Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting Writ Quests don't refresh after completing two day old, existing writ quests.

ProbablePaul
ProbablePaul
✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure if this is occurring on other platforms, but I play on PS4 - NA.

This issue happens when I complete existing writ quests that have been in my quest log for two reset periods or more (11pm MST). If I don't let more than one reset period lapse from when I last accepted quests from the writ boards, upon completing them, the writ quests will refresh and become available for the current day. From my experience, any other existing daily quest refreshes after I complete it, so long as any number of reset periods have lapsed. Because of that experience, I imagine that daily writ quests should work similarly?

Case 1:
  • Monday @5pm - Log in, accept writ quests for all crafts, log out.
  • Tuesday - Log in, complete writ quests from Monday, new quests from Tuesday Generate, I accept those, and either complete them, or log out.

Case 2:
  • Tuesday - Don't log in.
  • Wednesday - Log in, complete writ quests from Monday. The writ quests for Wednesday do not become available. Occasionally, for some reason the alchemy writ will refresh, but the others wont.

Case 3:
  • Tuesday - Don't log in.
  • Wednesday - Don't Log in.
  • Thursday - Don't log in.
  • Friday - Log in, complete Monday's writs... same outcome as case 2.

Any chance the outcome of cases 2 and 3 should be the same as case 1?
Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    so, if you pick up a writ on Monday that requires a helm, dagger, and pauldron, but then don't turn it back in until another day where that is the quest, you won't get it again. IE you can only turn in one a day, and the game doesn't read when you picked it up only when you dropped it off.

Make sense?

Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    so, if you pick up a writ on Monday that requires a helm, dagger, and pauldron, but then don't turn it back in until another day where that is the quest, you won't get it again. IE you can only turn in one a day, and the game doesn't read when you picked it up only when you dropped it off.

Make sense?

Any daily quest I've completed on a day that was different from the day I accepted it always refreshes the quest for the current day. It's functioned this way since launch, so it must be the case that you're allowed to accept a daily quest once a day, not vice versa as you described.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    U missed the point. If the quest is different yes, but not if its the same. It won't give you back the quest you just turned in.

Maybe that is not your question so whatever's clever.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    U missed the point. If the quest is different yes, but not if its the same. It won't give you back the quest you just turned in.

My experience too.

By the way -- most crafts are on a three-day cycle, but alchemy is on a four- or eight-day one. So if you don't get the others you're likely to get alchemy, and vice-versa.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sense?

Any daily quest I've completed on a day that was different from the day I accepted it always refreshes the quest for the current day. It's functioned this way since launch, so it must be the case that you're allowed to accept a daily quest once a day, not vice versa as you described.

With the writs it is very simple. If you turn them in on a day other than when you pick them up and it happens to be the same writ will be given that day you will not get a new writ.

It does not matter your experience with other daily quests. This is the way it is for writs.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just chiming in to agree, here. For crafting writs, since most are on a three-day cycle, you can only hold on to it for two days before turning it in. If you wait and turn it in 3 days after accepting it, the daily writ quests will be the same as what you had picked up 3 days prior and thus, once you turn it in you won't get a new one, since it would be the same as what you just turned in.

It's been that way since crafting writs launched. Now, this is also the case for some other dailies, like the CWC world boss quests. Since there are only 2 world bosses, if you pick up that quest, and then don't do it until 2 days later, then you won't get it again since it would be the same. I suspect most dailies are like this, it's just that most of them have more than 2 or 3 variants, so you don't usually run into the problem of turning in an old daily that happens to be the same as the one offered that day.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Make sense?

This isn't necessarily true. I used to do Orsinium dailies with a guild of mine. The group leader would pick up the first blue quest pin and share with the group. After turn in, group members who were on the same cycle had no daily to pick up, but some could pick up a different quest for the same daily and share that with the group. On your own, with many dailies, you are not likely to notice if you hang on to a quest for a couple days. But most craft writ dailies are on a three day cycle, as stated before.
    Edited by driosketch on January 11, 2019 9:25PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best thing to do with Crafting writs is to pick up one day one, then wait until day 2 to turn in, then pick up and turn in day 2s writs and complete turn in. If your trying to be efficient with your time.

Although, if you use an addons like lazy writ crafter, the overall time savings is negligible vs just getting the writ and doing them the same day.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another way to think of it. If you pick up the shoes/sash/hat writ, do it, then turn it in 30 seconds later, do you get that writ again? No. The writ for the day was shoes/sash/hat, you turned in shoes/sash/hat, you are done for the day. There is no difference to the game between a shoes/sash/hat writ given on Monday versus a shoes/sash/hat writ given on Thursday. The game has no idea whether you picked that writ up 30 days ago or 3 days ago or 3 seconds ago.
  • Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    There is a known issue with the Alchemy writs that began with the intro to Poisons. If you have a poison quest you better turn it in that day because that one will not reset. I've had 100% no luck with carrying over a poison quest. I've had 100% success with carrying over every other crafting writ.

This post @ZOS_GinaBruno admits it was not fixed in December 2017 PTS. No fix since either.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4557855/#Comment_4557855

There are several topics about this same issue and sadly, never fixed.
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭

After reading the other responses I understand what you were trying to say. Writ quests aren't individual quests but instead steps within a cycle that resets, and you're only allowed to complete a given step of the cycle once per cycle. So, you can't complete hat/sash/shoes twice in the same cycle.
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Another way to think of it. If you pick up the shoes/sash/hat writ, do it, then turn it in 30 seconds later, do you get that writ again? No. The writ for the day was shoes/sash/hat, you turned in shoes/sash/hat, you are done for the day. There is no difference to the game between a shoes/sash/hat writ given on Monday versus a shoes/sash/hat writ given on Thursday. The game has no idea whether you picked that writ up 30 days ago or 3 days ago or 3 seconds ago.

Thanks, this explains it really well. I don't log in every day, so I was under the impression that writ quests were randomly assigned templates.

It still doesn't make sense to me for them to place these quests within a cycle, sure they can track completion with a simple true and false for each character, but adding even one extra condition to that can make repeatable quests more functional for people who don't log in every day. Not to mention, fewer conditions placed on these kinds of structures usually means they're exploitable in some way.