The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Viable second weapon set for Tank characters?

Maulclaw
Maulclaw
✭✭✭
From what I've seen it seems all tank characters solely rely on sword/shield. I was wondering if any other weapons could be used as a second set? Or are both sets weapon/shield based?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level of content are you aiming for?

For harder content, most run double 1H and Shield.

The other common second weapon is an Ice staff, for people who like magicka tanking.

Now, for normal dungeons you can run whatever you like. I've run bow, dual wield, ice staff, fire staff, and resto staff as my back bar weapon.

My leveling nightblade tank is using 1H&S and ice staff, and I like it quite a bit.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice staff is the only quasi bonafide tanking weapon. Zos retrofitted the weapon for tanking but it is not as strong as S&B nor does it offer as much utility as S&B provides major breach and Fracture and Slash is a more reliable source of Maim.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dual Wield will be a more attractive option, come next patch. Blade Cloak will give you some nice mitigation in situations with lots of aoe damage (which there are plenty of), and Blood Craze will allow you to keep up two back bar enchants pretty easily, while healing a bit too.

Assuming ZOS doesn't sneak in some last minute DW/enchantments nerf, which I would not put past them.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, Lightning staves can be a decent option. You can help with Off-Balancing enemies, when you're in groups without dps taking care of that already. Elemental Blockade also can deliver good uptimes on back bar enchants. And if you're running content without a dedicated healer, you can also apply Ele Drain (again, if the DD aren't doing that for themselves).
    Edited by GreenHere on October 20, 2018 10:39PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a casual all my tanks are magicka with one bar dedicated tanking and the other bar hybrid healing and/or damage. These setups are for normal dungeons, and possibly non-DLC veteran dungeons at best, not for trials or harder stuff.

Templar - Imperial
    1H/Shield: Blazing Spear, Puncturing Sweep, Pierce Armor, Channeled Focus, Repentance, Empowering Sweep
    Resto Staff: Structured Entropy, Reflective Light, Purifying Light, Ritual of Retribution, Ritual of Rebirth, Remembrance

Dragon Knight - Imperial
    1H/Shield: Stone Giant, Flame Lash, Pierce Armor, Volatile Armor, Green Dragon Blood, Standard of Might
    Fire Staff: Eruption, Engulfing Flame, Elemental Blockade, Cauterize, Draw Essence, Elemental Rage.

Nightblade - Argonian
    1H/Shield: Swallow Soul, Debilitate, Pierce Armor, Mirage, Dark Cloak, Veil of Blades
    Frost Staff: Sap Essence, Twisting Path, Elemental Blockade, Lotus Fan, Merciless Resolve, Soul Tether

Sorcerer - Orc
    1H/Shield: Endless Fury, Haunting Curse, Pierce Armor, Boundless Storm, Twilight Matriarch, Suppression Field
    Lightning Staff: Destructive Clench, Lightning Flood, Elemental Blockade, Empowering Ward, Twilight Matriarch, Elemental Rage

Warden - Norde
    1H/Shield: Screaming Cliff Racer, Fetcher Infection, Pierce Armor, Ice Fortress, Enchanted Growth, Healing Thicket
    Frost Staff: Winter's Revenge, Arctic Blast, Elemental Blockade, Blue Betty, Lotus Blossom, Northern Storm
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not at all. Most trial tanks use a Destro Staff on their back bar, sometimes Shock, sometimes Frost. Next patch I'll be using Dual Wield.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it should be noted that most knowledgeable trial tanks advocate double sword and board in the hard content until you become very comfortable with fights. Don’t start runnining lightning staff when you first dive into vet trials/dlc dungeons.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what you want to do. Only things I don't see often are 2 hander and bow.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watch Woeler's YouTube channel / his website. The reason to use the ice staff:

(a) You still have block mitigation on that bar, but typically don't use the passive that turns it into blocking with magicka.
    (b) You put down Elemental Blockade, which will keep procing the off-bar enchant, even as you swap back to 1H+S.

You'd have to check on point (b), since this keeps changing each patch. The idea is to have an infused Crusher enchant on the front bar and an Infused Weakening enchant on the back bar, keeping the back bar enchant procked while Elemental Blockade is up.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulclaw wrote: »
    From what I've seen it seems all tank characters solely rely on sword/shield. I was wondering if any other weapons could be used as a second set? Or are both sets weapon/shield based?

Double sword+shield is probably the simplest choice with best protection for the tank. Ice Staff is common is also common (even when you dont have the passive that turns block cost to magicka). Ice Blockade is good maiming tool with snare and in some places you can slot crushing shock or eledrain if not provided by healer.

Also seen some lightning staves for blockade that gives vulnerability, but that gives reduced protection on back bar. Works in dungeons but wouldnt recommend it on vTrials. Unless you know exactly what you are doing.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run double s&b on my dk. Whenever I try to run an ice staff on the back bar for blockade and the heavy attack ranged taunt it seems good in theory and does give me a bit of damage. But when things get challenging, I fight to stay alive, get frustrated and quickly go back to double s&b. Less dps but nearly unkillable.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safer option: Double S&B
    Safe Utility: S&B/Ice Staff (Slows, blockade procs enchant, can use ele drain/crushing shock)
    Utility: S&B/Lightning Staff (Procs off balance, blockade procs enchant, can use ele drain/crushing shock)

Next patch running DW back bar will also make it onto that list, since you will be able to proc 2x enchants with rending, get a slight HoT and optionally run blade cloak for AoE mitigation.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Depends what you want to do. Only things I don't see often are 2 hander and bow.

2 hander has snare removel and long lasting hot. Bow has a AOE root.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My primary tank uses a 2-hander. Rally is his main heal over time, and the brawler damage shield is great sometimes (and will be even better next patch since it will inherit his high resistences). In trials most probably don’t notice his 2-hander though since he is usually on his 1h and shield bar.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Asylum 2h can be popular for ultigen and would be a reason to use 2h on a tank in addition to the benefits that others noted.

Bow has a passive for on demand major expedition and a ranged interrupt in addition to the benefits that others noted.

I’d say you’re right that they’re certainly less common choices than the other skill lines, but — to OP’s question— they’re viable.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordic bath towel, for the real hard ones