Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

White Gryphon

gangyzgirl
gangyzgirl
✭✭✭✭
I was under the impression that this pet would be exclusive to only those whom were generous enough to spend 1000 crowns in gifts to other players. Finding out that people can also just buy it themselves with crowns kinda takes away the meaning behind being able to acquire it in the first place.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gangyzgirl wrote: »
    I was under the impression that this pet would be exclusive to only those whom were generous enough to spend 1000 crowns in gifts to other players. Finding out that people can also just buy it themselves with crowns kinda takes away the meaning behind being able to acquire it in the first place.

This was an unnecessary deception. They should have disclosed that it would be available for sale in January along with the price that it would be sold for.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t bother me that much, but I was surprised to see it so soon.

I guess the price will be 1k crowns or more. If it’s less, it will be unfair to those who gifted items for 1k.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the obsession with "exclusive". Is your only reason for wanting something based on denying it to others?

• AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    I don't understand the obsession with "exclusive". Is your only reason for wanting something based on denying it to others?

^ Agreed. ^

People really are in love with 'exclusive'.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't get the white gryphon, so I don't have anything invested in this, but I do agree that it's not really fair to tell people they can only get it by gifting, and then offer it to anyone (and as Atallanta said, it should now cost more than 1000 crowns.)

Edit: I read the other thread on the topic, and someone suggested it might be upwards of 2500 crowns. If that is the case, I think it might be okay; it is no longer exclusive, but it does not negate the value of the gifting.
    Edited by whitecrow on January 3, 2019 6:00PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deception?
    More like blatant lie.
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's about denying others, its about being unique and not seeing all and sundry using the same mount and pet imho.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easier to understand if you ask yourself this question: "would i like my face to not be exclusive, and see a lot of people walking around with my face?"
    In a video game, where differentiating factors are very few (compared to real life), having "exclusive" things is the only way to give that sense of uniqueness we get used to in real life (we have our own unique face, finger prints, voice, iris, etc...).
    It is not so much about denying it to others, but more about having something unique (or as unique as possible) to define our characters.

Or you can compare it with Love if you prefer: it's not about wanting to deny the one you love to the rest of the human species (unless unhealthy psyche) but usually people prefer an exclusive relation ship, it just makes more sense that way :p
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭

People do think this way (mostly in case of earned/achievement/RNG drops), but for most it is a case of Opportunity Cost and FOMO (fear of missing out). They're not upset other people are getting it so much as being manipulated into making a suboptimal choice.

A: "There is an item. I don't want to miss out on this ITEM X. The only way to get ITEM X is TASK A. I have to perform TASK A to avoid FOMO."
    B: "We are back two weeks later to tell you that you can now get ITEM X by performing TASK B, which is cheaper/easier/comes with additional items."
    A: "What the heckin bamboozle. I would have much preferred TASK B had I known it was an alternative instead of just FOMO."

One of the consolations between the two is 'early access', eg you don't have to BUY Summerset, you can wait until it becomes included in ESO+ as the next chapter is released. But purchasing it means you get to experience it for a year before the ESO+ method does, even if it ultimately costs you more.
    This effect is mitigated the shorter the wait time is between them. Less than a month makes this effect basically nonexistent.
    Edited by snackrat on January 4, 2019 12:13AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I, too, was surprised that it's going to now be in the Crown Store, and so soon after the promotion. I didn't bother with the promotion since I didn't really care for the pet. If I had really wanted it, then I probably would have gone through the process to get it, knowing that I was essentially paying 1,000 crowns for it.

It's possible that they didn't get enough players to gift items during the holidays and so are now selling it outright. I can't see it costing "upwards of 2500 crowns." That's a ridiculous price for a pet and they've never gone higher than 1500 crowns for one.

Now, granted, some players probably gave more in gifts than 1000 crowns - maybe some even spent 2500 crowns. But, an outright price would seem to be 1200-1500 crowns - costing more than the base qualifying price of the promotion. I think the other gryphon pet offered in the store was 1000 crowns, so I can't see this one being that much higher.

I do think it was a little misleading - giving the impression that the gifting promotion was the only way to get the pet. I could see it being in the CS next holiday season for outright purchase, but just a few weeks after? I can understand players being upset by it.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »

It's easier to understand if you ask yourself this question: "would i like my face to not be exclusive, and see a lot of people walking around with my face?"
    In a video game, where differentiating factors are very few (compared to real life), having "exclusive" things is the only way to give that sense of uniqueness we get used to in real life (we have our own unique face, finger prints, voice, iris, etc...).
    It is not so much about denying it to others, but more about having something unique (or as unique as possible) to define our characters.

Or you can compare it with Love if you prefer: it's not about wanting to deny the one you love to the rest of the human species (unless unhealthy psyche) but usually people prefer an exclusive relation ship, it just makes more sense that way :p

Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read, on a games forum.

...and believe me, it's had some competition for top spot. xD

...and no, you don't really have an "exclusive face" IRL, as you almost certainly have (and/or have had) at least one doppelganger.

Hope you can cope with that shocking piece of information?

Edited by Tigerseye on January 5, 2019 4:38PM
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The point was about people gifted crown items to the tune of 1k crowns or more - it’s basically an ‘achievement’ granted pet.

Or it was. Now it’s a buyable one.

That said, I’d have still thrown Xmas gifts around because that’s how I am.

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Buying a couple of people gifts is not an "achievement".

• Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

...and no, you don't really have an "exclusive face" IRL, as you almost certainly have (and/or have had) at least one doppelganger.

Doppelgangers are not exactly the same, just very very similar in general appearance. Even real twins (homozygotes) are not exactly the same - that also applies to clones.
    Yes, one's face - with everything it includes, like the iris, is always unique and exclusive, at least in the close detail.

I personally like diversity. Living in a world of clones, all wearing the same uniform, walking the same way and performing the same kind of movements to greet one another, seems nightmarish to me.

Unfortunately, individual diversity in a video game implies that some things need to be rare enough so that combining sufficient different elements (some rare, some common) you end up with a rather unique combination.
    IRL, the number of elements to combine is large enough to produce uniqueness without necessarily having to add rarity to the mix.

Of course we can argue about what constitutes a valid/legitimate way to produce that rarity/scarcity in ESO.
    Is it the Crown Store?
    (not in my opinion)
    Is is in-game achievements?
    (I'm inclining to this)
    Something else?

But in my opinion, there is a need for some rarity somewhere, to feel in ESO like we feel IRL: unique (for better or for worse, being unique is not an achievement per se)
    Thinking that the need for exclusivity derives from wanting to deny others something is very limited IMO, To me, it's more about making sure that everyone can enjoy diversity and anyway, I have learned a long time ago that we can't have all the things :p
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I didn't get the white gryphon, so I don't have anything invested in this, but I do agree that it's not really fair to tell people they can only get it by gifting, and then offer it to anyone (and as Atallanta said, it should now cost more than 1000 crowns.)

Edit: I read the other thread on the topic, and someone suggested it might be upwards of 2500 crowns. If that is the case, I think it might be okay; it is no longer exclusive, but it does not negate the value of the gifting.

I wouldn't take that too seriously, people are always predicting absurdly expensive prices for crown store items. And yes I know a lot of stuff in the crown store is over-priced, but I mean predicting prices way, way above anything we've seen before. This would be another example of that trend.

As far as I can see the most expensive crown store pets were the Dire Pony and the Hearthfire Hatchling which both costs 1,200 crowns. All the rest were between 400 and 1,000 crowns. Whilst it's technically possible for them to put any price they like on any crown store item I think it's highly unlikely they're going to sell a recoloured griffon for more than double their top price so far.

Personally I suspect it will cost between 1,000 and 1,200 crowns. I can't see it being less than 1,000 because I don't think ZOS are that stupid that they'd *** off everyone who participated in the gifting event to get one, but I also can't see them making it much more expensive because it is "only" a recoloured griffon and people aren't going to buy it if it costs much more than a normal pet when they could get another colour instead.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Atallanta wrote: »

I guess the price will be 1k crowns or more. If it’s less, it will be unfair to those who gifted items for 1k.

It is was just early access. They do this all the time so the people that missed out are more inclined to buy it.
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Buying a couple of people gifts is not an "achievement".

No I agree with that - but that’s how ZOS set it up...pretty sure I used quotes around achievement, for this reason, but maybe I didn’t? I’d have to go back and look xD

Edited to add: yep, I had!
    Edited by IzzyStardust on January 11, 2019 6:14PM
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭

It is was just early access. They do this all the time so the people that missed out are more inclined to buy it.

The problem is that "early access" was not how it was presented. It's not a huge deal but I do feel that this was a promotion that was done under false pretenses. I do not feel like I was dealt with in an up front manner regarding the white pet gryphon. I just think those are bad precedents to set for community to feel like they are not being treated in a straight forward manner. In other words, I'm not quitting the game or anything but it seemed sheisty.
    Edited by ErinGoBrag520 on January 11, 2019 6:16PM
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that "early access" was not how it was presented. It's not a huge deal but I do feel that this was a promotion that was done under false pretenses. I do not feel like I was dealt with in an up front manner regarding the white pet gryphon. I just think those are bad precedents to set for community to feel like they are not being treated in a straight forward manner. In other words, I'm not quitting the game or anything but it seemed sheisty.
    100% this! I’d have spent out on some special folks anyway - but the way it was done was shady.
  • AngelaWasp
    AngelaWasp
    ✭✭✭
    I've come to the conclusion that it's best to expect everything in the game, that is cosmetic and doesn't offer players an advantage, to be on sale in the crown store eventually - unless said otherwise in announcements.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Doppelgangers are not exactly the same, just very very similar in general appearance. Even real twins (homozygotes) are not exactly the same - that also applies to clones.
    Yes, one's face - with everything it includes, like the iris, is always unique and exclusive, at least in the close detail.

I personally like diversity. Living in a world of clones, all wearing the same uniform, walking the same way and performing the same kind of movements to greet one another, seems nightmarish to me.

Unfortunately, individual diversity in a video game implies that some things need to be rare enough so that combining sufficient different elements (some rare, some common) you end up with a rather unique combination.
    IRL, the number of elements to combine is large enough to produce uniqueness without necessarily having to add rarity to the mix.

Of course we can argue about what constitutes a valid/legitimate way to produce that rarity/scarcity in ESO.
    Is it the Crown Store?
    (not in my opinion)
    Is is in-game achievements?
    (I'm inclining to this)
    Something else?

But in my opinion, there is a need for some rarity somewhere, to feel in ESO like we feel IRL: unique (for better or for worse, being unique is not an achievement per se)
    Thinking that the need for exclusivity derives from wanting to deny others something is very limited IMO, To me, it's more about making sure that everyone can enjoy diversity and anyway, I have learned a long time ago that we can't have all the things :p

There is already a ton of diversity options in this game. Just character creation alone offers numerous permutations. All the various sliders and adjustments you can make to so many things. Then eye colors/hairstyles/hair colors, etc.

Then, there are the variety of mounts and pets that can be assigned to each character.

Then, there are all the costumes, which can be dyed, and you can mix in hats, accessories, adornments, tattoos, makeup, etc.

Then, there is the outfit system, which offers countless permutations, all of which can be dyed.

I think we've got diversity covered in this game. One little pet isn't going to make a character suddenly unique from all other characters.

That said, as I posted before, I think the way this promotion was communicated was misleading. Frankly, I think they undermined this promotion for next year by offering the pet so soon after it ended. It could have been offered for sale next year while a new pet was offered for the promotion. Even then, some players who this year only gifted for the pet will probably just wait for future items from this promotion to show up for sale in the CS.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on January 14, 2019 7:35PM
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭
    What did it end up costing? I see it is out today but I'm at work.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not recall Zos stating the pet would be exclusive as OP has suggested the thought it was. I can see it is easy to assume such a thing but that is all it is.

Unless Zos says it is exclusive to XYZ then the safe assumption is that it will not be. Plain and simple.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did it end up costing? I see it is out today but I'm at work.

The website has it listed for 1200 crowns, discounted to 1080 for 4 days. I guess I'm a little relieved as that was almost exactly how much I gifted last month to get it.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore
    Edited by BretonMage on January 31, 2019 5:43PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »

^ Agreed. ^

People really are in love with 'exclusive'.

Cobra Mk IV

Hopefully someone recognises the ridiculous saga I refer to.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will never state an item will never be offered again. They bring some items back and some not so you can never be sure. This feeds our perception that I better make that purchase so I can be in the exclusive club.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Matchimus wrote: »
    They will never state an item will never be offered again. They bring some items back and some not so you can never be sure. This feeds our perception that I better make that purchase so I can be in the exclusive club.

Except they did just that in the announcement for February's gifting promotion. The pearl pink pig is ONLY available during this promotion and will never be offered in the CS: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/55617.

ETA: Now it's entirely possible that the pig will be offered again as part of a gifting promotion, but it won't be in the store for direct purchase (nor, presumably, in crates, since that's part of the store and crate items are purchasable for gems).
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 1, 2019 6:03PM
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know one thing is for sure, I'm not doing anything for that pig this month...
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know one thing is for sure, I'm not doing anything for that pig this month...

Agreed its kinda lame for an event pet. The white gryphon was worth it but they ruined it for me when they made it available in the crown store the same month the people that participated got it. It would be one thing if they released it months later or as a crown crate chance but to just make it available was a slap to the face and now i won't do another crown gifting event.

• Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Matchimus wrote: »

Except they did just that in the announcement for February's gifting promotion. The pearl pink pig is ONLY available during this promotion and will never be offered in the CS: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/55617.

ETA: Now it's entirely possible that the pig will be offered again as part of a gifting promotion, but it won't be in the store for direct purchase (nor, presumably, in crates, since that's part of the store and crate items are purchasable for gems).

I stand completely corrected. I bet ZOS saw my post & thought we will show this guy. I wondered what I can say next....