Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Aetherial Dust A Myth?

Perwulf
Perwulf
✭✭✭✭✭
I remember getting 2x of these last year in just hours of node farming but recently since I started node farming again, I didn't get a single dime. I already sold almost 2.5 million worth of mats and not one Aetherial Dust is in my crafting bag. What am I missing? I farm at khenarthi's roost if that counts.
"Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"

Best Answer

• Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »
    It happens occasionally. They are very rare. I have only ever gotten one.

Damn if that's so rare then market price is unjustified. I could just easily buy it than hope for rng.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Perwulf wrote: »
    I remember getting 2x of these last year in just hours of node farming but recently since I started node farming again, I didn't get a single dime. I already sold almost 2.5 million worth of mats and not one Aetherial Dust is in my crafting bag. What am I missing? I farm at khenarthi's roost if that counts.

I've found three; that's with 15 characters on one account, and 7 on a second, since the stuff first showed up in the game. Rng gremlins are fickle little sobs.....

And yes, I sold all of them for around 72-75k each. Then promptly spent the gold on motifs I was missing......
    Edited by JKorr on December 20, 2018 1:18PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "myth" is a misnomer. A myth is often based in fact. The dust is a figment of the imagination, which does not have to be based in fact. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "myth" is a misnomer. A myth is often based in fact. The dust is a figment of the imagination, which does not have to be based in fact. :smile:

Except that figments of the imagination are something imagined or created by your own mind, and Aetherial Dust is clearly created by the fickle whims of ZOS' RNG gods.

Nor have I imagined the gold I got from selling the 4 or 5 I've gotten from farming - because if it were my imagination, I'd surely have imagined more.

If the "myth" is based in fact, and the fact is that some people - just not the OP - have gotten Aetherial Dust from farming (I got mine in Stros mkai, Bal Foyen, Bangkorai, and Deshaan), then while the OP may feel that Aetherial Dust is "mythical", there is actual facts on which it is based, and thus for those of us who have gotten it, it is not mythical but factual.

Wow, that's a long way to say that Aetherial Dust is rare and RNG sucks and that farming a bunch doesn't guarantee you any.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found one in two years. RNG is cruel :|
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've found 1 in all my time playing I farm mats occasionally and I can't remember if one ever dropped for me
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    You know what the funny thing is? Khenarthi is the place where I found 2 ever since they made it so you’re able to find it in nodes 😂. It’s just rng. I can’t even remember when I found them because it’s been so long and I haven’t seen one again out in the wild. 🤔

But let’s talk about how rare that cypher is 😨
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some last week... I just can't be arsed to put it up for sale.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 10, most of them in the last few months. Don't ask me where I got them though as I have no idea. They just turn up in my crafting bag. I'm also a fairly casual harvester, just picking up nodes as I pass by on my way somewhere. I have no cypher though, so RNGeesus is just teasing me again.
    PC EU
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get an Aetherial Dust every 4-6 months farming 2-4 hours per day.

That said, market price is WAY too low, but since Mythic Ambrosia doesn't sell well, no one wants dust.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on December 21, 2018 2:08PM
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had 2 dusts and regularly farm mats, do surveys.

Also never had a cipher drop - RNGs not in my favour!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that figments of the imagination are something imagined or created by your own mind, and Aetherial Dust is clearly created by the fickle whims of ZOS' RNG gods.

Nor have I imagined the gold I got from selling the 4 or 5 I've gotten from farming - because if it were my imagination, I'd surely have imagined more.

If the "myth" is based in fact, and the fact is that some people - just not the OP - have gotten Aetherial Dust from farming (I got mine in Stros mkai, Bal Foyen, Bangkorai, and Deshaan), then while the OP may feel that Aetherial Dust is "mythical", there is actual facts on which it is based, and thus for those of us who have gotten it, it is not mythical but factual.

Wow, that's a long way to say that Aetherial Dust is rare and RNG sucks and that farming a bunch doesn't guarantee you any.

A really long way when you consider I was just being sarcastic. :smiley:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill sell you mine if your on PS4 125k for 2 aetherial dust
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paul_j wrote: »
    You know what the funny thing is? Khenarthi is the place where I found 2 ever since they made it so you’re able to find it in nodes 😂. It’s just rng. I can’t even remember when I found them because it’s been so long and I haven’t seen one again out in the wild. 🤔

But let’s talk about how rare that cypher is 😨

Yep, found my first 2 there too then nothing after that.
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Ill sell you mine if your on PS4 125k for 2 aetherial dust

PC NA, but I'm not looking to buy. I just realized that I'm not getting any dust after millions worth of mats sold already and it bugs me.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A really long way when you consider I was just being sarcastic. :smiley:

Tone, on the internet, is a hard thing to interpret. Mea culpa.

In my defense, the forums keep breaking my sarcasm detectors.
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »
    It happens occasionally. They are very rare. I have only ever gotten one.

Damn if that's so rare then market price is unjustified. I could just easily buy it than hope for rng.

Yes, I wouldn't bother farming it. Just buy it. @Perwulf
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 in inventory right now, can confirm not a myth.

I do hours and hours of farming during eso+ free promotions to stock up my temporary craft bag. I usually pick up a couple during those marathon sessions.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing about a year and a half now and just found my first one the day before yesterday. Now if I could only find the recipe that goes with it lol.
  • midgetfromtheshire
    midgetfromtheshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found all four since Summerset. I knew I had three so was surprised when I found one extra!

g2XRSaE.png
    Edited by midgetfromtheshire on December 22, 2018 2:09PM
    Get rid of faction locks.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    I think the last one I found was early november, but I also know that I'd found at least 3-4 others over the past year and a half or so. for a while, I was in a guild that I supported by offering the dusts to someone who could make the potions, and then the potions would go in the auction. That's no longer the case, so likely enough, I'll merely sell the things when I find them.

@Alassirana
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised when I got one from a crafting survey. I thought they didn't drop from surveys, I guess they do,
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never gotten a single one ...
    sad2.gif
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    I was surprised when I got one from a crafting survey. I thought they didn't drop from surveys, I guess they do,

I like to stack my surveys hence earning more than 2.5mil worth of farmed mats but still not a single dime of dust from surveys.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    the real question is: is the cipther a myth?
    PC-EU @lientier
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    lientier wrote: »
    the real question is: is the cipther a myth?

in my book the cipher is rare but not a myth, as i have gotten one...instead, for me it's the dust that's a myth, because i've never gotten a single one, and i play regularly every day...<g>

• WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    I have 1 dust, which I found a month or so ago. I've had guildies who've gotten some while farming as well. It's just super rare.
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    Aetherial Dust A Myth?

I remember thinking that about the famed aetheric cipher. That is, until I checked my inventory on one of my characters and realised that she had this mythich cipher in her inventory. Things exist. It just depends on if you are lucky or not.

Think I got that cipher from killing that white ckeever on the way back to the Verrant Morass wayshrine after xp leveling in Greenshade. Just keep on doing what you are doing, you'll find what you are looking for.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm averaging about .9 dusts found per 1000 hours played :|
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    I'm averaging about .9 dusts found per 1000 hours played :|

Oh, that's good... I'm on .667 per 1000 hours :(