Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Trial - Can't Log In

Mr_Wolfe
Mr_Wolfe
✭✭✭
I recently installed ESO on my PC but have been unable to log in. Every time I try I get a message saying: "Your username or password may be incorrect or inactive at this time."
  • I can log into my account on account.elderscrollsonline.com just fine, so I know the username and password are correct.
  • My account status is "Active - Trial"
  • I did not purchase the game through steam
  • Attempting to open a support ticket led to This Page which has troubleshooting advice but no option to actually open a support ticket when the troubleshooting steps don't work.
One thing I noticed is that the support page asks if I've received a "one time password" when logging in on a new machine. This is a different computer than the one I used previously, but I have not received any emails about it in my inbox/spam folder -- nor was there any mention the dozen-odd times I've attempted to log in. Unfortunately selecting "no" to that question on the support page did not bring up any further suggestions.

I'd really appreciate some help with this.
Edited by Mr_Wolfe on January 20, 2019 2:28AM
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok did you activate your account during the "free" trial?

If you did you can only continue to play by buying the game :(
    Edited by freespirit on January 20, 2019 4:27AM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    No, I created my PC account during the beta. Ended up buying the XBox version instead and hadn't touched my PC account again until a few days ago.

What I don't get is that it shows I have an active trial. If the trial was over my account should say inactive. I assumed this was some kind of perk left over from the beta that I forgot about. Since a little bit of googling shows that not being able to log in is a pretty common problem on PC, I figured that's what was happening with mine--especially since I never got a prompt or email about trying to log in from a new machine.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are having an issue with your account status, such as displaying as Active - Trial, you should contact Customer Support here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com.

When doing so, please include the game code attributed to your ESO game account to assist in the investigation.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE if you will read my first post, you'll see I did attempt to contact customer support through that site. (I even linked to it.) However, I could find no way to actually contact customer support through that site--just an automated troubleshooting guide that did not contain a solution to my problem.
    Edited by Mr_Wolfe on January 24, 2019 6:09PM
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't bought the game for PC, you won't be able to use that account.

My 'beta' account had the 'trial' designation as well until I actually bought the game for PC.

Why it say's it's active I'm not sure, because here's currently no trials (free or otherwise) available in the game.
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    That's kind of what I'm suspecting, because my spouse is having the same problem. (We were both in the pc beta.)

Pretty dishonest to show players that they have a trial available and then go "nope, you have to buy it."

Back in the day we called that "Bait and Switch" and it was illegal.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Mr_Wolfe

If you are unable to open a ticket using the "Submit Ticket" option, you can use this Account Recovery form for specialized assistance from our support team.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post