The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tiles out of place in Snow globe house interfering with Carpet placement.

Ravenayle
Ravenayle
✭✭✭
I just got the snow globe house and I"m decorating it and discovered when trying to put a carpet down in the living area with Surface Drag on, that two tiles stick up through the rug. Has anyone else noticed this? I want the carpet flush to the floor so that couches and chairs will work properly.

I'm attaching screenshots. Has anyone else noticed this? Can this be corrected?

de33hxfux3w6.png
rmdsjaj63ivg.png
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laid carpet all over that area with no problems:

xvj3lvf5r5dg.png

However that was on the PTS, so maybe the flooring is structurally slightly different in the live servers.

Unfortunately it does happen a LOT in other houses too. It seems that the design people have deliberately created uneven floors, and this is maddening when you are trying to lay carpetrs and the floor clips through in various places. People have complained about it before, but nothing has ever been done, and is unlikely to.

The only thing to do is be creative about covering up the defect with a piece of furniture or another rug, or lift the carpet fractionally so that the tiles don't show. The down side to that though is that your feet will sink into the carpet when you walk on it, but you can minimise that effect.

One other thing you could try, which just came to me a minute ago, is to create a false floor with an Alinor Floor, Ballroom Timeworn. You can get this in the Housing Editor purchase tab, in the Structures/Platforms section quite cheaply. Flip it over to its smooth underside and sink it far enough into the existing floor so that it just covers the defects. Then lay your carpets over that, and your feet will not sink in.

Let us know how it goes :)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't noticed it specifically in there, as I haven't decorated it, yet.

However, as Aurelle says, this does happen quite often, in general.

Assuming they're not a lot higher than the rest of the tiles (which they, hopefully, aren't inside a house), you "just" have to:

a) Place the rug perfectly, with surface drag on (don't worry about the raised tiles, at this point).

To do this, put your char on walk and also crouch, if necessary, for even more control.

b) Back up as far as possible, while remaining on walk and crouch and squared up with the wall in front of you.

c) Pick up the rug (it will probably move quite a lot, temporarily - don't panic, it doesn't matter!), take surface drag off, then drop it back exactly where it was (using x).

d) Pick it up for a second time, ideally in the centre (or centre front), once surface drag is off, then drop it back exactly where it was, again (again, using x).

Do not move your char, or your cursor, after doing this, if at all possible.

e) Pick it up very gently for a fourth time - it shouldn't move at all, if you are grabbing it in the centre and haven't had to move the cursor.

f) Very gently and slowly, without moving your character, lift the rug (only) vertically, until it is just clear of the highest tile.

If you do this very carefully, it should be pretty hard to tell that it is not lying flat on the lowest parts of the floor.

I know this sounds unecessarily complicated, but it's the best way of making sure you only move the rug vertically and also, keep it as close to the top of tiles as possible.

Of course, it might be quite hard to do all this, in this kind of space.

In which case, you might have to move it horizontally slightly, at step e, as well as vertically.

The system can be a bit of a nightmare, quite frankly, especially in confined spaces.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 20, 2018 1:11PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep this is a thing in a LOT of houses. It astonishes me how often the team making these things just doesn't THINK about stuff that seems pretty obvious. And with the item caps it's awful that you have to use up a precious slot to deal with such a dumb defect. :(
    Edited by MornaBaine on December 20, 2018 3:16PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All redguard homes have this issue, and the tiles are raise so high that if you float the carpet above them, it's over your character's ankles. I've settled for carpets on the floor, with tiles poking through them.

The "worn" look is nice but if carpets are going to be 1 pixel thick, floors should be flat.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All redguard homes have this issue, and the tiles are raise so high that if you float the carpet above them, it's over your character's ankles. I've settled for carpets on the floor, with tiles poking through them.

The "worn" look is nice but if carpets are going to be 1 pixel thick, floors should be flat.

This is kind of surprising to me - I have all the Redguard houses, except House of the Silent Magnifico and haven't noticed that issue in any of them?

Just checked Hunding's and none of the rugs inside the house there have had to be placed higher than usual, none of them have tiles poking through and none of them cover my char's (a Bosmer's) toes; let alone reach her ankles.

I just tried moving them and if anything, the problem was preventing them disappearing under floor level, when placed, rather than having to lift them higher than normal to avoid raised tiles.

ETA: Just checked again and one corner of one large rug does cover her toes.

However, that is more a case of the floor being slightly lower under that corner, as opposed to being due to raised tiles anywhere else.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 22, 2018 8:36AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Yep this is a thing in a LOT of houses. It astonishes me how often the team making these things just doesn't THINK about stuff that seems pretty obvious. And with the item caps it's awful that you have to use up a precious slot to deal with such a dumb defect. :(

They should just make the rugs a bit thicker and then make it so the char walks on their surface, or (ideally) sinks into them, just a little, as you would in real life.

Either way, you could then raise the rug clear of the raised tiles, without it appearing to hover.

Or, rather, sink the rest of the rug below the level of the raised tile(s), so the bottom of it appeared to be lying on the rest of the floor.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

This is kind of surprising to me - I have all the Redguard houses, except House of the Silent Magnifico and haven't noticed that issue in any of them?

Just checked Hunding's and none of the rugs inside the house there have had to be placed higher than usual, none of them have tiles poking through and none of them cover my char's (a Bosmer's) toes; let alone reach her ankles.

I just tried moving them and if anything, the problem was preventing them disappearing under floor level, when placed, rather than having to lift them higher than normal to avoid raised tiles.

ETA: Just checked again and one corner of one large rug does cover her toes.

However, that is more a case of the floor being slightly lower under that corner, as opposed to being due to raised tiles anywhere else.

House of the SIlent Magnifico is horrible, tiles poking up in the middle of rooms..
    I did have to move some rugs in Hunding's but not that many, mostly outdoors. Twin Arches its only in the corners IIRC.
    Princely Dawnlight doesn't count, as the floors are a different tile.

All "rough" floor usually have 1 spot where a board or tile pops up. If it's not in the center of the room it's not a problem.
    Did you want a big lush carpet for an outdoor tea party? Not without some stones "holding it down."
  • angelncelestine
    angelncelestine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine has the same tile that sticks up. It would be nice if they would fix it.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

House of the SIlent Magnifico is horrible, tiles poking up in the middle of rooms..

Knew there must be another reason I didn't buy it...

I thought it was just because it was too near the inn room to bother and the upstairs was just a narrow balcony.

But, apparently, I just somehow instinctively knew it had tile issues, lol. xD

Actually, was thinking of making it into a restaurant, with the galleried area just being for more seating (so, not worrying about trying to fit bedrooms in, at all)?

Would also mean the tile/rug thing would probably be less of an issue than it would in the case of a residential house.

As most of it would be broken up into smaller areas, with a kitchen, a bar, a few smaller seating areas and, obviously, lots of individual dining tables and chairs.

By the way, the worst tile issue I have noticed is on the terrace of the Alinor Townhouse.

Just had to stick a small rug in between the multiple raised tiles, in front of the grassy, garden area.

I don't mind it too much outside, as you kind of expect raised tiles in an old, outdoor setting.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 24, 2018 1:07AM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Place them with the surface cling (forget the actual name) off and move them up ever so slightly. Fixes that issue and looks fine

It is likely intentional design to make floors appear more realistic. Can be slightly frustrating until you know what to do. Happens in many houses. Seems like some houses have the collisions set on the wrong points of the floor.
    Edited by notimetocare on December 24, 2018 6:01AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, ZOS has an obsession with dilapidated homes. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to raise carpets above the floor to get around the head-scratchingly obnoxious and deliberate unevenness.Or to spend hours trying to make your house look fresh and new, and yet there's nothing you can do about the crumbling walls and piles of rubble spoiling your hard work.

There are plenty of times I've been previewing a home, and the sheer amount of built in wreckage has made it easy to save the gold or crowns. The Xanmeer house has some fabulous features, but the fact that it looks like a bomb has gone off in parts of the house makes it an easy pass for me.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.