The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is character deletion currently safe?

sharquez
sharquez
✭✭✭✭✭
I have heard about a crippling storage bug where people have lost many items from their storage chests and or bank after deleting a character. i have a few characters I no longer play and wish to get rid of to make more desirable ones. Am I in danger of losing any items stored by those characters if i delete them after stripping them? Has this bug been addressed as I have neither heard nor seen anything recently about it.
At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone safely deleted a character since Murkmire?
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Has anyone safely deleted a character since Murkmire?

I deleted two on PC na and EU and noticed nothing missing so far.

• stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of this, and also have deleted and made a new character since Murkmire. I lost nothing. I would say that you should be safe.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of this, and also have deleted and made a new character since Murkmire. I lost nothing. I would say that you should be safe.

When storage chests were first introduced there was a bug where if you put items into a chest then deleted the character who had deposited them the items would vanish. As far as I'm aware it was fixed not long after the chests came out, but I can't say from personal experience since I haven't deleted anything since.

I believe there was also a work-around where you could keep the items safe by either putting them in the bank and then using a character you're not deleting to put them in the chest, or putting them directly in the chest but then withdrawing and replacing each one on a character you're not deleting - either way a 'safe' character was the last to deposit them so the items are also safe.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ravereth
    Ravereth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Is character deletion currently safe?

At this moment - yes. But you know... Better hurry up...

tumblr_inline_orwy08Czut1syfzhd_540.gif

Edited by Ravereth on January 19, 2019 4:56PM
  • JayAstrophel
    JayAstrophel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to figure out what characters I want to go with and have deleted a few recently. Haven't had any problems.
    TAMRIEL MERCENARIES AND ADVENTURERS SOCIETY
    CP460
    level cap characters -
    Aren'dra - khajiit ww stamblade - DPS - sneak-thief wanderer
    still leveling -
    Danara-jo - khajiit vamp magblade - healer - ancient scholar
    Lost-In-His-Wanderings - argonian magplar - healer - melancholy dreamer
    Riin-daro the Returned- khajiit necro - tank - pieced back together
    Paints-the-Skies - argonian magden - DPS - storyteller
    Furrin-ko - khajiit magden - healer - wild at heart
    Completely-Innocent - argonian magdk - DPS - gets into trouble
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bug still gets reported occasionally, even after their supposed fix went live. Not sure if they relesed another fix since then. I doubt it

If you are going to delete a character. I would take a screenshot of ALL the contents in all your storage boxes. In case anything disappears, ZOS will recover the items if you have a list (which you will because you took screenshots).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 19, 2019 6:02PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I deleted a character a couple of months ago and my stuff in my storage chests wasn't deleted.
    Just to be safe, though, don't interact with the storage chests right before you delete the character.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make sure that the character you delete is NOT the last one that interacted with the storage chest or that went into your house. That seemed to work the last time the bug was reported.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    Just make sure that the character you delete is NOT the last one that interacted with the storage chest or that went into your house. That seemed to work the last time the bug was reported.
    This. That's the safest way to do it, just in case the bug is still there.