The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MagDK sustain nerf

• Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Don't really have a strong footing in this conversation because I don't play the class too much, but can we not forget that almost every DK skill is fire damage which affects vampires with +20% damage.

I know it's stupid and I'm working on changing this, but I enjoy using one character for pve, pvp, etc. It's my crafter, my end game trial character and BG character, don't really bother with cyrodiil due to not wanting to change my cp and generally don't find it that entertaining.

What I'm getting at is, I like many others probably use 1 character for multiple tasks in game, I just enjoy that aspect and I currently use vampire because I require the +10% stam regen. That means any time a DK catches me I'm pretty much toast. The fact that your class kit has +20% damage to large chunk of the game's player base is a pretty strong benefit.

Like I said, I'm working on making an alt strictly for PvP, just to give me that added edge.

That being said, it would be nice if DK's had a better sustain tool then just ult dump or fire status procs. I have a mDK too, but I don't play it that often. Are mDK's using Deep Thoughts?

Edit: Is it 25%? Can't find it online.

Yet even with that disadvantage, you still keep vampire. What do you think that really says?

If you read the rest of their post, you'd find the answer to your question. But you asked it anyway - what do you think that really says?
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »
    Mag DK’s really have nothing to complain about. You should never lose to any class that relies on range (while your ranged dps is insane) and you can burst for more damage than pretty much any class in the game with bsw and Valkyn skoria. It’s really a no talent class full of board whiners.

*hands bottle of milk* Don't cry lil sorc suckling =^_^=

1. "burst for more damage than pretty much any class": What is mDKs burst? 14k (Yes, assuming a fully buffed Siroria mDK is hitting you) Power Lash? Stamblade will roll dodge, Magblade/Magsorc got shield, burst gone, which took a CC, then a Whip to proc. Then our beloved Dragon Dunk, with changes to evasion, it'll hit 25% less hard which barely used to ht anyone thanks to roll dodge or just shield and block.
    2. "bsw and Valkyn skoria": Available to all classes.
    3. "no talent class full of board whiners": Thanks :blush: Explains our current condition, either played by RPers or my fanatics who somehow manage to wreck people like you.

If you ever lose to any class 1v1 except a stamden or stamplar you are playing the class wrong. Plain and simple.

So you must be playing it wrong then also. A truly good Sorc would not lose to mDK and get salty and post his salt on forums. ;)
    Xvorg wrote: »
    kojou wrote: »
    Last I checked whip was more like 2-2.5k...

Even so I don't think Lich is the best choice. Magicka DKs don't have a lot of synergy with a regen build. You would be better off with other sets...

I haven't ran a DK in PvP for a while but when I did I actually ran Bloodspawn and Dragonguard for more Battle Roar. Pair that with Burning Spellweave and you should have plenty of resources given that you now also get Magic from burning procs. If you still need more then back bar a VMA Resto staff for healing and sustain.

On a side note, getting Embers at 7m is going to be a lot bigger buff than I think most people are acknowledging.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Magicka DK's need more magicka sustain, but this nerf is actually pretty small compared to the other things that made it into Nerfmire.

Burning proc is borderline useless. A class designed to recover resources on battle should have a way to recover the outside battle, otherwise it is easy to gank the DK after he fought for 5 minutes. Not to mention how NBs and some sorcs can just kite , getting themselves outside battle and coming back full resources while you still have half of them.

But it's balanced, you know...

Just want to chime in... burning proc is a lot of free damage. Basically a free random dot. Agree that DK sustain could use help, but their are ways around it atm. Build to the strengths of the class.

What strength? Damage? No because no sustain. Heal? No. Just no. Don't even try. Tank? Not in PvP and stam counter parts make better tank thanks to sets. And no. I would not consider something that ticks for 100~200s at best 'a lot of free damage'. If it ticked as hard as bleed, then that's 'a lot of free damage'. But it is not. It gets mitigated by CPs, armors and racial. DK probably has the highest trade off of damage/sustain. If you build for sustain, you lack damage which translates to more casting of abilities which then translates to bad sustain because you are expending resources continuously. Build for damage, you are going to run dry fast, making it difficult to sustain long fights. I can kill things fine with 2.5~3k SD on many other magicka classes. Not on DKs. Fighting competent players is like grueling grind that lasts a lot longer than fighting them with other classes. And in DK's case, it has more to do with the class than truly being equally matched regardless of stam or magicka. So, what is strength of DKs again in PvP? This sustain nerf will force DKs back to 2 sustain sets while others run like crazy with DPS.

All classes need to balance between damage, sustain, and defense. That could be building for all 3 for an open world/duel build or using teammates to compensate for areas you are lacking. Some classes have defenses that are easier to use in practice, but despite the bias a lot of people show here, different situations allow variance in effectiveness for all defenses.

On to DK strengths. Multiple dots, cc, offensive healing, decent stackable delayed burst combos, etc. You can combine several aspects in the DK kit for different playstyles that will allow for a viable pvp build. I know you will focus comparing DK dots to bleeds, and, only focusing on damage, bleed damage and resistance interaction is over performing and not hitting the goal of being a counter to only tanks. I still find DK dot pressure to be adequate when used correctly and taking advantage of the extra skill effects they offer.

I think of burning as damage boost for whatever ability applied it. It has about a 1000 damage per tick tooltip for my build. I think it's effective but to each their own.

As for sustain, the battle roar change is rough but utilizing a destro staff for minor magicka steal, LA, the burning regen passive, being less spammy, and mechanics regarding ult and other skill lines, I am able to sustain without a dedicated regen set or regen/ cost reduction glyphs. I ran a sustain set before with all damage glyphs and found I could drop the sustain set with change in playstyle. Find out what works for you.

Edit: forgot about burning damage increase passive. Burning has a tooltip of about 1500 per tick for me.

Give me a good reason to build around DoTs when mDK DoTs happen to be the most mitigated and laughable damage source. Putting 72 in Thau won't change much. If it was like a bleed, sure DK will be very OP. But it is not like bleed. Properly built dps builds only take what 700 at the most? Compare that to Masters DW bleed that goes above and beyond. No reason to build DoT as mDK as ironic as it sounds.

Not salty at all. The mag dk ability as the marketed tank class to do more ranged damage than sorcerers is remarkably dumb and imbalancing. Regardless of where you get that damage in skill lines. Your class does not pay a survivability cost for damage and never has. One of the silly parts of this game. It is also a major reason, through itemization and other factors, that every other character you see in pvp is a mag dk. It isnt because they like the look of the wings. Class spec is stupidly overpowered and when the requirement to even face one is to constantly be spamming shields just to deal with the dps zos lets them have (at range while they can reflect most ranged dps without a counter) is *** ***. You know it. Everyone knows it. You defend it because it helps you.

I think your last sentence speaks for you. Salty but not salty at all apparently. You don't even play a mDK, if I remember. So... tell me, how is a mDK going to be tanky with 2 full damage sets without much sustain at all? Because those builds hit hard but are just as easy to kill even with a tank build. Their sustain is so bad that so they usually end up running with Swift on when they realize they failed to kill anyone. Anyone hitting me with high damage whip dies within 2 seconds of getting CC'd basically. And those survive usually do damages that might be enough to kill a bowtard but not above potato level players which reflects the damage being traded off for sustain. So... yeah. No trade off right? My mNB with all recovery glyphs and max magicka survives longer and hits harder without Cloak even. And I still retain damage to kill players better than potato level. So... yeah. This is trade off in your opinion?
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Don't really have a strong footing in this conversation because I don't play the class too much, but can we not forget that almost every DK skill is fire damage which affects vampires with +20% damage.

I know it's stupid and I'm working on changing this, but I enjoy using one character for pve, pvp, etc. It's my crafter, my end game trial character and BG character, don't really bother with cyrodiil due to not wanting to change my cp and generally don't find it that entertaining.

What I'm getting at is, I like many others probably use 1 character for multiple tasks in game, I just enjoy that aspect and I currently use vampire because I require the +10% stam regen. That means any time a DK catches me I'm pretty much toast. The fact that your class kit has +20% damage to large chunk of the game's player base is a pretty strong benefit.

Like I said, I'm working on making an alt strictly for PvP, just to give me that added edge.

That being said, it would be nice if DK's had a better sustain tool then just ult dump or fire status procs. I have a mDK too, but I don't play it that often. Are mDK's using Deep Thoughts?

Edit: Is it 25%? Can't find it online.

Yet even with that disadvantage, you still keep vampire. What do you think that really says?

It says Elusive Mist is OP :trollface:
    Argonian forever
  • sandelius
    sandelius
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this thread did not end up how I thought it would. MagDK's PvE sustain is so bad that you have to eat your cereal with a fork to save milk.