The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

As a Templar Healer which skills do you wish were better?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Do you find any of the skills used in support situations to feel lacking?
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know a single person or build that uses Force Siphon. This skill needs a revamp very badly.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is great, next patch is a deserved but great buff , no need for more
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edit: nevermind
    Edited by exeeter702 on October 20, 2018 3:44PM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know a single person or build that uses Force Siphon. This skill needs a revamp very badly.

Not exactly a Templar specific problem, but yeah, this. Cast times are in-game equivalent of a wet-willy. I can tolerate them, to a point; but eventually they just make me want to hit someone.

Clappy Hands (I don't know the actual name of the Templar skill without getting online, haha) has never really had a place on my bar. Even after they removed the cast time. I simply don't need such an expensive heal that does nothing I couldn't do other ways more efficiently. I'd love to see it reworked somehow. Maybe like a powerful magicka version of Echoing Vigor.

I know some people do like and use it, but Radiant Aura seems like it could do better too. My thought would be to have it grant the Minor Health, Stam, and Mag regen to nearby allies for ~20sec, in addition to a short duration of Minor Protection or something.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first answer that comes to mind is the skills that have been nerfed over the years ... most notably Shards, Breath of Life, and Radiant Destruction.

Especially Shards which I do not think was over-performing.

This is a thread that @Joy_Division could write paragraphs about ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 20, 2018 4:56PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant ward should grant major mending.

Rite of passage should snare instead of immobilize.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring and Radiant Aura. Repentance is great, the base and the other Morph needs some work. I think Radiant used to provide both Major and Minor versions of the recovery, I would like it to go back to that instead of a blanket magicka steal debuff. It doesn't seem to work right and as a healer, it aggroes more things than you actually want, especially in tight areas.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring and Radiant Aura. Repentance is great, the base and the other Morph needs some work. I think Radiant used to provide both Major and Minor versions of the recovery, I would like it to go back to that instead of a blanket magicka steal debuff. It doesn't seem to work right and as a healer, it aggroes more things than you actually want, especially in tight areas.

It no longer agros this was fixed.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #BringBackBlindingLight
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • THE_BIG_BOSS
    THE_BIG_BOSS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should get Major mending Back. Wtf is a Templar without Major mending???
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We should get Major mending Back. Wtf is a Templar without Major mending???

Minor mending?
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healing Ritual. It's time they stop polishing that turd and just make it an AoE HOT like Vigor. And make one morph self-only and cost way less.

Radiant Aura. Pure garbage. Back to the drawing board with this.

• Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Healing Ritual. It's time they stop polishing that turd and just make it an AoE HOT like Vigor. And make one morph self-only and cost way less.

Radiant Aura. Pure garbage. Back to the drawing board with this.

Healing ritual is an underrated pvp skill. Best deal in game for a zerg healer, it's massive.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant aura is just the worst...
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have no place for EleDrain on destro bar, so im using Siphon and Aura in some DPS intensive boss fights. Im offensive "fake" healer for dungeons only.
  • Lark82
    Lark82
    ✭✭✭
    Shards needs to go back to having its own synergy. We can only have one down at a time anyway.

Radiant aura needs to be reworked into something that is actually useful.

Clappy heal needs the cost reduced a bit. Why are templar skills so expensive?

Breath of life has been nerfed so many times, give it back a bit better secondary heal.

Balanced warrior should give spell damage to make it.. well.. balanced.

• swirve
    swirve
    ✭✭✭✭

Agree, i used to use quick siphon but as another way to proc SPC which has pretty much become redundant due to Olorime
    Edited by swirve on October 21, 2018 1:18PM
  • swirve
    swirve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abilities that need to be improved are the ones not used. I mostly HoT heal and orbs.

Must use:

Shards
    Ritual of retribution

Sometimes use:

Channeled Focus
    BoL

Rarely use:

Solar prison
    Radiant Aura

Never use:

Rite of passage (no morphs)
    Healing ritual (no morphs)

Non Templar skills:
    CP, Mutagen, Springs, orbs and overflowing altar... stopped using quick siphon
  • chesspilgrim
    chesspilgrim
    ✭✭
    as a templar healer, my class skills really are not my problem. my problem is with this support mentality, what is expected of a healer, because it is not supported (in my opinion) by the game design.

i am expected to buff stam/mag with synergies. for synergies, i have two skills to do that, orbs and shards, but they share 1 timer? why is that? do dps have to only use 1 dot at a time? why can’t i lob orbs at the tank and drop shards on the far dps? are these skills designed primarily for damage or for delivering synergies? i would prefer an option to have something like shards that did no damage, but that i could use to drop synergies on each of my teammates that each could use. and, who uses orbs to dps? can we drop the damage and let them have their own cooldown?

is it accurate to say that support is expected to apply magickasteal and breach? force siphon is a waste of a skill, because it only does one of those. i am expected to carry a lightening staff and slot ele drain. if force siphon had a breach function, then it would be much more useful. i do not know how that fits in with the game design.

is it accurate to say that i am expected to slot a destro staff for wall of elements to apply aoe status effects? because i just taunt the entire room every time i use that skill. is this by design? why does the tank not have an aoe taunt in this game? i have been asked before by the tank, politely and directly, to just heal and not cast damage. is the expectations for a support role mistaken or should the support member constantly pull most of the adds as well as routinely tempt the boss to leave the tank?

maybe my understanding of the support role is misinformed. i will gladly accept feedback. i would like to know if these things: synergies, breaches, and aoe status effects (that also deal damage and taunt) are actually all reasonable support functions that are working as designed. double slotting a resto staff is not even possible in a support role. is this by design?
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as a templar healer, my class skills really are not my problem. my problem is with this support mentality, what is expected of a healer, because it is not supported (in my opinion) by the game design.

*snip* (for length)

maybe my understanding of the support role is misinformed. i will gladly accept feedback. i would like to know if these things: synergies, breaches, and aoe status effects (that also deal damage and taunt) are actually all reasonable support functions that are working as designed. double slotting a resto staff is not even possible in a support role. is this by design?

For the last point in particular (aoe damage/status effects), it's probably more accurate to think of these as support optimizations rather than requirements. Doing things the way you describe is what top tier groups have found to be most efficient so that each party member can focus on their own optimized role to get things done as fast as possible. They're vying for the best scores in the world, after all. Could other party member take care of the concussed/Off-Balance with lightning aoes? Sure. But (at least sometimes, as it can change between patches) Lightning damage isn't optimal, so no DD in the group runs it. So it gets relegated to the healer, since your dps is the one that makes most sense to sacrifice. (Also, you run Elemental Drain more for the Magickasteal debuff, not the Major Breach. Major Breach will already be applied on any enemies who matter by the tank 95+% of the time.)

Furthermore, double Restoration staves wouldn't really open up too many extra options for you. The important Resto skills can go on one bar, but you still have skills like Shards(and/or Orbs), Breath of Life, Purifying/Power of the Light (to name a few) to fit into the build somewhere; and they can go on any weapon's bar. One of the main reasons the other weapon for a healer is usually a Destruction staff is the horribly unpleasant cast time Force Siphon has (more specifically, the Siphon Spirit morph). If you're the only source of the Minor Magickasteal buff for your group, you have three options: The horrible and clunky cast time of Siphon Spirit, the Templar skill Restoring/Radiant Aura (which is regarded as a waste of a skill slot by many, and also a non-starter if you chose Repentance), or the easy and free to use Destruction Staff skill (which doesn't even draw aggro!) Elemental Drain. It's an easy choice for most. Plus, if you care about it, you can get more dps using a Destruction staff on the back bar vs two Restoration staves. Again, it's mostly a question of optimizations.

The main thing I'm trying to relate here is that most of the "requirements" you run into are largely just people imitating what they know better groups do, in highly coordinated runs of very hard content. If you're feeling like mixing it up in normal trials or pretty much any dungeon environment, I say go for it. Those are the places to experiment and learn and have fun with things. Because, while you didn't outright say it, I get the impression you have a sort of "why is it my job to do your job?!" kind of feeling when it comes to healer "requirements", and I totally get why people feel this way. If you don't understand the why of some of this stuff, simply being expected to "just do it because it's a healer's job" seems unfair. Especially in situations where you clearly don't need top 1% of the world's population performance to accomplish what your group is after. I get an annoyed chuckle out of people who get all panty-twisted over my off-the-wall healer setups I try out... in places like veteran Spindleclutch 1 or normal Sanctum Ophida, and the like.

Your understanding seems to pretty good to me; you just want to dig into the reasons why the things you've learned are important for a healer are... well, important for a healer. You're on the right track. :)
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kit is already pretty good. Some minor tweaks:

Healing Ritual could use a heal over time morph.
    Cleansing Ritual would benefit from spreading the ticks out to every second instead of every two seconds.
    The secondary heal on BoL is worthless, and would make more sense if it applied to self +2 allies, healing all targets for a diminished amount (66% of the base value).
    Some sort of access to Major Mending would be nice, too.