Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bow build, need some help

VeenixO
VeenixO
✭✭
Hi all,

So I decided I want to make a bow ganking build for non-cp (I know most people don't like gankers but as I have been trying some ganking already I can say that gankers have many weaknesses xD).

Anyways, I wanted to go for the build from AlcastHQ with some small differences.

This is the set I am building rn:
Everything is purple btw ;)
5x Marksman, all divines, all stamina enchant, Medium
1x heavy Molag Kena, also divines and stamina
1x light velidreth, divines, stamina
3x hawk eye juwelry
and hawk eye bow, disease damage
random 2h (got spriggan 2h atm)
Mundus is warrior for the extra weapon damage

I maxed out stamina as well.

So for now everything is the same as the build from Alqast BUT I was wondering: what would be best for the bow trait? Nirnhorned or Sharpened?
Does Nirnhorned give extra damage to my bow abilities as well? Or will Sharpened be better as I don't have any penetration? What do you feel like would be best to gank someone?

My differences with Alqast build come from my bar setup, would like to know what u guys think :)

Bow bar: Silver Shards, Camouflaged Hunter, Shadowy Disguise, Focused Aim, Poison Injection, ULT: flawless Dawnbreaker (reasoning for this setup: extra weapon damage, Shadowy for crit)
2H bar: Rally, Relentless Focus, Shadow Image, Shuffle, Impale, ULT: Onslaught or also flawless Dawnbreaker (reasoning: buffing, escaping from dangerous situations, impale if I cant finish my gank with bow (impale is ranged, same distance as poison injection), ult for extra weapon damage or as finisher).

Another problem I seem to have is having low magicka, especially for escaping enemies with shadowy disguise, should I keep stamina enchant or go for tri-enchant?

Any advice in general? Skills that would be better for me to use? (skills that arent in an expansion because I don't want to buy expansions just for skills xD)

Thanks a lot already everyone!

Greetings,

Veenix
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Alcast has to say on bow ganking, or any kind of solo PVP play style for that matter. @DDuke (Decimus) is someone who actually plays PVP and knows how to set up a good bow build. I would suggest you check his stuff out on youtube.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAwtunes wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Alcast has to say on bow ganking, or any kind of solo PVP play style for that matter. @DDuke (Decimus) is someone who actually plays PVP and knows how to set up a good bow build. I would suggest you check his stuff out on youtube.

We just need a murkmire update for his build
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep some speed/vanish potions slotted to get around your low magicka pool and regen. Consider going vampire if you're not already for the extra regen, and the dark stalker passive. If you don't plan on doing any melee, consider Concealed Weapon on the back bar for the 25% stealth movements speed. Also, make sure you have 4 points into Legerdemain stealth cost reduction.

You NEED at least 1 assassination ability on your front bar to get the extra 10% crit damage from the passive. That will be more raw damage than having the extra FG skill slotted.

I would use Forward Momentum instead of Rally because I'd rather have the snare removal for escaping. Then remove Shuffle, Slot Ambush, morph Impale to Killer's Blade. So you start the gank with the bow from stealth (Snipe, PI), bar swap Ambush, Incap, Killer's Blade, dodge roll, vanish potion, skate.
    Edited by GimpyPorcupine on October 26, 2018 8:57PM
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    Keep some speed/vanish potions slotted to get around your low magicka pool and regen. Consider going vampire if you're not already for the extra regen, and the dark stalker passive. If you don't plan on doing any melee, consider Concealed Weapon on the back bar for the 25% stealth movements speed. Also, make sure you have 4 points into Legerdemain stealth cost reduction.

You NEED at least 1 assassination ability on your front bar to get the extra 10% crit damage from the passive. That will be more raw damage than having the extra FG skill slotted.

I would use Forward Momentum instead of Rally because I'd rather have the snare removal for escaping. Then remove Shuffle, Slot Ambush, morph Impale to Killer's Blade. So you start the gank with the bow from stealth (Snipe, PI), bar swap Ambush, Incap, Killer's Blade, dodge roll, vanish potion, skate.

Thanks for the advice :) am vamp alrdy, didnt know about the other things haha, any advice for bow trait?
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Well Marksman and Hawkeye are a good choice right? Cost reduction en more damage. I have tried Hunding + Spriggans but my stamina was gone sooo fast xD
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VeenixO wrote: »

Thanks for the advice :) am vamp alrdy, didnt know about the other things haha, any advice for bow trait?

Try Infused, then test out different glyphs to see what works. I'd start with Crusher.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Marksman and Hawkeye are a good choice right? Cost reduction en more damage. I have tried Hunding + Spriggans but my stamina was gone sooo fast xD

There is the new set that reduces all costs by 6% including cloak, dawnbreaker and channeled
    Edit: but I also agree
    Edited by JobooAGS on October 26, 2018 9:02PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For pure ganking potential? No. Marksman and Hawkeye increase your damage by percentage modifiers which do not stack well with the passive Hawk Eye as well as CP. You would be better off with Spriggans on one bar and Hundings on the primary bar, although there are even better setups than that. If using Lethal Arrow, Morag Tong scales well as the percentage damage increase is added as a debuff and doesn't stack the same way with your other percentage modifiers.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

For pure ganking potential? No. Marksman and Hawkeye increase your damage by percentage modifiers which do not stack well with the passive Hawk Eye as well as CP. You would be better off with Spriggans on one bar and Hundings on the primary bar, although there are even better setups than that. If using Lethal Arrow, Morag Tong scales well as the percentage damage increase is added as a debuff and doesn't stack the same way with your other percentage modifiers.

Well I wont be using cp, only do non cp pvp. I just thought the build was pretty good for sniping many people down. So is Marksman and hunding or marksman and spriggan a good choice instead of hawk eye?
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

There is the new set that reduces all costs by 6% including cloak, dawnbreaker and channeled
    Edit: but I also agree

Gotta look into that xD
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

Try Infused, then test out different glyphs to see what works. I'd start with Crusher.

But wouldnt sharpened or nirnhorned be better for pure damage output?
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes. Infused would be a risky choice. You need to burst very quickly and leave combat or you will just get blown away by dw enchant procs.

I like sharp on my bow build and use a poison enchant. Infused would be a bad choice for a burst build like the one you want. I run Spriggan and Automaton for max damage and use the max stam and magic recovery food. I know you don't want to get summerset but the psijic skill line is so good. I am using a fun combo of focused aim, imbue weapon then silver shards cancelled with light attack. Takes a bit of practice and low ping but you can land all at pretty much the same time. If you don't get imbue weapon then you will probably just be stood in a field firing snipe, and no one likes that guy :wink:
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

Yes. Infused would be a risky choice. You need to burst very quickly and leave combat or you will just get blown away by dw enchant procs.

I like sharp on my bow build and use a poison enchant. Infused would be a bad choice for a burst build like the one you want. I run Spriggan and Automaton for max damage and use the max stam and magic recovery food. I know you don't want to get summerset but the psijic skill line is so good. I am using a fun combo of focused aim, imbue weapon then silver shards cancelled with light attack. Takes a bit of practice and low ping but you can land all at pretty much the same time. If you don't get imbue weapon then you will probably just be stood in a field firing snipe, and no one likes that guy :wink:

I decided to go with disease damage for my bow to make sure they dont outheal the damage I do to them if they get out of the stun from sneak attack. Think I will try sharpened as I dont have any penetration atm. Thx for the advice of the rotation u use, I myself was thinking of two snipes and poison injection, hoping that will kill the enemy but gotta test a bit more to see if I do enough damage with that :)
    Edited by VeenixO on October 26, 2018 10:47PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I wont be using cp, only do non cp pvp. I just thought the build was pretty good for sniping many people down. So is Marksman and hunding or marksman and spriggan a good choice instead of hawk eye?

With the change to sheilds Spriggan is a good choice over Hawkeye. Hundings is also a decent choice. Don't go Automaton unless you are using Focused Aim.
    Templar's are evil..
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering bow builds don't have access to Major Fracture, I would go with NMG over Spriggans. You get more penetration for your ganks that way.

Another thing to consider for a bow gank is Asylum ganking. This is probably the highest damage setup but you have to learn to position yourself at the right distance. Can be very fun though.
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    So after a lot of thinking etc I was wondering if this build would be any good?
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=93735

For those not wanting to open any links:
    Anything purple again, stamina enchant and divines
    5x marksman
    1x veli
    1x molag kena
    morag tong jewelry, all robust and weapon damage enchant
    morag tong bow, sharpened and disease enchant
    warrior mundus

Bow bar: Ambush, camouflaged hunter, shadowy disguise, lethal arrow, poison injection, ULT: flawless dawnbreaker
    2H bar: Rally, relentless focus, shadow image, concealed weapon, killer's blade, ULT: flawless dawnbreaker or onslaught
    reasoning for this setup: ambush for extra weapon and crit damage, fighter guild skills for extra weapon damage, shadowy for guaranteed crit, lethal arrow because many people say its better than focused aim, poison inection for extra poison damage.
    Rally for heals and buff, relentless for buff, shadow image to escape, concealed for sneaking speed, killer's blade as finished with ambush if my bow can't do the job.

What you guys think of this?

QUESTIONS: Does the disease damage from my bow enchant stack with major defile from lethal arrow? Lethal arrow + poison injection stacks?

Thanks a lot already for all the help!
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    QUESTIONS: Does the disease damage from my bow enchant stack with major defile from lethal arrow? Lethal arrow + poison injection stacks?

Well yes you can proc the disease damage from the enchant but the status effect is now major defile, not minor. It will therefore not stack with the defile from lethal arrow. You can get minor defile from poisons.

Lethal arrow + poison injection stacks?

I dont know what you are asking here.
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

Well yes you can proc the disease damage from the enchant but the status effect is now major defile, not minor. It will therefore not stack with the defile from lethal arrow. You can get minor defile from poisons.

Well lethal arrow is poison damage and poison inection as well, will there be 2 poison dots applied or just one?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well lethal arrow is poison damage and poison inection as well, will there be 2 poison dots applied or just one?

Any poision ability can proc poisoned status effect, which is a small dot. This effect can only be applied once and some races (bosmer, argoian) are immune to it.

By itself Lethat Arrow does not have any DoT component, it is a direct hit attack. Posion Injection has a DoT component as a part of the ability. It can stack with any other DoTs. Don't quote me on that but I remember something about only the initial hit of PI proccing poisoned status effect though.
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

Any poision ability can proc poisoned status effect, which is a small dot. This effect can only be applied once and some races (bosmer, argoian) are immune to it.

By itself Lethat Arrow does not have any DoT component, it is a direct hit attack. Posion Injection has a DoT component as a part of the ability. It can stack with any other DoTs. Don't quote me on that but I remember something about only the initial hit of PI proccing poisoned status effect though.

Oh okay cool thank you :)
    What about my build changes tho? Think those are good or?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Feels a bit all over the place. If your intention is to bow gank your bow should finish the job or you cloak out and try again. Ambush gives them one GCD to heal up from execute and your Killers Blade will be useless and you put your very squishy self right next to them. Bad idea.

On bow ganking build you should dedicate everything to increasing damage of Snipe. Consider slotting Channeled Acceleration. Expedition is good for positioning and Minor Force will give you more crit damage. You can try slotting Incap on your back bar for those close range situations where you can go Cloak -> Snipe -> Incap.

And I feel that just sharpened is not enough penetration for a gank build. You'll probably get more damage from spriggans or NMG than from Morag Tong.
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭

Feels a bit all over the place. If your intention is to bow gank your bow should finish the job or you cloak out and try again. Ambush gives them one GCD to heal up from execute and your Killers Blade will be useless and you put your very squishy self right next to them. Bad idea.

On bow ganking build you should dedicate everything to increasing damage of Snipe. Consider slotting Channeled Acceleration. Expedition is good for positioning and Minor Force will give you more crit damage. You can try slotting Incap on your back bar for those close range situations where you can go Cloak -> Snipe -> Incap.

And I feel that just sharpened is not enough penetration for a gank build. You'll probably get more damage from spriggans or NMG than from Morag Tong.

Oh okay because someone else told me that morag tong would be good with Lethal arrow? I don't have acces to expansion skills unfortunatly xD
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh okay because someone else told me that morag tong would be good with Lethal arrow? I don't have acces to expansion skills unfortunatly xD

Morag Tong is good with lethal Arrow. And you can stack it with a pen set. You don't want to over invest into pen as many light/medium players are not running high resistances. Although, arguably thats not an issue, especially now that resistances affect virtually everything.
    Templar's are evil..
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly. Lethal Arrow applies the poisoned status effect 100% of the time on targets that can be affected by the poisoned status effect. The poisoned status effect is a dot. Therefore by itself Lethal Arrow does have a dot effect, just some people are immune.

The poisoned status effect does stack with Poison Injection dot. But you cannot double stack the status effect. The status effect is a low percentage chance from poison based damage, so not being able to double stack it is not an issue.
    Templar's are evil..
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    thx for all replies, decided to go spriggans + marksman and change my bar up a bit, it seems to work pretty well atm but my build ingame isn't 100% done yet so looking forward for even better performance once it is completed :)
  • Heimdarm
    Heimdarm
    ✭✭✭
    I am experimenting a bow/bow build as well. I put Mark Target >>> Reaping Mark skill on the enemy before I attack so I can reduce it's resistance. If you do this as well, and use sharpened on bow then you could try out another set instead of spriggan. If you use snipe-and poison injection skills you may try out morag tong, or swamp raider set with marksman. maybe swamp raider and morag-tong combination could be even better. atm I am experimenting with the razor shot bow, but it seems weaker then original ganking builds..

I am very low on gold so I haven't tested yet, all the set combinations... :/ but in theory morag+swamp raider should be the best burst choice, but with very low sustain...

may I ask why do you play in non-cp campaign? is it better suited for a ganker build?

edit: if you check swamp raider set in eso wiki page it's old info. you dont need to use magicka ability to get the +weapon damage
    Edited by Heimdarm on October 28, 2018 8:41AM
  • VeenixO
    VeenixO
    ✭✭
    Heimdarm wrote: »
    I am experimenting a bow/bow build as well. I put Mark Target >>> Reaping Mark skill on the enemy before I attack so I can reduce it's resistance. If you do this as well, and use sharpened on bow then you could try out another set instead of spriggan. If you use snipe-and poison injection skills you may try out morag tong, or swamp raider set with marksman. maybe swamp raider and morag-tong combination could be even better. atm I am experimenting with the razor shot bow, but it seems weaker then original ganking builds..

I am very low on gold so I haven't tested yet, all the set combinations... :/ but in theory morag+swamp raider should be the best burst choice, but with very low sustain...

may I ask why do you play in non-cp campaign? is it better suited for a ganker build?

edit: if you check swamp raider set in eso wiki page it's old info. you dont need to use magicka ability to get the +weapon damage

Oh cool, well let me know if you have the sets tested out! :) I am currently also testing a 2 handed gank build with the 2H Ult. In theory it should be way better than bow ganking... But my first tests didn't go well so I have to learn to play it.

I play non-cp because it is more fair for everyone. I don't have time to farm cp till max just to be able to compete against others. Some might say non-cp is even harder because all you have is your sets and skills and no extra benefits. But I prefer it over cp pvp.
  • Felexir
    Felexir
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of luck with spriggans and Twice born star (with lover and warrior mundus stones). Both spriggans rings are infused and the neck is berserker for bonus execute damage on that poison inject. Divines in all the armor, the spriggans bow is nirnhoned, and I have an asylum 2H for ulti gen. I have a lot of luck with this in Cyrodiil, Imperial City, and Battlegrounds.
    Build video: https://youtu.be/WqVCdZPDXXU

Battlegrounds videos:
    https://youtu.be/RNopO_YDpyY
    https://youtu.be/AUfh_4pgdbk
    Edited by Felexir on January 17, 2019 6:34PM
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nailed it.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Dark_Shady
    Dark_Shady
    ✭✭
    I have been main bow build since launch, I am not a ganker either. A good and easy set up would be marksman / shacklebreaker. i have some videos on my youtube channel of using that or even bone pirate shackle is a good beginning set up...

The main idea is that Lethal arrow is your big burst damage, its tricky to land but its your main burst and also applies major defile. I pair up a lethal with a light attack and then a poison injection, its a solid burst with a good smooth feel to it.

Draining Shot: people complain about it but this is a great way to ensure you land your lethal burst and also can be used as a defensive.

Being a nightblade really helps with bow builds, Relentless focus and shadowy disguise are great tools (i dont use stealth anymore) but Relentless if you build it up and can land the assassins will along with lethal arrow can be a really high burst.

Last thing i will say is most bow builds go for straight damage and have no way to really defend their selves or rely way to heavily on using stealth. if you are going for a ganker style of game play that's fine, but bow doesn't just mean pumping out the hardest lethals as possible. I personally Run Nord Nightblade using 5 medium 2 heavy and monster set either troll king, or bloodspawn and 1 piece protective on jewelry. point being i build with a bit of beef behind it. All medium and stealth blade will get blown up. Just down to your playstyle and what you want to do

Youtube channel if you want to see how i play with Bow. will upload more soon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNUtvsOmrscabn244rNW1YA