The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What non-meta heavy armour is viable for stam-DK? Theory-crafting

• SubversusReformed
    SubversusReformed
    ✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    Or you can just go with the regular 7th/veiled + fury setup because I don’t see why you’d shoot yourself in the leg

and enjoy getting zerged by 50 people because you have zero sustain nor mobility. Totally sound plan there.

Didn’t have any problem with it and I’ve been playing the same setup with a few changes here and there for the past 3 months lol, it’s all about positioning and knowing what fights to pick.

If you’re getting zerged to the point of no return you’re dead regardless.

Or are you saying legion/veiled + fury is not BiS for stamdk rn?

for small scale in CP without zergs involved it is. For literally every other form of PvP its not. Going full damage isn't very smart anymore.

You WILL get zerged to the point of no return because going to cyrodiil without any form of mobility is already the point of no return.

Going to cyro period is the point of no return.
    Bam_Bam wrote: »
    Can you tell me why you refuse to use the two best sets for stamina Dk? Is this some sort of pride or you just want to make something different? Also FYI half of the sets you listed are outright garbage tier, while some of them are okay.

If you want a heavy armor set that isn't seventh or fury, you can go for:

Sloads ( free damage. duh)
    Cyrodiil Crest(free and on demand burst heal every 5 seconds)
    Battalion Defender (crest is better)
    Daedric Trickery ( fun set really. not very reliable though.)
    Clever alchemist (why are you not running seventh again?)
    Veiled Heritance (see above)
    Shacklebreaker(good for everything)
    Curse of doylemish(good set for low MMR hold mouse 1 playstyle. Practically useless against high tier players).

Haha! Because I use those sets on my heavy stamblade (TONS of fun)

Oh, I see.

This might sound weird at first but I'm actually running medium shackle with seventh on jewelry+weapons(alternatively veiled heritance works well,tested it, loved it.). I think this patch medium armor is the only way for solo PvP, aand it suits stamDK very well since stamDK can achieve crazy high weapon damage numbers with major+minor brutality and medium armor passives..

I know this isn't what you've asked for but I thought you might want to know that medium is actually better than heavy , especially in no-Cp.

Anyways, if you're dead set on using heavy armor without sets like seventh/fury , You can do a simple setup like shacklebreaker+cowards gear.(a friend of mine tested this on non-cp campaign, don't have personal experience with this setup as I've never used cowards myself.) Not going to hit very hard but you'll be very mobile for a heavy armor build. Have an infused jewelry with a magicka regen glyph aand you can spam wings enough to keep you out of trouble. Or alternatively use jewels of misrule , if you're fine with a low max stam pool.

Not sure about medium performing better in no cp. Without CP constitution returns a lot more resources for me and resistance is a much bigger part of your mitigation without CP. Plus the percent increase in weapon damage from medium is less effective without CP as well. I tried running an eternal hunt + morag tong build just this week and the results were disappointing.

Maybe because morag tong + eternal hunt is a terrible setup eh ?. If you don't know how to balance a medium armor build you will always be disappointed with it. Medium armor offers superior passives, but lacks good sets. The resistance difference between a 5-1-1 heavy armor setup and a 5-2 medium setup is veeery small.

Edit: IF Its not clear enough, use heavy armor damage sets on a medium build. It will give better results.

:lol:
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need sustain, you can single bar ulfnors (or double but single opens up more gearing options). Totally underrated sustain set. Only set in the game with a 3pc double bonus. You'd have max hp, mag regen, and stam regen for having 3 pcs. The 5pc adds 30% to your heavy attack regen.

Dw - 1667 - 2167 = 500 more on a 1.5s charge time
    Snb - 2014 - 2618 = 604 on a 1.8s charge time
    2h - 2426 - 3153 = 727 on a 2.1 charge time

More importantly, medium weaves of 1.1 second or more also return the full value of stamina on all 3 of these weapons. So it doesn't even take the full duration to get the return, essentially doubling its possible effect. Im pretty sure it would work like this as medium attacks show as heavy on logs, but maybe you have to have it fully charged. The tooltip of ulfnors doesn't suggest that though.

Add in 25% from heavy armor (so long as it's multiplicative, additive is very slightly less return, about 100 to 150 stamina difference) and you are sitting at, without cp:
    Dw- 2708 -
    Snb- 3260
    2h- 3941

If you have a way to reliably proc off balance, like in cp with tactician, it doubles the value. That is all the sustain you need on any stamina melee character in cp imo.

This interaction is countered by blocking and roll dodge.

Single bar ulfnors, use a defensive set like impreg in medium or heavy (using well fitted and sturdy mix dependent on armor type) or an offensive set like toothrow (for double barred savagery and extra skill slot), full weapon dmg, warrior mundus. Orc. Troll king of you plan on going heavy, i like pirate or bs in medium, maybe 1pc pirate 1pc domi

Snb bar- masters
    Ransack(great spammable with masters snb), reverb(or fossilize/ shattering rocks, can also be dropped in cp using tactician as your stun explains below), heroic slash, vigor, fragmented shield(kind of a flex)

2h- ulfnors
    Venomous claw, flames of oblivion (sub for empowering chains or wings in toothrow), volitile armor, executioner, rally

Debuff with slash and ransack and apply claw, dodge roll away to proc tactician and chain in. Heavy attack dawn breaker and execute.

This whole combo maimed the target, healed you for about 1.5k, increased your resistance by that healed amount, (non crit in pvp, masters snb), increased resistance from masters snb, increased further with ransack, dotted for pressure, *roll dodge and dodge an attack* procced off balance doubling your heavy attacks resource return and increasing heavy attack damage by 70%. Gap closed and granted major expedition for 4 seconds and empowering next 2 light attacks, *heavy lands* doing increased damage, stunning your target off gcd, returns about 8k stamina (about the cost of the combo). Sounds fun.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on December 8, 2018 4:58PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone use Reactive Armour?

Reactive Armor
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type PvP

Set bonus
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
    (3 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery
    (4 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    (5 items) While you are affected by a disabling effect, your damage taken is reduced by 35%.

I like the look of this one if it works as I "think" it does - if snared/rooted etc, you basically get 35% damage mitigation?
    Snares don't count as disabling effects. Stuns, knockbacks/knockdowns, don't recall on SIlence.

Anything where you can't do anything at all until it's timed out.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or you can just go with the regular 7th/veiled + fury setup because I don’t see why you’d shoot yourself in the leg

and enjoy getting zerged by 50 people because you have zero sustain nor mobility. Totally sound plan there.

Didn’t have any problem with it and I’ve been playing the same setup with a few changes here and there for the past 3 months lol, it’s all about positioning and knowing what fights to pick.

for small scale in CP without zergs involved it is. For literally every other form of PvP its not. Going full damage isn't very smart anymore.

You WILL get zerged to the point of no return because going to cyrodiil without any form of mobility is already the point of no return.

Can you tell me why you refuse to use the two best sets for stamina Dk? Is this some sort of pride or you just want to make something different? Also FYI half of the sets you listed are outright garbage tier, while some of them are okay.

Curse of doylemish(good set for low MMR hold mouse 1 playstyle. Practically useless against high tier players).

Oh, I see.

This might sound weird at first but I'm actually running medium shackle with seventh on jewelry+weapons(alternatively veiled heritance works well,tested it, loved it.). I think this patch medium armor is the only way for solo PvP, aand it suits stamDK very well since stamDK can achieve crazy high weapon damage numbers with major+minor brutality and medium armor passives..

I know this isn't what you've asked for but I thought you might want to know that medium is actually better than heavy , especially in no-Cp.

Anyways, if you're dead set on using heavy armor without sets like seventh/fury , You can do a simple setup like shacklebreaker+cowards gear.(a friend of mine tested this on non-cp campaign, don't have personal experience with this setup as I've never used cowards myself.) Not going to hit very hard but you'll be very mobile for a heavy armor build. Have an infused jewelry with a magicka regen glyph aand you can spam wings enough to keep you out of trouble. Or alternatively use jewels of misrule , if you're fine with a low max stam pool.

Not sure about medium performing better in no cp. Without CP constitution returns a lot more resources for me and resistance is a much bigger part of your mitigation without CP. Plus the percent increase in weapon damage from medium is less effective without CP as well. I tried running an eternal hunt + morag tong build just this week and the results were disappointing.

Maybe because morag tong + eternal hunt is a terrible setup eh ?. If you don't know how to balance a medium armor build you will always be disappointed with it. Medium armor offers superior passives, but lacks good sets. The resistance difference between a 5-1-1 heavy armor setup and a 5-2 medium setup is veeery small.

Edit: IF Its not clear enough, use heavy armor damage sets on a medium build. It will give better results.

Oh I know the dps meta friend. I was running a niche build that medium should have been better for and it wasn't. But it's laughable you think medium armor passives are better than heavy especially in no cp. I mean improved sneak is completely worthless. You would need to devote one whole set to sustain to match constution plus you don't get mag return either in medium and a dk is mag starved usually anyway. Shuffle is still garbage cause it's too expensive plus DK has wings. Still gonna melt in medium and no synergy is better than heavy+DK+Troll king for survival.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh, I see.

Oh I know the dps meta friend. I was running a niche build that medium should have been better for and it wasn't. But it's laughable you think medium armor passives are better than heavy especially in no cp. I mean improved sneak is completely worthless. You would need to devote one whole set to sustain to match constution plus you don't get mag return either in medium and a dk is mag starved usually anyway. Shuffle is still garbage cause it's too expensive plus DK has wings. Still gonna melt in medium and no synergy is better than heavy+DK+Troll king for survival.

If you're on PC EU I can prove to you it works pretty well open world. Medium armor was never so viable as it is right now for a long time.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 8, 2018 8:14PM
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ragnarock41 do people forget all the cost reduction and speed that comes with medium?.... not to mention 12% increase on weapon damage is significant. On 5k you just gained 600 additional weapon damage. Resistances can’t save you from oblivion or bleeds anyway.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ragnarock41 do people forget all the cost reduction and speed that comes with medium?.... not to mention 12% increase on weapon damage is significant. On 5k you just gained 600 additional weapon damage. Resistances can’t save you from oblivion or bleeds anyway.

Sheep are always slow at grasping what is strong, and why its strong. Thats fine though. So far I'm really enjoying it. Perhaps the only problem with medium armor was the low max hp for me, which made me feel very squishy and I've solved that by using healthy jewelry pieces), and now I'm looking at 25k hp in no-cp, as a medium armor user, with 22k resists and still rocking about 5k weapon damage.

I haven't even tried master dual wield on this setup yet but I imagine it will be pretty nasty. Will see how it does tomorrow.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 8, 2018 11:41PM
  • SubversusReformed
    SubversusReformed
    ✭✭✭

Sheep are always slow at grasping what is strong, and why its strong. Thats fine though. So far I'm really enjoying it. Perhaps the only problem with medium armor was the low max hp for me, which made me feel very squishy and I've solved that by using healthy jewelry pieces), and now I'm looking at 25k hp in no-cp, as a medium armor user, with 22k resists and still rocking about 5k weapon damage.

I haven't even tried master dual wield on this setup yet but I imagine it will be pretty nasty. Will see how it does tomorrow.

Slow at grasping probably because it's not strong lmfao. That's absolute trash in CP pvp, and in bgs you'd wanna run dw with bleeds and spin 2 win anyway. Only place such a setup would be 'strong' is in Sotha, and that place is a joke to begin with.

Why do I even bother lol, have fun with whatever setup you want. Just don't come complaining that heavy is op afterwards.
    Edited by SubversusReformed on December 9, 2018 2:23PM
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reactive Armor
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type PvP

Set bonus
    (5 items) While you are affected by a disabling effect, your damage taken is reduced by 35%.

I like the look of this one if it works as I "think" it does - if snared/rooted etc, you basically get 35% damage mitigation?
    Snares don't count as disabling effects. Stuns, knockbacks/knockdowns, don't recall on SIlence.

Anything where you can't do anything at all until it's timed out.

Thanks Merlin, much appreciated
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Slow at grasping probably because it's not strong lmfao. That's absolute trash in CP pvp, and in bgs you'd wanna run dw with bleeds and spin 2 win anyway. Only place such a setup would be 'strong' is in Sotha, and that place is a joke to begin with.

Why do I even bother lol, have fun with whatever setup you want. Just don't come complaining that heavy is op afterwards.

I set reasonable expectations for every build I make. Point of 1vX is to blow up a few scrubs at a time and then dust off. If I was preparing to duke it out with a fury-seventh user in a CP enviroment I would bring something similar aswell.

But if a medium armor build in CP, could reliably beat a seventh-fury Dk every single time, you would be the one crying in all honesty.
  • KingLogix
    KingLogix
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I see.

KingLogix wrote: »

Oh, I see.

May I ask what you are running to make medium better than heavy? I always feels that my heavy armor build with 1k stamregen still outsustains my medium build with 2k regen.

Disregard my earlier comments lol
    Medium shachkle + 7th sounds really goood. What about fury with infused jewerly?

Oh, I see.

May I ask what you are running to make medium better than heavy? I always feels that my heavy armor build with 1k stamregen still outsustains my medium build with 2k regen.
    Edited by KingLogix on December 10, 2018 3:48PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh, I see.

for medium armor I dropped SnB and used master dual wield on the back bar instead. With dual wield you can run an extra enchant and I chose to run a stamina absorb glyph , which helps. dual wield heavy attack into blood craze and that is a lot easier to sustain compared to using something like a bow or SnB heroic slash.

I guess the extra damage from bleeds makes a big difference in my sustain cause I dont need to weave often like I would on a heroic SnB build. And since I get mobility from quick cloak+wings I can afford to run tri-potions which helps sustain.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 10, 2018 3:56PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KingLogix To be honest I've tried shackle-fury in medium, and got absolutely destroyed in non-CP bgs against more simple proc setups, like bleedblades running sload-viper-master dw, proc sets don't crit, non-CP players have much lower crit values and that doesn't really help with fury.. The ramp up time is also too high for medium armor in my opinion.

You could solve this with protective jewelry, but you could also instead run a set like seventh or veiled, both of which boosts your survivability and give you a much faster proc,
    and that way you can run an infused jewelry piece with a regen glyph to boost your magicka recovery, so that you can afford the petrify and wings spam.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 10, 2018 4:13PM
  • KingLogix
    KingLogix
    ✭✭✭
    @KingLogix To be honest I've tried shackle-fury in medium, and got absolutely destroyed in non-CP bgs against more simple proc setups, like bleedblades running sload-viper-master dw, proc sets don't crit, non-CP players have much lower crit values and that doesn't really help with fury.. The ramp up time is also too high for medium armor in my opinion.

You could solve this with protective jewelry, but you could also instead run a set like seventh or veiled, both of which boosts your survivability and give you a much faster proc,
    and that way you can run an infused jewelry piece with a regen glyph to boost your magicka recovery, so that you can afford the petrify and wings spam.

Right on! I like the thought of mag regen glyin
    I have been doing that too
    I also have been trying a mag drain glyph, but am worried my dps is dropping from it
    For cp pvp, do you feel that heavy is better?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Right on! I like the thought of mag regen glyin
    I have been doing that too
    I also have been trying a mag drain glyph, but am worried my dps is dropping from it
    For cp pvp, do you feel that heavy is better?

Since sustain is not an issue in CP campaign you can go seventh-fury, and since you can't do that in medium armor, yes heavy beats medium in CP. Mostly because there are no good sets for medium though. And partly because the sustain passives of MA is meaningless in CP campaign.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 10, 2018 4:58PM
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    When someone asks for non-meta sets for their build, in order to make a good reccomendation one must first ask “That depends, how bad do you want your build to be?”
    PCNA

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    del9 wrote: »
    When someone asks for non-meta sets for their build, in order to make a good reccomendation one must first ask “That depends, how bad do you want your build to be?”

Absolute nonsense.

Most meta-build gear = "All the gear but no idea"...

...in other words, if you don't know how to get the best out of it, no amount of gold "meta-gear" will save you from a player who focuses on skill.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reactive Armor
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type PvP

Set bonus

Used to be quite the set a while ago, if you really feel like going that way I’d suggest hist sap. It’s one of the strongest tanking sets in the game right now for open world play. Crazy healing, especially on a stamdk where healing is already amplified to the absurd.

A lot of the Murkmire sets look really interesting too. I'll definitely look into Hist Sap as well
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭

Absolute nonsense.

...in other words, if you don't know how to get the best out of it, no amount of gold "meta-gear" will save you from a player who focuses on skill.

What? I never said anything about skill. I said “build”. ‘Meta’ gear is meta because it is the best. Just about everything else gives you less of an advantage in battle regardless of skill. If a player decides they don’t want to use the best sets simply because they are the most popular, then they must decide what level of gear advantage they are willing to sacrifice to be non-meta.

Does that make sense? My point was, without snark this time - at equal skill levels, you are only gimping yourself against a player with better gear. And that the popular set choices are popular because they give tou the best advantage.
    Edited by del9 on December 12, 2018 10:29PM
    PCNA

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolute nonsense.

What? I never said anything about skill. I said “build”. ‘Meta’ gear is meta because it is the best. Just about everything else gives you less of an advantage in battle regardless of skill. If a player decides they don’t want to use the best sets simply because they are the most popular, then they must decide what level of gear advantage they are willing to sacrifice to be non-meta.

Does that make sense? My point was, without snark this time - at equal skill levels, you are only gimping yourself against a player with better gear. And that the popular set choices are popular because they give tou the best advantage.

If the player with better gear lacks skill, then their gear won't matter. Skills are way more important than gear IMHO.

EDIT: Just because a player uses an older or non-fashionable set, doesn't mean they are rubbish. It would be really foolish to assume that.
    Edited by Bam_Bam on December 13, 2018 10:05AM
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolute nonsense.

If the player with better gear lacks skill, then their gear won't matter. Skills are way more important than gear IMHO.

EDIT: Just because a player uses an older or non-fashionable set, doesn't mean they are rubbish. It would be really foolish to assume that.

Yes correct if you get someone who does not know what they are doing and give them the best gear in the world, someone with worst gear will trounce them. HOWEVER that is not what is being said to you, atleast the message you chose to quote and reply too.

What @del9 is explaining to you is, if the skill level is EQUAL then that is when gear matters. Thus in such a scenario using non meta gear is simply gimping yourself.

So I geuss the question is, whom do you see yourself fighting more? Low skill trash, or really good players, if you dont run into good players alot low mmr or luck I guess, then woohoo but if you have high mmr or whatever and run into good players alot you are gimping yourself trying to be unique.

HOWEVER, no cp like bg, is quite different I agree than CP land. And in CP land fury is great, I hate the set but it is great. in no cp it is trash imo, people have very very low crit and that set almost never ramps up in time. In there, sustain is a little more important. But if you wanna go double heavy either go sevenths veiled, good all the time or sevenths/veiled shackle, as shackle is just great on every build.

So I guess yeah, if you want a set that meets your criteria, then veiled heritance & shackleBreaker. Prolly TK, unless you wanted to use something like master dual weild. then spriggan or whatever front bar proc set you feel like using.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of people saying that Fury is not viable in no-CP; perhaps not in higher MMR BGs, but in lower MMR BGs (where NB gank scrubs abound) I build up stacks reliably. I’m using Bloodspawn, Fury (5x body), Asylum 2H frontbar, Ward of Cyrodiil DW backbar. HUGE ultimate regen, meaning I can more or less use Take Flight at will. The idea is to apply defile on my DW bar, apply pressure, build up some Fury stacks, and then finish em off with Take Flight + Executioner. Once my DK enters higher MMR brackets where there are less NBs around, I’ll probably swap Fury out for something else. For now, though, no complaints.
  • crusnik91
    crusnik91
    ✭✭✭✭
    YT channel(Guides/Builds/gameplay)
    ~ Crescent Jayren Gaming ~

Glorious EP
    Jayren - V16 MagBlade AR30
    Crescent J'renz - V16 StamBlade AR46
    Crescent Lucrecia - V16 MagSorc AR32
    Courageous DC
    Crescent Sephiroth - V16 StamDK AR50
    Crescent Singu-rarity - V16 MagTemplar AR33
    Relentless AD
    Crescent the Tiny - V16 StamSorc AR10
    Crescent-The-Huge-One - V16 MagWarden AR18
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at people who avoid sets because they're afraid to be considered meta. Just play the game lol. If something seems to work best for you then use it, if ya wanna try something else then do so. To be honest with how stupid high damage is this patch I'd be looking for any edge possible
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crusnik91 wrote: »

Thanks, Jayren! :)
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara