Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

At what price does housing become too expensive for you?

Zypheran
Zypheran
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm really just curious as what other people think about value when it comes to housing. This element of the game is by far the most expensive in terms of RL money cost so I am curious whether I am just a miser and the vast majority of people have a different value scale when it comes to housing and furnishing costs.
Please don't let this thread become a platform for cheap shots at people who spend lots of crowns on these items. Everyone has the entitlement to spend their own hard-earned money how they please on whatever gives them enjoyment. Personally, I appreciate that such people are major contributors keeping the game funded and kudos for that.
So, with that said, at what level of $/€ do you feel houses become prohibitively expensive?
All my housing builds are available on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.

At what price does housing become too expensive for you? 121 votes

0 - I would not spend any amount of money on this aspect of the game
33%
SolarikenMaythorleeuxGrimm13HymzirRi_Khankargen27ReivaxZorgon_The_Revengedredspecter23Sanctum74MattT1988RaddlemanNumber7Kram8ionSaturnanaVapirkoLordLomaxNakiki92FroilMizael 40 votes
0 - 10
11%
DanikatixieElsonsomikeyj92seipher09cjthenereidThannazzarMysanneTelvanniWizardwolf486AshyachuAnotherone773Itaciraskrvbb10rd 14 votes
10 - 20
14%
calitrumanb14_ESOTanadrielStreegaGarishPomsAethereal'GoldenDrathlyMissNetWildRaptorXBretonMageAnel1185mateosalvajeMupoReistr_the_UnbrokenspartaxoxoElectricWyzzardCrooksyAldAlata 18 votes
20 - 50
18%
KovaPhilhypewodkamanostrab16_ESOIruil_ESOSantieClawsSotha_SilJoeSchlockHidesFromSunCaffeinatedMayhemswankeryNolaArchVaranaAliyavanaGlaiceanadengodadegenMorgul667ZypheranTonyRockaroniLady_Scorp72Tatanko 22 votes
50 - 100
9%
GalenkimaerilMornaBaineDystopia2020EphemeraCrawfordDracan_FontomboggocarlyWakeYourGhostHroltharAzriael2HuskyRook941840 12 votes
I have no limits, I will spend whatever I think is worth it for me
12%
dcam86b14_ESOBlackSparrowbellatrixedmrpaxmanRebornV3xnotimetocareO_LYKOSLakeAurieplayfull_kittenPrayingSeraphNoTimeToWaitApostateHoboAngelaWaspLorel 15 votes
  • THE_BIG_BOSS
    THE_BIG_BOSS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 topics for that, really?
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    20 - 50
    3 topics for that, really?

No - The forum bugged for me half way through writing the poll and double posted an incomplete poll that I cant edit. Hence why they are blanked and marked DELETE
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't spend crowns to buy homes. Firstly, because there are better things to spend my crowns on. Secondly, because I only buy unfurnished small or medium homes. I only use small and medium homes, and regard furnishing them as part of game play. Small and medium homes can be bought with gold, so why would I spend crowns on them.
    PC EU
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I can truly answer as I've not spent any significant amount of time doing anything housing related. I refuse, however, to purchase limited exclusive housing that costs over $100 in real money. No matter how much I like it. If Linchal was also available for gold, I'd probably own it. But nope. Won't spend the crowns, even at 30% off.

Additionally, a number of furnishing items that can only be bought in the crown store have high crown prices for a single item. Things like the wisteria pergolas from Alinor, items (like the little animated butterfly flocks) being locked into furnishing packs only for 4500 crowns...

It's an extremely cost prohibitive system to engage with and when you add on the many other flaws, the pricing is just one aspect that keeps me from really sinking any time into housing.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we got a mansion for free, and all I need in my house are storage boxes, crafting tables, a 6 mil dummy and a retrait station of which none cost real life currency.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on November 22, 2018 1:53PM
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 - 10
    The crown only houses are huge buildings which you cannot adequately decorate with the current cap on decos. Won't buy a house for crowns unless ZOS create a medium sized one or the deco limit is increased to 1000 minimum.

Although should they bring out a daedric ruin in the style of the portaled elements of Elden Hollow 2 I might reconsider.
    Edited by Thannazzar on November 22, 2018 2:11PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 - 10
    Important note: I'm using UK pounds, if it was in US dollars it would probably be more.

Also I don't have an exact price. I bought the Trees of Tamriel pack and a fireplace for Mournoth Keep and after that I go by the price of the individual item and again there's no set limit - I check what it costs in real money and decide if it's worth that much to me. Sometimes I lose interest in an item as soon as I find out I have to buy it from the crown store because I don't want it that much, sometimes I buy relatively expensive furnishings because it's the perfect thing for what I'm making so it's worth it to me.

But I doubt I've spent more than £15 total, probably less than £10.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thanks... not interested at all in housing.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Above 200$ I think is my limit (and I mean in total, I am not going to spend more than that on a single game, even long-lasting one), though I admit I don't count ESO+ subscription towards the limit. Since I don't usually play other games (with very rare exceptions), I find it reasonable to spend a modest amount of money on the only game I play regularly
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on November 22, 2018 5:44PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how to vote.

While I don't buy the largest crown exclusive houses, even though they are nicely done, I have spent crowns on items such as mundus stones (4000 each) and an exclusive target dummy. (The package with the crow dummy). So far I have 4 mundus stones.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would not spend any money on it. It has nothing that appeals to me that I can't just get from a house I can buy in game for gold. Any of the in game houses can store my crafting stations and storage containers just fine. I'm all about functionality though. I understand some people like the decorating aspect and that's fine, but I have zero interest in that.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wait for crown sales, which are becoming more rare as of late, then pick up a house I really want. I currently have two houses, Daggerfall Overlook for personal RP, Serenity Falls for all my crafting stuff and quick access to Wayshrine. Ebonheart Chateau looks great, but that constant rumbling volcano would drive me crazy.

That Free house we got for Summerset, I turned the interior into a Daedric Temple.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on November 22, 2018 10:57PM
  • Mason_King
    Mason_King
    ✭✭✭
    the moment I start thinking about dishing out real money, I need to pay rent and my car in real life. How much more a virtual house? Also I'm against putting real money into a game. It's different when you're buying DLC Like Summerset, Morrowwind, and all those. Because I'm just getting into the game, and I feel like If i put money into Crowns and this ended, Well I just lost that house. at least if I earned the gold in the game I could say I had fun working towards that goal.

All the gold I've earned it's been through questing. I have enough for Grymharth's Woe, But I want To buy The Gardner House, and later Daggerfall Overlook.

So I only have 300,000+ Gold But I'm Hesitating, because If I spend that Gold now, I will only Have 20,000 left over.

Edited by Mason_King on November 23, 2018 12:23PM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 - 20
    I wouldn't mind spending a few dollars for an attractive and convenient house. No more than $10-15 (inclusive of furnishing) though.
  • TaliColdwater
    TaliColdwater
    ✭✭✭
    I'll totally save up in game gold to spend on a small or medium home that I liked in particular for some reason (like Snugpod, which I'm saving up for now), but I don't see a point spending real life money. I'm not in them enough and/or just want them for the fast travel aspect.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I can truly answer as I've not spent any significant amount of time doing anything housing related. I refuse, however, to purchase limited exclusive housing that costs over $100 in real money. No matter how much I like it. If Linchal was also available for gold, I'd probably own it. But nope. Won't spend the crowns, even at 30% off.

Additionally, a number of furnishing items that can only be bought in the crown store have high crown prices for a single item. Things like the wisteria pergolas from Alinor, items (like the little animated butterfly flocks) being locked into furnishing packs only for 4500 crowns...

It's an extremely cost prohibitive system to engage with and when you add on the many other flaws, the pricing is just one aspect that keeps me from really sinking any time into housing.

You know you can have those gifted to you.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »

You know you can have those gifted to you.

Houses? Or the exclusive crown furnishings? Because the last I knew, houses were not giftable.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    The crown only houses are huge buildings which you cannot adequately decorate with the current cap on decos. Won't buy a house for crowns unless ZOS create a medium sized one or the deco limit is increased to 1000 minimum.

Although should they bring out a daedric ruin in the style of the portaled elements of Elden Hollow 2 I might reconsider.

That's a matter of opinion, I have, and have seen, many well decorated houses with the current build limit. There is however a difference between making something look lived in and well decorated
  • mikecrci
    mikecrci
    ✭✭✭
    Never bought a house.
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm the only Crown Home I might consider is the DB Cave since its on sale. But yeah as some mentioned before I spent my crowns on other things as they were way overpriced.
  • Elissn
    Elissn
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I enjoy decorating my homes I'd never spend any considerable amount of real money for it.
    Three reasons:

1. The large crown store houses are nice but too big for me to even consider buying one. Especially with the furniture limit issue I have no idea how to fill so much empty space.
    2. Houses don't have enough uses. Mostly all they do is look cool -or not- and that's not enough motivation for me to spend actual money.
    3. Considering my other concerns, but also in general, I think the crown fees for houses are way overprized. ~100 drakes for an empty cosmetic area, seriously!?

I do spend quite a lot of my ingame gold on housing though!
    And I did buy the CWC furnishing pack for crowns. Which I still had left from a pack that I bought during some sale over a year ago so, uhm, I guess that doesn't count.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted zero but have a caveat. I subscribe to the game and sometimes spend the ESO+ crowns on housing stuff.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will only buy houses within game gold and think the large houses are too big medium are the perfect t size .
  • EphemeraCrawford
    EphemeraCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭
    50 - 100
    I love decorating and building, it's one of the main draws of the game for me. I bought Sleek Creek furnished for crowns, and saved up in game gold for the Jungle House and Sisters of the Sand. I've bought some trees and shrubbery packs, but I like to craft my own furniture or buy from the guilds.

I think housing is a part of the game that you like or you don't, like PVP. ESO is big enough for different playstyles.

One last thing - I used Second Life for years, and housing is far far more expensive there, because you also have to rent server space for it. ESO's housing and furnishing prices are not outrageous for the quality of the 3D objects offered.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO's my only real entertainment expense. I don't go to movies, or bars, or concerts, and I don't buy DVDs or expensive electronics. So, I pretty much buy whatever I want in ESO.

Not saying you said this, OP, but I've always found it funny that people who spend $100 on a virtual house they can use for years are judged so harshly, but if you go spend $300 on concert tickets for a few hours of entertainment everyone just accepts it as a fun time.

Entertainment is entertainment!
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 - 20
    18k is way too expensive for a house for me.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would never spend crowns for a house (although I did buy one seasonal furnishing pack because I really wanted to decorate for Witches' Festival).
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I don't buy crowns separately, it really depends on how many sub crowns I have. My budget isn't cost-of-item driven. If I have the crowns and want an item enough, I'll buy it. Of course the more expensive an item is, the less likely I am to have enough crowns. So far I've used crowns to buy 2 houses: Ald Velothi and the Alinor Townhouse, both furnished.
    Edited by Imryll on November 30, 2018 2:50AM
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since i got a huge house for free - 0
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • HuskyRook941840
    50 - 100
    It depends entirely upon the house. I bought the Snowglobe house because OMG. There are other houses i wouldn’t buy for any amount of money (in game gold or real life money) because I simply don’t like them. There are some I think are overpriced (the apartment in Sentinel, and I think the hobbit house?)

I know people who have spent an exorbitant amount of real life money on their houses.

You know what? It’s their money, their life, and none of my business ;)
    xBox NA
    Anana Giacoso - CP Dark Elf Mag Sorc
    Drinks-Scorpion-Venom - CP Argonian magplar healer
    Officer: Reapr Crw (casual social guild)]