Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

At what price does housing become too expensive for you?

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    0 - 10
    Bought Tel Galen with crowns from a sale, so payed 15 usd for it. Totally worth it, considering all the nice hours I´ve spent there, decorating and hanging out. But would never pay more than 10k crowns (only bought through sales, otherwise they are a rip off, as I see it) for a digital item.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    20 - 50
    My issue is relativity!!
    If a Chapter costs €40 how could ZOS possibly justify charging over €100 for a notable home? It beggars belief, it is utterly unjustifiable and this level of greed will ultimately be the ruination of housing if not the game!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's an overly biased poll. Where is the 'I buy whatever I want but find the goose steps from egalitarianism morally repugnant in an environment that's supposed to be a release from the realities of life?'

If I can't play with my friends because the game has become a reflection of reality, everyone loses.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no limits, I will spend whatever I think is worth it for me
    ESO's my only real entertainment expense. I don't go to movies, or bars, or concerts, and I don't buy DVDs or expensive electronics. So, I pretty much buy whatever I want in ESO.

Not saying you said this, OP, but I've always found it funny that people who spend $100 on a virtual house they can use for years are judged so harshly, but if you go spend $300 on concert tickets for a few hours of entertainment everyone just accepts it as a fun time.

Entertainment is entertainment!

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I get a lot of use out of housing... it's a part of the game that I an lose entire weekends to. So for me, a certain amount of expense is worth it.

And like bellatrixed, I don't really have other entertainment expenses, except maybe my monthly $12 to Netflix. Considering I spend at least a few hours a night in ESO, the cost-to-entertainement ratio of ESO is fantastic... much more than a movie or sports ticket. So yeah, I'm happy to make the occasional large purchase, since I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.

Though I wouldn't necessarily say my spending is *limitless*... I do need to justify each purchase for myself, such as having an alt who would use a particular house or mount. It's why I recently splurged on the Clockwork City house when it was on sale, because one of my alts is a Dwemer-loving scholar... but even though I loved the werewolf cave I couldn't justify getting it, because my WW was at home in a different alliance than the Pact.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saved up the Gold to buy Daggerfall Overlook, then after visiting a friends version of the home, quickly realised that it would cost a fortune to furnish.
    Being the severely impatient person I am, I ended up buying the home for £, and using the 3 Million I had saved up in game to furnish it 'properly'.

Since then I haven't bought anything with real cash - But I do sub each month and tend to use the crowns I get to buy more furnishings for other houses.
    I have since acquired the Coldharbour estate, and Psijic Villa, which should be enough to keep me busy for a good few months. I doubt I would pay cash for another house, however impressive it was.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 - I would not spend any amount of money on this aspect of the game
    I don't spend crowns to buy homes. Firstly, because there are better things to spend my crowns on. Secondly, because I only buy unfurnished small or medium homes. I only use small and medium homes, and regard furnishing them as part of game play. Small and medium homes can be bought with gold, so why would I spend crowns on them.

This
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 - I would not spend any amount of money on this aspect of the game
    When it costs Crowns
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spending 3.75 mil for a house with no furniture with the Serenity Estate is where I looked at housing and said this is ridiculous.
    Account: @Delsana
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    0 - 10
    I bought Mournoth Keep with crowns (from ESO+), otherwise all my other homes are from gold.

I have been very tempted to buy crowns for the New Life furniture, or the place in Riften, but that would be around 11,000 crowns, or $130CDN. I cannot personally justify that.
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    My issue is relativity!!
    If a Chapter costs €40 how could ZOS possibly justify charging over €100 for a notable home? It beggars belief, it is utterly unjustifiable and this level of greed will ultimately be the ruination of housing if not the game!

I've seen this comment before, and while I don't disagree that some of the houses are quite expensive (and much more than I'm willing to spend), comparing fluff items to DLC is problematic. Housing is designed to generate revenue, like all the other fluff items in the Crown Store. This keeps the price of DLC where it is. I'm certain everyone would complain if the cost of DLC were higher to generate the revenue that a cheap crown store would necessitate.

People also forget that the point of sale is when you buy crowns. The crowns you buy are to support the game. Then, those crowns are redeemed for in-game digital goods designed to enhance your play experience. But, I would agree that the redemption ratio is pretty high.

I think most of the notable houses are too expensive, so I don't buy them. But, I did purchase Tel Galen at 10K furnished. I've also bought Amaya Lake Lodge and Alinor Town House furnished. All other houses were for gold, except the apartments, which I bought at 800 crowns each furnished - the price of less than 2 months ESO+. I've also purchased a few furnishing packs (Vivec, Dibella, Sotha Sil). But, I don't buy ala carte from the housing editor, so everything else in my houses has been either crafted by me or purchased from NPC vendors/guild traders.

In a game without a required sub, the cash shop is going to be expensive. If we had a required sub, I think the CS would be more reasonable or possibly not even exist. But then, I think they'd have a lot less people playing.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preferences and budgets.