Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The furniture item cap is a lie

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    It is not for unknown reasons as OP suggests. They have spoken on the subject.

Anyone who has paid attention to my posts knows I am not an "apologetic player" for Zos and certainly am not a blind fanboy, but Zos has clearly chosen to set these limits.

Unfortunately OP has chosen to be melodramatic in their discussion to create a false illusion that Zos has indicated the
    game would explode". When using such erroneous information it distracts from everything.

Yes, it would be great if Zos would increase the cap. However, threads like this, based on inaccurate imagery, should be ignored by Zos and probably will be.

They would be silly to ignore the whole thread, just because the OP is a little annoyed about the (ongoing) situation.

People have still given their honest opinions - they would be wise to read all of them, if possible.

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it has to do with being able to have the max number of items and still be able to use the home with the minimum system requirements which are:

Windows 7 64-bit; Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620.
    3GB System RAM.
    85GB free HDD space.
    DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 460 / AMD Radeon™ 6850) or higher.
    DirectX compatible sound card.
    Internet broadband connection.

The thing of it is, how many people who play ESO actually have such minimum requirements? Seems to me that they could raise the system requirements allowing more furniture items without alienating too many players.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @R_K You did your little test with things that have no collision, on a machine which reaches the officially recommended requirements (I presume, because you didn't post whole setup), with maybe 3 players present and you think it proves anything? Well, it proves one thing, you have no idea what are you talking about, for sure.
    As for the OP - when you offend one of the most respected members of this community you only make yourself look like a toddler trying to argue with an elephant. Just in case, @Nestor: elephants are very intelligent an majestic AF ;)
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    R_K wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    None of the threads I see on the item cap, including this one, are talking about how they have 1000 pieces of furniture and no place to put it. People complain about not being able to put more that the 300 to 700 items we currently have a cap on.

So, no it is not a ploy to sell more houses, especially as there are 15, or more zones worth that have houses that sell for in game gold. In other words, this would be the stupidest marketing strategy to sell more houses. It makes no sense. I have seen some dumb marketing in my 55 years on this planet, but this would be up/down there with New Coke.

I also have to wonder how much this limit is a real problem for most folks. I have the Daggerfall Overlook and I use it for a warehouse. I have 700 items in there, and I don't really know where I could put something else and see it. And have it aethestically pleasing. I am sure there is a bunch of small clutter people want to fill their houses with, so it's not inconcievable that some could use more slots.

Now, instead of accusing ZOS of some unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that requires them to be mean uncaring individuals cackling over the plight of their customers, request something that can be done. Be constructive. The performance issue is real, no matter how much you don't want it to be. Because that just deflates the ZOS devs are meanies argument. And no one has yet show a fully loaded house with a full load of players and dueling going on.

Instead, ask for interiors to be seperate cell loads from exteriors. Then there can be more furniture in a house. Yes you get a cell load, but it is a small price to pay for a solution that can be implimented in days or weeks and does not require a complete overhaul of the engine.

@Nestor Two suggestions: Consider the tone of your public forum replies given your role and use spell check.

I agree with @R_K , You're way out of line, @Nestor .

First of all, it's not my *** job to tell ZOS how to code their game. I, along with a hundred other players, have brought up this issue consistently, since it is the plague of the housing system, and since it essentially cripples the amount of fun we could have had with housing. And considering that making a house look pretty is currently the ONLY real function of housing, it's not unreasonable to be harping on this. We bring up the problems from a player perspective, it's ZOS' job to fix it, not mine.

Secondly, have you been living on Mars? "I own Daggerfall mansion, I use it as a warehouse, I have no problem with the item limit". Well duh, the 90 % of the housing community DOES have a huge problem with it. Just look at the vast amount of threads about it, just talk to the people who are into decorating, and EVERYONE will tell you that the limit is a HUGE problem in the majority of the houses we have available.

Thirdly, like I already said, your guess as to why they have a limit of 700 is as good as mine, considering that ZOS has been completely silent about the issue. And no, me ascribing them some kind of ulterior motive isn't that far fetched, considering that pretty much EVERYTHING about housing is designed to milk the most out of this precious cash cow.
    Maybe we would be speculating less if ZOS actually came out and TALKED about this stupid item limit cap instead of trying to ignore it hoping that it will just go away on its own.

The only thing contructive about your post is the suggestion for load screens between various housing subzones, and I'm perfectly ok with that, as are many other players. And again, it's not my job to hand out solutions to ZOS, it's THEIR damn job do that.

Oh, man! You are so right! I think it´s about time ZOS gives us a real answer.
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    It would be interesting if console-users tried the same experiment, and reported the results on this thread. I would be willing to bet that apart from the inevitable occasional poor performance across the platforms, the results would be much the same as yours.

So, let me tell you about:

ihjhra2237b4.png

The Omni Throne.

Long story short, I've been using my free psijic villa for overflow furnishing storage on Xbox NA. I had just under a thousand daedric skull thrones that somebody gave me, and when I started putting them down I noticed a massive FPS drop once I got around 30 of them placed...

...so I decided to stack 600 daedric skull thrones inside each other, and leave the other 100 spaces for storing random furnishings. Mostly stuff I got from the Witchmother's Festival. As for the results?

https://youtu.be/agCL3B1Ga80

It tanks your FPS just by looking at it, even from a distance. That long pause at around 0:43? That was my framerate dropping to 0. Seems to be a specific problem with the daedric skull thrones though. As you can see I don't have that issue with the piles of other furnishings I've got laying around that place.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    I think it has to do with being able to have the max number of items and still be able to use the home with the minimum system requirements which are:

3GB System RAM.
    85GB free HDD space.
    DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 460 / AMD Radeon™ 6850) or higher.

The thing of it is, how many people who play ESO actually have such minimum requirements? Seems to me that they could raise the system requirements allowing more furniture items without alienating too many players.

To put the minimum specs in some perspective ;

AMD A6-Series A6-3620 Released for sale Jan 2012

Intel core i3-540 Released for sale Jan 2010

AMD Radeon HD 6850 Released for sale Oct 2010

GeForce GTX 460 Released for sale Apr 2010

Zos is using minimum spec on technology most of which is close to 9 years old.

This needs addressing as i cant imagine any PC gamers would run a spec remotely close to this.

Edited by molecule on December 7, 2018 3:17PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    molecule wrote: »

3GB System RAM.
    85GB free HDD space.

This needs addressing as i cant imagine any PC gamers would run a spec remotely close to this.

A few might.

I have no idea how, though, as I (literally!) burn through about one gaming laptop in just over a year. :/

...but, some seem to manage it.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mr_Wolfe intriguing that the 600 Daedric Thrones kill your fps. I wonder why that should be.

But if you have the time and the inclination, I think we would all be most interested to see what happens to your fps with 600 normal and/or animated items scattered around.

It would also be useful to see the results from players duelling in a fully-furnished property. Although as only a proportion of players use their houses for duelling, in those circumstances it would be reasonable to make deciding how many items to place a matter of personal choice.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Wolfe wrote: »
    It tanks your FPS just by looking at it, even from a distance. That long pause at around 0:43? That was my framerate dropping to 0. Seems to be a specific problem with the daedric skull thrones though. As you can see I don't have that issue with the piles of other furnishings I've got laying around that place.

Hi @Mr_Wolfe ! First, thank you for taking the time to post that video to show us the issue first hand. I have a question, if you have the time. Would you be able to place those same thrones in a location that is not adjacent to water or any light source?

The reason that I ask is because the thrones have metallic material shading that, when combined with the water reflection calcs, may be causing that tremendous drop in framerate. It would be interesting to see the console's performance using the same number of stacked thrones in a location that doesn't involve so many reflection and specular lighting calculations.

<3
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it would be great if ZOS removed the item limits for one PTS cycle, and allowed us to try it out for ourselves to see how bad it is. Then, if their concerns are justified, we will understand, if not, then they have no more excuses :wink:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Anyone who has paid attention to my posts knows I am not an "apologetic player" for Zos and certainly am not a blind fanboy, but Zos has clearly chosen to set these limits.

Unfortunately OP has chosen to be melodramatic in their discussion to create a false illusion that Zos has indicated the
    game would explode". When using such erroneous information it distracts from everything.

Yes, it would be great if Zos would increase the cap. However, threads like this, based on inaccurate imagery, should be ignored by Zos and probably will be.

They would be silly to ignore the whole thread, just because the OP is a little annoyed about the (ongoing) situation.

People have still given their honest opinions - they would be wise to read all of them, if possible.

No. It would be silly to read through every thread just in case someone posted something compelling to consider. Some of these threads get very long saying the same thing over and over. Would be a waste of time.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used mods in Fallout 4 to get 10x the item limit and cannot move in those houses :lol: but people are not asking for 10x the limit here, they just want maybe 200 more items in the large houses, less in the others... ZOS should allow us to try it out for ourselves, it would be helpful to both us (so we stop complaining if they are correct) and them! Because maybe it won't be as bad as they think :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used mods in Fallout 4 to get 10x the item limit and cannot move in those houses :lol: but people are not asking for 10x the limit here, they just want maybe 200 more items in the large houses, less in the others... ZOS should allow us to try it out for ourselves, it would be helpful to both us (so we stop complaining if they are correct) and them! Because maybe it won't be as bad as they think :smile:

@Elara_Northwind Well put. :smile:
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

No. It would be silly to read through every thread just in case someone posted something compelling to consider. Some of these threads get very long saying the same thing over and over. Would be a waste of time.

We haven't all posted our views on this, over and over.

I'm quite new to the forums, for example.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not even asking for that.

50 more traditional slots (with ESO+) would do me and I'm even prepared to forgo 100 trophies to get them, lol.

Obviously, 100 more would be even better, but still.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tigerseye don't feed the troll. Since you're new, you probably don't know, but the user you're quoting is infamous here for commenting in almost every discussion, with nothing constructive and only negativity, as you can tell by his massively inflated post count and very few reactions. You're better off just ignoring him entirely.

@Elara_Northwind experimenting with the furniture limit on the PTS is a great idea. however, after more than 2 year of nothing but utter silence from ZOS on the matter, I'm becoming extremely disillusioned with them on this issue. They keep raising the cap for undaunted trophies, so we now have a massive 110(!) slots that can only be used for this trash, while having done nothing to engage with the community over the item slot issue. It baffles me how they can think people wish for them to essentially steal 110 item slots and decide for us that we can only use them for undaunted trophies.

The system makes no sense whatsoever. You can already tank your FPS to 0 - simply by placing 600 huge items, like giant trees or huge statues, on top of each other or in close vicinity. And you can place 700 cups and glasses around you, and hardly feel a single FPS drop. So ALREADY within the system there exists the possibility to massively lower your performance, while you can also decorate a house with 1200 items and hardly feel the difference. So how about making the USER take responsibility of how thye decorate their houses, while you explain to them that some items may tax their system more than others. It's nothing but utter bullcrap that I can't decorate my tables with plates and cups, or put clutter on my shelves, because someone else might have the stupid idea of putting 500 giant trees in his back garden.

Loading screens between subzones of a house is an old suggestion that would work, people have also suggested that the item slots take in account item size, such that you could decide between 1 huge items, or, say, 20 small or 40 tiny items. Put a cap over the item size, instead of treating every cup the same as a giant tree.

Once again, the community has put forth plenty of workarounds or possible solutions, and all we're met with is utter silence from ZOS, even when it's not our effing job to come up with the solutions anyway, that's THEIR job. But you know what? I passed on buying the Pariah's Pinnacle, the Linchal Manor, the Dawnlight Palace, the Brotherhood Sanctuary and many other homes, and I'll pass on buying the Xanmeer one as well, as well as any other giga-palaces they release in the future, and while the exorbitant prices is also a large part of me passing on these, the tiny item slot for houses such as these is definitely the largest factor.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again, the community has put forth plenty of workarounds or possible solutions, and all we're met with is utter silence from ZOS, even when it's not our effing job to come up with the solutions anyway, that's THEIR job. But you know what? I passed on buying the Pariah's Pinnacle, the Linchal Manor, the Dawnlight Palace, the Brotherhood Sanctuary and many other homes, and I'll pass on buying the Xanmeer one as well, as well as any other giga-palaces they release in the future, and while the exorbitant prices is also a large part of me passing on these, the tiny item slot for houses such as these is definitely the largest factor.

The lack of engagement with the community, let alone the lack of transparency, from ZOS on this issue has been extraordinarily annoying to me as well. I have also passed on several notable homes due to the inflated prices and the lack of sufficient item slots as well as the ridiculously low player caps. All of my notable homes, Earthtear Cavern, Daggerfall Overlook and Linchall Manor suffer from entire areas (notably the towers in both Overlook and Linchal) that I have been unable to put a single thing in because to do so would start taking away from the barely furnished areas I DO have. This is on ZOS. They need to fix it. They need to also be talking to us about what they are doing about fixing it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You forget that @ZOS read every post anyway, in case they need to be moderated.

• tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like the 2 "instances" per house, just click the house on the map says go to inside or outside, section 1 or 2, whichever way. I just wayshrine there anyways, i could teleport inside my house. They would have to work on some houses though, like figure out how to make coldharbour estate 2 zones (one up top, one on the bottom level below?), some houses that don't have an exterior, separate loads for 1st and 2nd floors, adding a door to separate rooms, etc... it would take some effort but would be worth it.

please no additional loading screens. im unhappy with the count of slots too, but would be way more unhappy with additional loadings creens. two instances would mean, it shows the exact same behaviour as if you port from a house to a different house. if that would happen when i go from my garden into the house, i would stop using it. as i never used the house where you already have a loading screen when you move to a different area (dont know the name, haksomthing great hall?).
    in that case i prefer to have only 700 items and wait for the devs to improve it in another way.

maybe i would be an option to move the undaunted normal-mode-trophy-slots to real slots. i would love to remove them and replace them with wanted items.i would still presets the vet-trophys, but placing both is wasted slots, agreed
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding loading screens....we already get one, albeit brief, when we go from outside to inside and vice versa. I fail to see why these would significantly lengthen.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    While you ran this test, over a hundred PCs stretching from Djakarta to Montevideo exploded in flash of sparks.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    R_K wrote: »
    Also, please watch my FPS...

Performance (1,890 Animated Effects & ~450 Furnishings) of Essential Housing Tools on a Potato CPU

https://youtu.be/RuTn5Isf5to

Why u no fancy gaming intro like Roblox youtubers???

Need super professional XYZ GAMING splash logo and music. Like for Thomas train game video where train no stay on tracks. Or slendy tubbies v. bigfoot. You no be srs bsns without R_K GAMING super intro, internets no lie.
    Time and time again we have heard that the item cap is there because ZOS simply cannot offer us more item slots due to "performance reasons". From how ZOS, and some apologetic players, make it sound like, the entire game would implode into a black hole the moment we pass the magical 700 item limit.

Well, preparing for decorating my Observatory home, I put about 500 items in a small, closed space to get an overview of my items. This is how it looked:

i5BvgsY.jpg

About 500 items, big and small, most of them animated or casting light sources. Now, I'm playing on an older laptop, and while I did notice a decrease in fps when in this room with all the items, it was still very playable and nowhere near threatening to the existance of this place or another. I had visitors over, and they also said they had a slight decrease in fps, but nothing very noticable.
    If I can fit 500 animated and light casting items in a tiny space like this, when why in hell's blazes can't I fit more than 700 items in an overblown mansion cositing of several separated zones. The item limit is a lie, there is nothing preventing this.

Also, do notice that the latest DLC upped the limit for "special collectibles" to 100 items, that is, 100 items exceeding the 700 "normal" item limit. These 100 "extra" items can unfortunately only be used for undaunted trophies. So clearly these homes can hold 800 items, zos just decided for us that 100 of these should be spent/wasted on undaunted trophies. If you're not into that, you can't use your 100 slots for anything else, and they're just wasted. The item cap is a lie. Zos could easily increase it, but for reasons unknown, they will not.

It's not about you. It's about the 10 ESO players that still run vacuum tube, card punch systems.
    molecule wrote: »

3GB System RAM.
    85GB free HDD space.

I find it hard to understand why performance issues are acceptable for PvP and trials, but housing must be flawless for everyone.

Just add yet another 'Are you sure?' barrier to entry. One that informs you when your rig might catch fire and explode if you visit that one house where some guy stacked 10000 daedric thrones in one spot.
  • immozz01
    immozz01
    ✭✭✭
    "Just add yet another 'Are you sure?' barrier to entry. One that informs you when your rig might catch fire and explode if you visit that one house where some guy stacked 10000 daedric thrones in one spot."

not to sure about explosions, just wondering what happens anyway, you get 1 fps?

I have no clue what it was when game launched, but must have been something like 20 GB free diskspace to run and is now 4x as much, ZOS also doesn't stick to those requirement so why not include something 99,5% of players can use? give all an option to keep the current cap or raise it, problem for the 0.5% or less coal powered systems solved.
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think there is a technical issue involved in the limit, except the loading times will obviously increase a bit with a higher limit.
    It's a commercial issue more than anything else; they want you to have ESO+ AND they want you to buy more houses.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eliahnus wrote: »
    I do not think there is a technical issue involved in the limit, except the loading times will obviously increase a bit with a higher limit.
    It's a commercial issue more than anything else; they want you to have ESO+ AND they want you to buy more houses.

Surely, but, wouldn´t they sell more homes and more ESO+ if cap was higher? If people could actually finish their homes they would buy new ones, and, if the value of ESO+, regarding housing slots, was better, woulnd´t become a much more appealing option?
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliahnus wrote: »

Surely, but, wouldn´t they sell more homes and more ESO+ if cap was higher? If people could actually finish their homes they would buy new ones, and, if the value of ESO+, regarding housing slots, was better, woulnd´t become a much more appealing option?

Furniture limit is why I only bought one notable home. I've passed on several I thought I stood no chance of filling up with items, and knew they'd end up looking sparse.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    immozz01 wrote: »
    "Just add yet another 'Are you sure?' barrier to entry. One that informs you when your rig might catch fire and explode if you visit that one house where some guy stacked 10000 daedric thrones in one spot."

not to sure about explosions, just wondering what happens anyway, you get 1 fps?

I have no clue what it was when game launched, but must have been something like 20 GB free diskspace to run and is now 4x as much, ZOS also doesn't stick to those requirement so why not include something 99,5% of players can use? give all an option to keep the current cap or raise it, problem for the 0.5% or less coal powered systems solved.

Well, so, when EHT was in its infancy, I had to recall 700+ items from 10 miles away. I was using a laptop with low end specs at the time from a remote location. Game crashed and I couldn't log the relevant toon in. Later I used my own hardware and everything was fine.

So the worst case scenario is apparently ZoS' support having to deal with locked out toons.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would so completely okay with the exterior and interior loading separately if it meant getting even only an extra 100 - 200 slots to general items.

that's totally acceptable.
  • Sheyta
    Sheyta
    ✭✭✭
    item slot limitations and soo is weird

and most explanations why and so dont cut it in real game engine dev knowledge
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they need to do is combine all slots into one group and not divided groups. If someone wants to have 700 trees in there house than that’s there choice. Than they can also increase caps as well but give the player the choice of how to use the slots.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on January 2, 2019 12:50AM