Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tank sets...

rptrainer
rptrainer
✭✭
With my past question about tanking, some people recommended alkosh or something like that. I found out that they drop in trials, How can I obtain them if I'm a solo player? Any other sets besides ebon armory that will make me not selfish. Currently: 5 Plague Doctor, 5 Fortified Brass and 2 Morihaus (for Health Bonus)
Side note: I have a gold problem too so I can't buy legendary upgrade mats. Can't run vet dungeons too.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of all why do you need to be a tank and more than that a group supporting tank if you are a solo player?
    This game is different in that tank is not viable in solo experience. As a tank myself I'm speccink to some DPS gear, 2H and Bow when soloing
    Second your gear is absolutely useles for a tank. Your resistances are overcapped and you dont need that much HP in any content besides maybe 2nd boss in vetHOF. So it's not s4elfish, its just a waste of slot. Selfish generally means easy sustain, like Seducer.
    Third Alcosh is really good but only if you have enough synergies, thus running with a group with a dedicated healer. In dungeons with tank+3dd or a random healer that think that heals must literally heal Alcosh is generally useles. If you are running with a random parties pick one of 2: Seducer if you want something selfish or Torug pact if you want to support your party, both are craftable. Ebon is good both for you and your party though.
    And finally it is easy for lone wolf to obtain both ebon and Alcosh if you are positive that you need it. For ebon just pick a PUG party to Crypt of Hearts 1 (on normal if you like). For Alcosh go to Craglorn and there type "tank lfg nMOL" in zone chat or just monitor zone chat for "lf tank for nMOL" messages. If you are in a hurry, you can gather a party yourself by typing "lfm xdd, 2 heals nMOL". nMOL is like normal dungeon now and everyone know what to do there on normal. As for you, watch some video on what should tank in MOL do and you'll be fine
    Rawr
  • rptrainer
    rptrainer
    ✭✭
    Ooohh kay, I'm not provoking anyone here. First of all, I'm not in a hurry. Second, people already said that I have a noob build, i know, who would want me in a group if I'm a noob right. I guess this isn't the place for this. Sorry if I wasted your time.
    Edited by rptrainer on January 24, 2019 6:22AM
  • merrygoround95
    merrygoround95
    Soul Shriven
    Dude, you were literally just told what to do and where to go to get "not noob" gear, nobody attacked you. In a pug group no one cares who has what, you all just faceroll the whole trial on normal and get your gear, everyone is happy
  • rptrainer
    rptrainer
    ✭✭
    I know I'm sorry ok, I'll refrain from ever asking to others. It's a bad idea to ask. Whatever I got is what I get. I'll be silent and quiet.
    Edited by rptrainer on January 24, 2019 9:06AM
  • merrygoround95
    merrygoround95
    Soul Shriven
    what
    you know, whatever floats your boat, mate
    i think i see why you play solo, but if you change your mind, the best place to look for a group is Craglorn
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the first coment gave a good long explanatory answer that took a long time to write, I will add few points. You don't need to have best tank gear for vet dungeons, I have completed vSCP many times on my tank and the only golden thing he has are weapons. Ebon is a great support set, as the first comment said, resistances cap at 33k. So 33k resists and 50k resists, are the same. also remember to have 160 cp equipment since then it is strongest for 160 cp toons.
    Torugs is great for tanks as well for support, gives the "crusher enchantment" ability to lower the resists of the thing you tank by 2700, when used right (craftable so ez to get). If you are inexperienced as a tank I would recommend ebon (dungeon set from crypt of hearts) and plague doc(farmable overland deshaan), or ebon and seducer(craftable)
    If you are using a crafted set don't forget to enchant it, purple enchants are not pricy at all (200g per enchant+-).

Thanks again to the first commentor saved me a lot of typing

Edit: BEWARE, ebon is still bugged on weapons. Use only on body/jewelry.
    Edited by zvavi on January 24, 2019 9:29PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How does powerful assault compare to torugs? I hate the set bonuses on torugs as spell power and extra spell resist is pretty useless.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alkosh is not only obtained through a trial, its mostly used in Trials content. If you aren't running trials yet, you dont need it yet. That's because, as was said above, Alkosh's benefits are better used by an organized group who are good at hitting synergies which is not true of the vast majority of group dungeon PUGs.

To clarify anither point about resistances, those cap around 32-33k physical and spell resistances. Anything above that is wasted in PVE.

When it comes to non- "selfish" sets, these provide support to your group as well as helping your tanking. So a set like Whitestrake's Retribution with its self-targeted damage shield would be "selfish" whereas Brands of Imperium gives damage shields to group members. As mentioned, Torug's+ crusher enchantment creates debuffs on the boss, benefitting the group. You can also be quite flexible in how you provide that support - a set like Akaviri Dragonguard seems selfish until you use it with supporting ultimates like Standard or Warhorn.

Basically until you hit Trials, there's a lot of flexibility in what sets you wear to tank. I've tanked normal dungeons in DD gear and a couple times as healer when the fake tank wasnt taunting, so I wouldnt stress too much in normals.
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    First of all the sets depents on your build.

I usually run these sets. We usually run all 4 man content without a healer.

EBON (Crypt of hearts 1 and 2)
    PLAGUE (overland Deshaan)
    AKAVIRI DRAGON (overland eachmarch)
    ALKOSH (Mol trial)
    WEREWOLF HIDE (overland Glenumbra)
    IMPERIUM (white gold tower)
    LEECHING (imp prison) (havent testet this that much but few builds seems quite interesting)
    TORUGS (craftable)

there might be others but these are the "main" sets I usually run.

On my DK

5x Dragon and 5x Ebon with either Bloodspawn or Chudan monster set

On my Warden

5x ebon and 5x werewolf hide or imperium with either Bloodspawn or Chudan

My templar tank is really in progress and havent yet decided which sets to use.

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stx powerful assault is good enough for 4 dungeon tanking, even very good i would say, but if you plan on trialing where you have 11 more people with you instead of 3... it is outperformed by torugs, especially when u can use torugs to craft light/medium pieces for hands / belt for undaunted passive without losing as much resistances as u lose with head and shoulders l/m
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rptrainer
    also i see no reason for you not to run vet dungeons (the only thing on my tank which is golden is the weapons, and i run vet dlc ones and trials sometimes daily), also remember that you want 33k resistances for max efficiency (50% damage reduction), and that anything above it is literally the same (33k resistances is as good as 100k)
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    @Stx powerful assault is good enough for 4 dungeon tanking, even very good i would say, but if you plan on trialing where you have 11 more people with you instead of 3... it is outperformed by torugs, especially when u can use torugs to craft light/medium pieces for hands / belt for undaunted passive without losing as much resistances as u lose with head and shoulders l/m

I dont plan on running trials often if ever, so that's okay. I was just getting worried because powerful assault weapons are expensive and I have almost completed my set but no one ever mentions it as a set they use for tanking.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rptrainer wrote: »
    With my past question about tanking, some people recommended alkosh or something like that. I found out that they drop in trials, How can I obtain them if I'm a solo player? Any other sets besides ebon armory that will make me not selfish. Currently: 5 Plague Doctor, 5 Fortified Brass and 2 Morihaus (for Health Bonus)
    Side note: I have a gold problem too so I can't buy legendary upgrade mats. Can't run vet dungeons too.

ESO has quite a few gear sets to play around with. Experiment and have fun! When I first started Tanking I had no idea what the heck I was doing and simply converted my Magicka DK into a Tank by equipping it with some Tank sets I had in my Bank. Oh boy was that fun. LOL. I will suggest not worrying about being "Selfish". Run the gear you want and see how it works for you. I've tried many gear sets and continue to do so. Ebon is not one of my favorites nor is Alkosh. I have both sets but they are not fun sets to me.

You won't need to gold out anything on your Tank. Really no need to. Purple is fine unless you really want to get that extra 0.000001 percent. LOL.

There are a lot of good Tank builds posted on the Internet to peruse and try if you like. Check out Mr. Woeler's website. I think it is woeler.eu . He has been Tanking in ESO for a very long time quite successfully.

As for not being able to do Vet dungeons is it due to your CP level? Or you just don't want to try Vet? Normal dungeons for the most part are super easy even the DLC dungeons but Vet changes the playing field quite a bit. I highly suggest you try an entry level dungeon in Vet to get a feel for the harder content. Perhaps Banished Cells 1, Wayrest Sewers 1 or Darkshade Caverns I? All pretty easy even in Vet but tougher than Normal.

Once you run some Vet content you will get a feel for what's in store for your Tank for dungeons like Vet Bloodroot Forge, March of Sacrifices and other DLC dungeons.Then you can adjust your gear and Abilities as you deem fit.

Most of all in ESO is to have fun and enjoy this game. Welcome to Tanking!
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanking is really fun! I hope you have a good time with it! Woeler has a great welcome to tanking guide of course here.

My go to's depending on content are:

Monsters (from easiest to hardest)(bolded are my main stays)
    • Blood Spawn
    • Choke Thorn/Sentinel of Rkugamz (kinda like baby earth gore)
    • Bone Pirate (sometimes, kinda meh now)
    • Lord Warden
    • Chudan (very greedy and for particular situations)
    • Earth Gore
    • Thurvokun (for non-DK trash pulls)

Crafted Sets
    • Seducers
    • Torgus Pact
    • (I find Fort Brass to greedy, and with current CP its kinda not needed, but if you are new and still learning sustain/when to block and when to heavy, go for it)
    • Hist Bark (sorta)
    • Alessias Bulkwark (sorta)
    • Naga Shaman (for non-DK with shields, IE: Sorc)

Potentates can be interesting if you need an ulti set. Otherwise Akaviri Dragonguard + Whatever is really just a solid combo for most, if not all content.
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Dadazi
    Dadazi
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

I must say I find tanking in ESO the most fun I've ever had in any MMORPG. The combat style and the variety of gear can give you a sense of involvement. So, I feel like I am participating to the battle, not just silly standing there in front of my team and taking the hits.

After trying out lots of combinations I have come to these sets I am using in Vet PvE and in the Normal trials.

PvE
    Valkyn Skoria | Sellistrix
    Embershield Set (Hands, Legs, Chest, Belt, Feet)
    Livewire Set (Neck, Rings, Lightning Staff, Sword, Shield)

What makes this combination so fun for me is that I do some damage so, again, I fell I am actively taking part at the battle. Sellistrix's effect (the stun - oh boy, how I love it) triggers whenever any kind of damage is dealt. The Embershield and the Livewire sets do damage almost all the time so Sellistrix is active all the time due to the DoT from Embershield (once started it lasts 6 seconds) and the Livewire 8 second Concussion damage.

Trials
    Bloodspawn
    Torug's Pact (Weapon, Shield, Legs, Chest, Feet)
    Ebon Armory (Hands, Belt, Neck, Rings)

So far I didn't experience any troubles in any Vet Dungeon, the only downfall of a run being the unprepared players.
    Edited by Dadazi on July 1, 2019 2:49PM
    "A Templar Knight is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armour of faith, just as his body is protected by the armour of steel. He is thus doubly armed, and need fear neither demons nor men."