The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Launcher stops responding during installation

syntaxsue_ESO
syntaxsue_ESO
✭✭
I was experiencing an issue with the launcher freezing while trying to install the Summerset Digital Collector's Edition upgrade, so I followed instructions found on the Support pages to reset the Program Data folder found inside the Launcher folder. Unfortunately I'm still experiencing an issue where the launcher stops responding at only 2% completion of the file verification stage. I'm tempted to use the uninstall program and delete everything and start over from scratch, but I wanted to ask first if there was an easier or better solution first.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try making sure the Launcher is allowed by your firewall first. Same with any AV. Also, run the Launcher as an Administrator. Finally, if you have a hardware firewall, open the ports the game wants with Port Triggering:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1133/kw/
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• syntaxsue_ESO
    syntaxsue_ESO
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I would try making sure the Launcher is allowed by your firewall first. Same with any AV. Also, run the Launcher as an Administrator. Finally, if you have a hardware firewall, open the ports the game wants with Port Triggering:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1133/kw/

This was all ready done prior to the resetting the Program Data folder, however I could have done something wrong considering I didn't have any pictures for reference and with differences in wording depending on what OS is being used, etc. mistakes could have been made in port forwarding, but I really don't have a way to verify if it's correct or not.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forwarding is a more complicated way to do this, Triggering is easier, if your firewall supports it. What I do is google the make and model of router or firewall and "port triggering" for details.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also: (Which you may have already tried)

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37392/kw/Launcher stops responding

Have you rebooted your PC in between attempts?

• syntaxsue_ESO
    syntaxsue_ESO
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Also: (Which you may have already tried)

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37392/kw/Launcher stops responding

Have you rebooted your PC in between attempts?

Yeah, that's the page I got the info from to troubleshoot this, and yes I did reboot the PC. I tried it one more time and it got to as far as 5% files verified and then stopped responding again. I also called my ISP and this newest generation of modem doesn't have any way to forward ports because it's done automatically (on demand) or some such that they tried to tell me. I dunno if I believe that, but it's proprietary for this cable provider so I can't get around it short of buying my own modem/router.

It's a bit frustrating because the game was running just fine prior to the upgrade, so I guess if doing all other things suggested doesn't fix this, then the only option left is to uninstall and reinstall. Is there anything I should know before doing that? Like saving copies of certain files for my characters, progress, saves, account settings, etc.?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saves are on the Servers, settings are in My Documents in the obviously named folder. My concern is you may have the same issue on a reinstall. I did have a major frustration this week as my game completely reset. It worked, then an hour later, the game acted like I had never played it. I had to agree to like 5 TOS agreements, and all my addons were borked. Of course, this happened just as I was logging in for a guild event of all things.

Anyway, several curse words and about 45 minutes of threatening various things, I got it all back up and running the way it should. Only my headphones now only do Mono, so those are ruined. Just sharing so you know that your not the only one with game frustration this week.

Have you allowed the game in the Windows Firewall? In fact, disable that, and any Anitvirus you have to see if that sorts it.