Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

30 Master Anglers & proof that the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl works!

• General_Zeranth
    General_Zeranth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MyNameIsElias

Firstly you are a fishing god! 30 titles is just wow... I'm following in your footsteps on Xbox One and hope to one day be as awesome at this as you are.

However recently I've noticed a trend with something. When I fish I don't allow myself to filet any of the fish until I am done with that characters title, then I record what I got and how many subsequent P. Roe I get from it.
    I'm currently two fish away from my 7th title and I've begun to notice something confusing to me. Its been taking less and less actual fish to get my titles and my Roe counts are suffering due to this. >-<

Here's the data I've got so far, it's not all my titles just the last 5 cause I only started recording it around then.

9,365 - 107 Perfect Roe (Ma'at the Just)
    ---
    8,541 - 90 Perfect Roe (Imarae Aelsonius)
    ---
    8,478 - 71 Perfect Roe (Master-of-None)
    ---
    8,174 - 73 Perfect Roe (Gabriel Dumont)
    ---
    6,793 - 61 Perfect Roe (Dar'Kazahani Jahan) (This is my most recent one just finished yesterday.)

I know you play the PC version and that it's vastly different but since you know so much about it all I thought I'd ask.

As a side note I fish alone and don't use the Artaeum recipe. If someone fishes with me I abandon the hole and move on, so that's why the diminishing fish counts has me confused. Usually fishing alone would make it take longer right?
    Edited by General_Zeranth on February 3, 2019 10:54AM
    Xbox - NA

Self confessed Master Angler title chaser.

Titles Earned: 10/∞
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MyNameIsElias

Firstly you are a fishing god! 30 titles is just wow... I'm following in your footsteps on Xbox One and hope to one day be as awesome at this as you are.

However recently I've noticed a trend with something. When I fish I don't allow myself to filet any of the fish until I am done with that characters title, then I record what I got and how many subsequent P. Roe I get from it.
    I'm currently two fish away from my 7th title and I've begun to notice something confusing to me. Its been taking less and less actual fish to get my titles and my Roe counts are suffering due to this. >-<

Here's the data I've got so far, it's not all my titles just the last 5 cause I only started recording it around then.

9,365 - 107 Perfect Roe (Ma'at the Just)
    ---
    8,541 - 90 Perfect Roe (Imarae Aelsonius)
    ---
    8,478 - 71 Perfect Roe (Master-of-None)
    ---
    8,174 - 73 Perfect Roe (Gabriel Dumont)
    ---
    6,793 - 61 Perfect Roe (Dar'Kazahani Jahan) (This is my most recent one just finished yesterday.)

I know you play the PC version and that it's vastly different but since you know so much about it all I thought I'd ask.

As a side note I fish alone and don't use the Artaeum recipe. If someone fishes with me I abandon the hole and move on, so that's why the diminishing fish counts has me confused. Usually fishing alone would make it take longer right?

First of, that's so amazing to see another fellow fishing addict! :blush: And you are correct in that fishing alone should make it take longer.

As to your question, i'm not sure. I think the most likely explanation is that rng is being weird.

There is also a theory i've had for two years or so. When Zenimax added Furnishings to the fishing loot-table, i begun noticing that i would catch rare fish faster. This was never confirmed by Zenimax, and i don't have enough data myself to back up that theory.

If you go back to my post and look at the amount of fish caught per character, you can see that after character #12 the total fish caught dips by a lot. My characters from 13-15 were all fishing solo and without the food active just after the patch that introduced the fishing Furnishings.

So all in all, i'm not quite sure. If you got some of the titles before the Homestead patch (Early 2017) then maybe you are also seeing the effect of the furnishings? We might never know :/
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have far to much free time
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think Zeni should give you a unique title across your account(s) for this amazing feat! It really does deserve some serious recognition there! :)

I might have asked this before, but do you also go fishing in real life? I enjoy fishing in game and real life as well. :)
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • TeamSeinfeld
    TeamSeinfeld
    ✭✭✭
    So interesting and so very helpful. I slowly fish an area after I finish the quests and recently started fishing Clockwork City. I understand the whole RNG thing but I literally spent an hour or two daily for about a week with no blue fish. Totally forgot I had the fishing recipe. Within three hours of using it, cleared the zone (caught the other two blue fish four times each before finally getting the wrasse) but finished it. Much respect and gratitude.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    I honestly think Zeni should give you a unique title across your account(s) for this amazing feat! It really does deserve some serious recognition there! :)

I might have asked this before, but do you also go fishing in real life? I enjoy fishing in game and real life as well. :)

Thank you my friend :) As a young boy i would sometimes go fishing irl with my Grandfather at our Summerhome in Finland. But it was never really something for me i felt. I got tired waiting around for something to take the bait, and i also started feeling bad for the fish :joy:

Oh, and i don't like eating fish in real life either, something about the aquatic taste just doesn't sit right with me heh :P
  • Hekaterin
    Hekaterin
    ✭✭✭
    You are the Grand-Master Angler indeed!
    Quite a feat :)
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So interesting and so very helpful. I slowly fish an area after I finish the quests and recently started fishing Clockwork City. I understand the whole RNG thing but I literally spent an hour or two daily for about a week with no blue fish. Totally forgot I had the fishing recipe. Within three hours of using it, cleared the zone (caught the other two blue fish four times each before finally getting the wrasse) but finished it. Much respect and gratitude.

Oh i know the pain of fishing in Clockwork City. It actually holds my own personal record with taking the longest time to complete out of all the zones in the game. One of my characters managed to catch over 2k fish before i got the final Blue fish, the enmegalabzu.

To put that into perspective, that's about a 3rd of the time you would normally spend fishing for the Master Angler achievement :expressionless:
    Edited by MyNameIsElias on February 3, 2019 1:34PM
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is an awesome achievement, albeit one that I would not want to duplicate. Your guides and info will be very helpful to me and many others. Thanks!
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    Wow, that is an awesome achievement, albeit one that I would not want to duplicate. Your guides and info will be very helpful to me and many others. Thanks!

I am happy to hear you enojyed it, you are very nice :)
    Edited by MyNameIsElias on February 3, 2019 1:35PM
  • General_Zeranth
    General_Zeranth
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of, that's so amazing to see another fellow fishing addict! :blush: And you are correct in that fishing alone should make it take longer.

As to your question, i'm not sure. I think the most likely explanation is that rng is being weird.

There is also a theory i've had for two years or so. When Zenimax added Furnishings to the fishing loot-table, i begun noticing that i would catch rare fish faster. This was never confirmed by Zenimax, and i don't have enough data myself to back up that theory.

If you go back to my post and look at the amount of fish caught per character, you can see that after character #12 the total fish caught dips by a lot. My characters from 13-15 were all fishing solo and without the food active just after the patch that introduced the fishing Furnishings.

So all in all, i'm not quite sure. If you got some of the titles before the Homestead patch (Early 2017) then maybe you are also seeing the effect of the furnishings? We might never know :/

^-^ Fishing is a great pass time and the money from the Roe is too good to pass up for how easy it is.

I would initially think that you are right on the RNG being weird but the funny thing is during this whole last run I didn't catch a single furnishing item... I figured that one might be part of the no catch bug and put in a ticket for it but yeah not a single one. >-<

I guess its just RNG being its usual self. Timing myself it even takes less time each time. Down from a month of on and off work to 1-2 weeks usually now if I dedicate myself. xD I think only one of my titles predates the Homestead patch, that being my main/crafter and sadly I didn't think to record what she caught though I know the fish counts were well above 15k fish total caught. *Nods.*

Anyway thanks a bunch for giving me an idea of what this might be! Happy fishing to you in the future Elias! <3
    Xbox - NA

Self confessed Master Angler title chaser.

Titles Earned: 10/∞
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post and I've thought of trying to get this achievement on my main character. With excitement coursing through my veins, I headed to my cooking station to whip up a bunch of Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowls. To my dismay, I only have 4 clam galls. LOL...might back burner this, but thank you for such an informative post (and the maps)! They should totally name a fisherman NPC after you!
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that the food works best with 2 players in the same fishing spot (and other players had tested this to confirm) so never tried the food as I fish alone - it appears that it works solo too which is cool :)
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aimora wrote: »
    I heard that the food works best with 2 players in the same fishing spot (and other players had tested this to confirm) so never tried the food as I fish alone - it appears that it works solo too which is cool :)

Indeed! I did this solo but i think the best way to catch rare fish is to fish with 1 more person and have the food active!
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome, you've inspired me to try for the Master Angler title again. It's been almost five years and I've only completed one zone. And that's a starter zone with only one rare fish :lol:

I'm off to buy some pickled fish!
    PC EU & NA
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post with analysis and lots of data.
    You've inspired me to pick up my rod again..but only on my main character :)
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ragged_Claw @Juju_beans You both humble me!

I'm hoping for the best with your rng :smile:
  • Kr3do
    Kr3do
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, that's some impressive data! :smile:
    Glad i was always supporting you on this journey :blush:
    Are you planning to maybe expand your fishing adventures to the North American server in the future?
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the furnishings back in the loots table yet?

To the OP: Wow GZ!
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, you really are THE true Master Angler! They should give you a unique title for that!

I haven't completed the achievement but with this food available perhaps it's time I do it xD It seems a lot less painful to do now haha. Thank you for the awesome writeup.
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You got Master Angler on 30 alts?!

Yeah, it does deem to work a bit - only problem being that it ties you into having to do 2 hours of solid fishing on that char.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously amazing! ZOS should send you something nice!

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet no. And from what i've been told, it is still unresolved on the public test server. Let's hope zos listens to us and fixes it :smile:
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always appreciate threads like this. I get to Grind Vicariously through others.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet no. And from what i've been told, it is still unresolved on the public test server. Let's hope zos listens to us and fixes it :smile:

I got a giant coral furnishing a few days ago, so maybe it's fixed?

PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which zone was it from? I've heard reports from people that Furnishings drop from fishing in Murkmire
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WOW!!! this is an awesome breakdown!!
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no! Thanks! ❤️
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which zone was it from? I've heard reports from people that Furnishings drop from fishing in Murkmire

I only rarely fish (like when someone wants a partner) and I got a giant coral in Summerset, but it’s not like the others, it’s like the big ones you see in Summerset.
    Edited by IzzyStardust on February 8, 2019 7:49PM
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Gina said it was fixed and would be released with the next DLC, but when I tested it on PTS I got the same problem. I haven't had a chance to try it again on the new PTS patch.

ETA:

Were you in Murkmire by any chance? As far as I know it is the only place where furnishings are still dropping.
    Edited by KMarble on February 8, 2019 10:42PM