Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nameplate addon?

• kelisw1ub17_ESO
    How about enemy Pacts can't see them. Personally I hate that there is no way to recognize anyone. This is a massive multiplayer game. It is vital to have a way for us to become familiar with and recognize each other. This is just silly.
    Edited by kelisw1ub17_ESO on April 3, 2014 7:46PM
  • Skaald
    Skaald
    Soul Shriven
    IMHO...there should be a option to turn on proximity voice so you can hear whoever is around you when they talk in their mic. I love that functionality in DayZ.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Oh stop , nameplates aren't required to enjoy the game at all. I've played every MMO under the sun. Name plates are not and never have been needed. Learn how to keep up with it. Personally I like not having name plates , and why should there not be an option for it? Because I don't want someone else seeing my name everywhere. This lets you stealth and sneak better. Hide behind tree's. If the enemy see's my name sticking out he sides. Really defeats the purpose doesn't it? Theres a lot of reasons NOT to add them. That out weight your need for an ability to run around with a silly name to gain attention. You get confused between an NPC and a player? GOOD YOU SHOULD BE. That's the point. To not be able to identify one or the other. As if pointing your mosue over it and seeing (banker , leather worker , armorer ) isn't enough.

That's good for you, but they are something I need to enjoy it because I love the social atmosphere they create.

As for stealth, I think I remember reading somewhere that if you're stealthed and off to the side somewhere hiding, you're invisible to them unless they're close and in their line of vision so having your nameplate stick out really wouldn't make much of a difference. Plus, players can already create floating hp bars above your head from the settings.

• Endalaure
    Endalaure
    Soul Shriven
    I like that there is no name plates. However, it would be nice to see those "chat bubbles" for /say comments etc, so you know that the player in front of you is talking to you without having to /whisper directly to you and maybe not realizing that they're standing right in front of you. Makes me feel like a goof.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a nameplate addon.
    By addon, I mean a file you load into your os ESO addon folder, not a change to the core game.
    Players in opposition need not be concerned.
    Edited by Path on April 7, 2014 3:53AM
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    between no name plates and with a guild full of USERNAMES, in some senses characters are worthless. You cant know if a guildie or friend is right next to you, and lets face it even if you knew it was a guildie you wouldnt know their character name because you are only use to their USERNAME. This is one of my main problems with the game, they go on about immersion and then use USERNAME as our identity. Stupid and flawed and certainly not Roleplay friendly.

i can live without name plates, though wish NPC had them, its hard to find them in some crowded places. Thankfully there is a subtle UI mod to show guildie/friend but still that lives us with the ever so lame username idea.
    Edited by byghostlightrwb17_ESO on April 7, 2014 4:35AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »
    I'm having a really hard time getting into this game without nameplates, it just feels lifeless, like everyone is a npc. Does anyone know if there are any nameplate addons yet?

It was weird for me at first too.

But after playing this game for awhile I can see why the developers did it like this. It makes the player actually look into and explore the environments to find things. It's not just running to different nameplates and then clicking them. So it does wonders for immersion, though initially it might be frustrating.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »
    I'm having a really hard time getting into this game without nameplates, it just feels lifeless, like everyone is a npc. Does anyone know if there are any nameplate addons yet?

There will never be nameplates get used to it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    But after playing this game for awhile I can see why the developers did it like this. It makes the player actually look into and explore the environments to find things. It's not just running to different nameplates and then clicking them. So it does wonders for immersion, though initially it might be frustrating.

Yeah, instead of looking for the name plates, we look for giant triangles floating above the people we need to interact with.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, instead of looking for the name plates, we look for giant triangles floating above the people we need to interact with.

That's only for quest givers so I think you're exaggerating a bit.

I'm far more often looking for actual objects than I am triangles above NPCs. And it does give the game a more immersive explorative feel than other MMORPGs I have played.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 7, 2014 4:53AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm far more often looking for actual objects than I am triangles above NPCs. And it does give the game a more immersive explorative feel than other MMORPGs I have played.

Yeah, but hopefully you did not miss the point.

For anything important in the game, and yes that generally means quest related, there is a triangle floating above it. One does not need a nameplate over quest related NPCs when one does not even need to know the name.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For anything important in the game, and yes that generally means quest related, there is a triangle floating above it. One does not need a nameplate over quest related NPCs when one does not even need to know the name.

That's some of the quests in the game, many quests and locales are given by reading books or talking to unmarked but named npcs
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's late so I think I did miss your point.

So basically you were saying nameplates aren't needed because the game already has their own version of nameplates, the triangles. And I can't argue with that.

I was mostly just referring to the absence of nameplates generally on the environment as a whole, such as nodes and things of that nature. I feel it helps make the player explore the game and actually look for things.

At first it was cumbersome for me, since I was used to other types of MMORPGs. But now I've come to appreciate it.

Edited by Jeremy on April 7, 2014 5:12AM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    between no name plates and with a guild full of USERNAMES, in some senses characters are worthless. You cant know if a guildie or friend is right next to you, and lets face it even if you knew it was a guildie you wouldnt know their character name because you are only use to their USERNAME. This is one of my main problems with the game, they go on about immersion and then use USERNAME as our identity. Stupid and flawed and certainly not Roleplay friendly.

i can live without name plates, though wish NPC had them, its hard to find them in some crowded places. Thankfully there is a subtle UI mod to show guildie/friend but still that lives us with the ever so lame username idea.

This is what I was talking about since many beta's ago. even made a thread on it.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you OP , both the name plate and the chat bubble would be great additions to the game.

Ofc , they could just be optional , those who like it , use it.

I already got that HP bar overhead turned on , so i know exactly who is what from quite far heh.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • petlaura
    petlaura
    Having no nameplates or any means to identify people in the game will be the reason i cancel my subscription to the game in 3 months if nothing changes. Sorry but it makes the game lifeless for me, NOT MMO or role play friendly in the least
  • BackseatSuperstar
    I would be ok with Nameplates as long as i get the option to block my nameplate from being displayed short of targeting me (the way it is now).
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tahoenvy wrote: »
    I am LOVING the no nameplates and no chat bubbles. The whole experience is so much more immersive. PLEASE DO NOT ADD THEM!!!

I am HATING the no nameplates and no chat bubbles. The whole experience is so much more anti-social. PLEASE DO ADD THEM!!!

At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh stop , nameplates aren't required to enjoy the game at all. I've played every MMO under the sun. Name plates are not and never have been needed. Learn how to keep up with it. Personally I like not having name plates , and why should there not be an option for it? Because I don't want someone else seeing my name everywhere. This lets you stealth and sneak better. Hide behind tree's. If the enemy see's my name sticking out he sides. Really defeats the purpose doesn't it? Theres a lot of reasons NOT to add them. That out weight your need for an ability to run around with a silly name to gain attention. You get confused between an NPC and a player? GOOD YOU SHOULD BE. That's the point. To not be able to identify one or the other. As if pointing your mosue over it and seeing (banker , leather worker , armorer ) isn't enough.

This is total rubbish. Nameplates will have no impact on stealth. Health bars already identify non-stealthed pvp players. Nameplates have no effect on stealth and sneak as they will stealth just like health bars.

Fine that you don't want to see names but if it is a toggle it will be there for those that do. Why on earth would you not want people to see your name? the mind boggles.
    Edited by martinhpb16_ESO on April 18, 2014 12:15PM
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • fredarbonab14_ESO
    fredarbonab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of the ~~option~ to have nameplates is total stupidity on the developer's part, unless this is a cost/bandwidth issue. This option is especially important in an MMO (not single player), and ~especially~ on one whose cursor is FIXED in the middle of the screen. I mean really people, get real. Having to move the whole screen, just to see who is a player and who is not or a player's name, is absurd, its not a matter of opinion, it should fall under common sense!

If anyone doesn't like them or appreciate not having them, not offering this option has ~nothing~ to do with you. Don't exercise the option, it is YOUR screen, but don't moralize about what others may want or can see or not see in THEIR screen. Everytime this subject comes up, its like 1/2 is selling the other on the value of not having nameplates, why? Why not give people the option, since you are not sharing the screen?

The OP is speaking for himself and not for anyone else. ESO is quite bright in 99% of its decision and implementation, but this is a foolish decision, IF there are not some other 'hidden' costs involved. IF! The 'immersion' argument is total nonsense, because that couldn't possibly be the REAL reason, for its way, way too risque (business wise) for the sake of some philosophical gaming theory.
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    They already have people useing cheats they can see u stealthed crouched in pvp loose.