The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Future Magicka ReVamp Wishlist

mojomood
mojomood
✭✭✭
When the shield nerfs were announced, ZOS also said that they were looking into revamping magSorcs specifically and magicka characters. To that end, I've made a bit of a wishlist. Please take this as a wishlist knowing that not all (and maybe none) will ever happen. If they all were to happen, the game wouldn't be balanced in favor of magicka instead of stamina (which I don't want). Please add to the discussion.

Change defensive mechanic calculations
Good read with all the math. A pic halfway through the post is a good overview.
TL;DR Change dodge roll and break free to a base cost plus percent of max stamina. Medium builds should stay the same, but magicka will be able to use these mechanics more effectively without being cornered into specific sets/food to stack stam.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5478612#Comment_5478612

Dark/Blood/Oblivion Magicka Weapon Line
I'd like to see another option for magicka players come from a new weapon line. Attacks would be magic unless specifically marked as oblivion.
~One handed weapon (All skills can be used with one and shield or dual wielding. DW only increases spell damage)
~Focus on much closer range (Max 20 meters)
~Light Attacks and Heavy attacks are melee

Weapon Skills
~Hard CC
~Self-buff (Sorcery for 30 seconds, Snare Removal/Immunity for 4 seconds or Healing received for 30 seconds)
~Execute that scales starting at 50%
The last two and the ultimate are flexible but here are ideas:
~DoT that does Oblivion damage (change oblivion to scale on spell damage/magicka and work like bleeds w/Crit, no resistance, but add protections, etc that currently apply to bleeds)
~Single target debuff that applies minor breach/defile with a morph that changes them to Major, but you get minor versions. (or other seldom used/poison only minor debuffs)
~Toggle that when on stops all healing received and adds an oblivion DoT but makes your light and heavy attacks oblivion damage for 3 seconds
~Ultimate - 10 Seconds that all attacks ignore Spell Resistance (going with the oblivion theme. This ability would be similar to Corrosive Armor offensively but without the defensive component)
~Ultimate - Costs 75 ultimate to activate and stops ultimate generation once activated but does drain all ultimate. Buffs the damage of your next Ultimate by X %. Basically, save ultimate a little longer, cast this buff, bar swap, cast a buffed ultimate of choice. (like toggling on overload so you can bar swap and drop a more powerful version).

~Passives focus on damage (crit, execute damage, spell damage modifier, etc) and ultimate generation

Encourage a melee playstyle with magicka characters that typically avoid melee range (magSorcs) and synergize with playstyles that already operate in melee range (magDK, magPlar). The damage could pair very nicely with magSorcs since they already do a good bit of damage. Classes lacking an execute in PvE and PvP would benefit. Lastly, this gives a fair way for both mag and stam to have higher damage in close range and lower damage at longer range.

Magicka Classes
MagDen
~Give them a stun
~Lose the double cast swarm for something else. (Honestly, most double cast or skill pairing buffs are trash. Asylum staff and bow as the exceptions)
~A lot more can be said here, just make sure it helps close the gap between MagDen and StamDen

MagSorc
~Buff their damage. With the shield change, they are glasscannons.
~Lower the increased cost on streak

MagPlar and MagDK
~Both would benefit most from a new magicka melee weapon line, but could use other buffs. Would love to hear from you on these!

MagBlade
~Allow Soul Harvest at range with less damage or at melee range with buffed damage. Magblades in No CP still use Incap because Soul Harvest is so far behind
~Make Cripple non-reflectable (it's used more for the CC than the DoT in PvP)
~Decrease the total heal on Swallow Soul but make it instant and not a HoT (It's evolved into a spammable, give the heal up front. PvE gets better DPS from Elemental Weapon now anyway)

These are just ideas and opinions. Most are not new as I've seen most of these in discord, forums, youtube, or experienced in game. I don't know the pain points for each class so please add to (or shoot down) this list as you see fit.
Edited by mojomood on October 29, 2018 9:00PM
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka needs no favors with dodge rolling. That’s clearly a feature of stamina and with proper resource management magicka builds should be able to both maintain their stam pool while also being quite survivable using the defensive techniques exclusively available to magicka. In regards to magicka weapon, keep in mind that the reason stam has more available weapon lines is that magicka has most of the class skills. That being said, a proper melee magicka weapon tree as a parallel to dual wield would be very welcome. I really miss dual wield Sorc and Templar. Any buffs to magicka should come thru weapon lines, itemization (think magicka fury and 7th), and appropriate buffs to classes. In particular Mag Sorc and Magden need some love. Magplar, mDK, and magblade are all in a pretty good spot and just need some minor tweaks.

Glyphs are a major problem and need to be reassessed, and especially how glyphs interact with dual wield weapons. Naturally, by there being 2 weapons the individual glyph strength should be weaker. But outside of that Stamina and Magicka are quite at par these days- especially with the nerf to speed pots. The gap really isn’t as big as people make it seem and neither archetype needs sweeping buffs or nerfs.
    Edited by CyrusArya on November 8, 2018 6:48AM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    Magicka needs no favors with dodge rolling. That’s clearly a feature of stamina and with proper resource management magicka builds should be able to both maintain their stam pool while also being quite survivable using the defensive techniques exclusively available to magicka. In regards to magicka weapon, keep in mind that the reason stam has more available weapon lines is that magicka has most of the class skills. That being said, a proper melee magicka weapon tree as a parallel to dual wield would be very welcome. I really miss dual wield Sorc and Templar. Any buffs to magicka should come thru weapon lines, itemization (think magicka fury and 7th), and appropriate buffs to classes. In particular Mag Sorc and Magden need some love. Magplar, mDK, and magblade are all in a pretty good spot and just need some minor tweaks.

Glyphs are a major problem and need to be reassessed, and especially how glyphs interact with dual wield weapons. Naturally, by there being 2 weapons the individual glyph strength should be weaker. But outside of that Stamina and Magicka are quite at par these days- especially with the nerf to speed pots. The gap really isn’t as big as people make it seem and neither archetype needs sweeping buffs or nerfs.

I was waiting for the enchant changes to be reviewed and adjusted before I made that assessment. But overall light armor got some nice mobility buffs and magplar got the stamina sustain it needed to stop being stuck till "death by stam drain" that sometimes happens in pvp.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual