The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confused about weapons

markthegreat56
Sorry folks, I'm new to gaming as well as ESO. I am confused about weapons. I have learned to equip weapons, and slot them, but so often my slotted weapons are not available, and I can't see the actual one I've chosen for say, two handed, etc. I've tried adding shields, but it becomes my main weapon, which is not my intention. I have made it to level 15 in spite of this deficit. But I want to have more control and understanding about my weapons.

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm a little confused about your question, but I'll do my best to help.

To set a weapon as the weapon you are using, equip it or drag-n-drop it into the weapon slot on your character sheet from your inventory. Whatever weapon you have in that slot determines how you heavy/light attack and what skills you can use from your weapon skill lines. You can use your class skills with any weapon, but to use weapon skills you must have a weapon matching that type equipped and the weapon skill line unlocked (unlocked by killing any enemy with that weapon via light/heavy attacks).

The weapons are destruction staff (fire, lightning, ice), restoration staff, two-handed (maul, battleaxe, greatsword), bow, dual wield (any two of sword, mace, axe or dagger), and one hand and shield (sword, axe, mace, or dagger plus shield).

At level 15, you get a second bar which allows you to equip two weapon types and swap between them. Prior to that, you can only have one weapon type at a time.

So if you need to see your weapons, open your inventory and look at the weapons tab. That should also bring up your character's equipped inventory, so you can check what weapon you have equipped at present. At level 15, you will see 2 slots for weapons. One will be your first bar and the 2nd will apply to your second skill bar, and you'll use the weapon swap to switch between them.

If you have a greatsword equipped, you will be able to use your class skills and any Two-handed skills.

If you add a shield, that switches to One Hand and Shield, and you'll need to equip a one handed weapon (sword, axe, mace, or dagger) to go with the shield.

Hope that helps!
    Answer ✓
  • markthegreat56
    Wow, it sure helps. Thank you. It's been a big frustration. I'm sure not many people have their first gaming experience with such a deep game.
    Edited by markthegreat56 on January 9, 2019 4:55PM
    Answer ✓
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, what he said. ^
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that you can always use class skills and other skills like from the mage guild, weapon skills require the weapon.
    Standard is two one hand weapons or an two hand one and an bow on the other bar.
    Open up with the bow and switch to melee then enemy come close.

or two staffs, restoration staffs are primary for healing and then mostly healing other players even if you heal yourself to.
    weapon and shield is mostly for tanking as in holding enemy so he attack you rather than other players.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.