Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Next chapter...spellcrafting?

• Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based off of this evidence looks like spellcrafting was dropped again. Me personally I didn't care for it...unless it would have let me craft some necromancer skills. So I'll still hold out hope for a Necromancer class....unless someone has evidence from a Rep staying otherwise.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like broken meta waiting to happen
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instead of making it like usable items, they should turn it into some kind of customisable weapon, like... You set your five spells on a grimoire or whatever, which you must set on your skill bar to use, and then equip the grimoire with a 1h to melee/ranged hybrid or two grimoires for only ranged but higher aoe or something

They could be crafted just like any other weapon: need books, trait material, items to upgrade its quality, etc., then you could "write" your spells on em. Maybe you could change em easily, maybe you'd need to craft another grimoire to change em...

It would also kinda compensate the lack of offensive magicka based weapons... Yeah, we have three different staves, but they're basically the same.

This way it may even avoid all the balancing issues and stuff.
    Edited by Inval1d on January 2, 2019 5:50PM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to remind everyone that there is a "Spell-Crafting" system already made.
    No wondering what they will do, and you KNOW Zo$ isn't going to invest $$$ for developing a new one.
    (Just like Murkmire has actually been around since 2014).
    IMO, I think it will be easy to balance. BUT, the way ZoS has made everything a gods awful grind, and focus on Crown Store, it scares me a little how ZoS will implement it IF we get it.
    Here is a reminder and summary of the Spellcrafting system that they have already from 2014....
    Huzzah!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0al01e7ClE&t=0s&index=94&list=PLgAMhJBJInPdFMVCMfT-N_OEeaUK9YLuH
    (Also, just a note, anyone else miss Nick Konkle? :) )

Easy to balance? Sure. Easy to balance and interesting? TBD. I'd say no. Gunna make mag dk have a frost whip? Super interesting/s
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    why does this kind of threads exsist... seriously...
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why does this kind of threads exsist... seriously...

You must be very fun to be around at social gatherings
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templesus wrote: »
    Cireous wrote: »
    I have kept the name of the class rep anonymous. This was before the NDA. Straight from discord. 735-BD33-F-D8-C7-4629-A7-C7-EBFC5-AB35499.jpg

Thank you, I appreciate the screenshot and information. :smirk:

Due to the huge disappointment from last year when a lot of us were almost certain Spellcrafting was coming with Summerset, I have remained fairly pessimistic about everything Spellcrafting as a result. Every year, about this time of year, the thought that this might be the year keeps creeping in and I continually become excited, then, ultimately, let down. As much as I may want it, that doesn't mean they are ever going to give it to us and I have finally come to the conclusion that all I can do is lower my head and accept reality. It's probably not coming.

That said, I feel the vibe of what the class rep may have said in what you linked above has more of a "this is my opinion" feel to it, and may not be a "they've discussed this with us in detail" type of statement. But who knows. Again, there is a part of me that wants to hold onto even the smallest glimmer of hope that, indeed, this is actually the year it comes. After all, they've done all the other things they've talked about doing. It's all here now. Spellcrafting is all that's left undone. It's time.

See, there I go again... :blush:

I wish I could tell you that’s the case. However, it’s not.

Spellcrafting is dead. It’s been scrapped as a concept. It’s best if everyone just moves on.

F67480-BA-E3-AF-4-F49-8713-48-B43-E85-AA58.jpg

What say you @ZOS_RichLambert ? Is it dead as disco?
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares?

They made trait changing and jewellry so pita that no-one really uses either.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have kept the name of the class rep anonymous. This was before the NDA. Straight from discord. 735-BD33-F-D8-C7-4629-A7-C7-EBFC5-AB35499.jpg

Due to the huge disappointment from last year when a lot of us were almost certain Spellcrafting was coming with Summerset, I have remained fairly pessimistic about everything Spellcrafting as a result. Every year, about this time of year, the thought that this might be the year keeps creeping in and I continually become excited, then, ultimately, let down. As much as I may want it, that doesn't mean they are ever going to give it to us and I have finally come to the conclusion that all I can do is lower my head and accept reality. It's probably not coming.

That said, I feel the vibe of what the class rep may have said in what you linked above has more of a "this is my opinion" feel to it, and may not be a "they've discussed this with us in detail" type of statement. But who knows. Again, there is a part of me that wants to hold onto even the smallest glimmer of hope that, indeed, this is actually the year it comes. After all, they've done all the other things they've talked about doing. It's all here now. Spellcrafting is all that's left undone. It's time.

Spellcrafting is dead. It’s been scrapped as a concept. It’s best if everyone just moves on.

If this is true then it really just shows how pathetic zos really is. So many players have been looking forward to this for so damn long and if they just scrapped it without saying anything then its just pathetic. Thats the only word i can describe it as.

It makes sense. Its also pathetic to ignore pvp performance for years. But this might be even worse. They told the community multiple times that it was coming. Then just to decide to trash the idea without mentioning it at all just to keep stringing people along. Same with cyrodil. Stringing people along to make money. They could have easily told us it was scrapped. But hopefully this image is wrong, but i wouldnt count on it.. Not telling us seems like something zos would do, but i would love to be proven wrong.

Its okay, many of us will not forget how you treat this community and will think twice before putting time and money into your next game.
    Edited by eso_lags on January 3, 2019 6:15AM
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

Agree. A class rep on discord says NO.
    A ZoS employee on twitter says YES.
    Which is it....???????
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess at the end of the day we just need to wait for an Official announcement.

I've been looking forward to it, could really change all classes around but it could only ever be released when the next chapter is Skyrim and we get the College of Winterhold.

As much as I want all areas of Skyrim in ESO I'm leaning towards Elsweyr being the next chapter, there is just so many hints from Summerset and recent crown store items coming out for the area right now.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if not Spellcrafting, what will be the major selling point of the upcoming Chapter?

There are no more professions to be implemented so a lame skill line won't be enough. We obviously won't get any new races either so... what's there next to Spellcrafting that could make it into the upcoming Chapter and be the main selling point?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Well, if not Spellcrafting, what will be the major selling point of the upcoming Chapter?

There are no more professions to be implemented so a lame skill line won't be enough. We obviously won't get any new races either so... what's there next to Spellcrafting that could make it into the upcoming Chapter and be the main selling point?

• Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ an anatomical descriptor
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psijic Order sends you to Winterhold up in Skyrim to investigate some kind of magic going ons at College of Winterhold where you will learn SPELLCRAFTING. In Summerset, go to Writ drop off and see an 8th stack there for dropping off writs-just before Provisioning. I think spellcrafting will also be a crafting writ too.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    Psijic Order sends you to Winterhold up in Skyrim to investigate some kind of magic going ons at College of Winterhold where you will learn SPELLCRAFTING. In Summerset, go to Writ drop off and see an 8th stack there for dropping off writs-just before Provisioning. I think spellcrafting will also be a crafting writ too.

Seriously? This sounds awesome
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its apparent many adamantly hate the idea, but frankly I feel like all of the reasons against are akin to jumping at shadows. Bringing Spellcrafting to the game would open up an appropriate avenue for so many other features so many have been begging for:
    • Necromancers: Necromancy is just a subschool of conjuration.
    • Combat pets for all classes, through using the "permanency" rune on conjuration spells.
    • AOE Taunt: They could easily add a Frenzy spell variant that makes the target only attack the caster. Add the "AOE" rune and Boom! We will all have access to ESO's first AOE taunt!
    • More elemental spells. I know, like many, I've been hoping to get more frost spells for my Frost Warden.
    • More healing options for all classes. Opening fantastic options for those that enjoying playing healers with less traditional classes.

If you've ever wanted these things, than what you really want is Spellcrafting because its the path to making it all happen. Simply put, there would be no better way for ESO to continue to grow then by adding Spellcrafting.

A few other notes addressing some of the balance issues Spellcrafting will face:
    • Spellcrafting, despite its immense versatility, would be very easy to keep balanced as long as its approached from the perspective of keeping it more expensive resource-wise than your average Class and Weapon skills. It purpose should be to help fill in the gaps for whatever your particular build is missing, albeit at a higher cost.
    • Spellcrafting could easily be set up to affect all Attribute-choices (Mag, Stam, or Health builds) equally by starting with all base spells using either Magicka or Stamina, as most appropriate for each, then adding a glyph option to "flip" their resource cost to its opposite, requiring an additional cost of said resources to help balance it. Another glyph could be used to instead convert any base spell to costing Health, effectively turning them into "blood magic".
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thought I've been having concerning Spellcrafting, should it ever be added, is how to specifically handle Necromancy given that all of the major groups that work with and teach magic use consider it and its use abhorrent.

Due to this common theme of "normal" spellcrafters despising it, Necromantic spells should not be included with any initial Spellcrafting system. Instead, it should be introduced immediately after in its own DLC, similar to how the Dark Brotherhood was added with its own DLC. Functionally, it would be identical to all other spells and spellcrafting, but deserves being set apart due to its very unique subculture of followers.

Alternatively, some necromantic order could be set up as the major "badies" of the Spellcrafting chapter, which could provide access to their spells through the progression of the story. Some sort of classic "fight fire with fire" storyline.

Out of the two, I'd prefer the first option, but both would introduce it in a way that would be much more lore-friendly than just lumping it in with "normal" spells.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting is never going to happen. Any spellcrafting system versatile enough to be useful will be impossible to balance and any system that can be balanced will be too restrictive to be useful. Just let it go people.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lags wrote: »

If this is true then it really just shows how pathetic zos really is. So many players have been looking forward to this for so damn long and if they just scrapped it without saying anything then its just pathetic. Thats the only word i can describe it as.

It makes sense. Its also pathetic to ignore pvp performance for years. But this might be even worse. They told the community multiple times that it was coming. Then just to decide to trash the idea without mentioning it at all just to keep stringing people along. Same with cyrodil. Stringing people along to make money. They could have easily told us it was scrapped. But hopefully this image is wrong, but i wouldnt count on it.. Not telling us seems like something zos would do, but i would love to be proven wrong.

Its okay, many of us will not forget how you treat this community and will think twice before putting time and money into your next game.

Should be mentioned, this conversation was done WAY before the reps signed NDA.
    Also should be mentioned, I hope everyone asked the rep if they could post that info on the forums lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool but there are two big "NO" imho:

1. Inventory management:
    In short, if you want to do crafting daily quests on more than one character you either have to use your bank space to keep crafting materials or go for your wallet and buy ESO+ to have access to Craft Bag.
    The default bank space, if you keep all crafting materials in your bank (only top tier + motif materials) is something like 236 / 240 slots occupied by crafting mats.
    Spell crafting without a doubt will add a huge chunk of new crafting mats and at this point the bank will be simply too small to keep all of them.

2. Balance:
    Ok, in short it much depends on what "spells" we will able to craft, but imagine this (especially in PvP):
    DK or Warden with access to cloak.
    NB with access to negate
    Sorc with access to Incap
    Warden with DK wings etc.

ZOS has trouble balancing what we have now in game and adding new stuff will only make it worse
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 3, 2019 9:21PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, when did balance even matter as an argument?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool but there are two big "NO" imho:

1. Inventory management:
    In short, if you want to do crafting daily quests on more than one character you either have to use your bank space to keep crafting materials or go for your wallet and buy ESO+ to have access to Craft Bag.
    The default bank space, if you keep all crafting materials in your bank (only top tier + motif materials) is something like 236 / 240 slots occupied by crafting mats.
    Spell crafting without a doubt will add a huge chunk of new crafting mats and at this point the bank will be simply too small to keep all of them.

2. Balance:
    Ok, in short it much depends on what "spells" we will able to craft, but imagine this (especially in PvP):
    DK or Warden with access to cloak.
    NB with access to negate
    Sorc with access to Incap
    Warden with DK wings etc.

ZOS has trouble balancing what we have now in game and adding new stuff will only make it worse

In regards to point #2 i don’t think it will be like that with classes being able to mix and match but even still, if all the classes had the same availability to craftable spells as the other classes, then it would go along way to balance the game, you would just have to rebalance the passives. It would make classes less important overall
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    eso_lags wrote: »

Should be mentioned, this conversation was done WAY before the reps signed NDA.
    Also should be mentioned, I hope everyone asked the rep if they could post that info on the forums lol.

Probably not. And who knows maybe this isnt a rep. Regardless I would love for this to be wrong.

It seems like something they would do. Both scrapping it and not telling us its been scrapped. But not telling us is so much worse.

People can say " its never coming" all they want but the fact is that it was supposed to be coming in the future. People didnt imagine this. This information was from zos. Its one thing to scrap it but its a completely different thing to scrap it and not tell us.

And tbh the game needs something like this. So many people get scared about balance when it comes to spell crafting or new classes but when have we ever had balance?
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

Agree. A class rep on discord says NO.
    A ZoS employee on twitter says YES.
    Which is it....???????

What employee said yes on twitter and when? Like i said above this was something that was always supposed to come to this game so i wouldnt be surprised if someone had said something about it on twitter in the past..
    Edited by eso_lags on January 4, 2019 7:44AM
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrafting would be a great addition to the game and would help immensely in recreating the “play as you want” feel present in other elder scrolls games... as far as the mag vs stam balance arguement goes, stamina morphs could actually be introduced in the forms of poison, disease, wind, or physical “spell archetypes”... think of the possibilities here... viable healing magic on a dragon knight? actual ice magic on a warden that doesn’t scale off of health for once? poison or wind abilities to flesh out the stamdk and stamsorc toolkits? the return of staple elder scrolls spells such as paralysis, oak flesh, muffle, summon flame/frost atro, and chain lightning? balance would be a bit rocky at first but could definitely be accomplish by zos in due time with a little common sense and careful tuning of resource costs and damage/healing/utility values... furthermore this system could lay down the foundation for continuous ability additions to the game in new patches, which would be a bit more rewarding than having several item sets introduced every single patch... last but certainly not least spellcrafting seems like it could become potentially become one of the most rewarding and game changing grinds in eso... think about it, your efforts unlocks an actual everlasting ability that could be crafted for your long time main, your thematic alts, or your friends toons... if the devs have seriously canned the idea then eso will have lost much of its future potential
    Edited by _Ahala_ on January 4, 2019 8:11AM
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This tweet from May 2017.... Yes from a ZoS employee...

The last official word on spellcrafting was on their twitter acount in 2017.

The last unofficial news on spellcrafting were new assets added earlier this year in one of the incremental Dragon Bone patches.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/83aau2/datamining_there_appears_to_be_some_new/[/quote]

Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't look forward to grinding for spellcrafting pages to put together in order to buy something and transmute it to the one OP spell everyone will be using. Meanwhile trashing or vendoring all the page piece drops for useless spells. I'm sure there will be a way to skip this and just buy the pages for crown gems or something but still. Not worth it if you ask me. It's like adding a grind just to add a few skills to the game. They do that with DLC'S minus the huge grind already.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those hoping for the addition of Spellcrafting, be aware that a teaser was recently mailed to one of the Twitch streamers. It contained a letter from Abnur Tharn addressed to the "Adventurer" describing new knowledge he's discovered and wishes to use to bring piece to Tamriel by ending the Three Banners War. With the letter was a broken tablet covered in runes that looks an awful lot like the old pics of broken Spellcrafting tablets, but with the addition of a dragon skull:

DwFrTK7XcAYEIgD.jpg:large

The full discussion can be found here: 3-Banners War Future Content Tease
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but if Spellcrafting were ever going to actually make it into the game it would have been with Summerset. There will probably never be another update more suited to house that new system.

College of Winterhold would work.

You're absolutely right. That could work. I doubt we'll be seeing Winterhold anytime soon though sadly.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think spellcrafting will ever be a thing with ESO. They already have a somewhat limited selection of abilities to use when you are speced for a specific role and any ability to craft your own homemade spell just sounds like a massive mess with very overpowered and out of control spells crafted.

If they did introduce it, it would have to be a very limited selection of spell recipes you could learn and they would need to do EXTENSIVE testing on these abilities, and we all know extensive testing on the PTS is something that almost never happens.

I would venture to guess the gear level cap would be raised before they considered spell crafting.
    Edited by itsfatbass on January 8, 2019 8:33PM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~