Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does the Nord need a buff?

• DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And you people still won't admit that racials are a hindrance to the game...

Passives are needed, but the passives in this game are just to strong in most cases.

Passives should be things that matter to a point, but nothing that will tip the scales. Giving a race 5% crit damage or whatever the Khajitt one is is tipping the scales. Really the Nord passives are perfectly in line with what you should expect.
  • Protoavis73
    Protoavis73
    ✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Tho if you definitely did want to try something new I'd lean towards levelling a new character (I have 14) since you don't want to pay to discover you're worse off.

Thats what I'm a bit afraid of, to pay money/crowns and to find out it's not really that much better.
    Thanks, I'll first try a new character and see how that works out. (though not too fond of doing the main quests again).
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote would be an increase to Physical Damage. 1%, 2%, 3%.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nords don't need a buff, they are the only race immune to the "ice perma-immobilize cancer builds ruining BGs." Also, thanks to diminishing returns on mitigation, nords are actually better for builds that mitigate less damage.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nords don't need a buff.
    And ofc it's is purely academic talking, they will not buff it.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I have suggested before, Nords should come with a 5 second potion cooldown reduction. Nords should be able to drink more frequently than other races. That would be a unique sustain buff.

Now THAT is a brilliant idea.
    Nords are the drinkers!
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Actually the damage reduction passive is kinda weak. If it stacked properly with minor/major protection and CP mitigation it would be much better.

That would be the only buff I would ask for my Nord. Make the damage reduction mean something. If they did that then I think they are a solid class.
    Playing since beta...
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS don’t want you to play a Nord. If all of us fresh faced Skyrim lore junkies had a choice when we started we’d ALL be Nords lol
  • CrimsonGTX
    CrimsonGTX
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Nords need a passive buff which shouldn't be hard to implement.
    Sheey wrote: »
    Yes. Nord needs to be increased mag and hp. Since we have imperial having max stam and hp already.

Nords don't really need mag in their kit. Under the stalwart passive they should have something like....Increases Max Health & Stamina by 4, 7, 10% And under the Frost Resist passive it should be something like Increases Health Recovery by 6, 13 & 20% and Cold Resistance. This would put them more closer to their lore strengths.

Imperials should have mag in their kit, something more restoration base like the Resourceful passive that Argonians(they shouldn't have it) have.
    Sorc & Warden Main - PC NA(CP 1k+) & Xbox NA (CP 1k+)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    I came to ESO completely blank a few months ago and didn't know anything about differences in races and the strength that goes with it. Just thought it was the outside and you could shape your character afterwards (which is somewhat true of course).
    So you've guessed it, I choose a Nord Nightblade in the Ebonheart Pact and my main weapon is a bow.
    Not the best armour/weapons sets yet, but I have a 5 piece Champion of the Hist and 5 piece Dead-Water set, all purple (trying to get to gold).
    I think I couldn't have made a worse choice haha, but I'm mostly playing solo (dungeons) and I'm fine at CP 250 now.
    But recently I'm doing more PvE and Battlegrounds and I notice that the choice is now working against me (plus I just have to get more experience).
    What would be the best thing to do? Just play with the Nord which I have now, make a new character and slowly level up to 50 (keeping the CP's) or get the adventure pack and change the race? Leaning to the last option, but not sure if it's the best choice.

In all honesty gold armour doesn't do much, gold your weapons and monster set first & if you decide you'll use your armour for a long long time then gold it out.

Unless you're going for end game content no other race will really be better than another, nords have tankyness, redguards have sustain, imperial have tankyness (in the form of healing), argonians have sustain, you just have to build around your strengths.

PvP wise it's all L2P, I've seen people 1vX in the worst possible gear literally all down to skill and awareness. Post in the PvP chat for some suggestions.

Tho if you definitely did want to try something new I'd lean towards levelling a new character (I have 14) since you don't want to pay to discover you're worse off.

Even a gold monster set is debatable, depending on the one you pick. Some do not provide any meaningful bonus based on their quality level.
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I have suggested before, Nords should come with a 5 second potion cooldown reduction. Nords should be able to drink more frequently than other races. That would be a unique sustain buff.

good idea and of course makes sense lorewise :)
    at a place nobody knows
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Witar wrote: »
    Nords are stupid and distrustful of magicks. Mage races are supposed to be smart to get extra magicka. Giving nords magicka passive will be extremely bad choice lorewise.

Looks like someone has only played Skyrim.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »

Until then, in the words of James Brown: Nords! Huh! What are they good for.....? Absolutely nothin'!

I think you mean Edwin Starr. :smiley:
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    agegarton wrote: »

Until then, in the words of James Brown: Nords! Huh! What are they good for.....? Absolutely nothin'!

I think you mean Edwin Starr. :smiley:

I prefer the version by The Boss.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CrimsonGTX wrote: »
    Yes. Nord needs to be increased mag and hp. Since we have imperial having max stam and hp already.

Nords don't really need mag in their kit. Under the stalwart passive they should have something like....Increases Max Health & Stamina by 4, 7, 10% And under the Frost Resist passive it should be something like Increases Health Recovery by 6, 13 & 20% and Cold Resistance. This would put them more closer to their lore strengths.

Imperials should have mag in their kit, something more restoration base like the Resourceful passive that Argonians(they shouldn't have it) have.

Lol nords have frost damage. Look at oblivion. And they respected frost mages in the first era meaning that magic might be weakened but still in their blood.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound?
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

Not really. But there are a few little birds that tweet away. Nightingales sing songs when the frost begins to thaw.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on November 20, 2018 2:51AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

If you put a Khajiit in a box can it be both alive and dead?
  • CrimsonGTX
    CrimsonGTX
    ✭✭✭

Lol nords have frost damage. Look at oblivion. And they respected frost mages in the first era meaning that magic might be weakened but still in their blood.

I know they have nordic frost, would u rather them take away the rugged passive for frost damage? Unless ZOS buff frost damage I figured it's no point right now. They possibly could remove the Increases the duration of any consumed drink passive for frost damage also, But they have to give up something to get that buff.
    Sorc & Warden Main - PC NA(CP 1k+) & Xbox NA (CP 1k+)
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Apparently first era Nords also had unusual forms of enchantment that no one else understands even today (Stalhrim). They were animistic in some areas and monotheists in others. At any regard I would not recommend Nords get Frost Damage at all. My only suggestion would be to give them 10% stamina and call it good.

As for Imperials I feel like Red Diamond is a short end of the stick. I would much rather they received something that represents their 'lucky' elements or their jack of all trades elements. This could either be +Magic or +Crit. Either would be fine and would make the unreliable Red Diamond be a better Red Diamond. Those of you Nords who think Red Diamond is better than your Health regen bonus are ridiculous. Nordic Health regen is ALWAYS ON. Red Diamond requires that you 1) STrike someone in melee and 2) that 10% of the time it will give you a burst of health, which requires 3) That you have actually health that needs healing. All of these issues conspire to make this passive nigh worthless. If they made Red Diamond more reliable like Adrenaline Rush I suppose that would work although frankly they should call this form of Imperial Colovian and not Imperial, as it does not thematically describe the race as a whole. The alternate 'jack of all trades' version would trade current Red diamond to either be a +Crit Bonus or give them +Mag. Either solution would probably fix the flaws of this race.

Nords are actually designed in a good way right now they are simply being shown up by Argonians or Orcs who outshine them in either tankiness or aggressive warriorness respectively. I consider Nords Tankier than Imperials and Imperials more aggressive than Nords but they're essentially the same. The Frost resist is a little low in my view on Nords as well. Dial that up to the 5k that Bretons get for Spell Resist and I'll be happier. Another alternate choice is to make their Health Regeneration stronger than what it is if the tank-factor is what they're going for. On the whole I really like Nords though. I think the problem the Devs have is with balancing Tank vs. DD and therefore the races built either more tank or more dd are effected by those changes. Other concerns are 'max attribute' vs. 'max regen' in this game.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I know they have nordic frost, would u rather them take away the rugged passive for frost damage? Unless ZOS buff frost damage I figured it's no point right now. They possibly could remove the Increases the duration of any consumed drink passive for frost damage also, But they have to give up something to get that buff.

I never said they should remove anything :)
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Apparently first era Nords also had unusual forms of enchantment that no one else understands even today (Stalhrim). They were animistic in some areas and monotheists in others. At any regard I would not recommend Nords get Frost Damage at all. My only suggestion would be to give them 10% stamina and call it good.

As for Imperials I feel like Red Diamond is a short end of the stick. I would much rather they received something that represents their 'lucky' elements or their jack of all trades elements. This could either be +Magic or +Crit. Either would be fine and would make the unreliable Red Diamond be a better Red Diamond. Those of you Nords who think Red Diamond is better than your Health regen bonus are ridiculous. Nordic Health regen is ALWAYS ON. Red Diamond requires that you 1) STrike someone in melee and 2) that 10% of the time it will give you a burst of health, which requires 3) That you have actually health that needs healing. All of these issues conspire to make this passive nigh worthless. If they made Red Diamond more reliable like Adrenaline Rush I suppose that would work although frankly they should call this form of Imperial Colovian and not Imperial, as it does not thematically describe the race as a whole. The alternate 'jack of all trades' version would trade current Red diamond to either be a +Crit Bonus or give them +Mag. Either solution would probably fix the flaws of this race.

Nords are actually designed in a good way right now they are simply being shown up by Argonians or Orcs who outshine them in either tankiness or aggressive warriorness respectively. I consider Nords Tankier than Imperials and Imperials more aggressive than Nords but they're essentially the same. The Frost resist is a little low in my view on Nords as well. Dial that up to the 5k that Bretons get for Spell Resist and I'll be happier. Another alternate choice is to make their Health Regeneration stronger than what it is if the tank-factor is what they're going for. On the whole I really like Nords though. I think the problem the Devs have is with balancing Tank vs. DD and therefore the races built either more tank or more dd are effected by those changes. Other concerns are 'max attribute' vs. 'max regen' in this game.

Ice tanks are a thing in the game and nord is the perfect race for the 7% frost damage because lorewise, it makes logical sence. This being said, it doesnt matter anyway since ice gets ignored a lot.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on November 20, 2018 3:42AM
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cold damage increase would be good to see
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ice tanks are a thing in the game and nord is the perfect race for the 7% frost damage because lorewise, it makes logical sence. This being said, it doesnt matter anyway since ice gets ignored a lot.

Doing more frost damage has nothing to do with ice tanking. I'd rather see the Nord Frost (and lightning) resist go up to be more traditional.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 6% damage reduction passive is underrated, because for the most part it's drowned out by CP mitigation. But in fact it's equivalent to about 4K spell & physical resistance. I can definitely feel it as a medium armor player with just under 20K HP in no-CP Cyrodiil & BGs.

I just have to think that a Nord stamDK or stamblade would be better in pvp than a redguard.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes, nord does need improvement but unfortunately they will just nerf everything else instead of buff nord
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    The 6% damage reduction passive is underrated, because for the most part it's drowned out by CP mitigation. But in fact it's equivalent to about 4K spell & physical resistance. I can definitely feel it as a medium armor player with just under 20K HP in no-CP Cyrodiil & BGs.

I just have to think that a Nord stamDK or stamblade would be better in pvp than a redguard.

Well, it really depends on your play style, but DK will benefit the most, since it lacks the burst of NB, so he needs to be in the fight for longer to score a kill. Also on DKs Redguard's Adrenaline Rush is not that needed since they have other ways to sustain such as Combustion, Helping Hands and Battle Roar. A tanky race such as Nord, Orc, Imperial or even Argonian would work better in PvP for Stamina DK, instead of Redguard. As for NB, Redguard is fine, but also Wood Elf (great stamina recovery, immune to poison & diseased status), Orc (especially if you combo 2W/2H, instead of bow), and even Khajiit would work well. Nord doesn't really have synergies with NB play style.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Doing more frost damage has nothing to do with ice tanking. I'd rather see the Nord Frost (and lightning) resist go up to be more traditional.

Tanks still have to do damage. Look at gripping shards!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Tanks still have to do damage. Look at gripping shards!

That's exactly what I'm scared about. It will be 7% of nothing, so nothing. Worse still, what will they take away from us to give us that nothing? :P I'm sorry but I don't think its worth the frost damage.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on November 20, 2018 12:23PM
    <And plenty more>
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Nords perform better in the buff...increases running speed and sustained stamina...

https://youtu.be/Pjq7KP2YV_w