Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

OUR ESO HOUSES ARE BEING VANDALIZED....Can someone PLEASE help us?

• Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lasertooth wrote: »
    I can provide 5 gamertags from both my guilds who have had their houses vandalized and completely destroyed, including the most recent player that had it done twice to her. I can provide at least 4 more gamertags of people in my guild who swear their default permissions keep resetting to a different setting than they used...

Just a heads up that this has to be an inside job. In order to visit another player's home, you have to either be on their friends list or in a guild with them. Technically you could also visit someone's home if you were currently grouped with them. There's simply no way to visit the homes of random players. So the most likely situation is someone in your guild is trolling the other players.

Any long term solutions to whatever is changing the housing permissions can only be addressed by ZOS, but there are a few things you could do to minimize the risk of this happening. Mainly, you can set one of your less precious homes to be your primary residence; unless you are currently online and in a particular non-primary home there is no way for anyone to visit it
    , not even if they are on your friends list or in a guild with you. Also, never log off while still grouped with players you don't know. Besides that, I recommend keeping your eyes on your primary residence settings to catch changes soon after they happen as well as on your guildies as you might be able to catch the troublemaker in the act.

Edit: I'm checking the in game Housing Settings now and see there is also a Banlist you can set for your homes where you can set induvial players or even whole guilds of yours so they are unable to visit your primary home. This is a great option as you can lock out any of your guilds or individual players in your guild which you don't know well in order to add an extra layer of security.

If you and your friends affected by this were crafty with how you used your Housing Ban settings, and your housing troll continues their antics, you could narrow down who the culprit is through process of elimination. To help increase the chances of catching them, I'd suggest leaving one of your homes you don't care about as your Primary and purposely set to Decorator as bait. If you still get hit by the furniture bandit while all guilds but one are on the Ban list, you know which guild they are coming from. If you still get hit by them while half of the guild's players are on the Ban list, you just narrowed down who it is. Don't mistakenly rule players out just because you didn't get hit during a particular time. And don't mistakenly rule out a player as the culprit just because they said "they got hit, too"; speaking from experience elsewhere, that's a common tactic to remove suspicion. Good luck!
    Edited by Ertosi on December 24, 2018 6:28PM
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow
    People can be incredible crap bags

Hope this gets resolved soon.
    Unfortunately it's the holidays in the U.S. and a lot of ZoS staff off this week
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ThorLuthor
    ThorLuthor
    ✭✭
    This is terrible. As a temporary fix, can you set one of the free, tiny rooms as your main house, and leave it undecorated? Anonymous visitors can only go to your main house. When you want someone to see one of your decorated houses, group with them, travel to your chosen house and let the guest travel to you. I hope this gets fixed and that you are gifted a year of ESO Plus for your experience.
  • AnonomissX
    AnonomissX
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the amount of REAL WORLD MONEY we all spent, and continue to spend on the biggest homes and furnishings in the game - ZOS you had BETTER address this quickly!
    Ebonheart Pact, Nord Templar/healer on NA Xbox server. My main toon WAS a tall and foxy redhead - now she has been gamma-irradiated and has green skin and black hair. 3 other characters I only use for writs. Can't be bothered to create multiple toons - EXCEPT now my WW is getting spooled up for Cyrodiil - Blood For The Pact! IRL cranky sometimes redhead chick at large in Las Vegas, NV
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, just confirming we’ve seen this and will be investigating.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Bc_bmx
    Bc_bmx
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to reset my permissions after every update or server maintenance since the limited visitor option was added. Seems to reset to visitor, which is what I had it set to prior to murkmire. Possible that it's not being stored properly during times the server is being updated?
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned earlier a log book would be a most useful feature to consider.

Then at least you would know who to block - though this absolutely should not be possible in the first place yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned earlier a log book would be a most useful feature to consider.

Then at least you would know who to block - though this absolutely should not be possible in the first place yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

"Guestbook" yes?
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three quick things to add:

(1) First and foremost, I am sorry that this happened to your friend's home and I hope that this doesn't deter her from playing in the future -- the Housing feature is quite awesome in this game in a lot of ways and I am confident that the developers are anxious to get new features in to help with make it even better so my advice to anyone on console for the time being is patience (easier said than done - I know, I know). <3

(2) If and when she does decide to come back, there is a feature that we have - I assume that it is available on Console as well - that allows you to set up a house's permissions perfectly and then copy those permissions into any house that you are currently in. So, if she sets up her Psijic VIlla's permissions perfectly -- accounting for all of the tabs:

- General
    - Visitors
    - Banlist
    - Guild Visitors
    - Guild Banlist

...she can then "clone" those permissions into every other house that she may own. She would have to port to each of her homes, and then use the "Load Permissions" option - available in the "Settings" (Gears) tab of the Housing Editor:

00qiqpt6j5wu.jpg

...from that dialog, just select the home that you are copying permissions FROM (let's say the Psijic Villa in her case):

dbzauv6dwdka.png

...and then rinse & repeat for each house. She could continue to copy FROM the Psijic Villa into each of her other homes, making sure that all of the settings are locked down however she likes.

(3) In spite of this event, I would like to wish you, your friend and your guild a Happy Holiday from the entire ESO Housing Community -- one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met through a game so I am sure that it's okay to do so on their behalf as well. <3

- @Cardinal05
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a systems engineering point of view, there has to be a last known good state of your house. I doubt that the housing table per player is overwritten immediately. Hopefully they have a roll back function that restores your hard work.

What i would do if you have gems or any of the new plants is make your default house the apartment room and put all the plants directly in front of the door and sink them under the floor.

Enough of them and the player will die without being able to turn it off or walk past it. You can make a kill loop that locks them in your house.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a scary bug. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

There really should be a way for players or support to restore a house. I know there was an add-on before that remembered furniture placement for every piece in the house (not sure if it still exists).
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone in our guild was also vandalised. Hunter's Glade. The vandal moved all the trees and plants. Seriously??? What kind of sick socially dysfunctional misfit does this kind of thing. I hope ZOS does fix it. Ideally with a restore home function, and a logbook to see who entered, and who is moving things.
    PC EU.
    Edited by cyberjanet on December 25, 2018 5:14PM
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »
    I can provide 5 gamertags from both my guilds who have had their houses vandalized and completely destroyed, including the most recent player that had it done twice to her. I can provide at least 4 more gamertags of people in my guild who swear their default permissions keep resetting to a different setting than they used...
    Just a heads up that this has to be an inside job. In order to visit another player's home, you have to either be on their friends list or in a guild with them. Technically you could also visit someone's home if you were currently grouped with them. There's simply no way to visit the homes of random players. So the most likely situation is someone in your guild is trolling the other players.

I was under the impression that if someone in your guild, group, or friends list was visiting another player's house and you traveled to them, it could be possible to visit the home of someone you otherwise had no connection to. Like, if I see a guild member at the Psijic Villa and I travel to them, I could actually end up at a house belonging to an unrelated friend of theirs that they were visiting. But perhaps this isn't the case? Or depends on settings?
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    Someone in our guild was also vandalised. Hunter's Glade. The vandal moved all the trees and plants. Seriously??? What kind of sick socially dysfunctional misfit does this kind of thing. I hope ZOS does fix it. Ideally with a restore home function, and a logbook to see who entered, and who is moving things.
    PC EU.

If that is the case it is not just a console bug then ...

We should all be very concerned.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I may just make one of the unused inns until this gets sorted out, the thought of redecorating my place...just no. I hope you guys don’t have to deal with this nonsense for very much longer :/

(Way off topic, but OP, your guild trader is my go-to for furnishing plans because they are so abundant and fairly priced, so my crafter thanks you all.)
  • Florra
    Florra
    ✭✭
    On PC you don't have to be connected to the house owner by friends list or guild, just enough to have right add-on.
    Also on PC you have possibility to save your house with add-ons: SaveHouse or Essential Housing Tools.
    I hope this issue will be solved soon.
    Edited by Florra on December 25, 2018 9:21PM
    GM of Aetherius Art (PC EU)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, you should only be able to assign the role of decorator (of one, or all, of your houses) to a specific person, or persons, on your friends list.

It should not be a default option for each house.

I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary to allow absolutely anyone to decorate?

Except, possibly, if you wanted to see what would happen if you did...

Secondly, there should be an in-game furnishings save function, where you can return to a previous save you (or the game) made, before the decorator(s) changed anything.

Relying on addons is not good enough.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 25, 2018 10:30PM
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, house visit log for the last 100 players seems an easy fix.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lewd... Ya this is pretty odd. im not sure how someone could change a players settings for their house but til its resolved no access, no primary..
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, just confirming we’ve seen this and will be investigating.

thank you. it is a huge exploit that some n'wah can in 30 minutes ruin days worth of effort vandalizing a home.
  • Sylianwe
    Sylianwe
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

My advice would be to check your security and permission settings.
    Edited by Sylianwe on March 9, 2023 6:27PM
    The mind is a walled garden, even death can not touch the flowers blooming there 🌹
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS should be able to find out who destroyed the house by looking at the system logs. I’m not sure if they will be able to hand out much punishment because it sounds like a ESO bug that’s causing the issue with the permissions. Still, it’s crap that someone did this.
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone, for your helpful supportive comments. Thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno for commenting on a holiday to keep us updated, we are so lucky to have you as our community manager. <3 Your post has brought us a lot of relief.
    Malfoy wrote: »
    Hope ZOS can help you in this matter, what a vile thing to do.
    This is why I always have my security at the highest, I don't trust anyone, nor my guilds, nor do I trust random friends on my list.

I suggest you do the same, then this can't happen...

I really want to clarify for anyone who is just skimming through the posts/comments and perhaps not grasping the full severity of the situation.

There is NO way to protect your house right now. The person this happened to had all of her house permissions set to NO ACCESS. Not one guild was listed in her permissions settings. No player in the game should’ve been able to access her house at all.

The only way to protect your house right now is to set an empty apartment to your primary.
    LasertoothGM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity Xbox/NA
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really hope the outcome of ZOS's investigation is posted here. It would be good to know that if this was a bug and somebody exploited it, that they were banned!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lasertooth Might have missed this, but I would suggest that each of the affected players take a screen shot of their housing settings, then you it happens again, take another screen of the settings and provide both those with the ticket.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible, to have all your hard work ruined, and having to start from scratch :pensive: I hope ZOS can found out why it happened and fix it, and hopefully maybe restore the house as well, if such a thing is possible on their end. Also, I wish they would come up with a 'house back-up' feature in the editor, so console players could restore their decorations without addons. I really hope your friend doesn't get discouraged and give up on housing, and I hope ZOS comes back with good news on how to prevent something like this from happening ever again.
  • Funrukdurkha
    Funrukdurkha
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Why are some people such malicious arsehats?

I’ve noticed a number of times over the past year that changing perms in one house has altered perms in others (though never to Decorator, so far), on PC/NA. Definitely a glitch. Am so sorry to hear about your poor guildies, OP - that would be devastating. :(

We do need some kind of visitor log please, ZOS.

• Kimba_Do
    Kimba_Do
    ✭✭✭
    How about this for a 'quick fix': Instead of a blacklist, make it a whitelist. That way, no one that was not on the list could do any changing.
    Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with catsup.
    You're all just a bunch of pixels. Turn off the power and you cease to exist.
    White Lions. Bringing the jungle fame for over 50 years.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weedgenius wrote: »

I was under the impression that if someone in your guild, group, or friends list was visiting another player's house and you traveled to them, it could be possible to visit the home of someone you otherwise had no connection to. Like, if I see a guild member at the Psijic Villa and I travel to them, I could actually end up at a house belonging to an unrelated friend of theirs that they were visiting. But perhaps this isn't the case? Or depends on settings?

That is also true as I've been in one of my guild houses (owned by a guildie) and have had people I was crafting for teleport to me while grouped.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Rhoande
    Rhoande
    ✭✭
    weedgenius wrote: »

That is also true as I've been in one of my guild houses (owned by a guildie) and have had people I was crafting for teleport to me while grouped.

This is the case, however that means your default status is set to 'visitor' still. It's not applicable where your default settings are to NONE.

However, there's also PTF where people can port to you with virtually no connection, no friends list or guild required. They just need your @name and to know what house to port to. As far as I know though, it does require the house be on visitor status!

Whatever people are having happen to them in this thread, it sounds like the visitor status is NOT on, and that whomever is doing this should not have been able to access it whether or not they knew them or not, if the status was set to No Access.