Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

craglorn and cyridell flickering/artifacting assets--- old bug --- needs forum mod attention

• SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
  • DumdogsWorld
    I could be nasty and go on a costumer-service rant, but I figured it would be more productive to give additional information instead.

This is all "original research", in Wikipedia-terms, and may only be specific to me and my computer, but here goes:

==Frame Rate and v-sync==

The bug seems to be directly influenced (but most likely not caused) by frame-rate as well as v-sync. ESO is quirky on my computer, as it runs at (roughly) a solid 55-60 fps without v-sync, and runs at less than 30 fps with v-sync turned on. With v-sync turned off and a consistently high frame-rate, the assets flicker at an insane pace sometimes, and cause severe eye strain for me. Consistently lower frame-rates (which I've only ever had with v-sync turned on) produce that bug as well, but "rogue assets" are much less frequent...I can easily not see one for ten to twenty seconds or more, and then see merely one for a split-second. I do not have enough experience with lower frame-rates without v-sync, or visa versa, to give information on.

==Session Duration==

Entering a zone where the bug hits very hard (like Craglorn) seems to be fine for a bit after just logging in. I can go for a solid five minutes (sometimes much longer, or shorter) without seeing any anomalies. Then, it begins to trigger ever-so-slightly, and continues to get worse and worse until it peaks out at trees and rocks flying all over the place. As such, I believe the bug is tied to session duration.

==Bugged and Non-Bugged Zones==

I have seen the bug in (almost) every zone at least once (which leads me to believe there is no such thing as a zone unaffected by the bug), but some are clearly worse than others.

A very, very incomplete list, meant to serve more as an example than a list:

[Never Seen The Bug Zones]
    -Imperial City Districts

[Virtually Non-Existent Zones]
    -Stonefalls
    -BleakRock Isle

[Medium Zones]
    -The Rift

[High Zones]
    -Cyrodiil

[Virtually Unplayable Zones]
    -Craglorn

==Is it a Loading-Related Bug?==

I'm a game programmer myself, and there are several things I can think of that could cause such a bug in many cases.

-Faulty culling code.

Many (if not most) game engines refuse to draw objects that are outside of the player's field-of-view. By "draw", I don't mean just rendering - I mean performing any calculations related the the objects whatsoever. If an enemy is outside of your field-of-view, an engine is likely going to process just the physics and gameplay-related elements of that enemy, and that's it. If the code indexes assets incorrectly after adding/removing visible objects from a list, such a bug could occur. (That's just an example...I have no knowledge of how the ESO engine does things, of course!)

-Faulty code for loading and unloading assets while moving.

Engines often tend to load and unload assets while you're moving, even in the same loaded area. I don't know whether ESO does this, or if it simply "disables" objects that are far away and stuffs all assets needed for a zone in memory before-hand. If it *does* constantly load and unload stuff, I imagine indexing (or something else similar, like an object cache that isn't cleared correctly upon re-use) could cause such a bug.

I obviously don't have the source code to ESO, so the following is purely speculation...

I don't think either of the above potential causes are causing the bug. If you stand perfectly still and not rotate the camera, the bug still occurs. It almost seems like some kind of faulty sorting code for rendering, or something along those lines...

Well, that's it for now. I'm going to get some breakfast.
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    The latest patch (4.2.11) doesn't fix this issue yet. When?
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can finally confirm that I've seen this as well. Most noticeably while being stationary.

Going outside of the affected zone in Craglorn kind of fixes it. For example, if it's happening in Belkarth, going outside of the city fixes it (not entirely but it's nowhere as severe). Or if it happens in the northern part, going south will ease it a bit.

Also, moving your character makes this issue appear less.

P.S. It is kind of freaky. This glitch reminded me of migraine with aura experience. :O

Edited by maboleth on December 13, 2018 12:20PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if all the bugs were fixed. However, MMORPGs often have tons of bugs that are never fixed. To a degree they need to prioritize efforts and something like this probably hits low on the list.

Case in point. Zos clearly prioritized the GF issue as a low priority until it had a major impact. Yes, they said they thought they had fixed it but considering the large number of threads contrary to the issue, including some that clearly demonstrated the issue could only be with the GF. Heck, even Cyrodiil itself does not perform great. It has not been as bad lately but population has been very, very low.
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    Up!
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    Up!
  • shatterjugs
    i have this same issue. even in trials this happens. it's been ongoing for months.
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. The problem appears more and more often! Fix this!
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    up
  • Medieval3D
    Medieval3D
    ✭✭✭
    I went back to ESO since long time, bought 21000 Crowns, get some dlcs... the game flickers a lot... :/, ZOS could release a patch just focused on fix the flickering on all zones... please....!!
    Medieval
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    up
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't limited to Craglorn only.

It happens when it's bright and sunny mostly, and it happens in Auridon and Glenumbra as well.

Nowhere near as often, but it happens - especially newly rendered trees flicker for a split second sometimes.
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    Today, thank to the new PvP event, to get tickets, I entered again to Cyrodiill after a very long time. They're true the messages from other users: this zone is bugged like Craglorn. The same texture issues. This is exasperating and, the same time, a huge shame.
  • Rikkadir
    Rikkadir
    ✭✭✭
    Just started doing some Skyshard farming in Lower Craglorn, and the flickering/glitching is driving me mad on PS4 :(
    Only ever seen it in Craglorn though, delves are OK.
    PS4/PS5/EU
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Up. Like @Vasoka said, it happens not only in the Craglorn.
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    The latest patch (4.2.12) doesn't fix this issue yet. When?
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    It happens everywhere. It's not constant, it's actually fairly sporadic, but when it does happen it's annoying as hell.

I thought that my new RTX2080 is faulty for the longest time before I stumbled upon dozens of threads since Summerset talking about the issue. Here's a perfect GIF showing it:

https://gfycat.com/TenderInsistentDodo

Someone else recorded this, here's the thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427195/anyone-experiencing-this-flickering-issue-summerset

Not to mention that any time I enter Elden Root, all of the textures disappear for a split second and then re-appear in a massive graphical artifact before it settles down.
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno so about that "improved communication"...this has been an issue for quite a while and this thread is several months old, but where is the communication from ZOS? :)

A visual bug for a crown store dress got a response very quickly, so why has this not received a single response?
  • R3A1
    R3A1
    ✭✭
    Bump
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    UP
  • JeibuKul
    JeibuKul
    ✭✭
    Going to contribute to this post. I have been experiencing this in Upper Craglorn a lot. It makes the zone quite unplayable at times, just because of all the stuff flickering in and out.

In Cyrodiil, I occasionally get a screen where everything is just black except for the characters and npc's, then it fixes itself within a second. It is also quite annoying.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just going to add that i'm getting the same artifacts as the OP, but only in Cyrodiil.
    unsure.gif

PS: Craglorn and other zones are fine for me (for now).

PPS: Windows 10, GTX 1080ti, repaired game, turned off all AddOns, no change

• Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well due.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Up
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    up
  • thelawnranger79
    Just saw a giant, orangish pyramid in cyro today looking towards brk from sej. Ps4 NA.
    Edited by thelawnranger79 on January 25, 2019 8:25PM
  • Waynerx8
    Waynerx8
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just entered Craglorn and have the same flickering issue, even got a bit of lag too which I don't get very often.
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    up
  • santialonso
    santialonso
    ✭✭✭
    up
This discussion has been closed.