The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bug? Skill Mechanics processing and Game State appear to break when fighting lagged people.

Shadi_Trixter
Shadi_Trixter
Soul Shriven
I've been playing PVP for awhile now and i'm pretty good at it. Its what I spend most of my time on and I die quite a bit but only about 10-20% of those deaths I'd call legitimate outplays.
I play a purification build Templar, 33k Spell Resist, 26k Physical, 27khp, 70-90ms latency steady, 60FPS steady.

The remaining 80% of deaths is typically a combination of three things where a single player appears to have significant lag spikes at only the best possible moments.

Specifically I've noticed, Scenario A:
I"m running along; no one around me, no attacks, in the span of a single second i'm down to 8k hp (-19k damage in 1s). I look at the combat log, I've been hit by 5 snipes.
If i'm not stunned, I can recover because i'm tanky; most other people can't.

Next I reorient on the guy, Scenario B:
Tap my Purifying Light and Vampires Bane (both hit), and Soul Assault just as he magically blends into the aether leaving me with a full screen of spam from Ability Missed Ability while the guys invised.

Drop my ground wards, and pop a detection pot and the guy is nowhere to be seen. Then Scenario A rinses and repeats with the guy right on top of me; He's not opening with that teleport, we're talking full on snipe and he was within 10m, right on top of me. Movement debuffs don't apply, melee based hits in range don't hit (no attack sound). Sometimes I don't managed to get Soul Assault off because he's invised almost instantly and he can do it back to back other times he's got friends and its less clear what's going on.

This brings me to Scenario C:

Full Stunlock and Damage over Time Abilities that have been purged reapplying after the following tick for the entire duration of the ability. Very rarely for the former quite often with the latter.
I'll be stunned, break free, and then be stunned again immediately. I should have cc-immune since white swirlies. I'm not talking about those defensive runes or uppercut that knocks you up. No full blown second stun that you can't break free. Seems to happen most often from the same people with Scenario A. Not necessarily solo sometimes in groups. Same thing with the Dots, you purge to drop 5, and after the next tick (1s) they are back up and you reapply two to three times before they finally drop (if your lucky) and they still do the damage.

That brings me to my final observation. When I'm experiencing all of these damage bursts, and other mentions. I often have an inkling its coming and tap my block on and off randomly. According to the damage recaps and log; the direct damage bursts aren't being blocked.

So I have to ask, are most of these mechanics really just being calculated client side?
Its the only way I can see all the above making sense, but I'm not ruling out something more exotic.

If I'm being honest, its very frustrating because it doesn't seem like the /bug function does anything and these are long standing issues at this point. It would be better if you removed PVP completely, reworked it, and then reintroduced at some later date rather than let these people run rampant abusing others that don't have a clue about the pvp balance in non-CP BGs.

I've seen people that have been doing the above on a daily basis since Murkmire hit and they have been reported but they're still around doing it. I've had a single person's DOTs reapply for the full 8-10 second ticks after they had gone off somewhere else, where purge would drop them, and 1s later they would be back, you'd purge 3-4 times with all the damage still taken and that's not even getting started with Warden Werewolves and their pets. I don't know how they do it but some werewolves seem to get the full pack buff from their pets completely negating the Battleground's Damage Modifier.

Has anyone else noticed these things?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A - Assuming you are speaking of 5 snipes from one player in what seems to be a second then that is server lag and it is real.

Server lag does not always show up in your ping and it is an issue Zos has not been able to rectify.

B, not really enough information, but if it is a NB that cloaked and you are putting down wards (plural) before you use a detect pot then you just gave them plenty of time to get out of range of the detect pot. Someone goes invis and you want to detect them then that is your priority.