Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Returned newbie, build mechanics question.

lukoi
lukoi
✭✭✭
I understand that one can earn up to 416 skill points between all of the skyshards and leveling etc.

I've been trying to learn/dissect some of the game via the various builds online out there (Alcast's for example), and I'm not understanding the number of spent skill points vice the total available. Seems like you'd have more than you'd ever need unless you got really off the rails, or tried to cram all the crafting masteries on top of a combat/pvp/raid oriented build.

I ask, because I don't want to "gimp" the character if I spend a few points on some skills specifically to level up a line, but don't see those skills being the skills on my hotbar at end game for raiding or pvp. Am I off base here and the skillpoints are actually really tight? I might be misunderstanding what I'm reading, but most of these builds seem to "need" less than 1/3 of the SP to reach their optimum version at endgame.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct. Most endgame builds are rather specialized into their role, so they use less skill points to fill out their skills and passives.

You can also put skillpoints in to level a skill line and later remove them if they are no longer needed. I've done that with Werewolf and Vampire when I leveled the skill line for the dye, then removed the skill points, and got cured.

The more generalist your build is, the more skill points you'll want. Even then, you can hunt for skyshards/skill points and not feel stifled. My main Vestige is a PVE tank, PVP healer, has multiple weapon, armor, and guild lines unlocked, and is a master crafter - so while I do have all the skyshards and a fair amount of PVP skill points, I've also got extra skill points sitting.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is some awesome news. I've been playing super tight with the points as I leveled up, thinking I needed to hoard them for the key skills in my end build. Nice to know I can actually use some points on interim skills to build up some lines (especially bow) that are languishing.

• lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Also, thanks for the help again VA :)