The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

I will never let a character hit level 50

• Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone is a roleplayer extremist like you.
  • Aurayna
    Aurayna
    ✭✭✭
    I was so excite when my character got to level 50 I thought I would become one of those players that could easily kill a boss .... No such luck ! :(

I have discovered I am rubbish at fighting ! I ignore all the things you are supposed to pick up in the heat of the moment and just go for it ...

Its true I have improved somewhat at combat, but really I am here because I love the lore, exploration, crafting and questing (to an extent)

So being over level 50 doesn't always mean you can rule the universe of Tamriel

PC - EU
  • emma666
    emma666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're under the assumption that everyone plays ESO for the quests and lore just because you are. Many players quest because of skillpoints or XP solely, I'm one of them. You also come off as hugely condescending by looking down on people who don't appreciate ESO's objectively bad quests. :blush:
    Nymeria - Ebonheart - Grand Overlady - Imperial Templar - Havoc

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    bethsheba wrote: »
    Just a random rant/statement. There is so much lore, so many quests and so much to do in a continually growing game here. I actually feel bad for you cp players. I see you run in, talk to an npc for a half a second, kill everything with a wave of one hand, then run off. How are you not completely bored by this game at this point? Is it actually fun to do the same trial, arena, dungeon for the 1000th time? Don't get me started on the 1T debacle, I know it won't ever get rolled back or changed and even with a level 10 character I find the fights as I go through questing content to be too easy, and that is without any cp on any character, it's just a vanilla character. I stay for the lore, the mystery, the storylines, the interesting populace, and even though I have been here for years, I still haven't even done any of the the dlc content, so I know I have so much yet to explore.
    But, yeah, if hitting cp levels means this type of content becomes even less of a challenge than it already is, sorry Beth's characters, I will kill you off before you reach 50.

I have a capped characters and been playing for a year *replaying) I understand what you're saying. I didn't rush to get to CP 810 myself. I just do a lot of trials and dungeons with friends. I love the lore and have never rushed it. I only just finished the ebonheart pact quests and about to go northwest of the map finally. I play on many different characters and each time I like to listen to the stories, taking my time. I do see so many people just running through places, like delves picking up all the baddies, dying in front of the soul shard, getting up - grabbing the soul shard, then running out of the delve lol. Yeah although perhaps they have already done all the quests and listened to them many times and some ppl just want to do end game content and tired of the lore until the new lore comes out. To each their own. I'll keep revisiting old quests to hear the stories personally.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Uhm. A little off base here, OP.

I am a slow leveler and I have a number of Level 50 characters, and around 800 CP. I have more that are below 50. I have been playing since the end of March 2014. I am not afraid to cross that Level 50 boundary. This does not mean that I am zooming through content without reading it. Quite the opposite. ESO has wonderful writing. Not to be missed.

this. I also personaly love it that over world feels easier nowadays. allows me to enjoy the stories and exploration without getting frustrated by combat.

it is actualy my fondest wish that they at some point add solo dungeons just so that one could experience their stores at their own pace instead of going at the pace of a group.

that said.. the fun , at least for me in running dungeons even over and over - is in teamwork. playing together with other people, and accomplishing tasks together. especially when its guild groups and you are messing around in voice chat. it can be a very lovely social experience and a good way to make new friends. (and sometimes it can also be a frustrating experience and dealing with jerks, but its pretty much the same in RL)

P.S. I'm that weirdo that re-watches favorite shows and movies, rereads favorite books and replays favorite games pretty regularly. so playing the same quests on different characters is fun for me, especially when I can make different choices on them

Aside from the grouping aspects, I agree 100%. Combat prior to the CP levels always got in my way of enjoying the actual story. There's nothing like taking 20+ minutes going from door to door in, say, Camlorn with dense packs of mobs that take eleventy-trillion years to kill, only to get to the next quest stage and find out you have to go back and re-kill them all over again. I'd take a day or two to liberate a single town because I needed constant breaks. Not to mention that leveling made my gear obsolete over and over again-- which got really old really fast.

Now I can relax and enjoy the good writing, the visual storytelling, the music, and the environments instead of being a tight wad of stress. And now at 160+, I can relax on gear altogether. I don't need to play another game to wind down from this one.

Questing is the same at CP-whatever. You just kill things a little faster.
  • bethsheba
    bethsheba
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_PT wrote: »
    There is so much truth to this post. I have focused less on questing and more on dailies and dungeons and suddenly find myself at 1100+ CP. When I decide to do a little quest hub, because Cadwel's Silver won't run itself, my general reaction is 'that's it?' Talk to NPC, kill 3 mobs, interact with objective, go back to NPC. Quest done in 2 minutes, and that's while not skipping dialogue. In fact the only dialogue I skip is for the dailies. I can listen to regular quest NPCs 8 times, that's how many chars I have. Yes even those from the Murkmire intro quest.

So the last couple of days and since the whole Nerfmire affair sucked some joy off the game, I decided to go full immersion mode. No chat. Game music and sound on. No sprinting. In fact, no running. At all. Even on horseback, always walk mode. Several people must have found me crazy, RP walking through the hag fens on my own.

But you know what? I found something I thought ESO did not have, or had long forgotten about its existence. An immersive and mesmerizing world. To look at the sun rays sifting through the fog and the mossy trees. To walk by a travelling merchant and hear what their comments on the road are. To follow the pathways at an NPC's request and deliver a message to the next town. Listen to the sound of my horse's hooves on the different types of surfaced. See the birds fly away as I approach. The critters running by. The rivers flowing. The way the shadows change as the hours go by. I'd find myself just staring at the scenery in awe, and felt empathy for even those nameless NPCs whose only purpose is to make a place look lived in.

Granted I can still pretty much one shot every mob. Faolchu sounded like a horrid beast and when I faced him, he dropped in five seconds. But that's fine. We're supposed ro be heroes after all. And above all I found a joy in ESO I would truly never fathom.

All this just by going slower.

Love your post <3
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 600+ CPs and a maxed crafter. I started to play ESO becuse of lore and Tamriel zones I never seen before. I ended in leveling, chasing builds and hunting motifs. No fun, no lazy questing, no enjoyable exploration...

So I created new characters to play with! I don't care for leveling, sets, builds, nerfs and all that things anymore. Any level is ok to do quests, and I'm happy with this. At last I play ESO in the way I wanted to at the very begining!
    What I decided to do: a bunch of charismatic characters to experience each zone in their own way. AN Orc for Betnik and Orsinium. Argonian for Shadowfen and Murkmire (and I'm thinking of splitting it even more, as I want a male Argonian as well), Nord for Skyrim areas... And it is really fun
    Edited by myskyrim26 on October 29, 2018 12:33PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jainiadral wrote: »
    Combat prior to the CP levels always got in my way of enjoying the actual story. There's nothing like taking 20+ minutes going from door to door in, say, Camlorn with dense packs of mobs that take eleventy-trillion years to kill, only to get to the next quest stage and find out you have to go back and re-kill them all over again. I'd take a day or two to liberate a single town because I needed constant breaks. Not to mention that leveling made my gear obsolete over and over again-- which got really old really fast.

Now I can relax and enjoy the good writing, the visual storytelling, the music, and the environments instead of being a tight wad of stress. And now at 160+, I can relax on gear altogether. I don't need to play another game to wind down from this one.

Questing is the same at CP-whatever. You just kill things a little faster.

I like your comment, but have a slightly different perspective.

The game world feels different when the overland monsters are not something that can be one-shot, or similarly dealt with in a quick manner.

The main purpose of my Level 50 characters is to chase the quarterly CP cap increase. I am a little over CP 800 right now on my way to CP 810. Getting CP after the cap is a waste of XP, so my desire is to limit CP increases after that point. This means I spend a lot of time doing things in the game that don't build CP. Among those things, I level up characters.

I don't like allocating CP on my Level 50 characters. I tend to do it once a quarter, once I hit CP cap. There is no way I am going to allocate CP across my other characters. That means that I am leveling without CP. As it turns out, I like it that way. The game world feels more challenging, and I feel like I am more connected with what is happening. I don't just plow through them. I have to take a break to regenerate resources between groups of mobs. Sometimes, I go out of my way to go around them.

I've been the person who solos public dungeons and overland content, including world bosses. I still am, actually, although I have stopped soloing the world bosses. I realized years ago, when I was gearing up to go solo on early group dungeon content, that I was heading in the wrong direction.

The key to happiness, for me, is not a more powerful character, one-shotting overland content, and running the hardest content in the game. It is actually the journey to get to the point where I start to think I can do that, and then go back and start over.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you played all the Elder Scroll games, and many other RPGs, and have used countless hours reading dialogue, you realize that hardly any of the quests are actually new. It's the same type of quests regurgitated. The first time running a character through -- read quickly until you understand that you've done this type of quest before. Then every other time through -- mash the continue button and move on.
  • Duukar
    Duukar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try PvP if you want a challenge. Its the only thing that keeps me coming back honestly.

Also VMA is tough.
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a random rant/statement. There is so much lore, so many quests and so much to do in a continually growing game here. I actually feel bad for you cp players. I see you run in, talk to an npc for a half a second, kill everything with a wave of one hand, then run off. How are you not completely bored by this game at this point? Is it actually fun to do the same trial, arena, dungeon for the 1000th time? Don't get me started on the 1T debacle, I know it won't ever get rolled back or changed and even with a level 10 character I find the fights as I go through questing content to be too easy, and that is without any cp on any character, it's just a vanilla character. I stay for the lore, the mystery, the storylines, the interesting populace, and even though I have been here for years, I still haven't even done any of the the dlc content, so I know I have so much yet to explore.
    But, yeah, if hitting cp levels means this type of content becomes even less of a challenge than it already is, sorry Beth's characters, I will kill you off before you reach 50.

Ok.

Does anybody else think it's weird how often people do these, "I play the game this way! And I can't believe you play the game another way!" posts? Maybe it's just me.
  • MusekininKanchou
    MusekininKanchou
    ✭✭✭
    Then you need a way to lock exp at lvl 48. The game is pretty kind to low lvls with the lvl sync to cp160. It seem to really bend you over at like 48 even with gear thats still ok.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emma666 wrote: »
    You're under the assumption that everyone plays ESO for the quests and lore just because you are. Many players quest because of skillpoints or XP solely, I'm one of them. You also come off as hugely condescending by looking down on people who don't appreciate ESO's objectively bad quests. :blush:

Your opinion that the quests are bad = subjective.

You are literally using that word incorrectly.

Not to mention being wrong, ESO quests are well written, fully voice acted and animated and well reasoned.

If you want actually “objectively bad quests” try a free to play Korean mmo like Granado Espada. I loved that game but the quests were, without a doubt, actually bad.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Who is At’avar?

@max_only NPC who appears in one of the Group Dungeons as part of that dingeon's quest; Spindelclutch IIRC.

Huh, I never get a chance to read what Spindleclutch is about and I have 6 max level characters. Maybe that’s why I have no idea who that is.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • emma666
    emma666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    emma666 wrote: »

Your opinion that the quests are bad = subjective.

You are literally using that word incorrectly.

Not to mention being wrong, ESO quests are well written, fully voice acted and animated and well reasoned.

If you want actually “objectively bad quests” try a free to play Korean mmo like Granado Espada. I loved that game but the quests were, without a doubt, actually bad.

Compared to RPGs they are comparably objectively bad and boring. Same type of quests over and over with no depth in characters, but yes it obviously depends on who you ask, but compared to many other games I've played, ESO quests are a snoozefest.
    Nymeria - Ebonheart - Grand Overlady - Imperial Templar - Havoc

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn i sure love reading books instead of actually getting to play the game i might try this 10/10 guide thanks
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Geez, I'm CP790 and my main takes forever to kill things because it is a tank with a lot of attribute points in health. I should probably swap out my Ebon armor when questing, but at least I can solo world bosses though it takes forever.

I do story quests for story. If I want a challenge, I do a DLC dungeon or some other harder content. I want my character able to handle that content.

How long has OP been playing this game? There isn't enough story for years of play just focused on narrative, so I'm not sure why they think they can call what other people like repetitive. How many times are they doing the same story quests on new characters?
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck, I listen to the quests because Steve Blum's voice is so great. I actively seek out the characters he is voicing lol. But, not all of my new characters start in the faction. I've done it all several times. I have three level 50s, one who is almost through gold.
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It isnt fun tbh.. Thats why i retired from pve in exchange for pvp. Nowadays i only find myself pveing if i need gear for a New pvp toon that im making. Or for Tel vars so i can get some quick gold so i can buy potions for my next BG match. In fact the only enyojable thing for me is when New dlcs drop...

This Will happen to most ppl eventually, and the only thing that helps is making your own goals ingame. For example, one of my goals is to get all the attunable set stations for my guild hall. This is what makes me log in everyday, but after that im taking a looong vacation from the game. I have 1k CP, so that buys me about a year vacation from the game lol
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't lose anything by hitting level 50 though. You can choose to not assign champion points, in which case the game will actually be more challenging than it is at < 50.

However, I highly recommend putting Champion Points in the tree that gives you the Plentiful Harvest and Master Gatherer passives.

I always miss them on my sub-50 characters because I only assign Champion Points to them once they hit 50.

But either way, once you've done every quest a few times, you can totally skip dialogue in the ones you don't like in order to complete the map faster. But there are some quests that are precious to me and I savour them on every character.
    The Moot Councillor
  • KaiDynasty
    KaiDynasty
    ✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    you can do questing with max cp characters too, you know.
    i have 14 alts. And I'm going to do all quests with them. 14 times. Sloooooowly.

I see you have a lot of freetime :(
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To each their own. Personally, after a couple of characters, the only thing more boring than rushing through quest is stopping and listening to the NPC dialog. Apart from a few exceptions, I can't click through it fast enough.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing since PC launch with a second account for most of that time. The first account has a couple of level 50s with 200 CPS between them, the second account has no level 50s yet. There are still a few base game zones and a lot of the additional content I've not yet fully explored or quested in, and I haven't done any dungeons, trials or PvP.

There's just so much content now that it's impossible to do it all by the time you get to 50. I'm just continuing to take things slowly and no two characters are following the same path through the game. When I do cover a zone I've done before it's generally one I haven't done anything much in for a year or two and so it's fresh again.

Everything depends on how you choose to play the game. Each to his or her own, of course, but I couldn't personally imagine either rushing through content without bothering at least to read it if not to listen to it, or relying on addons to lead you by the nose to skyshards and lorebooks etc. Although I'm on PC I much prefer not to use any addons at all. They don't offer anything I want and game performance has been nigh on flawless since launch. I don't generally read the lorebooks although I keep meaning to as I know from the ones I have looked at that they're incredibly well written and add enormously to the whole feel of the game. Basically, I see this as a world in which to immerse yourself, rather than an impediment on your way to endgame.
  • Dysturbed
    Dysturbed
    ✭✭✭
    Hitting 50 doesn't mean game over for the questing and such. I ignore the CP and just continue doing the quests and things just like before 50. Nothing changed...
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedRook wrote: »

Ok.

Does anybody else think it's weird how often people do these, "I play the game this way! And I can't believe you play the game another way!" posts? Maybe it's just me.

Considering how many of the replies are basically saying "Once you know more about the game you'll realise the way I play is right and you'll do the same" I don't find it that surprising.

If someone genuinely thinks there's a right way to play then of course they're going to play like that, and will probably be surprised that other people either haven't realised or are deliberately doing it "wrong". And for other people I think it just comes down to the tendency to assume that what you do is normal and everyone else does the same until proven wrong (and even then sometimes insist your way is normal and everyone else is weird).

For example I used to think one of the nice things about RPGs was that your character (and by extension the player) did things just because it needed doing or just because it was there and didn't worry about what the reward was. It came as a real surprise to me when I started talking about them online and not just with my friends and found out a lot of people won't touch a quest unless they need the reward. It just never occurred to me that anyone would play that way because it's so different from my and my friends approach.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SenorCrouch
    SenorCrouch
    ✭✭✭
    Well you have to understand that people have different goals for this game, so their devotion to an aspect of the game might be different than yours. There are some who are not interested in lore, others not interested in PvP, PvE, roleplay....and the list goes on.

For me I found the original story and the DLC stories to be fun and interesting, but they aren't the main reason I play so cutting through a side-quest or what not isn't a huge loss. Fashion Scrolls, Derpy Builds, and Housing are the big 3 reasons I play.

Seeing someone else fly through content you cherish shouldn't bother you at all. Cause the passion you have for your reason for playing is just as strong to that person reaching his or her goal for this game.
    "What's the cross roads of Alessia Castle? I am trying to get pizza delivered."
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck selling level 49 gear.
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has to be the dumbest thing I've read all day. If you keep deleting your characters before they hit level 50 you'll never get anywhere in the game. No wonder you've been playing for years without touching any of the DLC.
    Honestly, cease this stupidity at once.
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • kts
    kts
    ✭✭✭
    I play for the challenge/endgame content. Yes overland mobs are easy to kill with high CP but OP, have you done vma, vdsa, dlc dungeons or trials on veteran? The difficulty is MUCH higher than those overland mobs you kill when questing.

Don't delete your charcters and get to 160cp, you'll soon realize 160cp is only the beginning and not the end.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do all the quests on the same character, reaching level 50 is unavoidable. To each their own, but you frankly sound silly to me. I always take my time with quests the first time through. That said, there is nothing wrong with leveling in other ways once you have don’t it a time or two, especially if you want to play more than one class at end game.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 29, 2018 6:05PM