The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Blockade vs Unstable, Improving Unstable without changing BiS

Maura_Neysa
Maura_Neysa
✭✭✭✭✭
So this has been bugging me while theory crafting on a Mag Warden. Warden are built around multiples of 3 seconds, so 8 second Blockade doesn't fit. I'm interested in knowing if the idea is good or bad and why, and what I may be missing. Particularly, how to account for the lost GCD of running a 6sec skill verses an 8 second skill, and how much would Unstable need to be buffed to account for that. I also think that when buffing Unstable it should be in that final burst damage, to limit the balance effect it might have in PvP. Though that is another question as well.

Disclaimers:
- Unstable's smaller area will always be a weakness
- Values are arbitrary and only need to match between the 2 skills, aka parse time, stats
- Values are from UESP Skill Browser w/ Default Magicka/Spell Damage
https://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkills.php

Okay so here is the actual idea...

Current Unstable - 3240 Magicka, (1024 per second x6 + 1639 = 7783 Damage)
6M Dummy @ 120sec, cost 64,800 Mag total and does 155,660 Damage total
155,660 Damage / 64,800 Mag = 2.402 Damage/Mag

Current Blockade - 3240 Magicka, (1024 per second x8 = 8192 Damage)
6M Dummy @ 120sec, cost 48,600 Mag total and does 122,880 Damage total
122,880 Damage / 48,600 Mag + 2.528 Damage/Mag

If Even Unstable vs Blockade single target damage
64,800 Mag * 2.528 Damage/Mag = 163,814 Damage (goal)
120sec = 20 Casts, for 122,880 from DoT (no change), Need 40934 from Burst / 20 Cast = 2046 Damage
so
Unstable - 3240 Magicka, (1024 per second x6 + 2046 = 8190 Damage)
6M Dummy @ 120sec, cost 64,800 Mag total and does 163,800 Damage total
163,800 Damage / 64,800 Mag = 2.527 Damage/Mag

If, accounting for lost GCDs
8/6=1.3, so 2046 burst damage from "Equal Unstable/Blockade" *1.3 = 2659.8
So
Unstable - 3240 Magicka, (1024 per second x6 + 2660 = 8804 Damage)
6M Dummy @ 120sec, 64,800 Mag 176,080 Damage Total
176,080 Damage / 64,800 Mag = 2.717 Damage/Mag
Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
Major
Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
Warden 2x Bow DPS
Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
Others
PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps This seems like the kind of question you might like?
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

• jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to recommendations on the forum, magwarden rotation I use includes shalks and unstable: shalks > skill > skill > shalks > bs > unstable > skill > bs > shalks > ha > shalks > bs > unstable > skill > bs > restart

It’s not maximum magden dps, but it’s super simple and still works well so I enjoy it. Plus, I feel like you’re getting maximum uptime with both shalks and unstable using it. Iirc the timers on some of the other skills don’t perfectly line up so perhaps there’s room for optimization, but it’s an effective way to build around the unique timer of shalks.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »
    Thanks to recommendations on the forum, magwarden rotation I use includes shalks and unstable: shalks > skill > skill > shalks > bs > unstable > skill > bs > shalks > ha > shalks > bs > unstable > skill > bs > restart

It’s not maximum magden dps, but it’s super simple and still works well so I enjoy it. Plus, I feel like you’re getting maximum uptime with both shalks and unstable using it. Iirc the timers on some of the other skills don’t perfectly line up so perhaps there’s room for optimization, but it’s an effective way to build around the unique timer of shalks.

Yeah thats the kind of rotation that got me thinking about it too. In general though I think a lot of skills are like Wall, where there is no reason to run one morph. Some morphs are utility or self healing that have no place in min/max. Others like Wall where both morphs are pure DPS options, I feel like there should at least be certain situations were each morph is the better one.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats the kind of rotation that got me thinking about it too. In general though I think a lot of skills are like Wall, where there is no reason to run one morph. Some morphs are utility or self healing that have no place in min/max. Others like Wall where both morphs are pure DPS options, I feel like there should at least be certain situations were each morph is the better one.

Sure, and maybe we disagree, but I think this is a perfect example of where a niche morph is the better one. Using your numbers from above:
    Unstable over 24 seconds: 4 GCDs x 7783 dmg/GCD = 31,132 dmg total
    Blockade over 24 seconds: 3 GCDs x 8192 dmg/GCD = 24,576 dmg total

Unstable is actually higher dps than blockade on its own over time, but as you noted, it’s less dmg per magicka spent, and costs additional GCDs. However, that extra ~6550 dmg might be the best use of those GCDs depending on class and build. I imagine it is rare, but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a single situation where unstable is the better option. Out of curiosity, what are some other tool tips for common magicka skills from the same build that you used for the wall tooltips?

Edit: and should clarify that certainly I wouldn’t mind a buff to unstable because it’s probably more niche than it needs to be in its current state.
    Edited by jypcy on November 28, 2018 10:07PM
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're not just pure DPS options. Unstable is good for PVE DPS, Blockade is good for AOE specifically but also has AOE utility in PVP.

If you run unstable in PVP... ehhhhh - you should run blockade for the better coverage
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, and maybe we disagree, but I think this is a perfect example of where a niche morph is the better one. Using your numbers from above:

Unstable is actually higher dps than blockade on its own over time, but as you noted, it’s less dmg per magicka spent, and costs additional GCDs. However, that extra ~6550 dmg might be the best use of those GCDs depending on class and build. I imagine it is rare, but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a single situation where unstable is the better option. Out of curiosity, what are some other tool tips for common magicka skills from the same build that you used for the wall tooltips?

Edit: and should clarify that certainly I wouldn’t mind a buff to unstable because it’s probably more niche than it needs to be in its current state.

Just a theory crafting build, but here is the basic idea.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=38562
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

They're not just pure DPS options. Unstable is good for PVE DPS, Blockade is good for AOE specifically but also has AOE utility in PVP.

If you run unstable in PVP... ehhhhh - you should run blockade for the better coverage

Wall in either morph is only useful in PvP in a root frost build. And I have never heard of anyone using Unstable in PvP in that situation either. As it is right now, the fine burst of Unstable is less damage than the extra 2 ticks. If someone is still in Wall after 6 seconds, why would they then figure out to get out of it? :thinking:
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have Unstable down and cast it again, it activates and does extra damage. It would be very costly as a spammable, but for a shorter timed rotation it would make more sense to me?
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a theory crafting build, but here is the basic idea.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=38562

Thanks! So yeah, difference I got between 24 seconds of blockade and unstable for that build is 18,280 dmg, and assuming your rotation has good uptimes on fetcher and revenge anyway (even if they’re not quite 100%), I believe that the extra unstable cast is the best use of the GCD you otherwise could’ve saved by running blockade.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Unstable down and cast it again, it activates and does extra damage. It would be very costly as a spammable, but for a shorter timed rotation it would make more sense to me?

Hmm... the Burst at the end happens whether its been 6 seconds or not? This is not something I knew 0_o

The idea is... Still a work in progress though
    Fissure, Unstable, Revenge,
    Fissure, Spam, Spam
    Fissure, Unstable, Bear
    Fissure, Spam, Spam
    Fissure, Unstable, Revenge
    Fissure, Spam, Spam
    Fissure, Unstable, Spam
    Swap, Channeled, Netch, Ele/Lotus, Swap
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been running Unstable on a few characters. It’s really not bad, and arguably the better morph for some builds. The burst at the end does about the same damage as the 2 ticks missed by the shorter duration, so you get almost the same damage per cast and higher damage per second. This burst is comparatively better if you are invested a lot in Master at Arms (non-pet sorc, Nightblade, Magden) but worse if you are built into Thaumaturge (pet sorc, Templar, DK).

Keep in mind that Unstable is also better burst. If something dies within 5s then either morph is the same. If it dies just after 6-7s Unstable has done more damage. Blockade only catches up in damage after 8s. This can be important in places like vAS and vCR, where switching targets means you often get no benefit from longer duration DoTs.

The only real advantage of Blockade is the increased width. Unstable requires your enemies to be lined up better, and you may need to sidestep before casting to aim it where needed.

Aside from that, I would say go with whichever works out best for a clean rotation. I’ve found that the following morphs work out best:

Non-Pet Sorc: 6s Unstable with 6s Lightning Flood and 12s Haunting Curse

Pet Sorc: 8s Blockade with 10s Liquid Lightning and 8s Volatile Familiar.

Warden: 6s Unstable with 12s Winters Revenge and 3s Deep Fissure

Templar: 8s Blockade with 8s Blazing Spear and 7s Reflective Light (although I could see Unstable working with 6s Purfying Light and 11s Vamp Bane)

Nightblade: 8s Blockade with 8s Cripple. Although 6s Unstable can also work well with the almost 12s Twisting Path, depends on bar setup and personal preference, since Nightblade rotations are dynamic.

DK: 8s Blockade, with a 15s FoO every other cast. Other DK skill timings are all over the place so I tend to end up with a dynamic rotation, which is easier to manage with a longer wall duration.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    good post

Wow, interesting, thanks for this, Wrath. Gonna try it.
    eisley the worst
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been running Unstable on a few characters. It’s really not bad, and arguably the better morph for some builds. The burst at the end does about the same damage as the 2 ticks missed by the shorter duration, so you get almost the same damage per cast and higher damage per second. This burst is comparatively better if you are invested a lot in Master at Arms (non-pet sorc, Nightblade, Magden) but worse if you are built into Thaumaturge (pet sorc, Templar, DK).

Keep in mind that Unstable is also better burst. If something dies within 5s then either morph is the same. If it dies just after 6-7s Unstable has done more damage. Blockade only catches up in damage after 8s. This can be important in places like vAS and vCR, where switching targets means you often get no benefit from longer duration DoTs.

The only real advantage of Blockade is the increased width. Unstable requires your enemies to be lined up better, and you may need to sidestep before casting to aim it where needed.

Aside from that, I would say go with whichever works out best for a clean rotation. I’ve found that the following morphs work out best:

Templar: 8s Blockade with 8s Blazing Spear and 7s Reflective Light (although I could see Unstable working with 6s Purfying Light and 11s Vamp Bane)

Nightblade: 8s Blockade with 8s Cripple. Although 6s Unstable can also work well with the almost 12s Twisting Path, depends on bar setup and personal preference, since Nightblade rotations are dynamic.

DK: 8s Blockade, with a 15s FoO every other cast. Other DK skill timings are all over the place so I tend to end up with a dynamic rotation, which is easier to manage with a longer wall duration.

Very interesting. Being console, I don't really like the meta floating rotation MagDen build. I have played with Unstable a little, but when I have brought up the idea of an Unstable rotation in conversation I have recieved a lot of negative feed back. So I didn't put a lot of effort into it.
    I may just have to revisit the build, and see how much more I can get out of it.
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on November 29, 2018 3:42PM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other way to look at this comparison, is to take a 24s section of a fight. Assuming you keep full uptime on Wall the DoT damage will be the same for either morph (24 ticks). Unstable would be cast 4 times, and give 4 final burst ticks. Blockade would be cast 3 times and allow the use of one more spammable skill.

So for a single target fight you’re just weighing 4 Unstable Wall bursts against 1 spammable. Unstable Wall’s final tick is about 40% the damage of a spammable, so 4 of them are 1.6X times the damage of one spammable. However, spammables often have additional effects like status effects, self heals or interrupts, so the DPS difference is very slight.

I would like if Unstable and Blockade were the same size. The duration difference balances the final burst pretty well without needing an area difference.
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other way to look at this comparison, is to take a 24s section of a fight. Assuming you keep full uptime on Wall the DoT damage will be the same for either morph (24 ticks). Unstable would be cast 4 times, and give 4 final burst ticks. Blockade would be cast 3 times and allow the use of one more spammable skill.

So for a single target fight you’re just weighing 4 Unstable Wall bursts against 1 spammable. Unstable Wall’s final tick is about 40% the damage of a spammable, so 4 of them are 1.6X times the damage of one spammable. However, spammables often have additional effects like status effects, self heals or interrupts, so the DPS difference is very slight.

I would like if Unstable and Blockade were the same size. The duration difference balances the final burst pretty well without needing an area difference.

Well in terms of MagDen,
    Unstable is 18x8
    Fissure is 20x7
    Blolckade is 18x 12
    So i almost don't even mind just because I want Fissure and Wall hitting the same area.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Major
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Others

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

it does less damage than 2 ticks i think it should be exactly on par and perhaps cost 1/4 less.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 9, 2018 5:18AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions