Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

PvP “slotting” issue

DUTCH_REAPER
DUTCH_REAPER
✭✭✭✭✭
ZOS is there any way to allow us to slot different items while we are in combat again? Siege, skills able to be swappable adds a pretty dynamic component allowing players to adapt to the situation on the battlefield ie keep defense or offense.
Edited by DUTCH_REAPER on October 28, 2018 11:08PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah seriously, I see no valid reason why we shouldn't be able to change skills slots on combat. I mean you run a huge risk in opening your menu and changing skill slots and may get murdered in the process anyway, so why not?

Not allowing this just causes unnecessary inconvenience.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not like we have an unfair advantage lol. I mean like the commenter above said. It’s a risk to take. But allows more fluidity on the battlefield. We need this back ZOS please.
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, I see no valid reason why we shouldn't be able to change skills slots on combat. I mean you run a huge risk in opening your menu and changing skill slots and may get murdered in the process anyway, so why not?

Because of the API. It would take a significant amount of resources to change the API to prevent addons being made that would allow totally different load-outs to be swapped in/out during combat.

But hey, I'm game. I'd welcome the massive advantage such an addon could give me :)

On a side note, they really do need to hammer down and decide an appropriate timer for "in combat". I'd say 30-60 seconds after taking damage sounds reasonable to me. Because this 30 minutes to log out is not fun.
    Edited by Xeniph on October 29, 2018 12:49AM
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • dassneakereb17_ESO
    dassneakereb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    it would take less than 5 minutes to write addon/script that allows you to use any skill on keybind
    someone was already exploiting this probably
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want my Magicka Warden to not be stuck in combat for ages. Played most of a BG with the wrong bar setup because I couldn't get out of combat to switch things out (and it wasn't just due to constant fighting, either).
  • Eclipse0990
    Eclipse0990
    ✭✭✭
    Either they need to allow swapping skills in combat or they need to fix combat bug. Why can they just not make combat range based? So basically if you are x meters away from your enemy, you are out of combat. This could be a very simple way to fix this issue. Going by history, ZOS has tried a lot of things but this bug has remained.
    Raid leader for Undead Nuns (DC-EU-KaalWhaterveritscallednowdays)
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    it would take less than 5 minutes to write addon/script that allows you to use any skill on keybind

Gear swapping was being exploited on PC with Clever Alchemist - this is why the in combat requirement was added for that set. I can't see a big problem with being able to swap skills in combat but it will be exploited by some.
    Edited by JAwtunes on October 29, 2018 8:08AM
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS is there any way to allow us to slot different items while we are in combat again? Siege, skills able to be swappable adds a pretty dynamic component allowing players to adapt to the situation on the battlefield ie keep defense or offense.

No
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JAwtunes wrote: »

Gear swapping was being exploited on PC with Clever Alchemist - this is why the in combat requirement was added for that set. I can't see a big problem with being able to swap skills in combat but it will be exploited by some.

Yeah, imagine someone being a weapon master :D I have every weapon line at 50 on some chars and the skills of almost every line on my hybrids...
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    At least Swapskills continued & Alpha gear (i think)addons have a hotkey for changing out skills for PC. This is how many people slot rapid quickly for horse simulator. There's also an addon that will slot rapid if you mount your horse. With people being stuck in combat, these are no longer of any use but then again, I have my doubts that being stuck in combat for minutes at a time is far from intended.

I'm more bothered about the fact that if i engage some enemies outside a keep and come inside the keep to defend more safely, I can't slot anything in my quickslots despite not having engaged in combat for many seconds and on many occassions, even minutes.

What's the use in going inside a keep to defend if you can't slot a meatbag or a fire ballista or whatever??? Should i just stand at the side of the keep attacking the enemies and risk getting killed just because the game won't let me change to the relevant siege weapons to use defensive rather than attacking siege for instance?? Since Murkmire dropped, you basically have to have the range of items you would generally want to use permanently in your quickslots which tends to mean you're gimping yourself somewhere whether it is potions, attacking siege or defending siege and i have serious doubts that this is intended or if it is, then ZOS are rendering many people defending/attacking keeps completely useless. This isn't really consistent with the fast pace that ZOS seem to want combat to work in general for sure.

A couple of patches ago, you could go into stealth and after 5-10 seconds you could change what you had in your slots. Now i'm in the middle of nowhere, not having engaged anyone in ages and i CAN'T EVEN GET INTO STEALTH!!!

Definite SMH material and another bullet in the foot for ZOS as far as i'm concerned.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean you run a huge risk in opening your menu and changing skill slots and may get murdered in the process anyway, so why not?

You forget some people are able to make addons. Imagine an addon to change your skillbar, by pressing a key. Imagine this guy you are fighting, you will say it's CHEAT, right ?

That's a valid reason for me;
    Edited by Xarc on October 29, 2018 10:02AM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it people already exploit everything in this game that they can. And honestly if they want to swap to a different gear set go ahead. I want something done about the stuck in combat bs. If someone really needs to go around switching builds to try and cheese every fight go for it I say. But as I suggested and others amended in my thread, connecting it to sheathing weapons and a timer would be a pretty decent idea. That way if someone wanted to change their entire loadout they’d have to sheath weapons and then wait 15 seconds or whatever. But if they’re attacked again by any damage including dots it would negate the timer and they would have to start again. I think this would be a big enough deterrent for almost anyone, unless you’re fighting complete noobs in which case they’re dead anyway.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear and skills are one thing. I can see why they restrict that - you should not be able to have a rock for every scissor on the whim of a button press.

The issue really is changing siege and being eternally in combat. They need to fix these.
    Edited by Feanor on October 29, 2018 10:23AM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • killahsin
    killahsin
    ✭✭✭
    Xeniph wrote: »

Because of the API. It would take a significant amount of resources to change the API to prevent addons being made that would allow totally different load-outs to be swapped in/out during combat.

But hey, I'm game. I'd welcome the massive advantage such an addon could give me :)

On a side note, they really do need to hammer down and decide an appropriate timer for "in combat". I'd say 30-60 seconds after taking damage sounds reasonable to me. Because this 30 minutes to log out is not fun.

totally agree with you here. Turn this on and let everyone suffer from the amazing metas that come from this, haha.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarcus wrote: »
    I mean you run a huge risk in opening your menu and changing skill slots and may get murdered in the process anyway, so why not?

You forget some people are able to make addons. Imagine an addon to change your skillbar, by pressing a key. Imagine this guy you are fighting, you will say it's CHEAT, right ?

I don't need to imagine such addons. They already exist.
    This is a very bad idea for so many different reasons!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being able to hotswap skills in-combat, especially with addons, would basically tear down one of the cores of ESO design (choosing skills for your bar).
    Xarcus wrote: »

This addon literally exists (multiple versions, really). It's just limited to out-of-combat use, so it's fine.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear, skills in Combat No. Slottable items Yes
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me get this straight.

I have what I have for skills. I’ve learned them. Yet I can’t slot a skill while in combat? For example. I’m at a keep. Trying to defend it. And I want to slot destro ult. But can’t because of current “in combat”. ?? I’m sorry but non of you have provided a reason articulated enough to explain why I can’t do this.

Point two. I have siege in my bag. I want to slot it. Oh wait I can’t because I’m in combat. I’m sorry but how am I breaking gameplay by slotting siege??

There is no cheat it’s called common sense. If someone makes an add on that exploits report it. But if your telling me the reason I can’t slot siege or change a skill out while in combat is because of someone who will make an add on and exploit well that’s not good enough because for the last 4.5 years we could slot thing while in combat and now it changes??
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Gear and skills are one thing. I can see why they restrict that - you should not be able to have a rock for every scissor on the whim of a button press.

The issue really is changing siege and being eternally in combat. They need to fix these.

This. And it's also annoying that, with the "Stuck in combat"-bugs in the game, that they still made it like this.

Is it really THAT hard for Zenimax to code it, so that "If you've taken damage the last 10 seconds, you can't change skills/quickslots"?

It's slightly annoying when I ride from CHalman to BRK and slot rapids, just to have a group member aggro the NPCs near BRK-Lumber accidentally, and making it impossible for me to de-slot maneuver and slot my combat-useful skill there again.

Or when I siege a keep, in a group, and forget to quickslot my sieges. Then I gotta leave the group => Then ask for a reinvite => Then that reinvite has to work(Which it doesn't always do on the first try....... Even with auto-invite addon enabled).

I agree that you shouldn't be allowed to change skills mid-fight, but not changing it even if your group member is sieging a keep, is annoying.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes thank you! That’s what I’m saying!!
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lieblingsjunge

The HoTs are worse. One Rapid Regen or Mutagen cast and you can’t mount for 30 seconds plus.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lieblingsjunge

The HoTs are worse. One Rapid Regen or Mutagen cast and you can’t mount for 30 seconds plus.

Yeah.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our poor healers can never mount with the rest of us.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have people not played before the patch? There was no way to change skills when you were in active combat, only when you were away from the action, but the game deemed you in combat for whatever reason in which case you also couldn't swap gear. So idk where you are pulling this stuff with addons from. Dressing room and alpha gear exist for ages and would give you no advantage in an actual fight, because they simply don't work like you said...

The change is especially annoying in BGs. If you happen to die and feel like you want to change one of your flexslots, but your team is fighting right in front of your spawn you have no chance to swap the skill at all.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NupidStoob wrote: »
    Have people not played before the patch? There was no way to change skills when you were in active combat, only when you were away from the action, but the game deemed you in combat for whatever reason in which case you also couldn't swap gear. So idk where you are pulling this stuff with addons from. Dressing room and alpha gear exist for ages and would give you no advantage in an actual fight, because they simply don't work like you said...

The change is especially annoying in BGs. If you happen to die and feel like you want to change one of your flexslots, but your team is fighting right in front of your spawn you have no chance to swap the skill at all.

Actually before the Murkmire patch you could change skills while in combat as long as enough time had passed between taking/dealing damage. You could not change gear though until combat was entirely dropped.

They "fixed" this and don't allow changing of skills until combat is completely dropped as well now.

Problem is that combat is now eternally activated even if you have not been involved with it at all, or have performed no action/received no damage for several minutes. That absolutely needs to be fixed.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no word on this?
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. And it's also annoying that, with the "Stuck in combat"-bugs in the game, that they still made it like this.

Is it really THAT hard for Zenimax to code it, so that "If you've taken damage the last 10 seconds, you can't change skills/quickslots"?

It's slightly annoying when I ride from CHalman to BRK and slot rapids, just to have a group member aggro the NPCs near BRK-Lumber accidentally, and making it impossible for me to de-slot maneuver and slot my combat-useful skill there again.

Or when I siege a keep, in a group, and forget to quickslot my sieges. Then I gotta leave the group => Then ask for a reinvite => Then that reinvite has to work(Which it doesn't always do on the first try....... Even with auto-invite addon enabled).

I agree that you shouldn't be allowed to change skills mid-fight, but not changing it even if your group member is sieging a keep, is annoying.

All of this, fully agree and hoping for a fix. Now it feels clunky and have to like exit the "active battle" and go Crouch/sneak behind a corner or something and then HOPE that can switch a skill or siege at quick slot.

Hope they revert this change, the skill & item slot switches worked nicely before the latest changes. Should not "fix" something that is not broken. If atleast the quick slot items (sieges) was able to switch, that would be great.

@ZOS_GinaBruno pretty please, could you pass on these concerns to the combat team? :) Pretty please, with a massive sweetroll on the top? :p
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    This needs fixed.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ZOS since your making changes to racial passives please fix the slotting issue as well.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    that’s nice and all, but I just want to be able to get on my horse or port in a timeframe relevant to the age of the universe
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”