. This will have impen trait armor to help with crits and more sustain to help with the lack of CP. You'll still die a lot, because we all die a lot, even experienced PVPers and especially inexperienced ones. Its just how PVP is. If you stick with it, you will learn to recognize and counter the enemy.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 12, 2019 3:30AM
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amazing isnt. How about being permanently slowed, fun gameplay right? Very rewarding.

Hop into vivec and give that a try for a bit. Better yet, go at it solo or with 1-2 friends.. Try at prime time, and god help you if you are on console. Thats where the failure truly shines. Dealing with the god awful performance plus the balance issues. I suppose the balance shows more in BGs because many people go against pre made 4 man groups, and it sounds like that might have been part of your problem.

Plus the meta is pretty gross and most people stick to it in bgs. Aoes, steel tornado, procs, werewolves, bleeds.. Combine a pre made group with meta builds then ya it can be tough, especially for beginners.
  • IINordoxII
    IINordoxII
    ✭✭
    If all you want is the shield afaik all pvp set gear is BoE so it's obtainable from guild traders.

Second, sorry you had a bad experience in pvp. I've been there and I feel you, but in my experience that's just pvp in every game. It can be fun and it can be frustrating as hell.

That being said, you can't realistically come from a pve mindset/ background, jump straight into pvp and expect it to be anything similar to what you're used to. The playstyles, gear/stats and skillset needed for each are completely different. It'll take a little time and research on builds and strats and finding out which gear will work for your pvp build and which won't. More than that it takes a lot of practice and you're going up against people who have been pvping in some cases since not only this game came out, but probably in many previous games with pvp.

I know all that is not what you want to hear probably, and I'm not trying to criticize, but just trying to give you a little perspective. PVP can be very frustraing, yes, but it can also be very fun and rewarding the better you get at it. Like anything worth doing in life it just takes practice, experience and knowledge to do well in. If you want to PVP more I hope you'll keep at it and if not, maybe it's just not for you. There's nothing wrong with just doing PVE. If all you really want is a pvp set shield just check the guild traders.

Good luck, have fun and take care!

EDIT: It just occurred to me perhaps you meant a shield style rather than set piece such as Battlefield Acrobat? In that case I honestly don't know if those are tradeable or not. Sorry.
    Edited by IINordoxII on February 12, 2019 3:30AM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    seipher09 wrote: »
    I am a huge pve player. Love the story and the classes and feel of the game. Recently decided I really want a shield that's only achievable from battlegrounds.

I said what the heck let's try it. First few matches went pretty bad, once I learned the exact goals and maps the games got really bad. Once I got a real feel for it it became the most annoying thing I've ever done in any of the 10ish mmos I've really invested time into.

As a huge pve player I always thought people on the forums just liked to whine about PvP. But after doing it I truly realized this games balance and PvP is just pure awful!!

Between the constant constant stuns hitting me breaking free became useless as the stamina cost hurts to bad so when I get stunned by certain hits it's useless to try without multiple teammates directly near you fighting. The aoes are just all over like crazy, certain nightblade builds are just insanely stupid making it impossible to even attempt to fight back.

Wow this game has great pve but zos...Just delete PvP you failed so hard at it in nearly every single balance aspect. Please play your game and see how broken it is.

You know you can by BG weapons including shields with AP at any alliance vendor right?

Got the 2 impreg staffs I needed in the first 10 boxes
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you OP that the stuns & roots in PVP need to be dialed back... it's no fun not being able to move whilst having totally depleted stamina. Not saying stuns & roots should be removed... just dial back the % of snares & the time of stuns & make the break free time consistent.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time.. but the PVP in ESO is actually great fun for a lot of players! Cyrodiil is teeming with players every single day!

I assume the OP is talking about getting a BG specific shield motif rather than an actual set shield.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvE player goes into PvP and cant stomp so comes to forums to cry..

That's it folks, wrap it up.
  • sigsergv
    sigsergv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Battlegrounds are just fine comparing with AvA PvP in Cyrodiil. Battles are short and rewarding, it's the best place to learn PvP mechanics. You need to invest a lot, learn other skills.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most the complaints I see on the forum remind me of a story someone told me when I was in school. This person worked for a tech company and a client called in and said their printer was broken.. they cried and cried about how they needed it fixed now. Well the tech company sent out someone to fix the problem. The person drove 90 min to fix the printer. Guess what? The printer was not broken, it was out of paper. :)

So many complaints about nothing. PvP is fine, nothing is really OP. I really think it takes a special type of person to handle the pressure of playing pvp. Somethings may need tweaked a little but nothing to cry about except for lag and population balance.

I play BG very aggressively. You have around 15 min to totally destroy the enemy. I'm not a very strong player, but I put a lot of pressure on the enemy while my team kills them. :) Organized groups are a pain but I don't run into them every single match.

Edited by vamp_emily on February 12, 2019 4:09PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    Almost everything has a counter, it is more about knowing your enemies and it takes a lot of time and patience to git gud.
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    Premades and BG should not be a thing... Rejections should not be allowed... PERIOD, you get the hand your are dealt and make it work.
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »

PvE player goes into PvP and cant stomp so comes to forums to cry..

That's it folks, wrap it up.

Yeah. Just jump to BGs thinking it will be dead easy as PVE. Then "delete" pvp cuz you died lol.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was rly bad when i started out in pvp nowadays i can reach 20+ elims with like 1-5 deaths. back then the score was the other way around like 20 deaths and 1-5 elims :smile: . i advice u watching some yt videos and look how ppl do it in their games. some people work rly hard and adapted their builds perfectly so its like playing piano for them they instinctively do the right thing in every moment.
    your expecting to defeat people who rly put alot effort into getting that effective. there is no game breaking balance issues in the game. i personally switch every now and then my sets which i use for pvp there is no go to set and a press x for win button.

again watch youtube videos especially alcast does a good job on displaying different classes and playstyles. in this match he reaches 32 kills lols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wd_PnShGcg
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u didnt even share ur class so i cant give u any specific advice
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ll bet you anything the OP is running a PvE set up with no impen at all.
  • Syy101
    Syy101
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that pvp in this game is not well balanced, but tbh I don’t think you are in a position to even talk about balance now. No offense. I came from pve at first as well and know the pain when learning pvp.

Balance is a thing only when you have fully learned your class, your skills and all necessary pvp knowledge. Everything before this is purely l2p. Since you are from pve, I guess you run into BG with full divine dps set, no impen gears, nothing to protect you or help you sustain. Pve and pvp function differently in this game. You will need different sets, you will need more balanced stat instead of just stacking magicka or stamina like in pve. You need heavy armor at first for better survival. You need impen trait to protect you against enemy crits. Yes the cc spamming is annoying, but when you play against vet players you will find that they can break free easily and wreck you no matter how hard you cc them. There’s much more to learn.

Believe me you are only fighting many new players as well because of the match making system. The system sucks sometimes but it still tries to put players of similar levels together. I can tell the difference when I play my main and my new toon. What you faced are probably potatoes to others.

Again this game is not perfectly balanced, but please learn more before blaming others. BG is already more balanced cuz of no CP and even group. Tell me what’s balance when you see those unkillable 1vX build and large zergs in Cyrodill.

After you know more about pvp and get the hands of it, you may begin to love it like I do. I am mostly a pve solo player, but that doesn’t stop me from getting merciless title and emperor. It just takes time and effort like everything else.
    Edited by Syy101 on February 12, 2019 5:19AM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u guys are right with impen it is usefull but u can actually go full divine and be good it rly depends on playstyle and how good u are with ur class. ur selling it as the holy grail of pvp :smile: . how much is 255 crit resistance in % anyway ?
    many people also use well fitted or infused combined witht impen. rly up to u?
    Edited by Noctus on February 12, 2019 5:40AM
  • BrokenString
    BrokenString
    ✭✭✭
    At this point impen is a must for almost any pvp build. I run 8 pieces with it and it works fine. I remember when I started pvp and was being one shoted with criticals left and right by archers. I say again, its about knowing your enemies, if youre getting killed because of slows, use a skill to counter that, if cloaked characters are sneaking up on you, there's a counter for that too. Real experience is everything.

Play, lose, learn, adapt.

Edit: today I fought a Warlord guy in a bg with the same class, same race and same monster set because of helmet appearence, I'm Captain. Boy did he mop the floor with my face
    Edited by BrokenString on February 12, 2019 5:43AM
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I'm not gonna give you any sympathy as a pure pve player going into pvp, and battlegrounds at that.

At least in cyrodiil, you can zerg surf and choose cp or non cp.

But if you expect to go into battlegrounds with no pvp experience and wearing pve gear, you're gonna have a rough time.

Veterans love to pick on easy prey and I'm guessing you had no means to combat the ccs and snares and I bet you werent running proper pots either
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm great at PvE but I can't win at PvP, PvP is broken."

I'm not making fun of you but that's basically your logic here. Most everyone knows the two game modes are very separate and if you want to succeed at both, require you to invest in making a separate build solely for PvP. You need to invest in Crit Resist, raise your Stam recovery so you can dodge and break free, or use immovable potions to become immune. I myself have gone only halfway as a Stamina Nightblade dps in PvE is a glass cannon in PvP. I'm able to give hits but I cannot survive them either but thats fine enough.

Since fighting players is too different than fighting an NPC there never will be actual balance between the two. Why do you think Battle Spirit exists where we're given 5,000 more health but shields and healing is reduced 50%? In PvE mobs don't hit us as hard and fast as a player and our healing is too strong. If that carried over into PvP no one would win a fight cause we'd heal through everything unless you specialized in ganking, which is already the case a lot of the time but would be way worse without those changes.

If you can't somehow find a way to make your character work in PvP but you still want that shield style then all you can do is try and let the three others you're grouped with do most the heavy lifting, maybe submit yourself as the bait/decoy.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frack, just buy it at a guild store, which one you looking for, ill send one as soon as i get.
    Where you play, post your deets here, ill it give to you absolutely free.
    I was like you, once, pvp target dummy, but i grit my teeth and stick with it.
    Now i'm pretty compedent i can make my group 2nd place with a premade group in match.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on pvp here. Why? Well I think it could be fun, but after watching a couple of streamers and seeing how much time and thought they put into making builds, the fact that one of those guys can melt me in half a second, that they actually can group so they can melt me 4 times faster, the non responsiveness of my skills (maybe because of my 250 ms lag) ... All this it's just too much. I'm obviously not blaming those guys... Go ahead and have fun, really. But I will never going to be competitive enough with the little time I'm willing to spend on preparing builds and learning.
    Edited by Loves_guars on February 12, 2019 9:02AM
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp is not broken, what is broken is the performance, the queues, the lag and the bugs.

But ZOS don't care or it takes them a long time to fix always something.

What is bothering a me a lot are the loading screens. They are incredible long when I log or I go inside some place or out.
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound like l2p issue.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expect even more CC next patch....
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MattT1988 wrote: »

Yeah, PvE players forget that PvP players will do anything in their power to kill the opponent, that includes adapting the playstyle 100% for PvP.

Honestly a good PvP player will adapt to any kind of content in the game with ease (even the hardest PvE content), but a good PvE player will always have troubles adapting to PvP... That's because there's no established meta for PvP, there's no BiS sets, there's no rotation to follow, you just use whatever works for you.

Also you are not playing against an IA that at the end of the day is programmed to lose if you play the right sequence. You are playing against other people who wants to win as much as you do or even more than you.

You need to outsmart your opponents, confuse them, take advantage of their mistakes and use the small windows to burst them down, that's the core of PvP.

What I like about the PvP of this game is that there's no limit for how good someone could be. Just when you think you are finally good, you find someone with the weirdest build who destroy you in seconds.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't be afraid to die, that's part of the game. You learn with each death.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like how guild wars 1 had a random arena and then a team arena to seperate PUGs from PreMades.
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like YET another 100% L2P issue please stop making post when you just need to L2P
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »
    MattT1988 wrote: »

Yeah, PvE players forget that PvP players will do anything in their power to kill the opponent, that includes adapting the playstyle 100% for PvP.

Honestly a good PvP player will adapt to any kind of content in the game with ease (even the hardest PvE content), but a good PvE player will always have troubles adapting to PvP... That's because there's no established meta for PvP, there's no BiS sets, there's no rotation to follow, you just use whatever works for you.

Also you are not playing against an IA that at the end of the day is programmed to lose if you play the right sequence. You are playing against other people who wants to win as much as you do or even more than you.

You need to outsmart your opponents, confuse them, take advantage of their mistakes and use the small windows to burst them down, that's the core of PvP.

What I like about the PvP of this game is that there's no limit for how good someone could be. Just when you think you are finally good, you find someone with the weirdest build who destroy you in seconds.

Your right when you say that fighting in PVP is harder then PVE "easy mode" but you are 100% in the wrong talking about there is no meta and no bis in PVP especially when it comes to BGs since BGs is the easiest part of this game it's full on meta and bis gear since that's all it is. The best cheese gear in the game runs BGs since you don't have to worry about CP you can just go with a fill cheese setup and let your gear carry you to victory in BGs.