The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Too embarrassed to ask this but here i go.

rptrainer
rptrainer
✭✭
Are there any specific in game rules and regulations that players have to abide to? Like giving bites, I'm willing every week but somebody said to me that there are guilds to do that. So you don't have to do it.
How about guilds? Do they have rules? I'm about 1 year in the game and still a solo player.
Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some guilds have rules, others don't. Its individual to the guilds.

As for player behavior, players need to abide by the Code of Conduct and the Terms of Service.

Giving bites is something you can do, or not, as a favor to other players. Some guilds will provide them, especially werewolf RP guilds. Most of the guilds I'm in, members were willing to give them freely to guildmates but it wasnt a requirement. I bought like from another player for 5k because I was impatient and didnt want to wait around for someone who was willing to give a free bite.
    Answer ✓
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    You can do what ever you want with your bite. Bite for free or charge gold for it or don't give them out at all. Yes, most guilds have some kind of rules it varies from guild to guild.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Find a guild with people like you. Unwritten rules are basically be nice to guildies, be available to run trials/dungeons when you are online, after runs give up trials/dungeons gear that you don't need for free, craft some stuff if you are a crafter, and maybe give up some pots or food when fellow guildies need them on raids. Some require weekly dues, but those are guilds with a trader component. Some require you to sign up on Band or other social media sites. At least that's been my experience.

There are some hardcore guilds, typically progression guilds, out there that have codified rules. I tend to avoid them, but have had the misfortune of getting picked up on some of their raids. Got to tell you, its pretty unpleasant.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I go to the rift weekly with all 6 of my vamps and give out free bites. They are yours, do as you wish.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find the official Code of Conduct here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/code-of-conduct
    That's the official rules players have to abide by to avoid getting banned. There's also the Terms of Service and the End User Licence Agreement (links at the bottom of this page) but those are more legal stuff to do with buying the game and any additional purchases than rules about what you can and can't do in-game.

Guilds will all have their own rules and expectations and it's always a good idea to discuss it with the recruiter when you're considering joining. For example some guilds expect you to be available on a voice-chat program any time you're online, or willing to drop what you're doing to join in with dungeons and others don't use voice chat at all and don't mind if you want to do your own thing.

Then there's things which are considered good etiquette among players, like offering vampire and werewolf bites for free and not looting a chest when someone else is fighting monsters next to it (meaning they got there first but had to clear the monsters out before they could loot it). Some people will insist that these are enforceable rules, even claiming you can be banned if they report you for breaking them, but unless ZOS thought it was a form of harassment it's highly unlikely they'd do anything.

As with any etiquette opinions will vary on what's reasonable and if there's any exceptions. As discussed some people charge for bites, others consider that a form of scam because free bites are usually easy to find. The best approach is to do what you think is right in the situation.
    Edited by Danikat on January 5, 2019 5:25PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ananoriel
    Ananoriel
    ✭✭✭
    There are no rules for giving bites to other players. I actually think it is kind of you that you do it each week.

As people wrote here as well, guilds often have their own rules, set by the admins or officers. Some guilds like hardcore raiding or trading guilds have often stricter rules than social or casual guilds.

I played this game solo for the first year until I've got into a guild. And I have to say that it has improved my enjoyment of the game. I am in two guilds now, a social and a Dutch one. It is nice to get a bond with others over time, dungeons and trials are more fun with guildies and some things are very handy like the trading house or just helping eachother.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cool that you are conscientious but as long as you are within the code of conduct of the game play as you wish!

Sure if you are in a guild to remain a member they may have rules they have created, but otherwise just enjoy the game
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • rptrainer
    rptrainer
    ✭✭
    Sorry for not replying soon. As i only visit the forums if there are game updates. How about player imposed? I encountered one said, "Get out of here, this is my spot." I'm doing a quest related in that said spot. I would like to be in a guild but I think I'm not fit in any right now. I saw some chats in game that berating under performing tanks. So I'd best not be in one. Thanks again

Additional info: currently cp 467 dk tank if anyone would ask.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rptrainer wrote: »
    Sorry for not replying soon. As i only visit the forums if there are game updates. How about player imposed? I encountered one said, "Get out of here, this is my spot." I'm doing a quest related in that said spot. I would like to be in a guild but I think I'm not fit in any right now. I saw some chats in game that berating under performing tanks. So I'd best not be in one. Thanks again

Additional info: currently cp 467 dk tank if anyone would ask.

Guilds can set their own rules. There are plenty of guilds, so feel free to pick one who's rules suit you.

Some people get territorial about whatever space they are killing enemies in. If you are questing, you certainly have every right to be in that area. Honestly, you have every right to be there even if you aren't - its an MMORPG.

Most guilds I've been in are pretty positive and tanking for guildie runs is a great way to learn the mechanics and get positive encouragement on what you do well and where you can improve. If you aren't looking for a serious guild, maybe keep an eye out for guilds that cater to relaxed or newer players. If they dont treat you well, move on to another guild until you find one you like.