The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone break down the different types of damage?

Stx
Stx
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm really confused at the moment with how many classifications there are for attacks and spells in eso.

So you have direct attacks, damage over time attacks, damage over time debuffs, melee attacks, physical attacks, weapon attacks.... and it seems like most abilities can be more than one type at the same time.

I just learned that caltrops doesn't proc enchants because apparently the game considers it a dot. So why does endless hail proc enchants? It's the same damn thing. You target the ground and damage over time happens. Same with wall of elements.

If anyone can refer me to a site that has a clear list of all the different types, and what attacks are which, that would be really helpful.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caltrops dont proc enchantment because it is not a weapon skill. throwing caltrops on the floor dont proc your bow's enchantment, while firing arrows do.
    THE ONLY DOTS THAT PROC ENCHANTS ARE AOE. <----aka wall of elements+endless hail
    other than light attacks, heavy attacks, all direct damage from weapon skills proc enchants on cooldown.

any more questions?
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you, that makes sense although I dont think that's fair because not all weapons have a skill that can proc enchants from the back bar, kind of forces you into certain weapons.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uh it doesnt have to be fair, it is just that single target DoTs from weapon abilities were too strong for pvp. so pve got nerfed, happens all the time (tanks could theoretically dual wield backbar for crushing+weakening bleed on bosses for 100% uptime with no fear from mobs getting in the way of wall of elements, which would have been nerfed anyway with the upcoming one handed half enchant update anyway, tanks always get beaten in this game, literally).
    Edited by zvavi on January 31, 2019 5:42AM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah it get what you mean. I was just disappointed because I like playing as s/b with 2 hander and I was going to back bar caltrops on 2 hander to proc enchants but I guess I will have to switch to a destro staff back bar.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go with bow for longer duration (11 seconds), but generally lightening staff for more debuffs or frost staff for magicka tanking is a thing