Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on January 24, 2019 3:02AM
So... any thoughts, or is anyone else experiencing this sort of issue?
I'm seeing more and more ESO game crashes over time, and especially since Murkmire came out. These can be either a crash with a "can you tell me what you were doing" popup diagnostic box, or the game can sometimes just close unexpectedly and leave me on the desktop instead. FYI, I typically run my game fullscreen, with a Chrome or Edge browser open in the background, and occasionally switch between them. This is normally not an issue with 16GB and SSD hard disks (with Windows 10). I'd suspect my Norton antivirus, except that I do have exclusions for the live and the Program Files (x86) game folders.
I'm typically seeing a crash every 3-4 hours
or so, but it is not predictable - they are almost random. I do writs on 9 toons, and other activities on five of them, with a variety of classes, factions, and almost all races, and the crashes are not specific to any. That said, I've seen crashes mostly in the following situations:
- Dungeon or trial boss and trash fights. Ok, lots of in-game effects going on, maybe something gets overloaded somewhere.
- When leaving an instance of a dungeon or house. The game typically just disappears on me after displaying the zone load screen for a while, with no error message dialogue.
- When mousing over or scrolling through inventory items or in a trader or crafting UI screen. This issue occurs more often when a trading utility like MM or Arkadius' Trade Tools is enabled, so I have disabled that addon for most of my toons. I can't tell whether it is actually the addon or just that the game client cannot handle something in the process of looking up additional data about the items and then displaying it. I suspect the latter.
- When running or riding around at speed, with rapids enabled. This type of crash usually happens in cities, but can occur even in fairly quiet city zone areas, e.g. Shornhelm or outside Vivec (during an event when most players were elsewhere). It can happen with very few other players around, i.e. probably not related to player abilities or their effects.
- After being idle/AFK for 10 minutes or so (bio break etc., with a character still logged in). This might be some sort of background Windows 10 memory management issue, especially if the game is using a lot of RAM? (I haven't checked for memory leaks).
: I have not had any crashes from Battlegrounds (which one might think are effects-intensive), and I can't comment on Cyrodiil issues, since I don't PvP there much.
I have since discovered that one of my two 8GB memory modules is / was faulty - resulting in occasional (once a month or so) bluescreen crashes. I removed the faulty memory module but am still experiencing the same sorts of occasional ESO game crashes (a couple of times a day or so).
Update Jan 23
: the Nvidia GeForce driver update on January 15 appears to have resolved the issue.